Cleaning a DIPSTICK by JSocha
Started on: 10-08-2001 12:11 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: RossT on 10-09-2001 04:04 AM
JSocha

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2001 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
...Use lots of soap and water!
==================================
If you have a dirty DIPSTICK where the oil has literally baked on and you can not read it easily as was the case on my '86GT, here is a helpful quick hint that takes less then 5 minutes to do.

1. Remove the dipstick.
2. Clean off the engine oil with a rag.
3. Spray "EASY OFF Oven Cleaner" down the entire length of the dipstick.
4. Allow to eat at the residue for about 1 minute to eat the burnt on oil
5. Wipe off with a clean rag.
6. Repeat if necessary in severly stained areas.
7. Replace your dipstick

That baby will shine there after!

Now about the other DIPSTICK you may have to contend with...Sorry, that is another thread.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2001 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Good idea... one caution tho... keep the oven cleaner far away from the body panels and painted surfaces. It can do a major job on them.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2001 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JSocha:
...Use lots of soap and water!
==================================

Now about the other DIPSTICK you may have to contend with...Sorry, that is another thread.

Depending on where it's been, you may want to use Eazy-off on it too!

flyntus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2001 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flyntusSend a Private Message to flyntusDirect Link to This Post
A dremel tool with wire brush works wonders also.
Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2001 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post
If you have a dipstick geting that dirty, maybe you need to change your oil more often? lol

I've never seen a dirty dipstick. Even in my old 84se. The oil was so bad when i changed it, it came out in big blobs! Dipstick was clean though .

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2001 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by flyntus:
A dremel tool with wire brush works wonders also.

Try it my way and you will be done with very little effort, except wipe, spray and wipe again.

This is what happens when you buy a used car where the previous owner didn't take care of these little babies and change their oil regularily. Lots of coking under the valve covers and else where. Black crud!

Too bad we can't turn them in to some sort of authorities for neglect.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2001 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post

JSocha

3522 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Just a thought for those that want to polish up their oil pan and valve covers.

Wipe them out good (or rinse in a parts washer), spray them inside and within a few minutes wipe again. Bet you those buggers will shine like there was no tomorrow since Easy Off eats grease on contact.

If somebody does this, let me know the results.

Easy Off also works great on those stainless steel (Jenn Aires) cook tops if you get burnt on crud there too! Sorry, that is off topic.

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2001 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Now can you tell me how to clean my exhaust tips? I don't think they have ever been cleaned. Previous owner neglect should not go unpunished.

------------------

Hippocrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2001 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HippocratSend a Private Message to HippocratDirect Link to This Post
Easy Off works better on the engine block than most of the industrial de-greasers I've seen as well
RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2001 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Jeff you might want to run a can of "seafoam"
in the oil for each oil change and change every 1,000 miles x 3. Seafoam is a mild cleaner like Marvel Mystery Oil. Stay away from the harsh cleaners like gunk products that claim to be block cleaners. The harsh cleaners will loosen bigs chunks and might clog the oil pump/screen. Good luck!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock