Started on: 02-01-2000 09:33 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Alex4mula on 02-03-2000 10:51 AM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
When removing my distributor (88-V6) last night a long hex rod came out with it. I suspect that it is the oil pump drive shaft. I placed back the whole thing and tapped it couple of itmes and when I removed the distributor again everything looked OK. Is it possible that I damaged something? Is that an indication that something is broken down there? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Oil PUMP!! Sorry for the mistake...
Phaeton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
That rod is not fastened in place other than not having room to jump out of alignment when the distributor is bolted down.
Tom88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom88gtSend a Private Message to Tom88gtDirect Link to This Post
don't sweat it. That shaft attaches to nothing. Just drop it back in the hole and make sure the distributor seats fully. If the shaft it not aligned the distributor will not seat so you can't get it wrong.
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Same thing happened to me when I changed my distributor last month. I had to put a little RTV in the part where the rod goes into the distributor to keep the rod from constantly falling out. Once it set it went right back in again.
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
If this rod does not do anything, Then what is it in there for?
Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2000 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
The rod spins the oil pump, the pump gets dizzy and throws up, that makes everything slippery.
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2000 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like fun!
Tom88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2000 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom88gtSend a Private Message to Tom88gtDirect Link to This Post
Skip the RTV, pieces may fall off and work their way down into the oil pump. The shaft just drops into place on the top of the oil pump. It is not attached to either the pump or distributor. Both ends just slide into the ends of both and are held in place when the distributor is fully seated.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2000 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all. I was able to put it back without problems.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock