Started on: 09-14-2001 05:17 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: artherd on 09-16-2001 07:24 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Way too much to try to search.

What is the diameter of the manual shifter lever and what is the thread size? All I can remember is that it's metric. I have one of Rodneys super short shifters, but I want to cut it down another couple of inches and need to rethread it.

------------------
'Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.'

MM

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
16 mm x 1.5 mm.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Good luck finding a M16 x 1.5mm DIE in your local hardware store. I had to order mine from MSC Direct, http://www.mscdirect.com . Careful, though. They charged me $6 to ship 1 DIE and 1 drill bit. Seemed a bit high to me.

------------------
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyrranys of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepards the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brothers keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengence upon thee.

FieroBUZZ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
Since the shift lever is only going to be a few inches long, I ditched the huge stock one and welded in a chunk of Honda. All manner of aftermarket shift knobs screw right on.
Gary
Tonker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TonkerSend a Private Message to TonkerDirect Link to This Post
Great Sig Formula!
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I ditched the stock one a long time ago. I have Rodneys super short one now, but I want to go shorter. I'd like the base of the shifter knob to be about even with the top of the shifter plate. This might not matter now as I've just received my Fiero Store order (thanx, NIFE!!). I ordered one of the leather covered shifter knobs thinking that it was just like the stock knob only covered, but I just found out that it is really a piece of MFD type wood covered in leather. No metal sleeve inside, therefore no metal threads. I'm really disappointed in this. I'm still planning on shortening my lever, but I may now go to a different knob. We'll see.

Thanx for the info, guys. And nice sig, Formula88.

------------------
'Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.'

MM

grgoyl86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grgoyl86Send a Private Message to grgoyl86Direct Link to This Post
Another alternative:

I had a neighbor who is handy with a welder remove the rod from the lower part, cut the rod, then re-weld the rod back into the lower part (sorry for my lack of technical terms). No worries about re-threading.

Also, isn't Rodney's Sport Shifter a smaller diameter rod?

------------------
Bob Schlag
Mid Atlantic Fiero Owners Association
www.fieropride.com

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2001 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has a couple of short shifters. This one uses the stock shifter knob so the threads are stock. I have a friend who works R&D at a local factory. He has the experience and the tools to do this. I just have to make sure he as the correct die. With the correct die, he could do this in about 20 minutes, max.
Banzai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2001 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BanzaiSend a Private Message to BanzaiDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up a nice shift knob at Autozone. It's round, clear anondized aluminum and only $14. I'm shortening my shifter. The knob uses rubber sleeves and set screws to mount the knob. Seeing that the shaft is so large on the fiero. I removed the sleeve and the knob fits pretty well. The lower portion of the knob ( the piece that screws to the bottom to cover the setscrews)will have to be drilled out about 1/16" it's just a wee bit too small. Gonna look killer though.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!

SLYGUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2001 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLYGUYSend a Private Message to SLYGUYDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of shifters and manual transmissions...

In my Haynes manual, it recommends 5W-30 motor oil for my 88GT 5 spd. Only 3 quarts of the stuff too. Has anyone else ever heard of putting 5W in a manual transaxle?

Pretty Bizarre, but it worked fine. Shifter was a little notchy, and when I checked the level it didn't register. Haynes said to check between the two inscribed marks on the speedo unit bolted into the trans. This is the first time that they were only half right. After I drained the fluid (dark, and not a lot of it) there was an actual dipstick/fluid add point. Added the 3 quarts of 5W and it registered on this dipstick.

Never showed up on the speedo unit like they were talking about.
Tranny feels new now!!

Sly

------------------

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2001 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
I'd not use motor oil, it will shorten your tranny's life IMHO.

I use Red Line MTL (Manual Transmission Lube) in all my cars, it's great stuff, and I highly recomend it. It will feel like a new gearbox!!

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

PFF
System Bot