Started on: 03-24-2001 06:04 PM
Replies: 53
Last post by: Formula88 on 04-02-2001 12:27 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2001 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Need some diagnostic suggestions. 88 Formula V6, won't start. Car will start to fire, then die as soon as you release the key. It's apparently getting spark, fuel pressure is 45psi, replaced cap, rotor, ignition module, coil, fuel filter. If you spray some starting fluid into the intake, it will fire. What's next on the diagnostic list?

BTW, when car died, it was sitting overnight. Started immediately, the when I started to back up, it stalled, and wouldn't restart.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2001 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Park on a slope?
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2001 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
We tried that. It won't even start on a slope.

Not on a slope, not with a rope,
Not with a key, for him *or* me,
Not with some Spam, not worth a damn,
It will not start, Damn Sam I am...

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2001 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
maybe something to do with the fuel pump.. does it keep pressure? dont take my word on it..i hate the diag part of workin on cars. but worth a shot i guess.

------------------
JOEJOE Aol:KissMySSFiero

88FORMULA
KissMySSFiero@netzero.net

"There's a fine line between love and beer"

Turbo1dr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2001 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turbo1drClick Here to visit Turbo1dr's HomePageSend a Private Message to Turbo1drDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the cold start injector quit working.

------------------
86 SE Fiero converted to GT (Buick Turbo V6 transplant in progress)

78 Malibu 3.8L Turbo Buick
TURBO WONDER
Best 8th: 1.548, 6.62@106.32 3450lb
TE-70 3 bolt, Ported Stock Iron Heads and Intake
2.5 stock intercoolers
Vernon Swindell, Jr.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2001 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Well, it appears to be holding pressure. And it's getting a full 45psi when cranking, so that's good. Don't know about the cold start injector. I would think it would still start, but run like crap. It just won't start. I'm almost starting to suspect jumped timing, but I want to exhaust everything else, first. Got a friend of mine who's a mechanic coming over on Sun. to take a look. Wish me luck, and please, let me know if you have any ideas.
bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2001 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
cap? check
rotor? check
control module? check
coil? check
fuel filter? check
vacuum lines?
wires?
plugs?
altenator?
fuse box?
membrain?
parking brake release?
back up light switch?
your drivers license?
washer fluid levels?

------------------
hoop
Red '86 GT
KYB's, Eibach's,
Poly Bushings

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2001 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post
Forgot tire pressure...
voyagerspe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2001 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for voyagerspeSend a Private Message to voyagerspeDirect Link to This Post
check your throttle postioning sensor, and your idle control motor on the throttle body.
the Idle control motor can get pretty gummed up try cleaning it with carb cleaner. also
even though you get pressure when your engine cranks your fuel pump can be bad. I had that problem on a 95 tahoe it would hold pressure for about 15 to 20 seconds. just long enuff for the car to start and then you would put it in gear and it would die. It took about 3 days and about $200.00 in sensors before we figured out that the fuel pump couldnt hold its pressure. Hope this helps
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2001 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bHooper:
cap? check
rotor? check
control module? check
coil? check
fuel filter? check
vacuum lines?
wires?
plugs?
altenator?
fuse box?
membrain?
parking brake release?
back up light switch?
your drivers license?
washer fluid levels?

Vacuum lines, check - with the exception of a brokekn EGR tube. But the car's been running like that for a few weeks.
Wires - again, no change, but the car's been running with them.
Plugs - Check.
Alternator - Check - at least the guage shows about 14 V when running.
Fuse Box - Check -Visually verified all fuses.
Membrane - WTF?
Parking brake release - funny
Backup light switch - check - just cuz I checked it when I did the clutch.
Driver's Liscense - a bit warm lately.
Washer fluid levels - THAT MUST BE IT!!

Also, we tried swapping out the ECM from another car. No change. It appears - assuming the fuel pressure is good - that the injectors aren't firing, or possbily the car has jumped timing? Any other possibilities?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2001 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Update: It's getting spark. The timing looks close enough. It appears the injectors aren't firing. Fuel pressure is good. We tried an ECM out of an '87 GT, but don't know for sure if it would work. One thing we did notice is the the Check Engine light isn't coming on when we tried to check codes, so it looks like some type of electrical or ECM related problem. Suggestions? It's possible something blew my ECM, so when we swapped out the other ECM, it got blown as well. We're going to try to test the ECM's in a running car later this week, but other than that, I'm running out of ideas. A little help, please!

Oh, and if it helps, I'm a sexy, single, 24 year old girl gymnast who would be most grateful for your help. MOST grateful!

PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2001 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Did you check all the fuse links to the brain box?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Fuse links to the computer? I'm not aware of any. I checked all the fuses in the fuse block. What am I missing? Are there fusible links to the ECM?

Thanks in advance for any help, guys. (and gals!)

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
A grand total of 3 feed different points of the box.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Where are they? The only connections I saw to the ECM were the two bus plugs at the bottom of the ECM. Where are the fuse links located?
Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Link F. Red to Orange wire @ junction block in engine compartment.
Link G. Off starter solinoid rust to purple wire. (feeds cold start circut)
Link H. (must be the other I was thinking of) feeds the coil.

Some have an additional link in the harness just before leaving the engine compartment to the passenger compartment, but not all.

Turn signals work?

bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
sorry i forgot about tire pressure!

also, check the tach fliter...Bob Englert just had a problem with his. it was creating some stumbling and sputtering.

also, it is possible for to buy a bad set of spark plug sires.

------------------
hoop
Red '86 GT
KYB's, Eibach's,
Poly Bushings

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
If I remember correctly, the turn signlas to work, but I'll double check. Thanks for the fuse link info. I'll try to check that tonight.

Hoop, the tire pressure's ok. I just added new tire filters and muffler bearings, so the sunroof shouldn't be the problem.

bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
thats good to know that your muffler bearings are in good shape.

what about the velcro, on the back of hte floor mats? that could be creating a static charge that is interfearing with the control module?

also, what shape is the flux capasitor in?

in all seriousness, though, check the tach filter. you may want to email Bob about this.

good luck!
hoop

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Hoop... it's not stumbling or sputtering, 'cause won't start, period.

It ain't stumblin'.. it fell down and can't get up...

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Where's a First Alert bracelet when you need one!
PFF
System Bot
thrax82

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thrax82Send a Private Message to thrax82Direct Link to This Post
you may have a clogged fuel line or injectors
possibly a valve problem
Turbo1dr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turbo1drClick Here to visit Turbo1dr's HomePageSend a Private Message to Turbo1drDirect Link to This Post
Ignition Module bad causing no injector pulse.

------------------
86 SE Fiero converted to GT (Buick Turbo V6 transplant in progress)

78 Malibu 3.8L Turbo Buick
TURBO WONDER
Best 8th: 1.548, 6.62@106.32 3450lb
TE-70 3 bolt, Ported Stock Iron Heads and Intake
2.5 stock intercoolers
Vernon Swindell, Jr.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2001 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Ok, we tried my ECM in LZeitgeist's Formula. The ECM is good; however, the Check Engine light isn't coming on. (it does come on in his car when you start the engine)
I'm thinking the ECM is not getting power. Going through the fusible links and fuses when I get some more daylight and a bit warmer temps. Thanks for the ignition module tip, but we've already swapped that out with an allegedly good one. We'll test it in a good car probably tomorrow. The connectors on the module looked pretty nasty, so it may not be getting a good connection (we did try to clean them up). Thanks for all the help people, keep the ideas coming!!

And for some incentive, I'll buy whomever comes up with the correct problem first a beer.

"Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
On the other side, make sure that your S.E. light is a good bulb. The S.O.B. might be toast!
Start over.
bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
ooo.. ooo.... i know what the problem is!! it just hit me.... are ya ready?.... i have the answer... its the ....

CAR!!!! the car is the problem.

YES!! I win the beer!

Yea, ME!

------------------
hoop
Red '86 GT
KYB's, Eibach's,
Poly Bushings

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Yea, I thought about the bulb going. It was working recently, but it could have gone out. I'll just have to pull it to check. Does anyone know what terminals on the ECM plug should have voltage? I could check them with a VOM to make sure the ECM is getting power. I'm really thinking the ECM isn't getting power, just gotta figure out why.

Thanks, Hoop. No, you don't win the beer.

Are all the fuse links at the junction block next to the battery? I've got the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, but it doesn't say anything about location. Also, it could be a pinched or broken wire from when I dropped the cradle to do my clutch, but the car ran for a week without so much as a hiccup after the swap.

Thanks for the help, people. I'm really getting frustrated here, and knowing there's others out there trying to help me figure this out really does help.

TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
I know that Jaygee79's 84 SE is a 4 banger, but It was doing the same thing. No check engine light and all. It was a fusible link near the BATT. I know that 84 is different but I bet it is a fusible link. I didn't see any broke. I had to do it with a test light.

Hope this helps ya.

P.S. Sam Adams

------------------
Josh

My pics

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
That may be it. All my fuse links look ok on the outside (a couple have chaffed insulation, but no signed of burning and it's not chaffed all the way through). Gonna get a test light and check it out.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed people! The twins will ride again! (i hope)

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
If not, can I have your car for parts?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Sure! Except for the engine vent wing nuts.
PFF
System Bot
bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
... can i have those ??
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
LOL!!!!!
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Hey, Hoop - I'll trade you some cool luggage for those wingnuts if you get'em...
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2001 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Nah, I've got plans for those wing nuts. Their going to be the donor for a new Fiero I'll be building to replace this one if it doesn't get fixed soon. I'll just take the car off the wing nuts and replace it.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2001 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
drum roll please.....

keep your fingers crossed people. going after the fuse links tonight.....

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2001 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Ok, here's the latest update. The Check Engine light bulb is good, but not coming on. There are 5 fuse links near the junction block at the battery. They all tested good, if I'm testing them correctly. I assume they would fail at the large black area with the rating number on it. I checked for battery voltage both before and after that part, and got voltage in both places.

HELP! I'm running out of ideas! It still looks like the ECM isn't getting power. Does anyone have the pinout of the ECM harness connectors so I can check for voltage? I'm getting real close to taking the car to a {gasp} dealership! I need to figure this out.

And I WILL offer sexual favors, and beer, to anyone who can fix this! I've had the car since January, and I've been able to drive it maybe 2 weeks during the whole time! This has got to change.

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2001 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the one at the starter?
It's there you know.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2001 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Well, I didn't check the link at the starter, but since the car turns over fine, I would suspect it's ok. The ECM is apparently not getting power, cuz there's no check engine light (the bulb tests good). I wouldn't think the starter circuit would affect that. What do you think?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2001 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
So, Indy, I'm re-reading your post about the fuse links. 1 at the junction block, 1 at the starter, and 1 at the coil? I checked 5 at the junction block, but no others. I'll try to get the other two tomorrow. Any other ideas, people?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock