Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  Tips for a fresh college grad on the prowl for work? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tips for a fresh college grad on the prowl for work? by nitroheadz28
Started on: 07-25-2013 09:24 PM
Replies: 121 (2290 views)
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 08-07-2013 01:30 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I would really appreciate if you could send me that template, I'll PM you with my email. Its much appreciated

Just sent it.

Also to add:

-If you're doing online applications and they have an option of including a cover letter, always write and include one. Write a new one every time, or it might sound like a fill-in-the-blank form letter. Base it on the job description and skills they're looking for.

-Follow up an interview with a 'Thank You' letter or email if you don't have a physical mail address.

These things will make you more memorable and set you apart from others who do not bother. One time I had an interview where they asked me to calculate the inductance in a circuit. I did what I could at the interview, memorized the circuit, and later submitted a page and a half of the properly documented equations and calculations with the 'Thank You' letter to prove I could do the work.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 07-27-2013).]

IP: Logged
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it, thank you again sir!

Yes I always include cover letters and modify each one accordingly for whatever I'm applying for. At first I was really dreading dealing with cover letters, but once I wrote myself a good template, applying for work got much more pain free and less time consuming. Thanks for the other info

So Formula provided a site to help with the job search. Any other sites off the beaten path worth exploring apart from the mainstream things I've been looking through lately. I definitely plan to check with my school, and follow up with my professors again. Just trying to maximize opportunity
mikejhjr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nitro, recent engineering grad here too. I skimmed the posts after seeing the "I hate engineers" rants, sorry if I repeat anything.

I just took the FE (Chemical though, so I can only help on the general morning portion) in April, so if you have any questions about that shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email. I don't know if you're willing to move south, but I see a decent amount of entry level Mechanical jobs around here. A few of my Mechanical buddies have come across solid jobs by looking around and searching out the smaller names. Staying away from the major listings and going with a phone call/email to the smaller businesses has paid off for a few of them. Look around at every local possibility and get in touch with them, it might make all the difference.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread has a lowest common denominator; I just can't put my finger on what it is exactly though.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I didn't think you could file bankruptcy on student loan debt.

So many older guys on this forum are down on getting an education. Really an odd sentiment that is commonly shared here.

You really should have altered your schedule to get an internship. Also your school should have resources to help you find a job. Maybe continue that degree and while you are only going a few hours find an internship that way? I'd suggest just taking any job. A whole hell of a lot easier to get a job when you already have one. Just like finding a new girlfriend. Girls like guys that are worthy of another's attention.

I'm not one of those older guys that is "down on getting an education". I'm currently paying for 2 people's college degree, and wish like hades I had gone that route myself.

I highly recommend college, but I also recommend moving to an area and or sector that can competitively seek out and make use of those with that education.
One like this:
http://careers.chevron.com/...LT0bgCFUPl7AodaBkAXw
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I'm not one of those older guys that is "down on getting an education". I'm currently paying for 2 people's college degree, and wish like hades I had gone that route myself.

I highly recommend college, but I also recommend moving to an area and or sector that can competitively seek out and make use of those with that education.
One like this:
http://careers.chevron.com/...LT0bgCFUPl7AodaBkAXw

"A true bubble is when something is overvalued and intensely believed. Education may be the only thing people still believe in in the United States. To question education is really dangerous. It is the absolute taboo. It's like telling the world there's no Santa Claus." - Peter Thiel

Government subsidization has nearly ruined higher education.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NoMoreRicers

2192 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Sorry for being O/T for your O/T post nitro.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stats according to news shows each graduating class from college is having harder and harder times finding any jobs. Ive had everyone from high school to college stop in and ask about a job. Id prefer a high school grad myself because he knows he dont know a thing but wants learn it. College grads Ive seen here have the attitude that they already know everything, and they just need a transition job for $25 @ hour till they land one in their field...LOL. I tell them theyd have to start at $7 @ hour and that usually gets rid of them.

Unless your into an intensive field like Law or Medicine, college is a complete waste of time in my book. Youd be much better off to save that tuition and apprentice for someone in a field you want. If they hire you, they will train you how to do whatever it is the way they want it done. That even goes for mechanic and body work vocation schools. You could never make a living doing everything the way the schools will teach you to do it (even if its the right way). Ive seen school guys spend days fixing a damaged door when they could have bought a new one for 1/3 of the cost of their labor. ie/ $300 for new door, or 9 hours @ $100 per hour. Fixing damage isnt like you see on all the tv shows. They do a complete car ground up in 3 days. Ive had them take months working on them everyday.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-28-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate that Mike

Nomorericers- its all good man!

Roger- Please take your blanket statements to a more relevant thread, yes most college grads these days are complete idiots and a lot of what you say has truth to it. However me being a member of this forum, it should be somewhat evident to you that I have half a brain. So have some respect because this thread isn't about what most college grads are up to these days, its about helping me maximize my potential . Thanks!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, take out a few million dollar loan and start your own company. Your apparently smart enough to pull that off right. You graduated so you know everything needed to know in the field. If not, a company that you do start working for will make you their 'go fur' at maybe something above min wage because you do have a degree.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, Roger, pull the bug out of your ass. Everyone has to start somewhere. He's asking for ideas, not a dissertation on how stupid the younger generation is today. Suggesting he save his tuition money and skip college AFTER he's already graduated is pretty stupid. And you're the one complaining about how know-it-alls?

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-28-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

OK, take out a few million dollar loan and start your own company. Your apparently smart enough to pull that off right. You graduated so you know everything needed to know in the field. If not, a company that you do start working for will make you their 'go fur' at maybe something above min wage because you do have a degree.

Roger you have a PM, save your breath he won't listen to anyone without a degree.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whats wrong with you (I always held you with a high regard.. but thats flying out the window fast) and Steve? I started the thread with a purpose of maximizing my chance of finding a job. I didn't ask for your snide belittling comments based solely on the fact that I went to college.

I AM POST COLLEGE WITH A TECHNICAL AND IN DEMAND DEGREE, NOT IN DEBT, AND NOT A KNOW IT ALL. Does it take a college education to be able to comprehend that? Just wow. Anyone with a degree who comes to your shop for work clearly chose the wrong thing to study and has zero tact.

Steve- Who am I not listening to? Neither of you have given ANY usable advice. What the **** do I have to listen to from you, you filled this thread with your assumptions of my character without knowing me at all. Maybe stop being so shallow and understand that I'm human just like you, I've worked hard to get where I am- just because I haven't worked with my hands my entire life (I actually have for most of my youth) doesn't mean I'm worth any less than you.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whats wrong with you (I always held you with a high regard.. but thats flying out the window fast) and Steve? I started the thread with a purpose of maximizing my chance of finding a job. I didn't ask for your snide belittling comments based solely on the fact that I went to college.

I AM POST COLLEGE WITH A TECHNICAL AND IN DEMAND DEGREE, NOT IN DEBT, AND NOT A KNOW IT ALL. Does it take a college education to be able to comprehend that? Just wow. Anyone with a degree who comes to your shop for work clearly chose the wrong thing to study and has zero tact.

Steve- Who am I not listening to? Neither of you have given ANY usable advice. What the **** do I have to listen to from you, you filled this thread with your assumptions of my character without knowing me at all. Maybe stop being so shallow and understand that I'm human just like you, I've worked hard to get where I am- just because I haven't worked with my hands my entire life (I actually have for most of my youth) doesn't mean I'm worth any less than you.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and just how long has that life of work been, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years?
I dare say both Roger and I have worked just a few more years than you have, I think, but you could prove us wrong and say just how many years you have WORKED.

but all we did was tell you that the economy sucks, were we wrong?

That a degree does not guaranty instant success in your field, no matter what it is. we all work, we all worked very hard, Roger has owned his own business for years if not decades. just what have you done?

Go to school, big fkn whoop, I went to school, Roger went to school, he served our country, did you?

now if you did that I would give you some respect, but so far all you have said is you worked, nothing about what you did.

I am so tired of the I got a degree I disserve some respect, respect is earned and it ain't earned in school, get out into the world and then you will earn my respect, not that you care or I care about getting respect from some kid who has done nothing yet.

tell me just what you have done to disserve respect from anyone who has worked 30 or 40 years?

Steve

------------------

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mentioned respect because I have treated both of you properly on this forum, I don't **** all over your threads or disrespect you with your posts. I appreciate you having the same regard for me

You would think that with age comes maturity and wisdom. Both of you possess neither. Now stop polluting this thread with your garbage please.

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 07-28-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just get sick of hearing everyone say you have to have a college degree. You dont. Just telling you to take what you can get for the present. Just because you got your piece of paper dont guarantee you anything. College is now as big a joke as high school. Theyre full of people that cant even spell 4 letter words. Most now go to college just to get out of their parents house and attend as many parties as they can. The only thing thats appreciated in college is sports. OSU is a perfect example. If your going to stick to looking for something good paying in your field, be ready to move out of state or even country for it. I know some with degrees that are car salesmen. I also know some that didnt graduate high school and are also car salesmen. I cant think of a single person I know who has a degree....and is working in that field....except for nurses, and a few lawyers. My cousin graduated high school and worked for the government at a construction depot here in columbus. He now owns a multi million dollar company. You know all those 'games' found all over the place in like KMarts, Walmarts, etc....He owns the company that rents them to the stores all over the country. His company also almost bought Redbox, but he changed his mind on the deal. It took him 20 years, but hes on easy street now. He used his money to invest instead of paying college tuition.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just get sick of hearing everyone say you have to have a college degree. You dont. Just telling you to take what you can get for the present. Just because you got your piece of paper dont guarantee you anything. College is now as big a joke as high school. Theyre full of people that cant even spell 4 letter words. Most now go to college just to get out of their parents house and attend as many parties as they can. The only thing thats appreciated in college is sports. OSU is a perfect example. If your going to stick to looking for something good paying in your field, be ready to move out of state or even country for it. I know some with degrees that are car salesmen. I also know some that didnt graduate high school and are also car salesmen. I cant think of a single person I know who has a degree....and is working in that field....except for nurses, and a few lawyers. My cousin graduated high school and worked for the government at a construction depot here in columbus. He now owns a multi million dollar company. You know all those 'games' found all over the place in like KMarts, Walmarts, etc....He owns the company that rents them to the stores all over the country. His company also almost bought Redbox, but he changed his mind on the deal. It took him 20 years, but hes on easy street now. He used his money to invest instead of paying college tuition.

I agree with you but this thread has nothing to do with that, would you like some help with your reading comprehension? Especially Steve barely having a command of the English language.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Especially Steve barely having a command of the English language.[/b]

here is just some light reading for you about me.
Recovering after stroke
Email this page to a friendShare on facebookShare on twitterBookmark & SharePrinter-friendly version

A stroke happens when blood flow to any part of the brain stops.

Each person has a different recovery time and need for long-term care. Problems with moving, thinking, and talking often improve in the first weeks or months after a stroke. Some people will keep improving months or years after a stroke.

Information

WHERE TO LIVE AFTER A STROKE

Most patients will need stroke rehabilitation (rehab) to help them recover after they leave the hospital. Stroke rehab will help you regain the ability to care for yourself.

Most types of therapy can be done where you live, including in the home.
•People who are not able to care for themselves at home after a stroke may have therapy in a special part of a hospital or in a nursing or rehabilitation center.
•Those who are able to go back home might go to a special clinic or have someone come to their home.

Whether you can go back home after a stroke depends on:
•Whether you can take care of yourself
•How much help there will be at home
•Whether the home is a safe place (for example, stairs in the home might not be safe for a stroke patient who has trouble walking)

You may need to go to a boarding home or convalescent home to have a safe environment.

For people who are cared for at home:
•Changes may be needed to stay safe from falls in the home and bathroom, prevent wandering, and make the home easier to use. The bed and bathroom should be easy to reach. Items (such as throw rugs) that may cause a fall should be removed.
•A number of devices can help with activities such as cooking or eating, bathing or showering, moving around the home or elsewhere, dressing and grooming, writing and using a computer, and many more activities.
•Family counseling may help you cope with the changes needed for home care. Visiting nurses or aides, volunteer services, homemakers, adult protective services, adult day care, and other community resources (such as a local Department of Aging) may be helpful.
•Legal advice may be needed. Advance directives, power of attorney, and other legal actions may make it easier to make decisions about care.

SPEAKING AND COMMUNICATING

After a stroke, some people may have problems finding a word or being able to speak more than one word or phrase at a time. Or, they may have trouble speaking at all. This is called aphasia.
•People who have had a stroke may be able to put many words together, but they may not make sense. Patients do not usually know that what they are saying is not easy to understand. They may get frustrated when they realize other people cannot understand.
•It can take up to 2 years to recover speech. Not everyone will fully recover.

A stroke can also damage the muscles that help you speak. As a result, these muscles do not move the right way when you try to speak.

A speech and language therapist can work with you and your family or caregivers. You can learn new ways to communicate.

See also:
•Communicating with someone with aphasia
•Dysarthria - care

THINKING AND MEMORY

After a stroke, people may have:
•Changes in their ability to think or reason
•Changes in behavior
•Memory problems
•Poor judgment

These problems increase the need for safety precautions.

Depression after a stroke is common. Depression can start soon after a stroke, but symptoms may not begin for up to 2 years after the stroke. Treatments for depression include:
•Increased social activity -- more visits in the home or going to an adult day care center for activities
•Medicines for depression and visits to a therapist or counselor

MUSCLE, JOINT, AND NERVE PROBLEMS

Moving around and doing normal daily tasks such as dressing and feeding may be harder after a stroke.

Muscles on one side of the body may be weaker or may not move at all. This may involve only part of the arm or leg, or the whole side of the body.
•Muscles on the weak side of the body may be very tight.
•Different joints in the body may become hard to move. The shoulder and other joints may dislocate.

Many of these problems can cause pain after a stroke. Pain may also occur from changes in the brain itself. You may use pain medicines, but check with your health care provider first. People who have pain due to tight muscles may get medicines that help with muscle spasms.

Physical therapists, occupational therapists, and rehabilitation doctors will help you relearn how to:
•Dress, groom, and eat
•Bathe, shower, and use the toilet
•Use canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and other devices to stay as mobile as possible
•Possibly return to work
•Keep all of the muscles as strong as possible and stay as physically active as possible, even if you cannot walk
•Manage muscle spasms or tightness with stretching exercises and braces that fit around the ankle, elbow, shoulder, and other joints

BLADDER AND BOWEL CARE

A stroke can lead to problems with bladder or bowel control. These problems may be caused by:
•Damage to part of the brain that helps the bowels and bladder work smoothly
•Not noticing the need to go to the bathroom
•Problems getting to the toilet in time

Symptoms may include:
•Loss of bowel control, diarrhea (loose bowel movements), or constipation (hard bowel movements)
•Loss of bladder control, feeling the need to urinate often, or problems emptying the bladder

Certain medicines your doctor may prescribe may help with bladder control. You may need a referral to a bladder or bowel specialist.

Sometimes, a bladder or bowel schedule will help. It can also help to place a commode chair close to where you sit most of the day. Some people need a permanent urinary catheter to drain urine from their body.

To prevent skin or pressure sores:
•Clean up after incontinence
•Change position often and know how to move in a bed, chair, or wheelchair
•Make sure the wheelchair fits correctly
•Have family members or other caregivers learn how to watch out for skin sores

See also: Preventing pressure sores

SWALLOWING AND EATING AFTER A STROKE

Swallowing problems may be due to a lack of attention when eating or damage to the nerves that help you swallow.

Symptoms of swallowing problems are:
•Coughing or choking, either during or after eating
•Gurgling sounds from the throat during or after eating
•Throat clearing after drinking or swallowing
•Slow chewing or eating
•Coughing food back up after eating
•Hiccups after swallowing
•Chest discomfort during or after swallowing

A speech therapist can help with swallowing and eating problems after a stroke. Diet changes, such as thickening liquids or eating pureed foods, may be needed. Some people will need a permanent feeding tube, called a gastrostomy.

Some people do not take in enough calories after a stroke. High-calorie foods or food supplements that also contain vitamins or minerals can prevent weight loss and keep you healthy.

OTHER IMPORTANT ISSUES

Both men and women may have problems with sexual function after a stroke. Medications called phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (Viagra or Cialis) may be helpful. Ask your health care provider whether these drugs are right for you. Talking with a therapist or counselor may also help.

Treatment and lifestyle changes to prevent another stroke are important. This includes healthy eating, controlling illnesses such as diabetes and high blood pressure, and sometimes taking medicine to help prevent stroke.

Alternative Names

Stroke rehabilitation; Cerebrovascular accident - rehabilitation; Recovery from stroke; Stroke - recovery

References

Dobkin BH. Principles and practice of neurological rehabilitation. In: Bradley WG, Daroff RB, Fenichel GM, Jankovic J, eds. Neurology in Clinical Practice. Philadelphia, Pa: Butterworth-Heinemann Elsevier; 2008:chap 52.

Stein J. Stroke. In: Frontera, WR, Silver JK, eds. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2008:chap 149.

Update Date: 6/8/2011

Updated by: Keven Sheth, MD, Department of Neurology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine; David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

Browse the Encyclopedia

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medl...y/article/007419.htm

Like making light of someone with a disability do we?

Steve

------------------

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep trolling Steve, stop making this thread into the special Olympics and take your disability excuses somewhere else. Maybe if you didn't work so "hard" you wouldn't be dealing with it.

I asked you politely to stop mudding up my thread, take your attitude elsewhere you bitter old fool.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Ask for a few pointers and you get this thread. What is the point of all the bitter ranting?
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep trolling Steve, stop making this thread into the special Olympics and take your disability excuses somewhere else. Maybe if you didn't work so "hard" you wouldn't be dealing with it.

I asked you politely to stop mudding up my thread, take your attitude elsewhere you bitter old fool.

Oh that's it you arrogant little twit, I will make sure you never have any thread that I don't post that last post in every time you post.'

maybe if my family didn't have a history of strokes or heart disease I might not have ever had a stroke. the only thing working all the hours I did when I worked was pay off every home I ever bought, my home I am living in right now is paid for, is yours?

oh that's right you live at home with mommy and daddy, is their home paid for?

keep it up, keep being exactly what I said your were an arrogant college educated jerk who will never get a job and be living with mommy and daddy for the rest of your life.

Have a good life without ever having any medical problems.

Steve

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by mikejhjr:

Wow. Ask for a few pointers and you get this thread. What is the point of all the bitter ranting?

He brought this on himself, I didn't start this he did.

Steve

------------------

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mikejhjr:

Right? You'd think he got it out of his system after his first 2 posts when he was asked to keep his opinion to himself.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right? You'd think he got it out of his system after his first 2 posts when he was asked to keep his opinion to himself.

I don't know maybe it had something to do with what you said to me on page one, what was it now.

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Oh well I am already on the down side.
Just my honest opinion of a recent college graduates chances in todays economy, they are not in very good shape, don't like the truth, don't ask my opinion/.
Steve

No one asked for your opinion, you provided nothing of value to add to the discussion. I hope your beer helps relieve the sensation of whatever you have stuck up your ass.

wasn't it you who started the thread about some guy asking you if you wanted a BJ?

seems everyone thinks you are a tad gay.

look my first post was what I thought you should do because of todays economy and you just escalated your BS, want to keep it up I got all night.

seems you like to dish it out and can't take it when someone else does it to you. you have a problem with older folks because you think your dad was a dick, OK get it off you chest here because if you ever find a job you ain't going to last long with your attitude, everyone will be older than you, have more degrees than you and more experience than you. see how well that works for you in the work force.

You should be thanking me, my posts are keeping this thread on top, just what page do you think it would be on if I hadn't posted.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-28-2013).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stats according to news shows each graduating class from college is having harder and harder times finding any jobs. Ive had everyone from high school to college stop in and ask about a job. Id prefer a high school grad myself because he knows he dont know a thing but wants learn it. College grads Ive seen here have the attitude that they already know everything, and they just need a transition job for $25 @ hour till they land one in their field...LOL. I tell them theyd have to start at $7 @ hour and that usually gets rid of them.

Unless your into an intensive field like Law or Medicine, college is a complete waste of time in my book. Youd be much better off to save that tuition and apprentice for someone in a field you want. If they hire you, they will train you how to do whatever it is the way they want it done. That even goes for mechanic and body work vocation schools. You could never make a living doing everything the way the schools will teach you to do it (even if its the right way). Ive seen school guys spend days fixing a damaged door when they could have bought a new one for 1/3 of the cost of their labor. ie/ $300 for new door, or 9 hours @ $100 per hour. Fixing damage isnt like you see on all the tv shows. They do a complete car ground up in 3 days. Ive had them take months working on them everyday.

I also know a ton of people with degrees that are making very close to 6 figures annual salary. They didn't start off that high but it didn't take 'em long to get there.
Many of them were recruited by companies right out of college, or even before they got their degree. I did good enough without any college, but I have not one shred of doubt that I would have gone a lot further and faster if I had gotten a college education.

Take the long view nitroheadz28--the economy may be down right now, but won't be forever, and as the baby boomers retire and die off, industry will need replacement for them. Just don't limit your options, and chief among those is the willigness to relocate. Best of luck to you!!

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Take the long view nitroheadz28--the economy may be down right now, but won't be forever, and as the baby boomers retire and die off, industry will need replacement for them. Just don't limit your options, and chief among those is the willigness to relocate. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you , yes as I mentioned I'm willing to relocate and not picky at all when it comes to salary or other conditions as long as the position is related to my field.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't aware that having a stroke was a good excuse to be a d1ckhead.
steinke_phil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_philSend a Private Message to steinke_philEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am currently in school for mechanical engineering.

I have a few leads through my co-ops of companies looking for engineers.

They are located in west central ohio. The pay probably wont be super impressive, but the cost of living is low around here. Pm me if you would like the names of the companies.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

look my first post was what I thought you should do because of todays economy and you just escalated your BS, want to keep it up I got all night.

This was your first post...

Bend over stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass good by.

unless it was paid for by a company you already work for you are pretty much screwed, now pay off your college costs while working for less than I made when I was working as a welder.

Steve

And you're complaining about HIS BS? He has no college debt, as he had already stated in the thread when you posted this, so your only "help" was to tell him he's screwed and gloat about making more as a welder.

That's some real sage advice you got there. Your years of experience working with your hands gave you that wisdom and now you've enriched us all by sharing it.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steinke_phil:

I am currently in school for mechanical engineering.

I have a few leads through my co-ops of companies looking for engineers.

They are located in west central ohio. The pay probably wont be super impressive, but the cost of living is low around here. Pm me if you would like the names of the companies.

Thank you sir! + for you and PM sent, I really appreciate it!

I loled

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 07-28-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

Gee I don't know how about saving for retirement for over 30 years only to lose it all to have to pay for medical expenses because of the stroke, but no that's not an excuse for being a dick.

or some smart ass kid thinking he knows everything and throwing it in your face that you just paid for his college education.

or some smart ass kid making fun of the fact that your reading and writing is sub par even after knowing about a life changing debilitating medical problem.

or engineers who say that they are sorry for the delay it wasn't his fault he is limited by his welders inabilities to finish on time because they are rotten welders. when in reality it is just him covering his ass because he couldn't design a match book.

or maybe you could understand that taking someone's ability to work and take care of themselves and their family away for the rest of their live just might turn someone's outlook on life a tad black.

or maybe spending as long trying to recover from a stroke to be able to walk and talk almost normal only to be made fun of by snot nosed kid whose college you were just informed you paid for.

Ah fk it why would I be just a little bit of a dick because someone thinks its fun to make fun of my disability, I can't think of any reason why I would be a dick, can you.

I will never be able to work again and support myself or my family, why would that give me any reason to be a dick.

gee I don't know what do you think.

Steve

------------------

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you to all the members that are looking out for a brother

Its too bad Steve is still hell bent on beating his monkey chest professing how much better he is than the rest of us. Steve you should've been a coal miner or oil rig worker, welding just makes you seem less of a man
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its too bad Steve is still hell bent on beating his monkey chest professing how much better he is than the rest of us. Steve you should've been a coal miner or oil rig worker, welding just makes you seem less of a man

did it really make you feel better degrading someone with a handycap?

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-29-2013).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

now pay off your college costs while working for less than I made when I was working as a welder.

Steve

Did gloating about your welder pay to discourage a recent college graduate make you feel better?

Good luck with your search nitro! I graduated this past spring, and was lucky to have a job waiting for me. I'm glad I didn't have to make a post asking for help to find a job in the financial sector, I'm sure Steve wouldn't have missed an opportunity to cut me down for working in the banking industry, you know since it isn't welding or hard labor.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Did gloating about your welder pay to discourage a recent college graduate make you feel better?

Good luck with your search nitro! I graduated this past spring, and was lucky to have a job waiting for me. I'm glad I didn't have to make a post asking for help to find a job in the financial sector, I'm sure Steve wouldn't have missed an opportunity to cut me down for working in the banking industry, you know since it isn't welding or hard labor.

nice lets just make some more fun of the old disabled guy who had a stroke and is disabled. you know it is nice that you guys got to get an education and I'm glad you did .

also glad everyone thinks it is good to make fun of someone who is disabled but did work for all his life to pay for everything he has without the advantage of a college degree.

fk you all.

can you tell I have been having a bad fkn day, week or do I need to explain it even more about the nighmares about the sicko next door who kicked the door into my home and attacked my wife and bit her and when o got her outside she attacked me with a sickle with a 2' blade who was let lose from the nut house instead of being deported. or would yop like a little more info about my fkd up life so you kids can gloat about how much better you are than me.

fk you all.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-29-2013).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nice lets just make some more fun of the old disabled guy who had a stroke and is disabled. you know it is nice that you guys got to get an education and I'm glad you did .

also glad everyone thinks it is good to make fun of someone who is disabled but did work for all his life to pay for everything he has without the advantage of a college degree.

fk you all.
Steve

Edit: I'm not making fun of you Steve.
If you're having a bad week/day/life that sucks, but why drag your bitterness into threads where you've been asked not to?

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 07-29-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No one's making fun of you Steve.
If you're having a bad week/day/life that sucks, but why drag your bitterness into threads where you've been asked not to?

sure looked like it to me.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shhhhhhhhh, Steve, he has a degree. You supposed to bow before them, didnt you know that. I made a legal 6 figure income for 15 years. College had nothing at all to do with it. I HAD to have some college to fly in the Air Force (to be an officer). It was OK, because it was during my enlistment and they paid it. Otherwise, it was the worst spent time in my life. It served absolutely no worthwhile purpose field wise or financially.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks a lot man , glad to hear some of us were able to score some jobs out of the gate

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock