Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  V8 owners: Is there a better oil filter seal ??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

V8 owners: Is there a better oil filter seal ?? by 80's BOY
Started on: 05-23-2002 12:06 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: GKDINC on 05-26-2002 10:49 PM
80's BOY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 340
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2002 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 80's BOYSend a Private Message to 80's BOYDirect Link to This Post
okay, in Archie's famous video he tosses out the oil filter seal that comes with the Moroso adapter part and says to make your own. i have meticulously cut out my own seal using filter material and covered it with permagasket upon installation. now for the SECOND time it is pouring out all over my starter. WHAT GIVES ?? it's not that hard to change out, but what should i try next ?? should i use thicker material or is there another gasket i can buy to solve my problems ??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tstroud

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2002 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
Don't put anything on rubber gaskets or they will leak.
I cut a gasket out of the supplied material and it has never leaked.
I put it on dry.

tstroud

80's BOY

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2002 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 80's BOYSend a Private Message to 80's BOYDirect Link to This Post
no, i used feltpaper filter material for the gasket. is that the problem ?
Tcat55371

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2002 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tcat55371Send a Private Message to Tcat55371Direct Link to This Post
I went to the hardware store and bought a 3 gasket kit, (1-paper, 1-cork, and 1- rubber)
I think it was $2.15 and cut it out of the rubber stuff. It's almost an 8th inch thick but it doesn't leak.
tstroud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2002 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
I would use the rubber gasket material.
1/8 inch should be OK.
The stuff I used was thicker than that.
I can't remember how thick it was, that was 2 1/2 years ago.
Be sure you make both gaskets.

tstroud

80's BOY

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2002 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 80's BOYSend a Private Message to 80's BOYDirect Link to This Post
what do you mean by BOTH gaskets ?? i am only concerned with the one over my starter that is leaking like a siv. should i put 2 on it ??
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2002 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Mine seeps occasionally as well. My thought is (well,when I'm motivated)to remove the existing seal, run of to a parts store and buy a new oil filter with the same seal specs. Simply peel the new gasket of and use it.
Sandy
80'sboy: 'I would not use two!' Is your oil pump high volume? Are you using heavy oil? I've found with the cool temp(Canada) that oil pressure is really high when engine is cold (thick oil)... when mine tends to seep!!!

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 05-24-2002).]

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2002 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
I tapped the block and screwed in pipe on my engine.
tstroud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2002 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
There is one gasket that is a circle that seals around the outer edge of the adapter.
The other gasket is a smaller circle with two bolt holes that seals the two oil passages from each other.

tstroud

[This message has been edited by tstroud (edited 05-24-2002).]

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2002 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
The TD Relocation kit (Summit racing) I have has only 1 seal going around the circumference of the adapter, similar to an oil filter. The threaded center(screw on) portion eliminates any chance of a 'oil bypass'.All that to say, only 1 O-ring seal here.
Sandy
tstroud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2002 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
cowans:
I don't think there is room for a spin on type adapter in an archie V-8 kit.
You need to use the kit where you remove the existing spin on filter mount and use the moroso adapter which bolts directly to the block with two bolts.
My starter just barely clears the oil line the way it is.
When using the bolt on adapter you must use both the inner and outer gasket OR use the outer gasket and plug an internal oil passage or else the oil will bypass the filter.

tstroud

PFF
System Bot
tstroud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post

tstroud

527 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by tstroud:
cowans:
You need to use the kit where you remove the existing spin on filter mount and use the moroso adapter which bolts directly to the block with two bolts.
My starter just barely clears the oil line the way it is.
When using the bolt on adapter you must use both the inner and outer gasket OR use the outer gasket and plug an internal oil passage or else the oil will bypass the filter.

tstroud

P.S If yours clears the starter it must be OK.

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Originally posted by tstroud:
cowans:

I know what your saying... I took the time to machine a 90* hole w/pipe thread out of 2 pieces of bronse 1"block. My feed & return hoses just thread on! I have clearance with the starter. I believe Archie plugs 1 of the outlets and uses a block taphole about 3" above.
Sandy

80's BOY

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2002 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 80's BOYSend a Private Message to 80's BOYDirect Link to This Post
i used Archie's method but made some changes. on the Moroso part, i plugged it with a flush allen-type plug from ARP products. i then plumbed the elbow as noted in the video and picked up the tap out of the block for the other line. the problem was that even the BOLT HEADS were too large, so i machined the Moroso bolt holes and countersunk two allen-type screws to gain that 1/16th clearance needed for the starter to engage. but everything is still leaking around the Moroso relocator part. i have the rubber gasket in place inside the block, and made a felt gasket to replace the outer rubber o-ring. what gives ?? still leaking as we speak.
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
What i did with archie's kit was cut one rubber gasket for the inner seal ( the one with the two bolts going threw it) then used two rubber gaskets on the outer ring. This made things close with the starter but everything fit, and no leaks. Gary

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock