88 wheel sizes by Eric
Started on: 02-04-2000 06:17 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: mwbackus on 02-05-2000 10:18 AM
Eric

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2000 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
Would there be any negative effects to using wheels that are the same width on the 88 suspension? It's really hard to find a matching set that has the correct offset/ backset that the car requires in two different wheel widths. As an example, 7.5s on front and 8.5s on back. If I found a good set of wheels that fit the car and everything and were the same width say 8 inches, could I put 225s on the front and 245s on the back without any problems? Could someone with an 88 who has put aftermarket wheels on help me? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2000 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
as long as they don't rub anything it shouldn't change the geometry of the car.

I personaaly feel that 215/60s are the biggest that should go on the front because it tends to hunt the road.

but as long as your motor has dialkyldithiophosphate in it you should be okay.

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2000 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
I tried 225 all around and the Fiero wandered fiercely on uneven roads. Put the old 205's back on and it fixed the wander, putting 215's on this spring, hope they track better than the 225. Not much coice on my part, my engine is ashless.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2000 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
I must say that I have run BF Goodrich Comp TAs at 225/50 on all 4 corners and they were just fine. They were great in the rain too. (What little we have here.) They lasted a long time had great treadwear of 360. I traveled everywhere with those tires with out hesitation the best tires I have experienced. Hunting? They never gave me any problems.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2000 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
hunting-----more lkely to hit a deer.

or when your car kind of follows the grooves in the road. Not really a problem, just different.

mwbackus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwbackusSend a Private Message to mwbackusDirect Link to This Post
I run BFG TA's, 225 front and 245 rear (Formula with stock lace wheels). I have not experienced noticable degradation in handling due to this application. Tread design, compounds, and inflation pressure can also effect handling. With so many varibles present, it would be somewhat unfair to attribute the adverse handling to the increased width alone. I would also recommend a wheel re-alignment after alteration of tire/wheel size.

The wider tread on back really helps to prevent excessive wheel spin during an agressive launch. Although I would not suggest this combination for an autocross track, it has proven to be quite advantageous for street use.

Mike

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I just got a set of 16x8" Centerlines with 225-50ZR tires for my 88 Fiero. I hope they don't rub anything... haven't put them on yet.

As far as autocrossing with offset tires... I have a terrible push when coming out of a hairpin at full-throttle (even with 4 15x7 87 GT wheels at all corners with 215-60's) and not much trouble with the rear trying to out-run the front so I am gonna stay with same width tires on my Fiero.

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 02-05-2000).]

DISenchanted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DISenchantedSend a Private Message to DISenchantedDirect Link to This Post
Hey Mike, are you running 50's in the rear and 60's in the front?
mwbackus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2000 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwbackusSend a Private Message to mwbackusDirect Link to This Post
Dis: 225/50-15's front and 245/50-15's on the rear. There is a %3 speedo error with this setup, not enough to worry about(IMO).

Mike

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock