Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FieroSound's subs - how deep are the boxes??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

FieroSound's subs - how deep are the boxes?? by fierosound
Started on: 05-07-2000 09:49 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: fierosound on 12-17-2000 06:19 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2000 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
People have been asking this quite often, and the photos on my website obviously don't show clearly this information. I had my seats out to shampoo the carpet and took new photos as below.

At location I & II it is 3 inches from the FRONT of the console to the front of the sub-box. At location III it is 4 1/2 inches from the bolt center to the front of the sub-box. In the second photo you can see where the front of the sub box is relative to the seat belts on the side panels.

These are boxes using the OZ Audio 250L subs. These are only 4 3/4 inches deep, and have excellent specs. http://www.sounddomain.com/shopping/product_details.cgi?sku=OZA250L&sidebar_

If you use a monster 15" long throw sub-woofer with a basket 8 inches deep, your box will have to be significantly deeper

fierosound website: www.geocities.com/fierosound

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-16-2000).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
80's BOY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 340
User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2000 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 80's BOYSend a Private Message to 80's BOYDirect Link to This Post
first of all, your system is the best!! i need advice. i have a fiero as a weekend car. it has roll bars along the interior from front to back 'cause i cut the top into a full targa. looks great, but now it's time for the stereo setup. i want to make a box out of the area where the back glass is and wall it out with two 12" subs. i think it would be more show than quality, but it's better than nothing!! by the way, my car is on the radical side as far as customizing goes. the interior has been redone with black, white, and yellow accents. any suggestions??
Homicidal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2000 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HomicidalSend a Private Message to HomicidalDirect Link to This Post
those are very small power ratings on the subs though! They must sound good though!
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2000 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Hey FieroSound...
I fianlly have almost finished my set-up similar to yours (need to vinyl) The lower section has the sub while the upper houses the amp.... all in one nice neat unit. Should have pics soon. (need to finish rolL) It rocks HARD with 2 JL Audio 10w1's

Have a few pics at www.cox-internet.com/fiero

Fret Naught

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2000 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fret NaughtSend a Private Message to Fret NaughtDirect Link to This Post
FieroSound,
I have been toying with a similar idea, though I am not looking for a real boomer, just some more bass. Your install is great real clean and neat just the way I like to see things done. What did you cover the boxes with? How did you attach them to the back? I was actually thinking of get this a big chunk of VELCRO. Keep up the good work
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2000 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Fret,

I attached the boxes to the firewall with sheet metal screws, but I used alot less than Loki http://www.cox-internet.com/fiero/mystereo.htm and once they're in, they're there forever!!

I covered them with unbacked carpeting, using a high quality spray adhesive. I also recovered the door panels with the same material. As I had installed speakers in the kick panels where the footrests are,
I ordered new matching carpet without any footpads as well.

There's work involved in putting subs behind the Fiero seats. Check my website below:
http://www.geocities.com/fierosound/

If you decide to install subs this way, here's a better breakdown of the work involved.

Tools you need:

- electric drill and bits
- electric hand jigsaw - wood and metal blades
- table saw or electric hand saw
- hand saw
- tape measure
- 3/4" MDF panel (Medium Density Fiberboard)
- wood screws, metal screws, wood glue, silicone
- cardboard from appliance box is useful

The interior of the Fiero is not "square", so I can't send exact sizes for anything. You have to build the boxes into the car while the interior in the rear section is removed. Removing the seats gives more room. If needed as a daily driver, you may have to remove/reinstall driver's seat several times as you work.

Once the interior is out, what needs to be done becomes obvious if you follow the information at my site.

The gas filler pipe runs through the area on the driver's side - be careful!! To cut out the firewall, drill a small hole about 12 inches up from the floor. Insert a wire coat hanger to "feel out" how large an area you can cut out. Use and electric hand jigsaw. It's better to start small - you can always cut out more.

The "well" is in an 8" or 10" inch channel supporting the firewall. Each end needs to be sealed. Cut some MDF to fit and silicone into place. Some people are using fibreglass to to this - probably easier. You need to seal this - otherwise all your bass will be "outside". There is limited space for speaker magnets. Buy high efficiency speakers with small magnets. I recommend OZ Audio 10" 250L subs because of their excellent specs. http://www.sounddomain.com/shopping/product_details.cgi?sku=OZA250L&sidebar_

"Try out" how/where speakers will fit and take measurements. You can use cardboard to help "size" the box you will need to build. This can then serve as a template to help build the MDF enclosure.

Build the "frames" first - make sure they fit properly. It'll take time to shape and trim them to fit snugly against the firewall. THIS IS THE MOST TIME CONSUMING BUT MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!

Attach to firewall with sheet metal screws. Don't forget to get your speaker wire routed into the sub box at this time. Seal firewall/frame joint with silicone to make sub box airtight. This is where proper fitting helps installing and sealing.

Make your front panels. Also determine what you will do across the top below the window to finish. Keep in mind you need to install speakers from the front - so you can remove them for replacement. Determine how you want to mount speaker:
- surface mount with grill
- sunken with custom grill panel

Check for clearance/fit of panels to center console, wall panels, etc. Attach speakers to panels and check again, making sure everything fits/clears. Make adjustments as necessary so everything fits. Remove speakers (to prevent accidentally damaging them).

Attach front panels to frames with glue/screws. Install speakers again and test run - check for rattles, etc. and fix if any. Remove speakers (to prevent accidentally damaging them).

Cover the sub boxes with covering of your choice. Unbacked carpeting is best and easiest to work with. It can be cut easily, stretched around corners and will hide small imperfections. It can be bought from car upholstery shops and Car Audio stores in a variety of colors. Use a good quality spray adhesive.

Cut and reinstall carpeting - leave enough to tuck under/around edges sub boxes. Install side panels and center console. Install speakers and grills. Reinstall seats. You're done!!!

Hope this helps,
Good luck.

fierosound
Calgary, AB

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-16-2000).]

Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2000 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post
So FieroSound,

How much room does the boxes take up?

What tools and how should I go about doing the project?

Just Kidding.
Thanks for the measurements and the new pics.

Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2000 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post

Spyder

546 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Loki,
I like the LCD screen, Cool.
And the setup.
TooLowFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2000 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TooLowFieroSend a Private Message to TooLowFieroDirect Link to This Post
FieroSound,
How many decibals is your car pushing and how many watts are you running in you car??

TIA

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2000 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
TooLow...

6x50 watts @ 4 ohms gets me 115-120db. BUT extremely high SOUND QUALITY is what I also have.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2000 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Homicidal...

180 watts per sub (360 peak per sub) should be more than enough for anybody. I'm only running 50 watts each! More important, is the 93db sensitivity (efficiency) which means you can get more SPL with less power. Check the specs on some other subs. Those with a sensitivity of 86db (and lower) NEED LOTS of power to work properly!

About your nickname... does it relate somehow to the amount of WATTS and BASS you think you need??

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-09-2000).]

PFF
System Bot
Homicidal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2000 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HomicidalSend a Private Message to HomicidalDirect Link to This Post
My 10" Polk Audio db has a 300W RMS and 600W peak. I am pushing 125-250W on it.

50W each just sounds like it will give minor bass and nothing earth shattering.

I get all my mirrors in my cars to shake off one sub, and since it cost me.....$0 I am happy!

RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2000 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
If you use a monster 15" long, with a basket 8 inches deep, your box will have to be significantly deeper

I really wish I had this problem

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2000 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound, Loki;

Are your seats covered with cloth or leather? I'm looking for that setup but I'm worried that the sub will not sound as good through my leather seats. If I install the subs there my seats will allways be all the way to the back (6' driver) and I'n not sure how the waves will travel with the seat back stuck to the grill. Any ideas?

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2000 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I guess you picked the perfect moniker Homicidal

What kind of SPL does that generate??

http://www.polkmomo.com/mm100.html

The above site give specs for the 10" MOMO (the Competition series) sub from Polk Audio. It has a sensitivity rating of 85db. I'm not sure which model you have.

The rule of thumb in car audio is:

To DOUBLE the volume, you need 10 TIMES the power. That is why 50 watts does little for your sub, as it needs more power anyway. This is where some people get in trouble... they mismatch their speakers and amplifier power. Mine could use more power but DOESN'T NEED IT. If I put it into competition again, I might do something just to generate more SPL points.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2000 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Alex...

Leave 1 inch between your seatback and grill. If you can't, I suppose you need to look a for an alternate method of installing subs.

Most trunk equipped cars fire their subs THROUGH the backseat without any problems. The nature of the low frequency soundwaves is quite different from that of highs and is less prone to being blocked.

No matter what, your bass will have to be better than a car that has no subs at all!

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2000 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
fierosound, where do you get the info on where the fals wallis I am gona try this this summer sometime and was wondering where that area is where theres a fals wall.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2000 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Dan86gt

Check this earlier forum. The photo there may give you a better idea about what you get after cutting the firewall. You then have to build the sub boxes.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/001430.html

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2000 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea and it looks good, but I have no intention of cutting into the metal of my firewall. On to plan B (whatever that is).
Omnipotence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2000 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OmnipotenceSend a Private Message to OmnipotenceDirect Link to This Post
take a look at the JBL GT subwoofers, or the gti subwoofers. I have a pair of 12" JBL gt subwoofers, they have a sensetivity rating of 97, and handle 300 wats RMS. the new gti subwoofers are a little less sensitive, but have 2X the Xmax of the gt. one of best sounding subwoofers i have heard.
84 Indy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2000 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84 IndySend a Private Message to 84 IndyDirect Link to This Post
I did the same thing as Fierosound only after seeing his car at his site. He e-mailed me the info on this thread. I used 12" alumapro subs and adjusted the box volume. There are powered with 2 Zapco studio 300 amps each bridged. my car sounds really great. And by the way I never thanked fierosound for the info you made it real easy THANKS FIEROSOUND
PFF
System Bot
MooCow

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2000 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowDirect Link to This Post
Foer some reason the pics that Fierosound has on here will not load up for me. Can someone send me the pics to see what it looks like with these new pictures?

Thanks Ken

MachineHead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2000 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MachineHeadSend a Private Message to MachineHeadDirect Link to This Post
Hey FieroSounds, are you a member of the Forum at Sound Domain?

Oz subs have excellent sound quality. If you want super loud bass, these aren't the subs for you.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2000 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Yes, my car is listed as an install at www.sounddomain.com
I think there are 7 Fieros with their sound systems listed there...

Thanks. OZ Audio subs are noted for high-end SQ applications. Anyone who has sat in my car and listened to the system has NEVER made any comments about any lack of SPL or pointed out any inadequacies of the system. (I guess there is none that they can notice) I've taken home hardware (trophies) from every event I competed in (15), including a "1st Place" AND "Best of Show" at one event.

I'd still recommend OZ Audio subs (or similarly spec'd subs) for a Fiero install because they have a high efficiency rating, and have small powerful magnet structures. This is ideal, because there is limited room in the driver's side for a sub magnet, even after you cut out the firewall next to the gas filler pipe.

I'm a believer in "Do it Once - Do it RIGHT!"

I also used this approach when I built a high-performance 3.4L this past fall. Details are here - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/005508.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-17-2000).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock