Mustang II Front Suspension Question by Seanh
Started on: 11-04-2000 11:46 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: pollock on 11-09-2000 12:38 PM
Seanh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2000 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at the SEMA booklet for this year and noticed there is a company that makes Stainless Steel brakes with 4 piston calipers. They dont have one for the Fiero, but they do make one for a Mustang II front suspension. How hard would it be to put on the Fiero, if possible? Is there anyone who sells a Mustang II convesion kit? Thanks

------------------

Sean's Fiero Page

Sean Heberly
Silver 86 GT 2.8 Auto
Going on to 3.4 in Jan.
If you smoke after sex, your doing it way to fast.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2000 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on a bolt in Mustang II suspension kit, but it likely won't be ready until some time next year.
Do you mean stainless steel calipers?
Why would you want them? That's more unsprung weight than an aluminum caliper without a corresponding increase in performance.
Seanh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2000 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhDirect Link to This Post
Wouldnt a 4 piston caliper out perform the aluminum calipers on there now?

------------------

Sean's Fiero Page

Sean Heberly
Silver 86 GT 2.8 Auto
Going on to 3.4 in Jan.
If you smoke after sex, your doing it way to fast.

Wannabe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2000 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WannabeSend a Private Message to WannabeDirect Link to This Post
Wilwood makes a disc brake kit with 4 pistom al calipers and 10.75" vented rotors that bolts onto the Mustang II spindle. Cost is somewhere around $700.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2000 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think that 84-87 calipers were aluminum, but I might be wrong. I know '88 calipers are half aluminum and half cast iron.
Most four piston calipers are designed well enough to out perform a single piston floater. I would go with an aluminum 4 (Wilwood dynalite, etc.) or 6 (Wilwood GN III, etc.) piston caliper before a stainless steel caliper, except possibly for an armored car or large truck.
Unsprung weight in the suspension has a much larger effect on a car's handling than extra weight in the chassis. When considered with a wheel, tire, spindle/hub-carrier, spring, control arms, etc. that combined weigh less than 100 pounds, a 2 pound difference in caliper weight is suddenly quite large.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2000 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I believe I know how the confusion about the stainless calipers started. There is a brake parts company called Stainless Steel Brakes. They make brake upgrade kits for all kinds of cars, mostly muscle cars. I think their name was derrived from the fact that they make replacement brake lines (hard lines) out of stainless steel. I don't think they make any stainless calipers or rotors.

The 84-87 Fiero calipers are all aluminum with phenolic pistons. Can't get much lighter than that! That is one of the main reasons I have never really considered the grand-am brake upgrade, which also doesn't increase rotor diameter and leaves you without a park brake.

------------------
Jon Lagler
'87 GT (awaiting new engine)
4.9 liter V8 Testarossa Spyder (under construction)

"Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation"

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2000 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the company Stainless Steel Brakes is named for making brake upgrades for cars with drum front brakes using rebuilt and resleeved (in stainless) calipers. That was a long time ago, but I think they still do it They make brake upgrades now with 84 and up Corvette calipers I think.
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2000 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
There's a company called Speedway Motors(402-323-3200),that sells 4 piston aluminum calipers for $90 apiece.I'd get these,but I already have a set of BMW 4 piston units to put on.A small bracket would need to be fabbed,as well as getting new brake lines.
pollock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2000 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pollockSend a Private Message to pollockDirect Link to This Post
I have the Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation drum-to-disk conversion kit on the front of my 65 Mustang. Good stuff. I think the calipers are stainless.

Pontiaddict, you may have inadvertantly helped me out.... i've been wondering if there's a factory pad that would work in my calipers, but since they are 4-piston units, i didn't think there would be. I hadn't thought of looking into a Vette pad.

Then again, new pads from SSBC are probably just as cheap.

To try and contribute to Sean's Q:
I'm sure you could get Mustang II stuff to go on a fiero. I wouldn't attempt the whole suspension, just the spindles and brakes. You'd probably have to use m-II ball joints and outer tie rod ends, and make mods to get them to fit. Then again, the spindles might be such a different shape that they'd never fit.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock