Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Are you tired of the roof areas squeaking?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Are you tired of the roof areas squeaking? by West Coast Fiero
Started on: 01-05-2002 10:31 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: crazyd on 02-16-2002 01:47 PM
West Coast Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2002 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
little article I put together for you everybody......
http://clubs.hemmings.com/fieroswest/Tech_index.htm

------------------

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2002 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Thank you! I have that creaking noise when going up or down an incline and it drives me crazy! Also a noise coming from the passenger rear. I'll check those out. Thanks again!

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

86 SE V6 - daily driver

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2002 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sqoach:
Thank you! I have that creaking noise when going up or down an incline and it drives me crazy! Also a noise coming from the passenger rear. I'll check those out. Thanks again!

more often than not it is the top rear most portion of the door rubbing against the rear plastic panel - it will make a vinyl on plastic rubbing sound

------------------

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

SLYGUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2002 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLYGUYSend a Private Message to SLYGUYDirect Link to This Post
I've got a squeak on my 88GT also. I don't notice it when I drive by myself, but recently (during the trip down to see you guys) my brother asked me about a rather annoying squeak coming from the seatbelt upper attachment point nearest his right ear.

Any ideas on that one Eric?

Sly

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2002 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
sounds like the screw for the ground on the rear window defrogger, located just by his right ear underneath the paneling - the article will explain how to cure the problem

------------------

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2002 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot Eric! I have all of those, and I'm going to fix all of them while I put my car back together. Thanks again!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2002 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Good article. I like it.

On a related note, I've noticed an annoying little squeak in my 1987 4-cyl SE. When driving over uneven ground (e.g. causing the frame to twist), I hear a squeak above and behind my head. It sounds like maybe the roof panel and rear clip are rubbing at the seam... or maybe one of those 2 panels rubbing against the top frame member. Or maybe it's somewhere else and is echoing through the frame up there. I really can't tell.

I have the plastic trim panels for the B-pillars removed temporarily, due to the fact that I'm replacing the rear speakers. So it can't be the defroster ground screw problem.

Any thoughts on this one?

------------------

Tweaktech

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-06-2002).]

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2002 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
Good article. I like it.

On a related note, I've noticed an annoying little squeak in my 1987 4-cyl SE. When driving over uneven ground (e.g. causing the frame to twist), I hear a squeak above and behind my head. It sounds like maybe the roof panel and rear clip are rubbing at the seam... or maybe one of those 2 panels rubbing against the top frame member. Or maybe it's somewhere else and is echoing through the frame up there. I really can't tell.

Any thoughts on this one?

follow the article and see if it applies to what you have going on. Also Soap rubbed on the inner portions of the rubbing panels seems to help

------------------

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

Fiero_Freak

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2002 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero_FreakDirect Link to This Post
I found that the squeak on mine was coming from the sail window slightly rubbing the top on the rear clip. I ground it down temporarily. I guess I just have to get some of those nice tinted sail panels.

------------------

Two '87 GT's...
...Double Trouble

btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Freak:
I found that the squeak on mine was coming from the sail window slightly rubbing the top on the rear clip. I ground it down temporarily. I guess I just have to get some of those nice tinted sail panels.

I replaced the quarter windows on my car. I guess I didn't do the passenger side quite right, because the slightest movement makes a creaking and squeaking sound... very annoying. The driver side doesn't do this, so I must have aligned the other side a little too close to the drip rail. Maybe this summer I'll try to fix it, but that darned tape is a pain in the a$$!

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2002 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
I've got a chirping sound (not the tires, unfortunately)that comes from the driver's side of the car. I don't have a defroster, and I get a minor squeak from the sail window but only when I press on it. I tightened the air filter canister because that will occasionally make a chirp when I jerk on it, but I can't figure out anything more than that. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

PFF
System Bot
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
no squeaks here...just that ANNOYING alternator bearing squealing...anyone wanna donate an alternator?

------------------
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rebuilt 2.8, Zr-1 Cowl
Induction Hood, 1/4 Window scoops,
removed spoiler, awaiting blue paint...

SLYGUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2002 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLYGUYSend a Private Message to SLYGUYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by West Coast Fiero:
sounds like the screw for the ground on the rear window defrogger

Thanks. That would help, if I only had the rear window defogger. Oh, I haven't found the defRogger either? LOL

I'll tear it apart and see what I find. Maybe it is some cash stuffed in by an excited assembler at the plant when it was built. Anything can happen ya know!

Sly

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2002 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
mine only squeeks when its cold out i think that my sun roof gaskd shrinks for something in the cold
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2002 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Good writeup!

Another good tip... when you have the headliner removed. The molded rubber on the washer/nuts which bolt the roof down wear, shrink, and tend to crumble. I replaced them with new neoprene washers.

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I've narrowed down this chirping sound. It's a high-pitched sound that I think means metal-to-metal but I'm not sure. It's not the drip rail as mentioned in the tech article. I can reproduce it by repeatedly pressing against the rear corner of the car, anywhere on the body panel behind the fuel door. It happens only when I have the decklid closed, or open up to 95%. After that point the noise stops. It doesn't matter whether the deck grill is in place or not. It doesn't seem to be the cable strap that keeps the lid from opening too far. If I try to put my ear close to it, it sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the leading edge of the decklid by the glass, but it's hard to tell. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyd:
Okay, I've narrowed down this chirping sound. It's a high-pitched sound that I think means metal-to-metal but I'm not sure. It's not the drip rail as mentioned in the tech article. I can reproduce it by repeatedly pressing against the rear corner of the car, anywhere on the body panel behind the fuel door. It happens only when I have the decklid closed, or open up to 95%. After that point the noise stops. It doesn't matter whether the deck grill is in place or not. It doesn't seem to be the cable strap that keeps the lid from opening too far. If I try to put my ear close to it, it sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the leading edge of the decklid by the glass, but it's hard to tell. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

it could be a multitude of things, some being items in the engine bay. If a 6 cylinder, start of by making sure that the air filter housing and all related parts are securely fastened. Or, it is possible that it may be coming from beneath the body panels which is very common. This is caused by plastic fastening hardware deteriorating over time and becoming brittle, letting panels gradually move and shift which will lead to further noise.

------------------

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys,
This was as if you answered my question before I posted it.

Ain't that Sunkin'

ferrari_momo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrari_momoSend a Private Message to ferrari_momoDirect Link to This Post
Eric,
hey, what do u think about roof scoop? i have been thinking about making that. fiero n furious lol. how are things going there? thanks for the help on techinical in the past friend.
pat kalsmith
West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ferrari_momo:
Eric,
hey, what do u think about roof scoop? i have been thinking about making that. fiero n furious lol. how are things going there? thanks for the help on techinical in the past friend.
pat kalsmith

I think it wouldnt let you put up your sun roof j/k hehe

I actually would love to see something like that, with the addition of smoothing the rear panels of a fast6back, or lengthening the sail panel pillars aft on a notchback, along with Aus's side scoop kit and rockers - if you come up with a product like this, you have cash from me to get it - providing I have a Fiero =-) , but what the hell I could throw it on my K5 Blazer, haha - j/k

Your onto something there - follow it through as no one that I know of has has any intentions of doing a roof scoop - I think it would be sweet ass!!!!

------------------

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Eric, I'd already tightened the air filter canister nut. I had noticed that as a possible source of lots of problems, but it didn't go away. Since you mentioned it again and I was really determined to find it this evening, I tried pushing on it again and found the source of the noise. Upon taking it all apart, I discovered that the two 10mm bolts which secure the lower portion of it to the body were halfway unscrewed. I must have done it at some point during all the cradle drops for the 3.4 installation, but for the life of me I can't remember doing it. Anyway, tightening down those two bolts got rid of it. Thanks!

Now I've got another one. It's coming from the area of that defogger ground screw on the passenger side, but I have no defogger. When I took the panel out, I couldn't find anything like it. So I assume it's something else. I whacked on the pillar but it was solid. I also sprayed down the door latch mechanism with lithium grease, but that wasn't it either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

PFF
System Bot
West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyd:
Thanks Eric, I'd already tightened the air filter canister nut. I had noticed that as a possible source of lots of problems, but it didn't go away. Since you mentioned it again and I was really determined to find it this evening, I tried pushing on it again and found the source of the noise. Upon taking it all apart, I discovered that the two 10mm bolts which secure the lower portion of it to the body were halfway unscrewed. I must have done it at some point during all the cradle drops for the 3.4 installation, but for the life of me I can't remember doing it. Anyway, tightening down those two bolts got rid of it. Thanks!

Now I've got another one. It's coming from the area of that defogger ground screw on the passenger side, but I have no defogger. When I took the panel out, I couldn't find anything like it. So I assume it's something else. I whacked on the pillar but it was solid. I also sprayed down the door latch mechanism with lithium grease, but that wasn't it either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

What I have found in this instance is that the top of the interior door panel ( vinyl ) is rubbing against the interior side panel ( plastic ) just where the end of the door meets the panle. It is for you descretion as to what you would lube the small areas with as everybody has diverse opinions on waxes and polishes and the like.

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2002 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I've had that in both my 88 GTs, and usually it's that the screw is loose. I just tightened it after taking the panel off, so I don't think that's it, but I'll try putting a strip of velcro on the plastic so it can't rub the door. This is a louder and higher-pitched sound than I remember that one being, though.

Dave

------------------
[img]http://web2.crazydave.org/pics/fiero-sm.jpg[img]
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed 3.4 (1 of 139)
Major additions: black carpeting, IEI keyless entry, MP3 audio system, custom 10" subwoofer on external 50W amplifier, R-134 A/C, carbon-fiber interior accents, Rodney short shifter, KYB GR-2's, Panther wheels on Sumitomo HTR 225/50/15 rubber
- Black '88 GT 5-speed LS1 at Archie's
- '87 & '98 Corvette Coupes

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock