Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  New intake kicks butt! Pic enclosed. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
New intake kicks butt! Pic enclosed. by Cooter
Started on: 10-20-2001 05:24 PM
Replies: 79
Last post by: Cooter on 10-27-2001 09:12 PM
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
After seeing how some folks don't even test what they try to sell, I thought that I would build my own custom intake. Before I started this project, I ran the car with the old intake on the G-tech and got 167 horsepower. I finally got the new itake installed today and kind of hooked up (linkage issues ) and took the same G-tech trip. . . 203 Horsepower! Now, time to tune the chip for even more
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gt boy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt boySend a Private Message to gt boyDirect Link to This Post
what in the hell is that?!

------------------
"it's too bad he had to run out of talent half way through the corner..."

[This message has been edited by gt boy (edited 10-20-2001).]

Gerald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeraldSend a Private Message to GeraldDirect Link to This Post
im gonna have to agree wit gt boy. Dat is fuging ugly. but the #'s are nice

------------------
87 coupe 5 spd

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Now that is ingenious!!! Great #s...kinda looks like the USSEnterprise to me for some reason!?!

You can make anything look nice by hiding it under a piece of plastic!

Hey, did you measure 0-60 increase?

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 10-20-2001).]

Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
LOL! It is 3.5 inch DOM aluminum pipe welded into a stock center section of the stock manifold with two original throttle bodies. Ugly, yes. But close the hood and away you go!
88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
Dual throttle bodies wow! Paint them red.

------------------

SLYGUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLYGUYSend a Private Message to SLYGUYDirect Link to This Post
I hope that it works out well for you, but DAMN that thing is so ugly you could slap it and it would just smile!!

Sly

Svyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SvynSend a Private Message to SvynDirect Link to This Post
Neat, I like the idea of trying new things. Awesome #'s out of that too. Do you have any closer pictures or more indepth info ? I am intrigued. Good job.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
I think that looks wild!

Looks quite exotic when ya concentrate looking at the dual throttle bodies.

NICE WORK!

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I like it! The numbers speak for themselves. I may just try something like that on mine. Sure - you could play around with it and make it prettier. Possibly a future project. Prototypes are rarely pretty.

To have a 167hp baseline, you must be running a modded 3.4, correct? I wonder what that would do for a stock 2.8? Did you notice much loss in the low end? You've greatly increased the plenum volume and shortened the intake runners. That should tune it for higher rpms.

I'm thinking about trying some type of intake with individual trumpet intakes for each cylinder. More for the exotic look than pure performance, but it has the potential to have even greater performance. Simply change the length of the velocity stacks to tune the torque curve. I've seen setups online with port injection, but they are way expensive. That's the inspriation, though.

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Ingenious,to say the least!
PFF
System Bot
Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
Nice! You can make it pretty later, not that I think it really looks that bad.
How did you hook the other throttle cable up?

Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
My Gawd, my jaw has dropped!

I dont think its ugly in the least, just looks like a prototype, think of a finished look.
#'s are SUPER nice too, but yes about the TQ curve? More pics and any info would be nice.
Way to go Cooter

WampusCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WampusCatSend a Private Message to WampusCatDirect Link to This Post
Was there any sort of air filter in place for the test run? I guess you can just put two K$N cones on there.
BC-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Torma:
Now that is ingenious!!! Great #s...kinda looks like the USSEnterprise to me for some reason!?!
[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 10-20-2001).]

And who wouldn't want to pilot that ship?
"Live long and prosper"

------------------
Darryl Martin
1985 GT

Wannabe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WannabeSend a Private Message to WannabeDirect Link to This Post
Good job. Opening up the intake will go a long way to reducing the power limitations for v660 builds. All you need now is a big cam and some tuning. Can you say "7000 RPM"
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
great job i think. cosmetics would be ez when its working good. Maybe chromed or coated like headers with ribs on them like valve covers. You could also adapt one of the plastic plenum covers that every other car uses, even vette or viper. I have 3.1 and i modified a buick 3800 cover to fit on the stock pontiac intake. No one can figure out what it is, lol.
Shaun41178

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2001 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post
AWESOME MAN!

Me and Travis have wanted to do that to our Fieros too. That is exactly the way we pictured it too!! We had been waiting for WEst Coast Fiero to come out with their Dual Trottle Body setup but still have not done it. I say you build these cooter and sell them since West coast has yet to do anything with their system yet. I think you could make some good money especially with the 3.4 crowd.

Hell I think it would even rock with a 2.8.

Congrats man!! That is one sweet intake!

I hope you see this Travis. How about another 40-50 hp for your Fiero? Looks like Cooter is your man

------------------
Shaun 85 GT with nitrous
0-60 in 5.6 seconds
Shaun41178@hotmail.com
**** FOREVER!

Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments, I was beginning to worry! The current setup with the cable between the throttle bodies is just temporary. Next week I should have some parts to connect them with a small "drive shaft". Right now the firewall side throttle body is mounted upside down, so they are opened in opposite directions-yes that was a bit confusing! The new setup with the drive shaft will require that the firewall side TB be mounted correctly. Right now, it is a cruise control cable connecting them together with hose clamps holding the mounting brackets to the intake- yes I will get rid of those later!
Low end torque is down not much but enough to notice, it will not spin all the way through first gear anymore- just a good chirp and then monster acceleration after that. Another cool thing about it is that the pipe is easy to drill and tap so adding a nitrous kit could be pretty easy
I need to get to work on a new chip because it has a flat spot at part throttle now that was not there before, but that is for tomorrow- Cooter is tired. . .
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
do you still have the 2.8 or something bigger. if it gives numbers like that it can be twice as ugly (dosen't look too bad to me now. sorta viperish) and i'd still want it.

how thick is the tubing. we have air cylinders at work and when they get scratched on the inside they throw them away. i've got a couple, and a couple of 4" also. the walls are about 1/8" thick.

FieroPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroPerformanceClick Here to visit FieroPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroPerformanceDirect Link to This Post
That is awesome. Who cares how it looks? That is a "rice boy" mentality. It was homemade, what do you expect?

-Charlie

PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Wow, sweet I didn't know you were that close to testing it out when you showed it to me! I figured it was still under wraps because you weren't finished, and wanted to tune it more before showing it off. Wow, again...those are great numbers. I would sacrifice some torque for that much horsepower gain any day; I think our v6s lack the top end horsepower they ought to have, but you have done a great job of fixing that.

Once I get my chip burning software, looks like I ought to find somebody with a welder so I can give that a stab! I don't have a back-up car right now, so I'll try to pretend I didn't let it cross my mind to do a weekend swap

Philphine: Sounds like you've almost got what you need! I can't believe you throw that stuff away, and haven't thought of a good project for it! Think of the potato gun you could make with that

Sweet deal Cooter; it's nice to see a dual throttle body setup being shown and in test, with some updates. WCF made a ton of hype, but hasn't shown any progress since then, which leads me to believe they hid a brick wall tuning it or something? Hopefully you can tune it and see what's possible; I imagine with a little nitrous and some head/exhaust work you'll have a beast So, what engine are you running?

Bryce
88 GT

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2001 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
Kinda interesting! I was just reading about how Rover put a dual throttle body setup on their 3.5 Litre V-8. They didn't claim any HP increase but it supposedly put the torque way up.
By the way Cooter, did that rocket man guy object when you ripped the back pack off him?
Gary
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Cool, I think it look great.

I'll never understand why some people expect something new & unique to look refined and perfect from the get go.

Archie

------------------
Just how fast do you want to go?

Mr.Frosty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.FrostySend a Private Message to Mr.FrostyDirect Link to This Post
Wow,cool.Way to go.I'm suprised the beast hasn't come out of it's cave and started biting off heads(WCF)!! Which engine?

------------------
85 GT Turbo intercooled

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
Right on, looks pretty good

------------------
Technician, West Coast Fiero
www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
HELL YEAH!!!

Keep it up man, play with refining it, and possibly legenthening the intake runners a bit? (the really short ones you now have probally start to really resonate around 10,000rpms now, which is a tad high

Way cool though, and I *really* like the look, it could be really pretty when all done up with good shiney-love-mojo.

DUAL TBs, aww yeah

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Looks Cool! Keep us posted.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
so cooter is it a 2.8, 3.1 or what? If it is a 2.8 making 200+ ponies I am interested.

Hank

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
nash, i don't throw it away. i just can't always get a hold of it when it gets tossed. it's not real often plus day shift makes the decision to toss it. there's at least one guy who sells it as scrap. i keep telling him i'll gladly give him what he thinks he'll get for it (couldn't be more han a few bucks) but sometimes it disappears anyway.

i couldn't pull off something like that anyway i think. i've been saving it 'cause i thought i could make some kind of pre throttle body intake one day.

cooter, didn't you have an indy scoop? you shoulda kept it. maybe take a third piece of tubing if it would fit bettween those two or some kind of air box that doubles as the cover with a stack for a cone (maybe two or an oval one) under an indy scoop. don't know how that would flow though, but in my head it looks right.

JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
That's great! It remindes me of the Viper with it's two intakes. Are you going to make the stock cable run two seperate equal length cables? Or have a custom made split cable? That blows the fiero store throttle out of the water!
PFF
System Bot
Galen
No longer registered
Report this Post10-21-2001 10:11 AM   Send a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
somethings odd here, Archie and WCF agreed on something.. mmmm.. ArchieanWCF has 11 letters

------------------
Ray Webmaster of Fierolinks
"The price of love is tragedy"

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
Cooter has a near stock Camaro 3.4 I believe. The 36 horsepower increase just proves how restrictive the fiero intake manifold really is. A 36 horsepower increase is huge especially when you consider that the 204 cubic inch engine is really tiny compared most Chevy v8 engines. Right now he is at one horsepower per a cubic inch. Imagine how much power that engine could make with that intake manifold and some modifications to the engine like cam, headers, ported heads, and exhaust.

[This message has been edited by 88formula (edited 10-21-2001).]

Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
Cooter, gotta know what is the plastic reservoire, and what does it do, you know where cruise should be?
Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
The engine is an internally stock 3.4 with Camaro exhaust manifolds (larger ports/passages than the Fiero manifolds), true dual exhaust, ported lower intake, Ford Motorsports 24lb injectors, newer ECM, MSD 6a and blaster cannister coil, Crane 11mm Firewires (They look like fuel hose, they are HUGE!), Trans Am Turbo fuel pump- hey it is for a turbo so it must add power, right?
The plastic tank is the radiator overflow bottle. I got tired of trying to burp the thing, so I added a Moroso in-line remote filler neck and put a 13lb cap on it. Up front, I stuck an 18lb cap on the radiator so now the trapped air pocket gets pushed into the rear overflow bottle.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Galen:
somethings odd here, Archie and WCF agreed on something.. mmmm.. ArchieanWCF has 11 letters

As you noticed, I posted my positive message before he posted his...... if I'd have known that he was going to post positive then I would not have commented.

Any apparent agreement is purely coincidental.

Archie

------------------
Just how fast do you want to go?

85ZainoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85ZainoGTSend a Private Message to 85ZainoGTDirect Link to This Post
man, a 30+ hp intake... will you make me one

------------------
Paul Ventimiglia
1985 White/Silver GT
2.8L 4 Speed LOADED :)

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I think it looks better than the stock Fiero intake, and it clearly flows more air.

How much do I pay to get me one???

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringDirect Link to This Post
Cooter, That's way cool.

I can see a TPS and an IAC valve on the rear throttle body but I can't see the front side of the other TB... Are you using a TPS and IAC on the front TB also?

-Bruce at FTF Engineering

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2001 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
good idea looks only matter if it don't go, then they crome it.
maybe two smaller throtle bodys would give a better lower end.

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock