Glass Cleaner by Jim Keyton
Started on: 11-18-2001 11:23 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: StuGood on 11-23-2001 03:20 PM
Jim Keyton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim KeytonSend a Private Message to Jim KeytonDirect Link to This Post
Just what is the best glass cleaner out there? I have tried all sorts, and they seem to leave a film on the outside and inside.
What is everyone using?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
Cleaning has never been a problem!

I make very sure that I have a good coat of RainX on the windshield, though.

------------------

recluse

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for recluseSend a Private Message to recluseDirect Link to This Post
I cant remember what its called but get the stuff they use at GM dealerships. My buddy used to work at one and used to buy the stuff. It comes in a can and works great! It was about 3 or 4 bucks a can. Worth it though.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Invisible Glass by Stoner works very well for me.
See how the blue background shows through in my sig.
------------------

SC 3800

[This message has been edited by Phil (edited 11-18-2001).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
a couple drops of white vinegar in water and wipe with newspaper. no film, no streaks or smears. I dont know about anybody else, but rainX always seems to leave a greasy, streaked film on mine. Really a pain driving into the sun.
filthyscarecrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for filthyscarecrowSend a Private Message to filthyscarecrowDirect Link to This Post
whatever you do, dno't buy the mopar stuff. got some for free once.. tried it. at night i was wiping with my sleeve just to be able to see...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
If the windows area really crapped up with cigarette tar or diesle exhaust.... regualr cleaners may not work.

Try something like Lysol Basin Tub and Tile cleaner rinsed away with water. This will get the heavy stuff. Then you'll may need regular cleaner to get the last of it.

Turtle wax makes a glass cleaner that seems to work reasonably well on tar dirts...

GM recomends their #1050011 in a TSB about jumpy wipers. In parenthasis they also inditate Bon Ami...

"Clean the winshield with GM#1050011 (Bon Ami) glass celaner or equivalent."

"Important: The glass is clean when rinse water does not 'bead up', but 'sheets' across the entire glass surface. multiple cleanings may be required to remove all contaminants."

There are also cleaners sold for use on beer glasses that should work. (I haven't been able to find any for awhile...) This cleaner is made to leave no residue in beer glasses that will kill the "head"

I don't like RainX on the winshield. More often than not it will contribute to wiper jumping across the glass. I only use RainX on side and rear glass.

I also don't like most Anti Fog products like NeverFog. Most of them seem to leave a nasty film that makes visibility worse.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

filthyscarecrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for filthyscarecrowSend a Private Message to filthyscarecrowDirect Link to This Post
i saw on a speedvision show that you can use normal glass cleaner and then use very fine 0050 steel wool to polish it while it's wet with cleaner. gets the road grime off without hurting the glass adn gives a deeper shine. then just clean again with plain towel and glass cleaner.

[This message has been edited by filthyscarecrow (edited 11-18-2001).]

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Ammonia will get your glass completely clean of anything and everything. Be careful to keep it on your rag and off anything but the glass. It works great if you've got film of some sort though, eliminates any film and gives you a fresh start.

Bryce
88 GT

DR650SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DR650SEClick Here to visit DR650SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to DR650SEDirect Link to This Post
Jim, Use a goood glass cleaner. To wipe the windows once sprayed use newspaper. Trust me I know It sounds funny but I learned of this from my friend that worksat an import place. Works on lots of porches and beemers. It doesn't leave and film or streaks. It looks very good and cheap. THats what I always use. That and windex. Nothing to worry about. Good Luck and let me know how you like it.

------------------
AIM: DR650SE
2 Black 86 SE's V-6 4-SPD

JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2001 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
a couple drops of white vinegar in water and wipe with newspaper. no film, no streaks or smears. I dont know about anybody else, but rainX always seems to leave a greasy, streaked film on mine.

Roger is BANG ON for that one! Perfect cleaner (alcohol & newspapers) and, yes, you do get streaks with RainX.

RainX streaks are removed by good scrubbing w/paper towels (abrasion) or about 2 days of normal wear. After that, I'll never be without!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2001 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
has anyone tried the plain rain-x window cleaner not the one in the yellow botttle
that they say to use on the outside windows.
I bought some of this new cleaner but have not used it yet. It was hard to find but I finally found some at a family dollar store.
Also I was in K-Mart yesterday and they had some $5.99 a bottle. I paid $2.00 dollars at the dollar store.
walsh2001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2001 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for walsh2001Send a Private Message to walsh2001Direct Link to This Post
Have you tried a good glass polish? I used window polish to remove the "fog" from my windshield and mirrors... also awesome on water spots.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT ... Cherry Red

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2001 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:
has anyone tried the plain rain-x window cleaner not the one in the yellow botttle
that they say to use on the outside windows.
I bought some of this new cleaner but have not used it yet. It was hard to find but I finally found some at a family dollar store.
Also I was in K-Mart yesterday and they had some $5.99 a bottle. I paid $2.00 dollars at the dollar store.

Yes I have used it. It works great for polishing and cleaning glass. Especially glass that has stains or small scratches. It will remove the small scratches that are caused by bad dew wipes. (Not all but the small ones)

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2001 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
The very mild abrasive cleaner and polisher recommended to clean class is Bar Keepers Friend. Less than two bicks for a 12 oz can.

------------------
Notchbacks Rule
85GT(show car)
88Coupe (daily driver)
84 Coupe(project car)

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2001 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
Okay, glass cleaner and two bucks. The brain still works late at night but not the typing fingers. Wouldn't using newspapers leave a film of ink? It does on my fingers when I read the Sunday paper. Would it be better just to use virgin newsprint paper without the printing or does the ink actually help?

------------------
Notchbacks Rule
85GT(show car)
88Coupe (daily driver)
84 Coupe(project car)

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2001 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Fierobruiser
You could have a good point there.My Brother use to take a empty Windex Bottle and fill it with plain water and then he would pour about a tablespoon of Ink in it. I thought he was crazy, but since you mentioned it there may be something to this Ink thing.
Man this Forum is something else.

Don

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2001 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Why not just use Windex?It's cheap,available and works as good as anything I have ever tried.I even used it to clean the paint on my show car.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2001 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
newspaper and water/vin is free, cant get much better than that, and no the ink dont streak it. believe me, nothing works better, thats what professional car show people use like in Autoramas. It leaves them absolutely crystal clear.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2001 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe that you guys have never heard of newspaper! I thought that was just a known thing...not a trade secret. We've always used that for cleaning windows; if you're using any sort of towel, you're always going to have some streaking or lint compared to newspaper. It's completely harmless and well worth the $.35 you spend on a paper

Bryce
88 GT

StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2001 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:
I can't believe that you guys have never heard of newspaper...
Yeah, that's old news Sounds like a "Hint from Heloise," especially the vinegar thing, doesn't it?

Seriously, though, I'm going to try that on my Cavalier's windshield. The wipers leave an extremely annoying streak, right in front of the driver's face . Makes long highway trips exhausting. Thanks for the tips

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock