Started on: 04-02-99 10:03 PM
Replies: 182
Last post by: AkursedX on 12-10-2000 02:02 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2000 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Captain, in my first post directed to you, I was welcoming, yes, actually welcoming you to this forum. What a mistake that was. As it turns out, you've obviously got a chip on your shoulder the size of a battleship. Sorry if I didn't salute you, but at this forum your "rank" means nothing.

I have nothing more to say to you, so go ahead and give me your best shot. It's just unfortunate that this long informative thread, which has benefitted many people over the last year and a half, has finally been dragged down by the likes of you.

IP: Logged
capt_ron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2000 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for capt_ronClick Here to visit capt_ron's HomePageSend a Private Message to capt_ronDirect Link to This Post
How amazing to have you welcome me to this forum Patrick, even if in the same post you called me a minority. I wonder who appointed you to be the spokesman here in this thread, apparently you must be the king of the backyard shade trees that I addressed earlier. This is evident by the way that you react to my posts, talk about a chip. This long thread is nothing but one repeat message after another and was long overdue for some common sense trouble shooting and repair information. Isn't it funny though how lately people are posting their success and lack of problems with the clutch that you can't get to work right without using ATF or other miracle fixes.
It's too bad that you had to start slamming me because I have little time to continue this with someone so narrow minded. When I see that someone has a problem that I can help with I'll just sit here and smile thinking that Patrick will come to the rescue with a well thought out and designed fix. After all you are the KING!

About the 'Captain' since you mentioned it, that is my legal title and that's how you will address me.

Kids...

To those not involved in this childish exchange please accept my apologies and good luck with you clutch. In the mean time I will take my 32 years of experience and put to good use elsewhere.

------------------
CAPT RON...
Jack of Trades,
Master of None.
87 SE, 2.8L, Getrag.

[This message has been edited by capt_ron (edited 09-20-2000).]

capt_ron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2000 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for capt_ronClick Here to visit capt_ron's HomePageSend a Private Message to capt_ronDirect Link to This Post

capt_ron

37 posts
Member since May 2000
Somehow I double posted and when I tried to delete the double it posted another double because of a time out on the server.

------------------
CAPT RON...
Jack of Trades,
Master of None.
87 SE, 2.8L, Getrag.

Gold-86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2000 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gold-86SESend a Private Message to Gold-86SEDirect Link to This Post

Granted, I have not take the 14 hours necessary to read thru 5 pages of posts, but I have one question.

Why is it that we get squabbles of issues like this?

One guy trys one thing - it worked. One guy tries another thing - it worked. Sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat.
And myself as a watcher of a thread, may not always respond to that thread, but seeing two or more points regarding an issue, sometimes, can be very beneficial when diagnosing my problems.

Just my $0.02.

------------------
Gold-86SE (Fiero Collector)

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2000 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the double post, it's the next one I hope you read.

[This message has been edited by webbee (edited 09-20-2000).]

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2000 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post

webbee

1149 posts
Member since Jun 2000
I'm with gold-86se on this one. I find this thread (that won't die) very informative, and I have an automatic. Ok, ok, I'm a closet shifter! I'll get in a program.
Ozzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2000 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OzzySend a Private Message to OzzyDirect Link to This Post
Damn...I'm just stoked to see this post resurected again! Kinda like an old song that takes you back to another time and place.
ScuFunk316

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2000 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScuFunk316Send a Private Message to ScuFunk316Direct Link to This Post
Hehe OZZY, i guess im the one to blame for that =X

P.S. ozzy rocks :0)

PFF
System Bot
2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2000 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
OK so I'll be the culprit that resserects this thread. I have an 85GT 4spd that shifts fine when I first start it, but when it warms up it doesn't want to shift unless I'm moving. Is this similar to what is happening to everyone else?

------------------
Jeff
85GT

LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2000 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
That sounds like you've got a small leak, after 5-10 minutes of driving does the clutch feel soft? Can you build up pressure again for a while by pressing and releasing the clutch 3-4 times as fast as you can? Have you bled the clutch to get all the air out, have the problem come back the next day, and bleed the system only to find more air bubbles?

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2000 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
Well I looked at my clutch pedal and it's alumiminum and twisted. anyone got a spare steel pedal? No I haven't bled the system yet, this problem just appeared yesterday.I think thos is the problem, if I really press on the pedal it goes in to gear easier.

------------------
Jeff
85GT

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2000 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
I called to price out a new slave cylinder today. Napa quoted me $85 and 2 other places told me $30 and one other place actually had one and wanted $69. I think the 2 $30 are quoting me the wrong thing.

------------------
Jeff
85GT

ScuFunk316

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2000 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScuFunk316Send a Private Message to ScuFunk316Direct Link to This Post
OK I GIVE UP!!!! The shops want 500 + just to see whats WRONG with my clutch...unless somebody is willing to take it on or help me get a fiero for about 500 bucks and the 86 SE 4 cylinder i got then i guess my fiero days are over before they began...i really love the car already...someone please help me out here...PLEASE
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2000 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Pat and Ron, you both started it (well, Pat, I always feel like you are always trying to start something, but it could be that these are just words, and I have no clue how you are actually saying them... But, as for the "I am a Captain, adn that is how you will address me", that was kind of childish. But anyways, continuing with my clutch sega.. As the master and slave seemed ok, and the slave threw enough to at least disengage the clutch (but the clutch didn't disengage), I am working inside the tranny right now. So far, I have the cradle out, and just seperated the drive shaft from the tranny to take it out. I hope to do that monday or tuesday, and I will let you guys know if that is the problem. if it is, I think a lot of people are going to replacing their ATF with brake fluid and going after the real cause.
ScuFunk316

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2000 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScuFunk316Send a Private Message to ScuFunk316Direct Link to This Post
PLEASE HELP IM GOIN NUTS!!!!!!!!
polomeno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2000 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for polomenoSend a Private Message to polomenoDirect Link to This Post
wow i just read EVERY post in this thread.. took me most of my work day .. and i want to say it kicks ass!! good job boys

John

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2000 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
eeek it's the undead thread!!!

------------------
Jeff
85GT

Tone007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2000 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tone007Send a Private Message to Tone007Direct Link to This Post
<cheering> Yay, automatic!

PFF
System Bot
fierose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2000 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseSend a Private Message to fieroseDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2xsess:
[B]I called to price out a new slave cylinder today. Napa quoted me $85 and 2 other places told me $30 and one other place actually had one and wanted $69. I think the 2 $30 are quoting me the wrong thing.

Just wanted to let you know that the slave cylinder I bought was around $35. And on the flip side to that I bought it a year ago and already it's starting to go bad, so I'm going to be buying a new one that is OEM if they still make them or high quality from someone. If someone could give some advice on a good brand to buy, I would greatly appreciate it. When you go to an auto parts store frankly some of those manufacturers are a shot in the dark. The replacement I bought was a cast iron piece of junk that was rusted by the end of the first week it was on my car. With how many people that have problems with these things I think it would be cool if someone designed a modified slave cylinder or a modified clutch system that could possibly "help" some of the problems that so many of us are plagued with. I don't think other vehicles, maybe with some exceptions have the magnitude of problems I've seen on this forum with the clutch system. I'm just glad that I finally learned how to shift with no clutch which mysteriously goes out, enough to get home and bleed it. Or sometimes I just leave the car sit overnight and then it shifts the next morning ok. Got me. enough babbling

/QUOTE]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2000 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
Fierose,

ALL aftermarket slaves are made by the same manufacturer. Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos, etc.....all are that P.O.S. cast iron design and all are prone to failure.

You can still buy the "real" thing at your local GM dealer. They do cost more than these parts store versions, but they will work the first time and will last another 10-15 years! I think it's a no brainer, myself.

Some people have had good luck with the aftermarket slaves, but I went through 3 in less than a year in a Formula I owned. All were replaced for free, but I finally had enough and bought a GM unit.....problem solved.

Good luck.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2000 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by capt_ron:
About the 'Captain' since you mentioned it, that is my legal title and that's how you will address me.

umm.... no.

Anyway, I just read through this all again, in an attempt to find an answer to a question that someone emailed me. I didn't find it.. the guy needs to replace his clutch, and he asked if he had to drop the engine to do so. I'm pretty sure that's not required.. if anyone here has any suggestions for the easiest way to replace a clutch, please let me know so I can pass this information along.

thanks!

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

bubbajoexx
No longer registered
Report this Post12-10-2000 12:21 PM   Send a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Motorhead:
Wow! I go away for a couple days and miss everything.

After reading all these posts,I like the idea of finding a different master-slave ratio, but it would be a trial and error procedure, right? And what about possibble damage caused by too much travel?

You guys are vastly more experienced with this car than I, but I gotta' agree with Ogres point of insuring that other components are in proper operating condition before trying mods.

By the way,in my nature of the beast remark I was comparing our cars to the mechanical shift linkage set ups. I think some of my shifting preblems are a result of worn cables and slave cylinder, which I'll fix when money and time permit.

Educational discussion ya'll, keep up the good work!

another problem missed by lots of people are the fork shaft bushings when the are badly worn the slave fells like it has air in it and no amount of bleading will cure it replace the plastic bushing with brass ones and the droblem is solved.

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2000 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I'm beginning to wonder if this post will ever die.. I feel like i've read this thing a million times! I'm just glad I have a an automatic.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock