Started on: 04-28-2013 10:47 AM
Replies: 6 (2336 views)
Last post by: dremu on 01-19-2021 02:03 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We know the distributor O-ring is a bad source of leaks as they harden with age and crack.
Unfortunately, when you ask for a Fiero distributor O-ring, you get the same crap Buna-N black O-ring.

What you want is the better tan colored Viton O-ring which stands up to engine heat better.
The problem is the parts guy can't find the thing "for the Fiero".

Later year V6 engines with DIS systems didn't have a distributor, but they still had a geared drive
in the distributor's place to drive the oil pump. These later applications have the Viton O-ring available.

What you need to ask for the the O-ring for the Oil Pump Drive Gear.
Sometimes they call it a Seal and maybe Oil Pump Gasket (see example)

This example is for a 2004 Grand AM with the 3.4L (3400) engine.

ACDELCO Part # 10477565 http://www.rockauto.com/cat...426698,parttype,5444

Fel-Pro Part # 704841 http://www.napaonline.com/C...FPG704841_0147537476

NAPA's Part # is 655-1294. http://www.napaonline.com/C...DP6551294_0374155317

I think you may find them in "Help" packages as well.
Dorman PN 90441 - Distributor O-Ring Assortment

For "insurance" I also use a Felpro distributor base gasket (thanks for the pic Schurkey)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-09-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman also sells an improved distributor o ring. Once I replaced the factory o ring with Rdney's upgraded replacement, no more oil leakage at that location. This has been running for several years now so there is some long term experience.

Nelson
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool picture. I've had to replace a couple of those back when I had my Beretta - that little stub is tough to get a grip on and pull out! At least with a distributor, there's a big metal piece to grab...
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Fierosound. I never even thought about this but now I can fix it. I wish this was the only leak I have, but both valve cover gaskets are shot, and some of the hoses connected to the intake manifold are shot. I figured that since I am retired and need a winter project, why not pull the whole thing. Now I am looking into doing a mild build if such parts are available for the 2.8. If not, I will look into replacing the 2.8 with something that has a few more horses. Any recommendations are welcome. I am quite adept at car mods. I put a 280Z engine in a 530i. It wasn't bad at all.

If you or others suggest that maybe I should just swap out the engine and drop another larger one in the cradle, please do so and supply any info/hidden problems that can help me. Thanks...
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017
Fierosound, BTW, I like the idea of the felt ring as insurance. Good idea!!!
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2021 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I'll be pulling my dist. out again to replace with better ring. lol.

One year ago, 02/2020, I replaced my dist. with a Delco reman. Came with the standard black ring. Last week, 3,200 miles later...oil leaking everywhere. Only replacement I could find was another black ring. ya, I'm not doing this again next year
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2021 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

Looks like I'll be pulling my dist. out again to replace with better ring. lol.

One year ago, 02/2020, I replaced my dist. with a Delco reman. Came with the standard black ring. Last week, 3,200 miles later...oil leaking everywhere. Only replacement I could find was another black ring. ya, I'm not doing this again next year

As noted, *also* do the paper gasket under the dizzy. Besides a little extra sealing protection, IMO it shims the dizzy against the drive.

-- A

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock