Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Gimmie your cheap Iron Duke 'performance' mods (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Gimmie your cheap Iron Duke 'performance' mods by Sootah
Started on: 09-10-2001 12:57 AM
Replies: 66
Last post by: erikred on 10-01-2001 08:47 PM
mrossum

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2001 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kasdan:
"Iron Duke" and "Performance" dont belong in the same sentence if you ask me...

we didn't ask you for your snide remarks. some of us folks have to use what we have. we don't have unlimited budgets......

IP: Logged
Shaun41178

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2001 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post
Good call Kasdan on the two words not belonging togethor. And then adding Cheap into it? Come on man. Its 25 year old technology. Its not going to keep up with a man on a bicycle.

AS far as iron Duck mods, I say jack up the radiator cap and wedge a whole new engine under it other then a suckey @ss Duck engine. God they are awefull

Most of you 4 banger owners are hilarious. I laugh everytime you try and get more power out of the ole' Duck engine. All that money wasted to get what,, 120hp? HAHa go buy a v6 Fiero or drop a super duty in the darn thing. I can't wait for the day when a 4 banger owner gets beat by a Metro and then thinks a holley side scoop will solve all their problems. iT wilt mostest liklily be Fieroburton who getses beatests by one. Hehehe. God I crack myself up.

------------------
Shaun 85 GT with nitrous
0-60 in 5.6 seconds
Shaun41178@hotmail.com

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2001 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Shaun...f**k you a**hole...I hope like hell someday I have the answer to your question so I can tell you to suck my Ba**s

Rob

------------------
qwikgta@yahoo.com
88 T-Top coupe, 65K, Header no Cat w/ Supertrapp, 16" GTZ rims, short shifter, swaybar, open element air cleaner, hood vents, clear tails. http://www.homestead.com/robsfieroproject http://www.vafieros.com

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-22-2001).]

Shaun41178

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2001 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
Shaun...f**k you a**hole...I hope like hell someday I have the answer to your question

Very unlikely since I will never ever be asking a question relating to the Duck.

so I can tell you to suck my Ba**s

Rob

Only if you'd let me, but I prefer to lick not suck . But your boyfreind was over last night and while we were having sex, he told me that I could try to "suck your b****" but that I would have a hard time doing that since you don't have any.

Quack Quack goes the Iron Duck

Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2001 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to say but that 2.8 pretty much sucks also. Im sure most dukes will outlive a 2.8 if they are both driven modestly.
Ya dukes are slow factory, some people might just want to do a few mods to make them a bit faster. Whats wrong with that??!?!
Im honestly sick off all american pushrod engines, that why im selling my fiero and geting an import! If my fiero had a 2.8 would I still be seling? Probably.

Im not going to be a prick like you and start insulting the 2.8 because its a crap engine. Allot of nice people are on here with them and I wouldn't want to insult them. Unlike you! But beleave me its not to hard!

Get a life!

------------------
88 Fiero Coupe...

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post
Well actualy the Duke is closer to 35 years old tech. But the SBC is even older than that and can whip all but the most exotic imports all day long. BTW, a super duty IS an Iron duke, its just a beefier version, and so is the Mercruiser 181. The merc puts out 140 HP stock which is more than the Vsucks and the price to put nitrous on a Duke is the same as the Vsucks.

The ricer people with their "High Tech/Price" maybe 180 at the rears (if it is heavily moded) poser mobiles crack me up. The Duke can easily put out 300HP without an expensive blower or NOS and it will not cost anywhere near $10k to do it. Then you have to take into consideration how much more torque it's going to make than even a real Handjob I mean Honda. Any one who thinks ricers are the sh** is just going by popular misconception.

Erik-

OcalaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OcalaFieroSend a Private Message to OcalaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shaun41178:
Good call Kasdan on the two words not belonging togethor. And then adding Cheap into it? Come on man. Its 25 year old technology. Its not going to keep up with a man on a bicycle.

AS far as iron Duck mods, I say jack up the radiator cap and wedge a whole new engine under it other then a suckey @ss Duck engine. God they are awefull

Most of you 4 banger owners are hilarious. I laugh everytime you try and get more power out of the ole' Duck engine. All that money wasted to get what,, 120hp? HAHa go buy a v6 Fiero or drop a super duty in the darn thing. I can't wait for the day when a 4 banger owner gets beat by a Metro and then thinks a holley side scoop will solve all their problems. iT wilt mostest liklily be Fieroburton who getses beatests by one. Hehehe. God I crack myself up.

I bet this guy rides the short bus to school.

(Oh, you guys have to to check out his user profile, it's a riot)
------------------
Mike
Ocala, Florida
'86 2M4

[This message has been edited by OcalaFiero (edited 09-24-2001).]

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh. One more reason I don't post here anymore.... Always an idiot or two with more mouth than brains...

For you folks that don't like the Dukes, ask any of the people who just returned from the Run For The Hills if me and my Duke held any of them up... I was right there with them, and in some cases ahead of them, through all of the turns and straights. And believe me, the speeds were pretty fast on this run...

I admit that I am going to add more cylinders into this particular car, but there is nothing at all wrong with a Duke.

What is wrong though is people's attitudes.

Now that I have been here to look at the RFTH's pictures I will go away again and not miss this sad place.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I dont see what is wrong with the duke either?!?!!? Mine would hang with the V6 any day. On the way to Carlisle last year, we had to GT's and my coupe (back in it's 4 cyl day). We were goin 100 MPH or more, and the duke was right there with the V6's. Sure it could not get there as fast..but it got there non the less. Only reason I changed to the V6 is because it was free and i wanted more preformance options.

Anyway..back on topic....cheap duke mods can include different plugs (rapidfire), wires, coil, intake setups. There is quite a bit you can do to them. The duke is a good reliable fun engine. Forget the A$$HOLES. Make yourself happy. Because in the end that is what matters, how happy you are with your car.

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Who do you people think you are kidding?

The Duke is the worst engine to come out of GM since possibly the 307 or the 80s Caddy 2-4-6-8 motor.

And how do you suppose you are keeping up with V6s? You think spark plug wires and a new dist. cap add 40-50 Hp? No wonder you all own Dukes.

Someone said "The Duke can easily put out 300HP without an expensive blower or NOS and it will not cost anywhere near $10k to do it"

Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard!! Check the website that sells SD4 stuff. I think the bare block and head is around 15,000. I thought even the racing motor SD4 only made 280 Hp, thats after about 100 times of falling apart and DNF's.

Laughable.

Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post

haha
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master_Sushi:

haha

hehe i love it.

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Black88GT **** *** too. You think you POS V6 is all that, Dodge neons and most every other V6 motor out there today have more HP/Tqe than your motor. 135+hp is almost as common as 16" rims, remember when only Hiperf cars came with 16" rims, now you can get them on almost anything. I have owned GT fieros and trust me you V6 is not all that. Having a stick helps you think you are fast, but stock the V6 is not all that.

The idea of the thread was for US duke owners to share some ideas that have worked for us. I posted adding a header, open exaust and more air into the TBI. These are common perf mods that most everyone can benefit from. Do I think you can make 150+ hp on a duke with only a few mods..hell no, but not all of us have a V6 to start with and some of us like the fact that our Pontiac has a Pontiac engine in it.

Some day I too plan a swap, after paint, and some more suspension work..Im looking at a 3800 myself. So why don't you a$$holes who have nothing good to say about a fellow Fiero owner just read the thread, laugh to yourself and then go to the next thread, BE PART OF THE SOLUTION, NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM. Keep you stupid, smart ass comments to yourself.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-24-2001).]

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Master you will fit right in with the Import crowd.

Talk about how fast your 17 second Civic is but if someone criticizes it just give em the finger lol.

qwikgta, your the ricer with the wannabe Formula. Almost forgot. Well I hate to break it to you, but no matter how many Formula decals you add you car is forever slow. It will never be a Formula. I'm sorry.

[This message has been edited by Black88GT (edited 09-24-2001).]

Shaun41178

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2001 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:

qwikgta, your the ricer with the wannabe Formula. Almost forgot. Well I hate to break it to you, but no matter how many Formula decals you add you car is forever slow. It will never be a Formula. I'm sorry.

[

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ROTFLMAO nice one Jeff. Hey Jeff don'tforget about that HUGE tip to help expell mildly hot exhaust gases from that firebreather Duck he has. Hey qwik don't go to a V6 man. Stick with the Duck and prove to us how good it can be made to be. Don't cop out man. Don't go the 6 route. Its not that much better man
you said so yourself. Sure it will be a 3800 but thats not much bigger then the 3.4 pushrod

Oh yea also qwk a 2.8 can make 150 hp with a few mods. Intake exhaust and pulleys will get 150 hp. All for about $130 if done my way.

And its not like I don't have anything good to say to other fiero owners its just that I dont' have anything good to say about the Duck. Straightline performance "It Stinks" <-- Jay Sherman

------------------
Shaun 85 GT with nitrous
0-60 in 5.6 seconds
Shaun41178@hotmail.com

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Well in all fairness...wantabe Formula is close..but I did it way before I found the forum and never thought anyone would care that I did it anyway. I had on a set of black GT rims and a wing off a GT. Other than the Formula stickers it looked just like a Formula. One day a bud said "If you added Formula stickers it'd look just like a Formula". I put on the black ones cause they never put black on red Formulas that I know of. I admit its not a Formula and I never say it is. I do have a Formula rear swaybar on it and with the Poly/KYBs and 16" rims it does drive well. Someday I plan an upgrade to the engine, then it will be better than a Formula. Not that I am dis'ing the Formulas..Id love to have on too.

But Rice... Not sure about that one. I do have a supertrapp on the back, some have said its rice but I don't agree. Supertrapps were around long b4 rice. I had them on my Trans AM GTA and even on this car it sounds great. Not high RPM rice just good deep sound.

Now that I am calmer from reading the stupid post that you and Shaun added, I only want to add that we all should post when we have something constructive to add, or to help someone when they have a question. I have never posted to disrespect someones ride unless they have attacked my ride first. We all share a common interest, some GT, some coupe, some V6 still others 4cyl. But we are all Fiero owners.

Rob

PS...Shawn posted b4 I could get back to Black88. Hey Shawn, go stick your "Debby does Dallas" tape in your VCR and suck on your NITROUS bottle...**** boy. BTW don't bother posting anymore here, I will not be reading this thread anymore..If I don't read it, I won't have to read your crap anymore. Oh yea, the reason I want to move to a 3800 is that 240+ HP is a lot better than 98.

Shaun41178

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2001 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Rob

PS... Hey Shawn, go stick your "Debby does Dallas" tape in your VCR and suck on your NITROUS bottle...**** boy. BTW don't bother posting anymore here, I will not be reading this thread anymore..If I don't read it, I won't have to read your crap anymore. Oh yea, the reason I want to move to a 3800 is that 240+ HP is a lot better than 98.

I just couldn't resist. I had to post one more time for my personal satisfaction. Pretty strong words there. But Debby Does Dallas is the best you could come up with? Come on man! Thats pathetic. What about the all time classic "Deep Throat" or Peter Norths, "Load Warrior"? Great **** classics. And its not like you still don't look at **** there Rob. Come on now you have access to the internet. You are looking at it all the time. Can't lie to anyone here so dont' try. And DVD thank you very much as I am with the times. Plus I can get those different angle variations with DVD unlike VHS.

""BTW don't bother posting anymore here, I will not be reading this thread anymore..If I don't read it, I won't have to read your crap anymore."" <--- Geez qwk that must be from the "Department of Redundancy Department" Nice job.

Well sorry to hear you are going to a V6 with the 4 being so brutal and all. Oh well.

And you had to edit twice? Too bad it takes you two drafts to get it right. Back to second grade. Peace and Iron Duck forever.

Shaun41178

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2001 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post

Shaun41178

1285 posts
Member since Jan 99
Oh and thanks for the two thumbs up.
gt boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt boySend a Private Message to gt boyDirect Link to This Post
just throw a can of whoop ass in it and call it a day!

...why the hell is it called the "iron duke" anyways..is it the same as the iron chef?

------------------
"it's too bad he had to run out of talent half way through the corner..."

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2001 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
Would the fùcking trolls leave!? None of us said that it was a raceing engine, or a huge ass high performer. I was merely asking what I could do to the engine to give it slightly more kick. I'm not talking about a performance rebuild, or adding NOS, or a turbo even. All I wanted was a couple of tricks to help it run better.

READ the fùcking post next time!

Why in the hell have all of my threads turned into flame wars lately? Shìiiiiit...

------------------

Never pull your pants down in Cosco, the dang monkeys will getcha
AIM: KSSouter

EDIT: Spelling, punctuation, slightly less cursing.

[This message has been edited by Sootah (edited 09-25-2001).]

Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post09-25-2001 12:44 AM   Send a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt boy:
just throw a can of whoop ass in it and call it a day!

...why the hell is it called the "iron duke" anyways..is it the same as the iron chef?

It could be, the Iron Chef almost always wins.

PFF
System Bot
OcalaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2001 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OcalaFieroSend a Private Message to OcalaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sootah:

[b]READ the fùcking post next time!

[/B]

Sootah, I wouldn't worry about it....kids. Maybe Shaun should leave the beautiful metropolis of Toledo and take a spin down here (providing he has enough nitrous to make the trip) and get his laughing gas powered car spanked by my wife in our M3. I know it's only got a crappy little inline 6 (compared to that beast you drive), but I think you'd be looking at tailights. Oh, wait a minute, the kids location says he is from Toledo AND Daytona Beach...that's only an hour away, ROADTRIP!!

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2001 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:
Who do you people think you are kidding?

The Duke is the worst engine to come out of GM since possibly the 307 or the 80s Caddy 2-4-6-8 motor.

And how do you suppose you are keeping up with V6s? You think spark plug wires and a new dist. cap add 40-50 Hp? No wonder you all own Dukes.

Someone said "The Duke can easily put out 300HP without an expensive blower or NOS and it will not cost anywhere near $10k to do it"

Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard!! Check the website that sells SD4 stuff. I think the bare block and head is around 15,000. I thought even the racing motor SD4 only made 280 Hp, thats after about 100 times of falling apart and DNF's.

Laughable.

WOW, GM must know some good tricks in order to get the shittiest engine ever to win so many races! Wait maybe they did not really win. They might have pulled one of those landing on the moon type hoaxes.

150 HP from a duke is not a problem. It can be achieved for a little more than what it would take a V6 to get there, which is alot cheaper than a swap even to a stock V6.

As for the prices of Dukes or SD, it cost about the same to build one as it would to build the V6 to the same spec. I have seen many all alum. highly built SD setups selling for $6k or less. A brand new Alum. SD block is $2500 the Heads are about $800 for Pontiac and cheap if you go with SBC. Where are you getting $15k for a block? There are some SD 16 valve Camel Light spec complete motors for sale that cost $15k. There are as many or more parts available for the Duke than the 60 deg V6. BTW, SD motors can put out over 500hp.

I am not saying the Duke is better than the V6. I like both motors and plan to build both, just because the mainstream world is always cracking on both of them.

Black88 if you could just pull your head from your a** long enough, you would be able to make arguments based on facts. You must have a complex about your V6 since you always seem to be trolling around in these Duke post. Why don't you try to help some other Fiero owners out instead of making yourself a Jack*ss.

Erik-

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2001 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry Erik, with your whole 33 posts and everything I am sure you have helped out hundreds and thousands of Fiero owners.

Prove to me that you can buy a complete SD4 for under 6k. Prove it. You talk about facts, but where are they? I need websites, numbers, something, anything?!

Use the search topic Einstein and look for a post where a Duke owner built his up to around 120-140 Hp then CRACKED THE BLOCK after 300 miles. Can't wait to see what happens when you get your 200 hp, which all I see is talk.

Your all talk. Where is your 200 Hp N/A smog legal reliable Duke? hmm can't seem to find it. Will I ever find it? Nope, well maybe broken down on the side of the road or in the junkyard where it belongs.

Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post09-26-2001 12:47 AM   Send a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
I don't see alot of proof of 200hp 2.8's either.
erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black88GT:

If I have helped one Duke owner, that is more than you have helped them.

Who said anything about smog legal? Oh, and ya, were are all the 200hp smog legal 2.8s?

Erik-

[This message has been edited by erikred (edited 09-26-2001).]

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2001 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post
Black88GT here is some proof, I have more proof than I have time to list it:

1999 Stealth - 33" dirt roller, 2" raised cage, FBI, Lee, Wilwood, Sanders, National, Carrera, Weld - $7500; Aluminum Pontiac Motor - 166 ci, Super Duty block, 801 head, Ti-valve, Kinsler injectors, Vertex, Gambler oil pump, Hilburn fuel pump, complete air cleaner to header - $5,000; Pit Cart $1000;and Miscellaneous Spares. E-mail theiceman65@hotmail.com or call (317) 414-6597.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Complete Midget with 97 upgrades. Pavement & dirt, new pavement axle, new Carrera, Pontiac Super Duty. $8900.00 everything goes. Bob Putman 612-533-2444 day or 612-559-2482 or 612-559-9482 nights.

Pontiac S/Duty Midget Motor, Iron Block, 801 Head, Injection, Crane Roller, Jesel, Wetnsump, 180 Cu.In. Fresh. $6,500. Call (903) 723-0678

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock