Vinyl Radio Pod Repair. Which Glue? by Carrolles
Started on: 03-13-2002 11:30 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: connecticutFIERO on 06-15-2002 04:56 PM
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2002 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
What have you used that worked to glue the curled vinyl edges back on the radio surround and console? I tried plastic epoxy but it let go right after I unclamped it.

Thanks

Carroll

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2002 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarrySend a Private Message to LarryDirect Link to This Post
Carroll,
Try Elmer's Probond polyurethane glue. Don't use too much and clamp it very carefully so as not to have waves or bumps. Let it set 24-hours.

Larry

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2002 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I wish I had seen this thread a week ago. I too tried epoxy and it was a joke how quick it let go.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2002 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I just used superglue. I used the cheapest name brand stuff they had at Walmart; been a year and it's still holding tough. Superglue is what was recommended to me by others who have done it...cheap, readily available, and sticks to just about anything that it doesn't destroy.

Bryce
88 GT

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2002 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Nashco. I used a $20 super glue that I bought at a car show with excellent results. A cheaper version should do to. I took a completely torn apart center console and made it almost new with that.

------------------
Alex4mula
:) Red-Original Owner & Yellow AP-1/94 with PM (:

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2002 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I used plastic specific epoxy made by versachem and it's been holding for over a year now. Sold car...but asked the guy I sold it to.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
25 years GM experience

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2002 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
Clean both surfaces with Acetone (stuff works very well, be careful!) and use super glue. I bought some spray on catalyst (accelerator) for the super glue and I would hold the piece by hand, spray it, and then let go and it was done.

The glue has been holding for about a year now.

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2002 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Do you carve out the old foam backing or just glue it back together?
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2002 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I trimmed some of the foam around the edges, just so the "overexpanded" foam was gone and the part could take its original form better.

Bryce
88 GT

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2002 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
I use 3M Quick Fix Adhesive part number 08155. It's expensive at $18 for a one ounce bottle but it's enough to do all you panels and have plenty left over. The best part is, once glued with this stuff, it ain't coming off... period! It actually fuese the vinyl and plastic together. I did mine almost two years ago and it still as good as the day I completed it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it bonds almost instantly so your on your way to your next project without having to wait around until the next day.

Good Luck,
------------------
Roy
Just another stock Blue 87 GT
Suncoast Fieros

JUST ADDED: YELLOW 1988 GT w/ T-Tops, 5-Speed, and Performance Sound.

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 03-16-2002).]

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2002 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I used some vinyl welder, household cleaner, and acetone. removing the foam is a must in my opinion. If you don't remove it now, you will have to later. (speaking from experience) Only remove the foam that is in the area you need to bond though. Leave it on the sides to give the padding. On the shift console I used a combo of double sided foam tape by 3m and vinyl welder to keep the the raised edge. Step 1. Scrape the old foam
Step 2. Clean with soem kind of strong household cleaner Step 3. Wipe with acetone
Step 4. glue and wrap tightly with twine and let sit as long as possible
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2002 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum ConnecticutFiero. It's nice to see another member from CT on the forum. That makes four now, including you, Jncomutt, 84Fieroman, and myself. What town are you from? Have you joined a Fiero club yet? We belong to NEFA/MAFOA and our club website is www.fieropride.com You will find that we have a very active club with a lot of forum members being members in our club too. Maybe we will see you at one of our shows. Welcome and enjoy the forum.

------------------

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2002 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I have yet to join NEFA, but will soon enough. I looked at the site the other day. I want to go to the Old Orchard Beach Fiero show but I am stuck at work. I live in Newington. I saw two Fieros in the last week on the Berlin Turnpike. Have you ever been to the turnpike? Its the best place to check out cars in CT. Very cool on Friday and Saturday nights

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock