3800 swap harnesses by FIEROFLYER
Started on: 11-17-2007 09:49 AM
Replies: 194 (24490 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 09-11-2021 12:10 PM
NeoNot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan,

You might want to check out Radio Shack. They carry a little pin pull for molex connectors and various other connectors that allow you to remove the pins from a wiring harness with no effort. The nice thing about using this little tool is saving the tiny latch tabs that break so easy!!!.

If memory serves me right they are roughly $10.

By the way thanks for the write up on the harness. It may come in handy in the near future if I can decide on what motor I am going to use.
IP: Logged
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a small dental pick that works just fine for removing pins.
The C500 is the one over by the battery on 85 and up Fieros and bolted to the fire wall on the 84 models. It has three parts this is the three parts together.

loosen the nut joining the parts together with a 1/4" socket while gently pulling it apart and you get the two portions off the base.

bend back the two clips on the side and pull the portion that feeds off ot the tail lights from the other part.

Then you have just the engine portion of the C500 which is what is needed for making the swap harness. Then once the harness is done and installed onto the engine you just reassemble the C500 and C203 and the wiring portion of the swap is done other then adding in a few good grounds and connecting the battery up to the starter.

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there is any thing else I can post a picture of or questions to answer feel free to ask.
Now that the harness is complete Chris did you still want to buy it or is there some one else that would like to purchase this harness. Chris has first dibs then if he does not want it I will advertize the harness in the mall where payment will go to PFF not me. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631
www.photosled.com/showgallery/cat/1583

Misery

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiserySend a Private Message to MiseryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If Chris doesn't want it...I'm in !!!

Dan you have a PM!!
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing as I have not heard back from Chris I guess Misery the harness is yours, make a donation to PFF for $400 US and once I am contacted by PFF to let me know you have made the donation I will ship the harness along with the matching 98 GTP PCM to you. Dan
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Seeing as I have not heard back from Chris I guess Misery the harness is yours, make a donation to PFF for $400 US and once I am contacted by PFF to let me know you have made the donation I will ship the harness along with the matching 98 GTP PCM to you. Dan

If Misery passes on it then I will take it for a upcoming project. Just let me know.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well done Dan, Very Well Done.
Do you make these for the Cadillac 4.9's swaps also?
Thanks
Joe Crawford
Texas
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turns out Chris does want it so I will now start on another for Misery. Any one need one for an 84 as I have one manual tranny and one auto tranny swap harness, one from an 84 I was going to do a swap on for myself and the other from a person who changed his mind after ordering the harness. Also have one for an 85 up with the auto tranny that I made for a customer where I was confused about what he wanted and ended up building him a manual tranny harness. That is what happens when you do over 40 harnesses in just a few months you get a little confused. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631
www.photosled.com/showgallery/cat/1583

Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, Can you tell me about the 84 auto harness? What's included, how much. thanks Jeff
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84 auto harness is built for the PCM and ignition module to be mounted in the old battery location, the alternator in the stock location or low on the trunk side and has A/C wired into the harness. The harness has the C203 and C500 already on it so you just would need to install the harness on your engine and connect the C203 and C500 then run a few extra wires to your fuse panel as the 84's do not have enough sources of ignition to work with in the harness already. It is all wired for a 98 GTP PCM which I can supply with the harness, the emissions wiring is in the harness as well but you can just not connect them if yu do not want all the emissions working. I would like $400 for the harness and its matching PCM. Dan
chrisgtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry i didnt see that this was ready to go. I was looking for a pm
PFF
System Bot
dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, getting geared up to do a swap on my 88 (and probably the 87), to a 96 3.4 DOHC. I realize that the harness will obviously be different, but nonetheless, I _really_ apprecate this thread. One question, though for the master: What method do you use to lengthen a wire? Most of the 'splice' connectors that I've seen aren't something I'd like to depend on, and since you have experience in the aviation industry (where this stuff is critical), what is the BEST method to ensure a long term, durable splice?

Thanks,

Darryl
Fierostarvin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, I would like to buy the 84 auto harness send me instructions Jeff
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent. For lengthening wires I have left over wires from harnesses and a few cut up 3100 harnesses I use so I can keep the coulour and wire gauge the same when working on harnesses. For soldering I twist the wires tightly, solder being carefull not to use too much solder then use heat shrink to seal up the connection and for doing large bundles it is a good idea to stagger the connections. Also use proper 63/37 flux core solder that has non acidic flux, take your time running the wires and tape the harness up very well before applying the loom. I go through many rolls of electrical tape on each harness making sure the harness is well sealed and protected.
Unfortunatly on air craft you will quite often find butt splices being used for quick repairs as well as many other things that should not be done. In the Air Force when a harnes is damaged the usual practice is or atleast was to replace the entire harness by making up a new one and properly labeling all the wires in the harness. We had large sheets of plywood with harness routings drawn on them and posts to wrap wires around where each connector would be to make it easier to build new harnesses because you really couldn't build the harness inside the air plane or on the engine like you can with a car engine. Dan
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(+) for the great writeup!

You're right, Dan, your method isn't the quickest or easiest, but I think it's the best way to do it. If I were going to buy a harness, yours is what I'd buy - not one that's been hacked and patched.
Fierostarvin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan if the PM was to me I don't see it
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

(+) for the great writeup!

You're right, Dan, your method isn't the quickest or easiest, but I think it's the best way to do it. If I were going to buy a harness, yours is what I'd buy - not one that's been hacked and patched.

Just so you know, this wiring harness is "hacked then patched", just like anyone else's....
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if I would called it hacked or not seeing as I am not just cutting wires I am stripping the harness down completely then building it back up from scratch. But if it makes your feel better about your self then we can just call it a hack job, there feel better now.
Like I mentioned before I am not saying the way I do things is the right way or the only way, I am just showing how I prefer to do things to give people who want to build their own harness a different way that in the end gives them a nice clean job and to show that any one can do a good job if they just take their time. Dan
Fierostarvin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Misery

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiserySend a Private Message to MiseryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Just so you know, this wiring harness is "hacked then patched", just like anyone else's....

Scott, thanks for hijacking a very professional and informative thread and showing the folks here that you were unable to retain the the manners and respect that I am sure your parents taught you as child..

It is best to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are mentally challenged than to open it and remove all doubt..
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Misery:
Scott, thanks for hijacking a very professional and informative thread and showing the folks here that you were unable to retain the the manners and respect that I am sure your parents taught you as child..

It is best to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are mentally challenged than to open it and remove all doubt..

who are you now? hmm? A "loyde nut swinger"?

I didnt hijack anything, this is a PUBLIC FORUM, if you dont think my post was accurate, you can not read it or rebuttal it.
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Misery:

5 posts and you are already calling people out?

Sheesh
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again, the post above shows you have people who would rather do things 1/2 **ssed than doing it right the first time.
I think Fieroflyer is doing the 3800 swap crowd a good service even providing the info for redoing a wiring harness. He makes them and sells them and at a good price, but to show people how he does it when he could just say "pay me and I will do it" I think is helpful.
I have read and seen in the past where some of these swaps create problems for the person doing them and I think some of it come down to trying to do it on a limited budget.
Just as Loyde states on his site, "the wiring harness is one of the make or break" parts of the swap.
If you are going to do a swap why not go through as much as you can including wiring, engine internals, brackets for the alternator, etc.
When it comes down to it, the 3800SC should be just as dependable sitting in a Fiero as it is sitting in a Grand Prix or whatever car ir came from.
I am not good with wiring and I can`t weld, so when it comes time to do my swap I will depend on the people who have a proven product to make my swap as dependable as possible.
Just my .02
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There wasn't any talk of half-a$$edness, just that it doesn't have to be pretty to work properly.

This is the harness from the 3.8sc car skitime first rode in:

That looks like he did what I did my first time. Leave it how it is and just modify some stuff to get it to work. Nothing pretty or fancy

Now here is skitimes:

See what I'm getting at?

But, I think we all agree that it is worth the extra effort to make it look nice. IF that matters to you, because it doesn't to some. Just look at Scott's whole car and you'll know what I'm talking about lol

Thanks Dan for the write-up
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My post wasn`t really directed at you, and I don`t mean a showcar harness, I just feel that if everything you put into a car is not checked out ie. harnesses, engine internals, bracket integrity etc
that you are asking for trouble and I for one would rather do it once.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiring is not taboo, it is seriously 30 or less connections you have to make, and MORE THAN half of them are just making pink wires go to switched 12 volts. A harness is NOT make or break, its make or your to stupid to connect a few wires using, OMG like tools. Someone trying to SELL harnesses might suggest they are "make or break" but it really isnt, he is just trying to trick people into paying $1000 for a few hours of wrapping electrical tape around some wires after connecting them to very well documented places (3.4dohc and my thread has been around for more than a year, see comment).

Ryan has had full pinout lists on his gmtuners.com site for MANY years now, and has also been an authority on wiring advice for much longer than I have.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

My post wasn`t really directed at you, and I don`t mean a showcar harness, I just feel that if everything you put into a car is not checked out ie. harnesses, engine internals, bracket integrity etc
that you are asking for trouble and I for one would rather do it once.

HARNESS INTEGRITY? How is a stock GM harness with NO SPLICES routed in the stock locations going to fail more than a harness that has more splices and routing wires in "experimental" locations? i said before that I have helped more people with failed vendor harnesses than custom made ones, and I know more people with custom "hacked" harnesses.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not pay 1000.00 for a wiring harness but I would pay 400.00 for one.
I don`t know Darkhorizon who has recently pissed in your Cheerios and I thought in the
past that you had a lot of good ideas etc. but recently I have seen a couple of threads where you
posted sarcastically where you don`t see why anyone would do something a certain way when in your opinion it`s not necessary.
I might have a difference of opinion on different things and I might put my two cents in, but I certainly don`t make it sound like if someone else decides to follow the threads advice that he is just wasting his time.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again darkhorizon shows that everyone must do things his way or he will whine and complain about how stupid they are.

Dan provides a quality service to the people who want to swap a 3800SC into their car. Others such as Purple Reign offer engine mounts. You don't have to agree with how they do it. If you want to do it yourself, more power to you, but stop acting like your way is the only correct way.

You complain about Archie
You complain about Lloyd
You complain about Dan

Dude - just start your own forum where everything is done your own way and STFU here. I, for one, enjoy these technical posts and appreciate the extra time and effort it takes to post them and don't appreciate people like you sending it to the Trash Can.

If you want to show people how you think it should be done - post your own build threads and dazzle us with your craftsmanship.
oldfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, can you give us more info on the Speedo buffer and where you placed it in the wireharness? I just starting my swap and found your thread very informative. Tkx Tom

------------------
Old Fieros never die, they go faster!

LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, I just thought I'd pop in here and let you know that I'm very pleased with the work you did on my harness. For less than $400, you saved me a lot of time and that's definately worth it to me.

The way I look at it, there's two ways to do the wire harness on the 3800 swaps, 1. for show 2. for the driver. Dan gives you a very well done harness that looks factory stock which was perfect for my situation because I'll drive the car every day. I don't spend endless hours detailing my engine bay for a show car, so hiding the wires doesn't make any diff to me.

Once again, thanks Dan for providing the Fiero community an excellent service.
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would like to thenk the people for their kind words, it is good to see there is a lot more good people on here then bad.
The speedo buffer is easy to make, I instal it in the harness near the C203 when making harnesses for sale and right at the speedo when I am doing the full swap on a car.
I can not take credit for the circuit I got the diagram from Fieroaddiction long ago when he still had the diagram up on his website. Seeing as he no longer has the diagram on his website I don't feel that I have the right to post it, I will contact him for his permission then post it if it is ok with him. Dan
oldfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, the more info I get the better my swap will be. I'm sure that it's just an RC intergrator, but better to know what already works verses recreating the wheel.

Tkx,

Tom

------------------
Old Fieros never die, they go faster!

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
please quote me where I said dans harness were bad.
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

There you go!

And just to let you know, GM factory harnesses have spices in them too.

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 11-30-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry, thats just wrong, try again.
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, I don't think so! This is how everyone else sees it.

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 11-30-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL "sees it" eh?
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have watch Darkwhorizan steal allot of threads in this manner and it is wrong. The best way to make it easier to deal with him and ignore him is to think of this picture below everytime he post his nonsense.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least he doesn't post dumb sh*t like that.

You are just as bad, if not worse. Every post I have ever read from you is nothing but bull. At least Scott is giving some advice, however opinionated it might be. He has helped ALOT of people, no matter how he can be sometimes.

That is offensive to more than just him dumba$$. There is nothing funny about mental disabilities or people pretending to be disabled dude

GROW UP

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 11-30-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay