Started on: 06-14-2001 12:44 AM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Rex on 06-16-2001 11:55 PM
Maniak84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Maniak84Send a Private Message to Maniak84Direct Link to This Post
Hi I found this page whenlooking at some guys page on the webring and i ahve a ?how do I make my 1984 fiero go faster it is a 4 cilinder(?) witha automatic trasmision. I Want to go fasterwithout spending loys of $$$. what kind of things can I do when I have 50 buck saved up? does anyone else have a 84 Fiero with a 4 cilinder that they have supped up?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for a nice tall cliff for mine! hehe

Just kidding. But there aren't a lot of tricks for the dukes. You can replace the cam, get the freest exhaust you can find, and just keep it tuned well. There are other performance mods out there that I have seen, but nothing is cost effective enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion. Of course, others may have some ideas..

Somewhere there is a page dedicated to the iron duke engines. If I can find it I will post the link. Good luck.

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thats gotta be Stimpy.
gtcash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtcashSend a Private Message to gtcashDirect Link to This Post
Supped up!!! Why?
Are you the guy that poked holes in the muffler of your Moped?
The Iron Duke is a dependable, economical, simple little 4cyl. Keep it that way.
If your serious about speed...get a V8 and some Nitrous...You'll spend a lot of cash, I hope your parents give you a good allowance, you'll need it!
Keep it STOCK! Make it look like new! Make it run like new. You'll love it.

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
LOL songman, saw the topic and was going to say the exact same smarta** cliff comment!
fierofrek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrekClick Here to visit fierofrek's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofrekDirect Link to This Post
here is a link for the duke mods.
also, I can't laugh to much as I have seen a few 4 bangers tear up some stock V8's. It is always better to start out with an engine that has more potential though. hope this helps.
http://dukemods.50megs.com/WEB%20PAGE/PAGE1.html
Maniak84

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Maniak84Send a Private Message to Maniak84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:
Thats gotta be Stimpy.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:
LOL songman, saw the topic and was going to say the exact same smarta** cliff comment!

Everybody's good at something. Smarta** comments are what I'm good at! hehe

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

EdsB52

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post
The statements "50 bucks saved up" and "want more speed" should not be used in the same sentence or paragraph. Even when I was a kid, a long time ago, $50 couldn't buy you anything that would appreciably go fast. Why don't you take your Fiero, drive the economical thing to work everyday very carefully so it doesn't break, save every penny for about 2 years, and buy something that goes as fast as you can afford. If you want immediate speed and near death adrenaline for $50, you might be able to find one of those parking lot carnivals that operates over asphalt with their bungy jumping from a crane. If you have a litle more $ and want it to last a little longer, not to mention your health, go skydive.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
$50 bucks is not exactly a sum that will get you into the low 9s.

But there are some easy things you can do to help the thing breath a little easier.

Get a K&N air filter, remove the water separater and place a straight duct in for air flow, 8 mil plug wires, put in a low restriction muffler and/or Cat/muffler. keep your tires inflated to their optimum level. remove your exhaust maifolds and port them with a die grinder to remove excess flashing.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 06-14-2001).]

Maniak84

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maniak84Send a Private Message to Maniak84Direct Link to This Post
You people are mean. So Im not rich that doesnt mean i dont desrve a fast car with my 84 Fiero. I kmow a guy who put a air cleaner filter thing that made his car a lot faster. Do they have those for 84 Fieros mine is a 4 cilinder? How much do they cost i think he paid $30 for his its on a suburu brat. can I get a turbo for an84 Fiero? Maybe twin turbos. How much woullld that cost?
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
a turbo kit is outside your budget. BUT...I have seen some Pontiac Turbo Sunbirds in the wrecking yards. If you stripped all the goodies off them and did a lot of custom work you might be able to get it to work for your Fiero. The cost of the parts from the wrecking yard would be around $150, still more than you have but closer than a $1500 kit.
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Maniak84,

Don't let the kidding bother you. When I was a sophmore in high school I found an abandoned '51 Chevy. I fixed the engine and trans, painted it ($29.00 Fact-o-bake) and re-did the interior with left over denim fabric and to me it looked great. It was by no means fast, but it did get me to and from work and school which was more than most of my friends had.

Others in school had nice cars given to them by rich parents but I had pride in mine.

Anyway, the 4 cylinder owners on the forum seem to take a lot of kidding and abuse from some people, just don't take it too seriously.

Enjoy what you have and be proud of what you make of it.

Welcome to the Forum and I hope to see you at upcoming events.

Carroll

Maniak84

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maniak84Send a Private Message to Maniak84Direct Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/002316.html

I nominate Toddster for Cool Guy of the Month. How patient is he? I'd have been scoffing at the little freak show real quick. Congrats to Jeff, Black88GT for catching it, but you didn't start an O/T thread! What do I do now?

Peace,stimpy

mbramble

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbrambleSend a Private Message to mbrambleDirect Link to This Post
I was pretty sure this was stimpy but the mention of twin turbos was confirmation
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by UnStimpy:
...its on a suburu brat.

Now there's a blast from the past.

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

EdsB52

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post
Hey Stimpy, that was especially good with the illiteracy in the post; it added that "goober" element necessary to pull off the prank!
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
"I like mustard on my biscuits"
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Cool Guy of the Month!

Oh me, oh my...This was so unexpected!

I'd like to thank the academy, and all the little people that made this honor possible

XOXO

Couldn't resist!
Good luck with the project Maniak84

trigger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2001 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for triggerSend a Private Message to triggerDirect Link to This Post
joke all you want to, but that twin turbo 2.5 is the car I'm building this summer. I already lined up the car and the turbos. Now all I need is to start my new job.

------------------
Honestly officer, I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic. I know there aren't any cars in the area, that's how far behind I am.

c m west

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for c m westClick Here to visit c m west's HomePageSend a Private Message to c m westDirect Link to This Post
how to make your 84 go faster - get out and push

Eric - West Coast Fiero www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

PFF
System Bot
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by c m west:
how to make your 84 go faster - get out and push

That was a cheap shot!

After I make this post I'm going to give my '84 a big hug and let it know it should be so proud to be part of the Fiero family!

Telling it the story of how the little '84 got a V8 always cheers it up.

LuckyTheyWereEverMade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuckyTheyWereEverMadeClick Here to visit LuckyTheyWereEverMade's HomePageSend a Private Message to LuckyTheyWereEverMadeDirect Link to This Post
Hey it looks like the Iron Duke guys are being shown for the hundreth time how inconsiderate many Fiero Forum members are.

Want to make a 2M4 go faster? Good for you! Use the search function and after sorting through hundreds of replicates of the same four or five insults there are a few good posts.

The sad fact is that you will probably read 10 posts that show other Fiero owners think your car is a joke for every one post you find that takes you seriously enough to actually answer your questions.

This is just another thread where I guy asks how to make his 84 go faster and then everyone takes a stab at him. Want to disrespect someone who shares essentially the same interest as you? Idiocy!

What is the F_cking point?

STOP THIS STUPIDITY RIGHT NOW!

Remember the last time someone called your Fiero a piece of crap or a fire trap? How did that make you feel?

Did you laugh or just want to tell that person to F_ck off? Or, did it make you angry enough to want to do something about it?

2M4 owners actually have to ignore your harassment to be on this Forum? Predjudice based on engine type? ABSURD.

The next time you feel the need to poke fun at fellow Forum members Go beat your dog instead and leave the rest of us alone.

Here's the standard excuse that is given:

Aw, don't take it so seriously. You just have to put up with that sort of thing on this Forum. If you don't like it, don't post.

Is this just a case of "dish it out but can't take it?" I searched for Iron Duke posts and found a guy called "I hate V6 Fieros" that posted "Iron Dukes rule" two or three times. Check it out to see the responses for yourself . . .

Asking someone else to put up with your indiscretions is an imposition. Translation: These jokes are insulting to other Forum members. You may think it's funny but it really just makes someone feel anger towards you.

Rex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexSend a Private Message to RexDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! If I was going to spend 50 bucks or so I believe i'd buy a low restrictive muffler as a beginning place. I dont know a great deal about the duke but if i get my chance and the right deal comes along you can bet it will be mine.I've seen some screamming 4-cyls. stock.As for the K&N
filter thing I would remove the stock filter make sure the housing is free of dirt and cruse it up the road and back.Did it improve the power any? I don't believe theres a great deal of horsepower difference in the 2.5 and 2.8 V6 good luck and let us know your progress.
EdsB52

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2001 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rex:
[I don't believe theres a great deal of horsepower difference in the 2.5 and 2.8 V6 good luck and let us know your progress.[/B]

What? Not that the HP in the 2.8 is braggable, but it is night and day when you drive one. The RPM range is higher, the speed at which the 2.8 winds up is night and day due to the port fuel injection, and the overall driveability is largely distinguishable. By the way Rex and Luckytheywereevermade, the post was originally entered as a jinx by Stimpy. You must have missed that.

c m west

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for c m westClick Here to visit c m west's HomePageSend a Private Message to c m westDirect Link to This Post
If your serious about going faster - give us a call

Eric- West Coast Fiero www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Hey Lucky...

I was just teasing, man... I made the first joke and 4 out of 5 of my Fieros are Dukes. Look at my sig. You can bet the Indy will always be a Duke!

A Fiero is a Fiero is a Fiero. No matter what engine it has in it, it is still a thing of affection for us.. I'm sure no one thinks otherwise. It is just that there honestly are not many things that you can do inexpensively to make a Duke perform...

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

Maniak84

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2001 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maniak84Send a Private Message to Maniak84Direct Link to This Post
i deceidid to use some of my monry to buy a new exhaust tip from Kragens. It is a 5inch tip and mmakes the car ound really mean!! It is also alot faster. I recommend it to evry one who has an 84 Fiero with a 4 cilnder. Hey Lucky, thanx for sticking up for me. Maye you should drive out here to Mountain House(near to Livermore) and we could go racing in the hills out here. It would be cool.
EdsB52

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2001 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post
You're a nut! How many more posts till the rest figure it out?
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
I had it figured out. Opps, didn't mean to start a bunch of ranting. Just trying to have some fun.
LuckyTheyWereEverMade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuckyTheyWereEverMadeClick Here to visit LuckyTheyWereEverMade's HomePageSend a Private Message to LuckyTheyWereEverMadeDirect Link to This Post
Ok,

Here's the scoop on the 4 vs 6.

The 6 has about 50% more power than the 4. The power of a 4 can be increased about 25 to 35% using a mild cam, header, and TBI. After all of this, the difference is smaller, but the 6 still has more power. the 4 gets about 25% better gas mileage, even after these mods the 4 will still get better gas mileage.

A modified 5spd 4 cylinder would be a match for the automatic 6. This is because automatic transmissions waste more power than standard transmissions.

Now, take a freshly rebuilt 4 cylinder modified with cam, header, and TBI and put it up against a V6 that has not been maintained well. Then, the 4 cylinder may win.

Let's face it, the average Fiero out there is not maintained well (some are in really bad condition). A V6 with low compression is no better than a finely tuned 4 cylinder Fiero.

A Fiero with the sc Buick V6 or a 3.4L TDC is a fast car. The stock Fieros, especially those that are in "average" condition are all pretty slow by comparison.

As I said before, if you want to modify an Iron Duke, the good for you. There's no reason why you should not. In most cases, your 4 cylinder is probably in need of a rebuild anyway. For less than $2K you can replace all the sensors, mounts, suspension bushings, build an engine, and have a very reliable and efficient little Fiero.

The first step in winning any race is making it to the finish line. As a car, the key to having fun is trouble-free operation. If you can rebuild/repair/restore your car for the cost of a "crate" engine, then there is something to be said for "souping up a Duke."

I have done this stuff to my 84 automatic and I happy with the results. I get better than 25 mpg at 85 mph. It sounds good and is very reliable. The cam is a bit over-kill with a small loss in idle quality, but I barely notice anymore.

On the other hand, if you have a V6 Fiero now, then you don't even need upgrade parts. Just rebuild the engine and replace sensors, bushings, etc. In the end, you'll be happy with the improvement a healthy engine represents.

That is what this Forum is all about: Fixing our cars so they run forever. Modifying them a little along the way is just part of the fun!

When I built my engine, I painted it chevy red-orange. Besides being an ironic color for the last engine Pontiac designed and produced (the Iron Duke), it looks a lot different from the stock all black 4 cylinder. A whole lot cleaner too!

So, if you were to try to get out and push my car while it is accelerating you would be injured rather than improve anything.

If you dropped a V6 and a 4 cylinder from and airplane, they'd both fly and they'd both hit the ground at about the same time. Perhaps the V6 would win here too as it's ratio of weight to surface area is a bit higher.

If you removed the radiator cap and drove in a whole new car under it, please let me know where you found a brand new Fiero. I'd like one even regardless of which engine it has.

As a friend of mine once said, "it really should be called Mighty Mouse rather than Iron Duke." I agree. It is "the little engine that could . . ."

So stop poking fun at my little friend. It means a lot to me.

Thanks

PFF
System Bot
Rex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexSend a Private Message to RexDirect Link to This Post
Yes I was fooled, But I felt sorry for a guy with 50 bucks to spend and he did sound sincere. I have never driven a duke fiero and did'nt think there would be a huge difference in it and my 86 SE V-6 4-sp.Good job Stimpy ya got me.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock