Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  Tips for a fresh college grad on the prowl for work? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tips for a fresh college grad on the prowl for work? by nitroheadz28
Started on: 07-25-2013 09:24 PM
Replies: 121 (2290 views)
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 08-07-2013 01:30 PM
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well now that I've taken a nice break since graduating with my bachelors in mechanical engineering back in may, its time to start looking for some income. I've been keeping my eyes open/ sent out a few resumes for a little while now and the market is a little weak (especially for entry level positions) around here despite the manufacturing industry being pretty expansive further away from the NYC area aka Long Island.

So, any tips? I typically poke around all the normal sites, craigslist and all the other crap that comes up on google. I wish I could've done an internship while in school but my schedule prevented that, I'm about to resort to calling random companies asking if I can get something along those lines

I was on good terms with a couple professors from school, commended on my performance/ work ethic regularly and told I wouldn't have any issue scoring a job. I knew that was full of crap but I suppose its even worse off than I thought despite my profession being in demand.

Maybe just pull a PK and move somewhere where there are openings- then try to join the military?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know any Mechanical grads that didn't get some work within 6 months. Ask your professors to send your resume to some friends in the business if they can, or to recommend places to look. I do know one person who did an internship after graduating because he couldn't find full time but he started right after graduation and it developed into a full time position. Your school probably still provides career searching resources for alumni; look into that.

It's a bit late, but you really should have opened up that schedule. With no internship, you have a rough road ahead of you. PM me your e-mail if you want to send me a resume and see if I can send it to a few friends. I don't know a ton of Mechanicals but hey, you never know.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked my profs to keep me in mind for any potential opportunities and followed up with them a month later and nothing, so I just stopped bothering with them. My school really sucks, but I suppose its worth looking into. By opening up that schedule, you mean getting started on the job/ internship hunt before/ right after graduating right? In that case, I'm not in a rush to find work , 2 years of 21-23 credits on top of a whole load of other crap wore me out good, I needed some time off.

I'll shoot you a PM, I appreciate it.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be willing to relocate. You want to go where the good jobs are. If that means North Dakota, then move to North Dakota. If you are tied to an area, then your destiny is no longer in your hands, it is tied to how well that area does.
jmclemore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmclemoreSend a Private Message to jmclemoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

So, any tips? I typically poke around all the normal sites, craigslist and all the other crap that comes up on google. I wish I could've done an internship while in school but my schedule prevented that, I'm about to resort to calling random companies asking if I can get something along those lines

I had a friend "no degree" and a lousy laborer who decided he was too lazy to do
manual labor too under qualified to do anything else. He took a night job for
about 10 bucks an hour and found a small mom and pops store where he volunteered.

we all thought he was an idiot but after 6 months he quit the night job and the store
for a job as an assistance manager at a grocery store. 6month later he's the manager
of a small meat packaging company and 1 year later he gets hired at local factory
as a department manager... I would have thought it was just dumb luck but having known
him, then and now, it's clear he knew how to manufacture a resume and how to produce
an effective result. The fact he was a skilled Bullsh*ter who can make friend with a rabid dog
didn't hurt either.

It might not be much help but hell if a high school graduate can find a career path to
a job the always read "Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Business Management
and 5 years experience" I figure someone with a degree should have a shot......

[This message has been edited by jmclemore (edited 07-26-2013).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can possibly escape New York, I recommend doing so.
I would definitely meet with some of your teachers and your school's employment office.
What type of job do you want? What type of company?
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't your school have a career center? They usually keep employers on file that are looking for graduates. They also would have a description about what positions they are trying to fill. At least that is how they did it in New York back in the 80s when I graduated.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make contact with everybody in school that might know your name and contact them on Linked In. Make it perfectly clear that you are looking for work and your willingness to relocate, intern or any other options that are out there. Any positions that you find, setup email alerts for keywords that interest you or a possible employer on that site.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
.. flip the burgers AWAY from you so you don't get splattered by the grease!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, you will be very lucky to find any job in your field (although you did pick a good one) that dont start you at fed minimum wage, if any at all. First thing Id do is head to a bankruptcy lawyer to get out of that student loan youd be paying on for 30 years.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

First, you will be very lucky to find any job in your field (although you did pick a good one) that dont start you at fed minimum wage, if any at all. First thing Id do is head to a bankruptcy lawyer to get out of that student loan youd be paying on for 30 years.

I didn't think you could file bankruptcy on student loan debt.

So many older guys on this forum are down on getting an education. Really an odd sentiment that is commonly shared here.

You really should have altered your schedule to get an internship. Also your school should have resources to help you find a job. Maybe continue that degree and while you are only going a few hours find an internship that way? I'd suggest just taking any job. A whole hell of a lot easier to get a job when you already have one. Just like finding a new girlfriend. Girls like guys that are worthy of another's attention.
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Heh you've really got that old timer attitude don't you?

FYI I have zero debt, thats cause you guys paid for me to go to school . Aaaaaand no, I haven't ever heard of any engineer starting anywhere near minimum wage. Even most internships are paid and start at $15/ hour or so. I didn't bust my ass for 4 years so I could be stuck in the same spot as idiots who majored in history or psychology because they were interesting subjects.

LS3, it wasn't possible unless I'd lighten my load and do an extra year of school- which I absolutely refused to do because I'd have to pay out of pocket (not to mention the wasted 8 months of my life). I'm very open about any employment opportunity as long as its somewhere in my field, I don't care about pay. Cause like you said, getting a job is much easier when you already have one. I will have to check with my school. Thanks

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 07-26-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nitroheadz28

4774 posts
Member since Mar 2010
As far as LinkedIn, didn't I read somewhere that you can't ever delete your information from it? Once you make a profile you'll always have to have one? That kinds of turns me off from it if that is true..
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I don't know any Mechanical grads that didn't get some work within 6 months. Ask your professors to send your resume to some friends in the business if they can, or to recommend places to look. I do know one person who did an internship after graduating because he couldn't find full time but he started right after graduation and it developed into a full time position. Your school probably still provides career searching resources for alumni; look into that.

It's a bit late, but you really should have opened up that schedule. With no internship, you have a rough road ahead of you. PM me your e-mail if you want to send me a resume and see if I can send it to a few friends. I don't know a ton of Mechanicals but hey, you never know.

Remember the time we went dirt biking and filled my camelpack up with beer?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bend over stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass good by.

unless it was paid for by a company you already work for you are pretty much screwed, now pay off your college costs while working for less than I made when I was working as a welder.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

unless it was paid for by a company you already work for you are pretty much screwed, now pay off your college costs while working for less than I made when I was working as a welder.

Steve

I have some respect for you, but your post just screams ignorant fool.

Edit- Looks like I don't, already had you negged

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have some respect for you, but your post just screams ignorant fool.

Edit- Looks like I don't, already had you negged

Oh well I am already on the down side.
Just my honest opinion of a recent college graduates chances in todays economy, they are not in very good shape, don't like the truth, don't ask my opinion/.
Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-26-2013).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steve

Aren't you now ailing and down in your back?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:
Aren't you now ailing and down in your back?

From over 30 year of working more hours than you ever will, got a problem with that?

and its my back that has 6 herniated discs as well as one disc fusion between C6 and C7 from a motorcycle accident now whats your problem with that or do you have a problem with the fact that I had a stroke?

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-26-2013).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From over 30 year of working more hours than you ever will, got a problem with that?

and its my back that has 6 herniated discs as well as one disc fusion between C6 and C7 from a motorcycle accident now whats your problem with that or do you have a problem with the fact that I had a stroke?

Steve

Why would I have a problem with you having to work more hours than me. I was simply suggesting that manual labor took its toll on you.

Do you need some cranberry juice?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Why would I have a problem with you having to work more hours than me. I was simply suggesting that manual labor took its toll on you.

Do you need some cranberry juice?

No thanks, just had my beer for the night. sounded like you had a problem with me, that's all. its late and I don't need any more crap from you or anyone else.

Steve

------------------

PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh well I am already on the down side.
Just my honest opinion of a recent college graduates chances in todays economy, they are not in very good shape, don't like the truth, don't ask my opinion/.
Steve

No one asked for your opinion, you provided nothing of value to add to the discussion. I hope your beer helps relieve the sensation of whatever you have stuck up your ass.

NJD85GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NJD85GTSend a Private Message to NJD85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just keep sending out those résumés to every job opening you see and asking anyone you know that may be able to help you find a job. I graduated with a bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering a year ago, and I also had no internship. While going to school I worked full time doing structural engineering and drafting, which wasn't at all close to the positions that I was applying for. It took 7 months and 300 applications before I finally got an interview, luckily I got a job offer from that one interview for 40% more than I was expecting.

------------------
1985 GT | 4.9 Allante | M17/MY8 Hybrid 4-Spd Muncie | '88 GT Cradle Swap

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check with your college's career center. When I was in college they had career fairs every year with employers coming to campus specifically looking for new graduates. That's your best bet.
Only advice I can offer is don't be afraid to take a pay level below what you think you deserve. Until you get your PE, you're just another dude with a sheepskin and no experience. Get a year or two under your belt before you start worrying too much about competitive salary.

What's your preferred area of expertise?

Oh, and LinkedIn is pretty much required. It's a great networking tool. The "friend" feature works similar to Facebook, so you can expand your contacts through people you know to their friends, etc.

Have you taken your EIT yet?

http://www.usajobs.gov/
Civilian government jobs, DoD, Dept. of Transportation, NASA, etc. all post here. Also some civilian jobs with the military as well.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-26-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No one asked for your opinion, you provided nothing of value to add to the discussion. I hope your beer helps relieve the sensation of whatever you have stuck up your ass.

And you're a total Dick for someone who got his schooling paid for by guys like me and Roger, keep up with the ass hole attitude and you may not be around here much longer.

Steve

------------------

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NJD8- 300 applications? Holy crap haha, I have to hand it to you- you're one persistent guy . The issue I'm having (hence this thread) is I'm finding a hard time finding anything relevant to my field and level that I can possibly apply to.

Formula- Will do, yes like I mentioned previously I really don't care about pay. Getting my foot in the door is the hardest battle, thats all I care about. I want to get into something automotive or aerospace related, I definitely don't like HVAC and related work like that. I've never heard of EIT, when I looked it up it seems its basically your FE? I plan on taking that in a few months. Thanks for the link

My plan was always to get my degree, and get into OCS for the Navy in hopes of eventually getting through flight school. For the last few years though, I've strayed away from that dream because of whats been going on in Washington. Who knows maybe I'll have a change of heart, everything else is in place to go if I can put my doubts to rest with that path.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nitroheadz28

4774 posts
Member since Mar 2010

And you're a total Dick for someone who got his schooling paid for by guys like me and Roger, keep up with the ass hole attitude and you may not be around here much longer.

Steve

Sorry bud, but take a look at both of our ratings bars

What exactly is it in my attitude that constitutes me being an @$$hole and a d!ck according to you? You came into this thread with the predisposition that I was a know nothing college educated in debt kid who has nothing going for him because he didn't pick a "real" job or trade.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste, and the sad part is that you come off as the type of person who has lived their entire life and never used yours.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If BOTH of you 2 azzholes want to start bitchin about ratings, just see how fast I can unfriend ya on crap-book !!! <and I dont even use crap-book, so THERE, ya have already been un-friended !!....dont EVEN start on the MySpace or Liked-In that I dont use either !!!

Nitro, shut up and go get a job as a gigallo servicing supermodels...Ya mght not make it to a professional level, bu I GUARANTEE the training will be fun.....

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 07-26-2013).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula- Will do, yes like I mentioned previously I really don't care about pay. Getting my foot in the door is the hardest battle, thats all I care about. I want to get into something automotive or aerospace related, I definitely don't like HVAC and related work like that. I've never heard of EIT, when I looked it up it seems its basically your FE? I plan on taking that in a few months. Thanks for the link

The EIT (Engineer In Training) is what you get when you pass your FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam. (I think EIT is an older term - they use EI (Engineering Intern) more now? It's been a while since college.)
Gotta get that so you can start working towards your PE. That's when the real opportunities start to open up.

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Nitro, shut up and go get a job as a gigallo servicing supermodels...Ya mght not make it to a professional level, bu I GUARANTEE the training will be fun.....

I've already "serviced" one fashion model, and I became not only a gigolo but a psychologist in the process to help with all the daddy issues . I always did hate being a cm shorter than her

Formula- Thanks for all the clarification. Surprisingly a lot of employers around here dont really seem to care about having a PE, but its good to have for sure.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry bud, but take a look at both of our ratings bars

What exactly is it in my attitude that constitutes me being an @$$hole and a d!ck according to you? You came into this thread with the predisposition that I was a know nothing college educated in debt kid who has nothing going for him because he didn't pick a "real" job or trade.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste, and the sad part is that you come off as the type of person who has lived their entire life and never used yours.

let me guess another 20 something year old college boy?

Good for you, I was repair at GM before you were born, skill enough for you, or how about almost 20 years as a heavy industrial WELDER, building paper mills and oil rigs when you were in diapers, that a trade enough for you. something tells me you are going to be one of those engineers I have run into before who designed things that ,
Worked on paper
or the
but the computer said it would work.

but they never work in the real world and people like me, the tradesmen who have to build these things get all sorts of overtime because we have to fix what you screwed up, been there done that, now go back to your crayon pack and just keep coloring.

And good luck finding a job in this economy.

Steve

------------------

PFF
System Bot
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good for you, I was repair at GM before you were born, skill enough for you, or how about almost 20 years as a heavy industrial WELDER, building paper mills and oil rigs when you were in diapers, that a trade enough for you. something tells me you are going to be one of those engineers I have run into before who designed things that ,
Worked on paper
or the

but they never work in the real world and people like me, the tradesmen who have to build these things get all sorts of overtime because we have to fix what you screwed up, been there done that, now go back to your crayon pack and just keep coloring.

And good luck finding a job in this economy

Steve

You really have a problem with anyone who has a education don't you. Just so you know I'm older than you, I'm sure I have worked as hard or harder than you for 30 years as a union tire builder, and probialy burnt my mind more than you butt......You sure are a bitter old man.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Worked on paper
or the

And good luck finding a job in this economy.

Steve

Cool story bro. Tell us some more how much you enjoy your life

Its insane not only how much of a bumbling idiot you come off as, but how much you assume about me just cause of my potential age and education. So let me tell you something, I'm not the kind of person you are painting out to be and I have worked in the "real" world in construction a number of years, in fact I grew up around it with a bitter close minded father who is a lot like you. Except even in your monkey like ways, you somehow manage to use a computer- kudos! . Its nice knowing that you don't take your work home with you and let it affect your personal life and mindset, OH WAIT

So stop mudding up this thread before I pm Cliff and ask him to do something about it. K? Thanks

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool story bro. Tell us some more how much you enjoy your life

Its insane not only how much of a bumbling idiot you come off as, but how much you assume about me just cause of my potential age and education. So let me tell you something, I'm not the kind of person you are painting out to be and I have worked in the "real" world in construction a number of years, in fact I grew up around it with a bitter close minded father who is a lot like you. Except even in your monkey like ways, you somehow manage to use a computer- kudos! . Its nice knowing that you don't take your work home with you and let it affect your personal life and mindset, OH WAIT

So stop mudding up this thread before I pm Cliff and ask him to do something about it. K? Thanks

Please do tell me about those many years of experience, please I would love to hear how and just what you did for whoever you worked for. oh and please do act like the little boy that you are and pm daddy to make the bad man go away. shows just how child like you are.

as well as shows just how good an engineer you will be, as I said I have heard it all before and had to fix it because when told by someone, on the line or in the field that what your design doesn't work you will just use one of the afore mentioned lines. I have worked with your kind before, all pumped up and full of ego because they are more educated than those they are telling what to do. but invariably they don't learn or they aren't very good engineers. listen to those on the shop floor or hanging from the rafters who have to make what you design work. Or you will be doomed to make mistakes every day for the rest of your life.

I am sure you will do real well in the world of engineering because you went to school and got a degree, but if you don't keep learning every day and listen to those who have been doing it for decades you won't do well at all, matter of fact you will just prove what I have said and be just the arrogant young man you think you are and that right there is not going to help you in your job search now is it.

you like my stories huh, well they are not just stories they are things that really happened to me when i was working on the line at GM as repair as well as in construction as a welder/fabricator/ironworker.

now please do tell me all about your real work experiences, I would love to hear about them, I just might even be able to help you find a job, but with your attitude right know I don't see why I should, tell me just what have you done out here in the real world that would make me understand just how smart and experienced you are.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-27-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what, I won't nag Cliff about anything because I know he hates it when he has to see grown men on here (lol) behave in the way you are. So type your little heart out and keep trolling, I wont be reading your crap. You will never see differently no matter what anyone may say or do to prove otherwise.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the (not so) wonderful world of unemployment! I'll be your host, Ben Dere!

First thing: Ignore 84fiero123. He's an ignorant old man who's proud of his own stupidity. He's ex UAW, so he's probably only done 5 honest years of work in a 30ish years horrendously overpaid career. You'd be amazed at the difference between a UAW plant like the Rouge and a Toyota plant like TMMK, where people actually work. He's been completely brainwashed by Union leadership and believes anyone with any education is an idiot. Intelligent, huh? Age does not equal wisdom. There are plenty of old fools out there, and he's the perfect example. I just ignore him and uhlanistan because they're worthless wastes of skin, and not worth wasting time on.

Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. From there, just work hard and keep asking for more work. Once you get 2-3 years in somewhere, you can go anywhere!

1) It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know. If you were on good terms with your professors, they can give you job leads, AND will usually be happy to be a professional reference. After you get a job, be sure to call them and tell them, and thank them for allowing you to use them as a reference. They love hearing the good news, and appreciation.

2) Rejection is a daily occurrence. In the process of getting my current job (automotive wiring harness engineer), I was rejected ~1000 times, and had about 15 interviews, several with the same company that eventually hired me. Even a bad interview is good practice! Always overdress for the interview, it shows you care about getting the job. I usually didn't get hired after interviews because they also interviewed someone with more experience.

3) RESUME: Spend time between jobs building your resume. You said you're going to take the FE exam, great! That thing is a PITA, be sure to study and get an approved calculator. Get a copy of the Supplied Reference Handbook, and know where everything is in it, you'll use it over and over again in the exam to look up formulas, tables, etc. Passing that shows you can do a variety of engineering work, and care about advancing your career. Add some credentials that support what you're trying to get into. Since I was going for automotive, I got a mechanic's license in all categories (required to work on cars in Michigan) to show my mechanical aptitude and experience working on cars. Also worked a shitty job at an auto parts store making a little above minimum wage, so I could learn more about cars, help people fix their cars, and get my ASE certification. Also took and passed 7 of the 8 ASE tests, even though I couldn't get the certification without two years experience, just to show the competence. Computer skills? CompTIA certification, or Microsoft certs show you can use a computer. I got CompTIA A+ and Network+, and would have gotten more if I were still underemployed and they weren't so expensive. If you like, I can send you a copy of mine to use as a template. People in HR departments always said it was a great resume.

4) Dream jobs: Even though you may want to work at X, you should still try to get in to Y, Z, etc. Take any job you can get in this economy. As you look at job listings, you'll see the key is EXPERIENCE. they always want 2+ years. If you can get 2 years somewhere, ANYWHERE, you'll be in a much better position to go after the dream job in a few years. APPLY TO EVERY JOB YOU CAN DO. If you find in the interview the job isn't doable, you can at least get the interview practice. I never had the problem of too many interviews conflicting with one another. Closest I ever had them scheduled was about 20 hours and 200 miles apart, very doable.

Getting the first job is the hardest thing you'll have to do! Good luck and keep trying!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula- Thanks for all the clarification. Surprisingly a lot of employers around here dont really seem to care about having a PE, but its good to have for sure.

That's because entry-level positions don't need a PE. PE's are expensive. They'll have a handful on staff and the other engineers work under them.
Get the PE and your name can go on the blueprints and other engineers will work for you.

You don't need it to get started, but keep an eye on your future.

And ignore Steve. He makes no bones about the fact that he hates engineers. In his experience engineers are over-educated idiots who don't know how to make something work in the real world. You're not going to change his mind and anything you say will be viewed through that perspective.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

you like my stories huh, well they are not just stories they are things that really happened to me when i was working on the line at GM as repair as well as in construction as a welder/fabricator/ironworker.

Maybe the lesson here, Steve, isn't that all engineers are stupid - but that GM engineers are stupid? You worked there how long ago? We've all certainly had enough moments working on our cars when we though, "who the hell designed this?"

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that up RWD! I'm surprised I didn't have you rated +, but there you go

I would really appreciate if you could send me that template, I'll PM you with my email. Its much appreciated

Formula- That makes a lot of sense, I was going off of my conversations with some HR people in the MTA here about having a PE. They were telling me that most of their engineers aren't licensed and its not too big a deal, but the MTA sucks IMO. Thanks for the tips!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Maybe the lesson here, Steve, isn't that all engineers are stupid - but that GM engineers are stupid? You worked there how long ago? We've all certainly had enough moments working on our cars when we though, "who the hell designed this?"

never said all engineers are stupid, contrary to what some here think I have worked with some that left the field of engineering to work with their hands or on the line. And I wasn't talking about JUST GMs engineers I have worked in the field with engineers who thought they knew it all and would make something that wouldn't even pass code for buildings, schools or whatever it was I was working on after I worked at GM.

lets just see how long before this young man gets a job in his field, and if he can keep it with the I don't need to listen to anyone who is older or not an engineer attitude.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-27-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock