Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid? by blackrams
Started on: 02-16-2021 09:26 AM
Replies: 159 (2316 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 01-12-2024 09:49 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

OK Willie- Stop looking over my shoulder! I actually drink Cran-Raspberry mixed with Raspberry Lemonade and a little water; What is really funny tho is that I don't like Raspberrys and I don't like Cranberrys- Mix the two together and it is terrific!

Just what would you guys be saying if Teddy was one of them-there Lib-R-als....From the Demo-crap party? You'd be flipping the hell out- and you know it!

But ANYTHING a TRUMP!!! support does is A-OK with you.....ANY-Freaking-Thing!

Apparently, you either don't or haven't read any of my posts. While I do support and agree with most (but, not all) of DJT's policies and that he did a good job, I am not and have never been a Trumper.

BTW, took a friend and my daughter with her family out to dinner tonight. On the way there, we stopped for fuel. There were already 7 or 8 Alabama Electric bucket trucks there getting fuel and while we were there, another 7 or 8 rolled in. As we were leaving I asked if they were headed to TX. They said yes. I don't know for sure but, I didn't think AL and Texas were cooperative in the Grid system so, I assume AL is reaching out to help, not sure if the "independent" Texans asked for it or not.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-19-2021).]

IP: Logged
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skydda vindkraftverk på vintern

So, maybe you're Swedish-language challenged, even in terms of reading printed or print-like text?

Click to show
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ole Joe: “I’m sending Hunter down to Texas.”

Texas Gov: “Ummm, Mr. Biden, we have ‘cracked pipes’ not crack pipes.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid?

Click to show
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My joke was much better
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snowflake. Could it simply be because the dog is white and fluffy?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:
Skellefteå Kraft has experimented with operating wind turbines in the Arctic and coats the wings with thin layers of carbon fiber that automatically heat to prevent ice from forming.

Yeah, sure. Carbon fiber automatically heats, .

Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid?

Would you connect your grid to Texas if you didn't have to?

Yes. Another choice would be Kalifornia which has rolling blackouts year long.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's like a rear-window defroster that's embedded in the carbon fiber jacket for the wind turbine blades. The "automatic" is that the deicing circuits are controlled by sensors that detect the conditions when the electrically generated heat is needed. I think it's kind of new. Something the Swedes are experimenting with.

But there are more basic winterization packages to provide heat (when necessary) to the internal workings of wind turbines. It would be interesting to discover whether the Texas wind turbines had any of that.

I'm not "smug" about what's happened in Texas.

I'm up against a hard deadline here so I will try to leave it at that.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its cold in here
Click to show
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was a "Lights Out" performance for Winter Storm "Uri"

"When you Cruz, you lose."
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not "smug" about what's happened in Texas.

Rephrase that. Tell us what you really think ! You might want to look up the definition of "smug". I can tell you who is smug about what's happened in Texas. The Counterfeit News Network, (CNN). Dana Bash say we need Federal oversight.

Screw You, Were From Texas

We will and always have regulated ourselves. We are doing damn good.

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired

The rich and powerful.....(Our betters) should never have to suffer for their bad decisions......

Ted Cruz is ABOVE all of the rest of Texas, and as such, you should never question what he does.......Now, if he was a democrat or hadn't backed Lord Trump to the hilt, then you should have a recall.......

Hyp-O-crisy........I just wonder how all of those people with wrecked pipes/walls/floors/etc are going to pay for all of that damage....?

How are we going to pay for it ? We are going to use your money, . We help pay for all those that choose to live in hurricane zones, those that choose to live in wild fire zones, those that choose to live in flood zones, earthquake zones.

I have damage. I don't need a fracking thing as far as help. I have more than I need and, actually, I am helping others.

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35768 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Hudini:
Ole Joe: “I’m sending Hunter down to Texas.”

Texas Gov: “Ummm, Mr. Biden, we have ‘cracked pipes’ not crack pipes.

I have got to second you, .

Originally posted by Hudini:
My joke was much better

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

How are we going to pay for it ? We are going to use your money, . We help pay for all those that choose to live in hurricane zones, those that choose to live in wild fire zones, those that choose to live in flood zones, earthquake zones.

I have damage. I don't need a fracking thing as far as help. I have more than I need and, actually, I am helping others.

This I agree with! Reference the assistance, it's already arriving, No idea who asked for it but, I've been seeing electric utility and bucket trucks headed your way for a couple of days now.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2021 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AOC was down there helping out with aid.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:
AOC was down there helping out with aid.

My gosh. That is the most asinine thing I have ever heard.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My gosh. That is the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

Who here wouldn't love to see a pic of AOC helping Cliffw out?

Rams
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No matter what the heck is happening- Shouldn't we be willing to help out our fellow Americans? I really like that OK is sending crews to help- and that ALL states have sent aid.

I seem to remember that we are all in the same country...."Right"?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No matter what the heck is happening- Shouldn't we be willing to help out our fellow Americans? I really like that OK is sending crews to help- and that ALL states have sent aid.

You seem to forget, not know or ignore the fact that some states get that federal disaster aide on a routine basis. Texas doesn't.
Much of that "routine" disaster aide is because of bad decisions consistently made by those same states. They know it's going to happen and still do the same things over and over again.

Rams
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a clue ? We help out the World. Who is OK sending out to help ? Plumbing crews ?

We got this. Help is appreciated.

Yes, we are in the same country. The Divided States Of America.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Texas, Florida, California and North Carolina Are Most Dependent on FEMA Aid (ValuePenguin)"

ValuePenguin(.com); July 30, 2020.
https://www.prnewswire.com/...finds-301103304.html

I's very short. Just a little beyond a single page. Here are the first two "bullet" points:
  • Since 2017, FEMA has allotted more than $45 billion toward disaster relief and financial aid in the United States, of which more than 80% has been used. $10 billion remains unspent, free to be included in future budgets.

• Texas has received the most money from FEMA, totaling more than $7.6 billion in federal aid and spending more than $6.2 billion. Florida, California and North Carolina also received more than $1 billion in federal aid in the last three years. Arizona, Montana and Utah received the smallest amount of FEMA disaster relief, [only] amounting to less than $10 million since 2017.

FEMA assistance, of course, is only one of the many ways of trying to quantify the beneficence of the Federal government on a state by state basis.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-21-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Texas and Florida have hurricanes. There is no way around that.

California has fires. We have been over that fiasco before.

I don't know about North Carolina, unless it is also hurricanes.
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Texas and Florida have hurricanes. There is no way around that.

California has fires. We have been over that fiasco before.

I don't know about North Carolina, unless it is also hurricanes.

And?

I might as well fess up: I was responding to that last message from "blackrams"

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-21-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Texas, Florida, California and North Carolina Are Most Dependent on FEMA Aid (ValuePenguin)"

ValuePenguin(.com); July 30, 2020.
https://www.prnewswire.com/...finds-301103304.html

I's very short. Just a little beyond a single page. Here are the first two "bullet" points:
  • Since 2017, FEMA has allotted more than $45 billion toward disaster relief and financial aid in the United States, of which more than 80% has been used. $10 billion remains unspent, free to be included in future budgets.

• Texas has received the most money from FEMA, totaling more than $7.6 billion in federal aid and spending more than $6.2 billion. Florida, California and North Carolina also received more than $1 billion in federal aid in the last three years. Arizona, Montana and Utah received the smallest amount of FEMA disaster relief, [only] amounting to less than $10 million since 2017.

FEMA assistance, of course, is only one of the many ways of trying to quantify the beneficence of the Federal government on a state by state basis.

And?

I might as well fess up: I was responding to that last message from "blackrams"

Would the phrase No Sh1t Sherlock mean anything to you?

Well, if that data is correct, then I'm wrong. The last few years have had excessive hurricanes and I guess I didn't consider that. I'd like to see what those numbers are for the last 20 or 30 years.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-21-2021).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think what's going to be more illuminating is how Texas responds.

There's the obvious issue, of whether and how to make their power infrastructure more robust in the event of very severe winter weather.

Beyond that, the issues of whether and how to change the way that the Texas energy markets and infrastructures are regulated.

It's hard to imagine that there will not be some changes.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2021 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pretty sure those crews get paid a bunch in a little amount of time and the government passes the cost to everyone's tax bill.

I'm not protesting this practice.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think what's going to be more illuminating is how Texas responds.

There's the obvious issue, of whether and how to make their power infrastructure more robust in the event of very severe winter weather.

Beyond that, the issues of whether and how to change the way that the Texas energy markets and infrastructures are regulated.

It's hard to imagine that there will not be some changes.

You regulate your azz, ... we don't need you, we don't want you. We didn't ask you to regulate us.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 02-21-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So BIG GOVT regulating is >>>EVIL<<<....'casue big govt is always CORRUPT....Luckily, private enterprise and big corporations are NEVER corrupt!

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

But I see that this situation in Texas will have good effect on the power grid- too bad that they didn't have a PRIOR situation that would have made it OBVIOUS that improvements were needed....."Right"....?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You regulate your azz, ... we don't need you, we don't want you. We didn't ask you to regulate us.

I didn't say "I" or "California."

There's "Texas Exceptionalism" and there's "Texas Exceptionalism Gone Wild."

Where do you want to be?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-22-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a jet boat (CVX-20)....Have had it for 21 years.....I noticed on the Hot boat Forums that a number of guys with "Hot boats" don't like to have any floatation foam in their boat- because it would "Add weight" and slow their boats down......I had to replace some of the foam in my boat when doing some repairs (44 year old boat).....The Polyurethane foam weighs 2 Lbs per cubic foot.....I just measured the foam boxes in my boat and after some calculating, came up with 15 cubic feet of foam in my boat, total......That means that my (Over-foamed) factory boat has a grand total of.....30 lbs of foam.....In a 2000 lbs boat, how much difference is that going to make?

But one of those guys was running his boat at Camp Far West lake (Hot boat Mecca) and blew out his hand hole cover...the boat sank in 100 feet of water- he had to hire a professional diver to help recover the boat (Along with hiring a boat recovery crew)..........He probably only needed 20 lbs of foam to keep his boat afloat......

I tell you this as an example of people shooting themselves in the foot......Texas should have been better prepared for this situation...There are MILLIONS of Texans that are suffering....."We don't need no stinkin' reg-U-lations!!!!" Truly dumb State leadership....

And yes, I see stupid crap from our state leaders here in CA (They're mainly Liberals, after all!)

The partisanship crap has gotten way out of control- Every-freakin'-thing is all about what side of the isle you're on....."Hey, I just picked up a pizza" "Yeah- well stinkin' liberal pizza...I hate them!"
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

floatation foam

foam in my boat...

Polyurethane foam

foam in my boat

my (Over-foamed) factory boat has a grand total of.....30 lbs of foam

20 lbs of foam

I tell you this as an example of people shooting themselves in the foot......

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's "Texas Exceptionalism" and there's "Texas Exceptionalism Gone Wild."

Where do you want to be?

I find myself in Texas, exactly where I want to be.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I find myself in Texas, exactly where I want to be.

I heard a great quote from Willie Nelson the other day:
"I'm from Texas, and one of the reasons I like Texas is because there's no one in control."
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009
OK, this is too funny not to post:

I think that's Ted on the right, with the vihuela.

edit: The left is obviously taunting Senator Cruz because of his trip to Mexico. Last year, Biden held a rally in Phoenix and also used Mariachis, presumably to ingratiate himself to our Latino population.

What is the left's curious obsession with Mariachis? Could it be racially motivated? Are they possibly perpetuating a racial stereotype?

In a way, it is kind of like saying that Dixieland bands are representative of all Americans.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-22-2021).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Apparently, you either don't or haven't read any of my posts. While I do support and agree with most (but, not all) of DJT's policies and that he did a good job, I am not and have never been a Trumper.

BTW, took a friend and my daughter with her family out to dinner tonight. On the way there, we stopped for fuel. There were already 7 or 8 Alabama Electric bucket trucks there getting fuel and while we were there, another 7 or 8 rolled in. As we were leaving I asked if they were headed to TX. They said yes. I don't know for sure but, I didn't think AL and Texas were cooperative in the Grid system so, I assume AL is reaching out to help, not sure if the "independent" Texans asked for it or not.

Rams

You obviously have no idea how the US electric utility system works when it comes to damage, nor do you understand that not all of Texas is part of ERCOT.
The MAA is a federally mandated and administrated agreement as part of the National Response Framework and individual states have no option to be able to opt out of it.
The information is readily available, even in Mississippi, but it's up to you to understand it.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You obviously have no idea how the US electric utility system works when it comes to damage, nor do you understand that not all of Texas is part of ERCOT.
The MAA is a federally mandated and administrated agreement as part of the National Response Framework and individual states have no option to be able to opt out of it.
The information is readily available, even in Mississippi, but it's up to you to understand it.

Don,
What I do or don't understand isn't the issue, all I've commented on was based on published reports. Although it might take a few days, even here in Mississippi we get national news.

It's clearly obvious you take that Texas pride thing to the extreme, I don't care, that's your choice and as you have previously stated many times, choices have consequences. According to the "news", millions of Texans are still suffering due to some apparently bad management. You have power, good for you.
Your choice, I simply don't chose to drink from that pitcher.
Have a good day.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-23-2021).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2021 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe try buying a piece of flood plain land and you could get that feeling of superiority too?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reader's guide (first draft) for self-directed exploration of liberal media's presentation of February 2021 Texas energy and water-related infrastructure and delivery systems disruptions related to Winter Storm Uri.

"Texas Pays the Price of the Culture War"

Instead of focusing on governance, Republican politicians in the Lone Star State spent their time inflaming grievances.
Adam Serwer for The Atlantic; February 22, 2021.
https://www.theatlantic.com...-culture-war/618107/

"Et Tu, Ted? Why Deregulation Failed"

Even Senator Cruz realizes kilowatt-hours aren’t like avocados.
Paul Krugman for the New York Times; February 22, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...ectricity-storm.html

"Why Texas Republicans Fear the Green New Deal"

Small government is no match for a crisis born of the state’s twin addictions to market fixes and fossil fuels.
Naomi Klein for the New York Times; February 21, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...-texas-blackout.html

"Texas Failed Because It Did Not Plan"

What went wrong? The Lone Star State made three fundamental errors.
Robinson Meyer for The Atlantic; February 21, 2021.
https://www.theatlantic.com...-wrong-texas/618104/

"How Texas’ Drive for Energy Independence Set It Up for Disaster"

Texas has refused to join interstate electrical grids and railed against energy regulation. Now it’s having to answer to millions of residents who were left without power in last week’s snowstorm.
Clifford Krauss, Manny Fernandez, Ivan Penn and Rick Rojas for the New York Times; February 21, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...ercot-blackouts.html

"Dallas County, TX Judge: ‘You Can Put This At The Foot Of The Governor’s Office’"

Judge Clay Jenkins from Dallas County remarks on the failures of Governor Greg Abbott and other leaders in Texas as thousands struggled through days without power during a winter storm. Aired on 02/19/2021. Interview with MSNBC anchor Nicolle Wallace. YouTube video segment, 5 minutes 20 seconds.
https://youtu.be/mYmblnBhYJc

"A Plan to Future-Proof the Texas Power Grid"

The state’s massive blackouts are the result of a failure to insure against extreme weather.
Jesse Jenkins for the New York Times; February 18, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...roof-texas-grid.html

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-23-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ERCOT Managers Resign After Widespread Storm Outages

https://www.msn.com/en-us/n...1dX9xC?ocid=msedgntp

Five officials will resign from the board overseeing the Texas power grid after it was pushed to the brink of collapse by the recent winter storm, leaving millions without electricity during some of the coldest temperatures the state has experienced in a generation.

a street filled with lots of traffic: A line at a San Antonio food distribution center on Sunday after a winter storm left millions without power.© Christopher Lee for The New York Times A line at a San Antonio food distribution center on Sunday after a winter storm left millions without power.
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, the board that governs the flow of power for more than 26 million people in the state, has been blamed for the widespread outages, prompting the governor, lawmakers and federal officials to begin inquiries into the system’s failures, particularly in preparation for cold weather.

The five board members, who intend to resign at the conclusion of a meeting scheduled for Wednesday morning, were all from outside of Texas, a point of contention for critics who questioned the wisdom of outsiders playing such an influential role in the state’s infrastructure.

In a statement on Tuesday filed with the Public Utility Commission, four of the board members said they were stepping down “to allow state leaders a free hand with future direction and to eliminate distractions.” In a footnote, the filing added that a fifth member was also resigning.

Those departing are Sally Talberg, the chairwoman and a former state utility regulator who lives in Michigan; Peter Cramton, the vice chairman and an economics professor at the University of Cologne in Germany and the University of Maryland; Terry Bulger, a retired banking executive who lives in Illinois; Raymond Hepper, a former official with the agency overseeing the power grid in New England; and Vanessa Anesetti-Parra, who oversees regulatory affairs for a company headquartered in Canada. Another person who was supposed to fill a vacant seat, Craig S. Ivey, has withdrawn from the 16-member board.

a man in a garden: Although ERCOT governs the flow of power for more than 26 million people in Texas, the four board members who resigned all lived outside of the state.© Michael Stravato for The New York Times Although ERCOT governs the flow of power for more than 26 million people in Texas, the four board members who resigned all lived outside of the state.

The board became the target of blame and scrutiny after the winter storm last week brought the state’s electric grid precariously close to a complete blackout that could have taken months to recover from. In a last-minute effort to avert that, the council, known as ERCOT, ordered rolling outages that plunged much of the state into darkness and caused electricity prices to skyrocket. Some customers had bills well over $10,000.

The weather crippled the system as power plants were knocked offline and pumps used to produce the natural gas needed to fuel them froze over.

State officials have said ERCOT had offered assurances that the power infrastructure was prepared to endure winter conditions.

“But those assurances proved to be devastatingly false,” Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement, adding, “When Texans were in desperate need of electricity, ERCOT failed to do its job and Texans were left shivering in their homes without power.”

As the state was reeling from the crisis, the realization that some board members lived out of state became a source of outrage, so much so that ERCOT initially took down information about them from its website. Officials said the members had been harassed and threatened.

One state lawmaker said he was weighing proposing legislation that would bar people who were not Texas residents from serving on the board.

“If you’re not living here, if you’re not experiencing what we’re experiencing, and yet you’re charged with making decisions on our behalf, that’s unacceptable,” Jeff Leach, a state representative whose district covers a swath of the Dallas suburbs, said in a recent interview.

The resignations come as the State Legislature prepares to hold hearings on the power outages on Thursday. The Harris County attorney, whose jurisdiction includes Houston, said on Tuesday that he was initiating a civil investigation examining decisions made by ERCOT and the Public Utility Commission, among others, and the district attorney in Travis County, which includes Austin, said he was opening a criminal investigation.

In a statement, ERCOT said, “We look forward to working with the Texas Legislature, and we thank the outgoing board members for their service.”

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission said late Monday that its enforcement division would review wholesale natural gas and electricity market activity in Texas, presumably to determine whether there was any illegal anticompetitive or price manipulations.

The failures of the power system drove up wholesale electricity prices from $1,200 per megawatt-hour to about $9,000.

Energy analysts said the failure involved not only oversight from ERCOT but electrical providers around the state that did not prepare their systems for harsh weather conditions.

“Heads had to roll but I don’t think it will change anything,” said Michael E. Webber, professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. “It’s easy to blame the out-of-state board members of the grid operator rather than in-state gas producers and power plant owners.”

Those operators neglected to spend the money to weatherize their instruments, pipelines and electrical lines to resist frigid weather, he said, because they were not obliged to do so by state regulation.

Ivan Penn and Clifford Krauss contributed reporting.

Interesting how this is playing out. It would seem there is more to this than meets the eye.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-23-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I heard that some of the ERCOT board members are resigning...The sad thing is, that in these situations, the guys stepping down are the honorable ones, while the ones who stay are the actual ones who should go.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And mysteriously all of the vacant positions will be filled by Californians who relocated to Texas.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock