Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics. (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics. by fierohoho
Started on: 02-11-2004 03:17 PM
Replies: 488 (81909 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 02-07-2020 07:19 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, 12" springs are what you want.

Also, a note about front coil overs. You can do it, but there's a problem. On the front, the spring is contained by the A-Arms. With a coil-over setup, the spring is contained by the shock/spring setup. That means the shock absorber mount now has all of the stress of both the shock AND the spring - with all the weight of the car being suppoted on the shock mount.

The Fiero control arms were designed for the loads to be distributed this way. According to Held Motorsports, the front control arms are too weak to be used with coil-overs, and I tend to agree. If you want to do front coil-overs, you need to use tubular control arms designed for coil-overs.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-06-2005).]

IP: Logged
cheetah

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the difference if one has a 7-8" spring on the perch or a 12" without the perch if the spring rate is the same?

I can see that maybe the longer one allows the rear of the car to lift more on a bump, but it will compress down to the same amount, correct?

I have 7" 300# Eibachs on mine, and I am going to sell them. A little hard with my huge rear sway bar. I am looking at a 225#, and may cut the perch and go with longer replacements.

How low does the 12" allow? I might need to go to a 10" since my car is pretty low:

http://www.cheetahonline.com/camarodash.html

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, what spring rates are everyone else using?

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason for the longer spring is so the body doesn't leave the spring.
THE BEAST

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cheetah:

Also, what spring rates are everyone else using?

The rates are pretty much about 300 Lbs

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

The reason for the longer spring is so the body doesn't leave the spring.

actually its to allow more suspension travel before coilbind

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the longer spring compress less with the same weight, since the weight is divided among more coils? The distance between coils is the same with long and short springs, correct?

Either way, I am selling my 300# Eibachs. Too stiff with the rest of my suspension mods. They only have about 200 miles on them.

http://www.cheetahonline.com/coilover.jpg

Shows how they look before installation. I fabricated a boot also, to keep the struts clean.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cheetah:

Does the longer spring compress less with the same weight, since the weight is divided among more coils? The distance between coils is the same with long and short springs, correct?

Either way, I am selling my 300# Eibachs. Too stiff with the rest of my suspension mods. They only have about 200 miles on them.

http://www.cheetahonline.com/coilover.jpg

Shows how they look before installation. I fabricated a boot also, to keep the struts clean.

spring rate is measured by the weight it takes to compress a specified distance - with two coils of the same spring rate but different length - one can take more compression before coil bind than the other, its a problem people were running into withthe really short springs and why they upgraded to 10 or 12 " coils... with the same spring rate the ride height is determined by the position of the spring perch

cheetah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to have to measure when I get home, to see if I need a 10 or 12". My car is very low, and I do not know if the 12's will allow this ride height.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with the 12"s and the right length threaded sleeve - the sleeve sits all the way down by the knuckle - the stock spring perch has to be completely removed.
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shameless Bump!
PFF
System Bot
flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

Shameless Bump!

not so shameless... im getting more ideas for winter projects... not that i have a shortage tho, lol.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30,Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.9@99mph as it is on the street

355/380hp sbc, 4 bolt main
spec stage 3, and many other extras, lol.
still need to find the right fiero for this engine.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think a 400lb spring would be too stiff for a car with
a 3800sc and a 4t65hd in it
thanks
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northeastfiero:
Do you think a 400lb spring would be too stiff for a car with
a 3800sc and a 4t65hd in it

I think "too stiff" is one of those "butt of the beholder" things. I have 400lb's in the back of mine. It's decidedly firm. Too stiff? Well... sometimes I think so... sometimes it's nice.

I'm thinking of going to something softer though.

Oh - V6, turbo, 5spd. So not so heavy. Yet a bit more than stock.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most guys are using 300lbs. springs and a few are using 350lbs. its all in how you want the car to feel, a "solid sports car feel" go with 350 or a smooth ride go with 300lbs.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
NEW e-mail address 219customs@sbcglobal.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

I think "too stiff" is one of those "butt of the beholder" things. I have 400lb's in the back of mine. It's decidedly firm. Too stiff? Well... sometimes I think so... sometimes it's nice.

I'm thinking of going to something softer though.

Oh - V6, turbo, 5spd. So not so heavy. Yet a bit more than stock.

Too stiff can also be determined by the dampening characteristics of your struts.

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped mine's mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs.

Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know much about this stuff but im interested in doing this. I have a 87 gt auto that i would also like to get the rear bumpsteer correction kit from held motorsports. Would these two mods be compatable which each other?
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2006 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michaell Knight:

I dont know much about this stuff but im interested in doing this. I have a 87 gt auto that i would also like to get the rear bumpsteer correction kit from held motorsports. Would these two mods be compatable which each other?

Can you post a link to the Bumpsteer kit so I could look at it to see if it's compatable?

Matts85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matts85GTSend a Private Message to Matts85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the struts from any of the FWD cars work as well, especially with the removal of the spring perch?

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero GT Project
3.1L with 3100 intake/heads
4spd manual

fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2006 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed the question Matts85GT.

I don't see why the swap wouldn't work as long as the strut tube is the same diameter as the Fieros.

fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have koni struts that came on the car. I ground away the spring perch and installed HELD coilover treaded collor and strut relocation addapter. The addapter is necesarry because I have an 88 cradle on my 86. My Springs are 12 inch 2.5 ID GroundControl Eibach 325 Lbs. The Coilovers is adjusted to a slightly lowered height from stock. I want to lower it further but I already have ran out of travel as it is . Driving overv a medium sized bump the top of the strutbody smacks into the spring retainer ring that is wended to the botom of the strut relocation addapters from Held Motorsport. The impact is jarring to say the least.

I wonder whether buying a new set of Koni Special (red) struts will solve the problem. Perhaps my perticular Konis are different (longer strut body) as they are older and not extrernaly adjustable as the new omes (8741-1063)

Is there anybody who has Konis that would be willing to measure the length of their Koni strut body? Maybe one of us is in the process of rebuilding has their struts off the car will take a tape measure to it hopefull . Please also mention if they can be adjusted while on the car and how old they are. Thanks in advance!

Also is anybody with konis struts and held addapters finding that the koni strut body is wider at the top causing it to not fit inside the upper spring perch of the held adapters. How is your ride?

Last but not least, I was looking at the koni .pdf files you can download from their site and noticed they offer a "Cut Your strut"
cartrages they offer. You are supposed to hacksaw your old strut body to the desired length and drill a hole in the bottom of the strut. Then you incert the Koni cartrage and secure with a ring and nut at the bottom of your old strut. You can buy the cartages with the stroke and damping range you specify. You can even have bump adjustment aswel as the more standard rebound adjustment. Has anybody done this or heard of anybody that has?

Thanks
Iwan

edited to add: that I posted this message as a new topic after I typed here, hopefully it will be noticed easier than when part of this 6 pager

[This message has been edited by fiero-iwan (edited 04-30-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
slade1274

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slade1274Send a Private Message to slade1274Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, What are you guys using to ballance out the ride height in the front? I assume most of you will lower the rears a bit with the coil overs, but all the searching I did found only full sets of four lowering springs.... can you just by the fronts anywhere?
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2006 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of guys are pulling the front spring and cutting it down to lower the front, should be a few threads on it around the Tech archives.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
kamikaze7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kamikaze7Send a Private Message to kamikaze7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TG oreiF 8891:

Now I've seen everything from 175 to 400 lb/in springs for the rear.
Let me post this as a question. I drive my 88 GT alot around town, and on short trips up to 2 hours on the highway because like all of us, I love driving my fun little car. I do not race or take it to the drag strip, although I'd like to take it on a course some day. It has the stock 2.8 V6. What spring rate do yall suggest for coilover springs put over KYB struts?

As a second question, what spring rate would I want if I swapped the engine with the 3800 SC all else remaining equal?

Thanks in advance for the input, and +'s for good advice.

I'm considering this for my 88GT. Can someone please recommend a suggested spring rate for the 88GT rear?

Thanks.

fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 325Lbs 12inch springs from groundcontrol. I chose these a little stiff for my upcomming L67 Swap.
Stiff ride with the 2.8 but not too stiff in my oppinion. That is untill my shocks bottom out, Jarring to say the least, but that is due to having the wrong shocks for the car. Al the springperch cutting for nothing,

oh well.... Anybody out there who has new Koni struts for their car willing to measure the strutbody length for me?
The strutbody I have now is 35cm long which leaves about 1 inch of travel before bottoming , on my lowered fiero.
I really need to make sure new koni's are short enough! Asking info on the koni's via a koni dealer but the communication is SLOOOOW...

Thanks
Iwan
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so nobody was able to tel me the length of the koni strut body. Not even my dealer who supplies konis was able to get me a measurement. I finally bit the bullit and ordered a new set of koni red struts. They measured 33,5 cm in length. 1,5cm shorter than my old konis. Hopefully this wil be enough extra travel.
Pitty though the konis do not come supplied with bump rubbers.....

Maybe this will be of some use to somebody else wondering about the same thing...

Iwan
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just wondering if anyone has gotten any coilovers through ebay... there is a person selling rear coilover "kits" just got mine for $41

(not the ACTUAL auction i won, i just got mine like 2 minutees ago... but here a link to the "kits")
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=8076657498

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 06-30-2006).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

just wondering if anyone has gotten any coilovers through ebay... there is a person selling rear coilover "kits" just got mine for $41

(not the ACTUAL auction i won, i just got mine like 2 minutees ago... but here a link to the "kits")

Thanks for the tip....A+

MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would installing aftermarket springs in the front work for evening the height compared to the back, or could you install coilovers in the front without having to buy tubular control arms?
PFF
System Bot
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MclarenF1:

Would installing aftermarket springs in the front work for evening the height compared to the back, or could you install coilovers in the front without having to buy tubular control arms?

You can't do coil overs in the front without tubular control arms or some serious modifications. All the front requires to lower it though is shorter springs, and/or drop spindles.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=8076657498

SLOWnSTEADY: How did these work out for you? I had emailed the guy several times, but I didn't like the answers I was getting back so I stayed away from them.

Bob
Custom84cp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom84cpSend a Private Message to Custom84cpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

SLOWnSTEADY: How did these work out for you? I had emailed the guy several times, but I didn't like the answers I was getting back so I stayed away from them.

Bob

Same here, I did not like there answers either, I asked for pic's to get a better idea of what they had and got no reply.
i'll spend my $ somewhere else.
Thanks.. Steve
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to stay alive.
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2006 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beat Beat..... Beat beat...... Beat beat...... beat beat......... BEAT BEAT.........

Alive and well.

Hey everyone! I was here Again!!

-Paul
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from what i gathered reading over this thread twice is that the best set-up seems to be 2.04 diameter 7 inch sleeves with a 2 5/8 diameter 12 inch spring. Is this correct? After reviewing some websites for parts i cant seem to find one that sells just the sleeves and the part the spring actually sits on, they all seem to have the full kit with the hat and everything for $50+.

------------------

Fiero- mild 2.9 160hp
Caprice- wild 383 500hp
--Adam-- ASE Certified Technician
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

from what i gathered reading over this thread twice is that the best set-up seems to be 2.04 diameter 7 inch sleeves with a 2 5/8 diameter 12 inch spring. Is this correct? After reviewing some websites for parts i cant seem to find one that sells just the sleeves and the part the spring actually sits on, they all seem to have the full kit with the hat and everything for $50+.

A1 Racing (www.a1racing.com) will sell you several different diameters and lengths of sleeves. All but the perches marked for corvettes come with plastic tipped set screws to keep the perches in place (don't ask how I know ) and the guy on the phone was very helpful. I got the 2.08 inch diameter sleeves hoping that it would be easier to get over Koni's if / when I buy them some day - but I really don't think it will. For now, they slipped right over my KYB struts and I used some rubber orings to take up the slack - we'll see how it works.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Cleveland Fiero Club

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
NEW e-mail address 219customs@sbcglobal.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock