Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Retired? How do you fill your day? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Retired? How do you fill your day? by blackrams
Started on: 01-27-2021 06:08 AM
Replies: 76 (1019 views)
Last post by: GTGeff on 02-01-2021 09:36 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'd like to learn how to fabricate metal.....engine brackets, and etc.

Or maybe I'll just help my wife train dogs.

Edit - One of my goals has been to learn to play the guitar. Or either prove to myself once and for all that it's a lost cause.

Raydar, taken bottom to top;

Guitar playing; Done it since I was 8 (1968) and can make money with a guitar on street corners; "Here's a $20" "Oh! You like my playing?" "NO! Just stop...Please stop!"

Training dogs; I think you miss-spelled that situation...You meant dog training you, right? (Oh-oh, my dog wants me to go play with her)

Metal Fabricating; I have machined an Alternator bracket and front cap for my boat from blocks of aluminum;

But being an ex-avionics tech, maybe I should not be allowed to use sharp implements......

(I don't understand why this has NOT made my guitar playing any worse.....)

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Raydar, taken bottom to top;

Guitar playing; Done it since I was 8 (1968) and can make money with a guitar on street corners; "Here's a $20" "Oh! You like my playing?" "NO! Just stop...Please stop!"

Training dogs; I think you miss-spelled that situation...You meant dog training you, right? (Oh-oh, my dog wants me to go play with her)

Metal Fabricating; I have machined an Alternator bracket and front cap for my boat from blocks of aluminum;

But being an ex-avionics tech, maybe I should not be allowed to use sharp implements......

(I don't understand why this has NOT made my guitar playing any worse.....)

LOL!
Where to start...

Actually, other than to tell you that your machine work is quite nice, I won't start at all, with the exception of the dog training.
It's actually true that they train us. All of them do it.

BUT... My wife has been working with stock dogs for years, and still doesn't consider herself "accomplished". She still has a lot to learn. We are within weeks of having sheep and ducks here. We also have cows, but none of them are "dog broke". Yes, that's really a thing.
She also trains agility (dog "obstacle courses"), and nosework - essentially scent tracking.
We've also built a dock diving (google it) facility, and she will be helping people train their dogs, or selling time at the pool, so that people can work at their own speed/level.

All kidding aside, once the weather breaks, we are going to be quite busy. (Although I still work full time, I am a full time telecommuter, so I can be close by, if needed.)
She's the real dog trainer, however. Although I love dogs, I don't really have the patience for it. But I know how to keep the pool pumps running, so there's that.

This was our old male Aussie. Taught my wife a bunch.
These were all agility ribbons.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do I do now that I'm retired? Saw this recently on Facebook. Not mine. I'll try to recreate it as best as I remember.

What do I now that I'm retired? Well, having a degree in chemical engineering, I spend my days converting whiskey, beer, and wine into urine.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar....The dog thing; Approx' 6 years ago I came up with a cartoon- actually framed a copy and gave it to my Vet....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-28-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2021 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dogs have me trained perfectly, and even partially house-broken !
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL!
Where to start...

Actually, other than to tell you that your machine work is quite nice, I won't start at all, with the exception of the dog training.
It's actually true that they train us. All of them do it.

BUT... My wife has been working with stock dogs for years, and still doesn't consider herself "accomplished". She still has a lot to learn. We are within weeks of having sheep and ducks here. We also have cows, but none of them are "dog broke". Yes, that's really a thing.
She also trains agility (dog "obstacle courses"), and nosework - essentially scent tracking.
We've also built a dock diving (google it) facility, and she will be helping people train their dogs, or selling time at the pool, so that people can work at their own speed/level.

All kidding aside, once the weather breaks, we are going to be quite busy. (Although I still work full time, I am a full time telecommuter, so I can be close by, if needed.)
She's the real dog trainer, however. Although I love dogs, I don't really have the patience for it. But I know how to keep the pool pumps running, so there's that.

This was our old male Aussie. Taught my wife a bunch.
These were all agility ribbons.

Working dogs. There is a lot of work involved, and no little expense, but in my state, herding dogs sell at a premium; TRAINED herding cow dogs even more so. It is just about a lost art to train them. A good cow dog is equal to 2 men on horses.

Sheep..ughh. The smell.
Fly strike and scrapie, and barberpole and coccidiosis Oh My!
Get used to inspecting their inner eyelids (FAMACHA), keep plenty of Ivomec and fenbendazole on hand as well as Amprolium (Corid®).
They're born just looking for a way to die.

LGDs imo, are a racket but the little backyard herd folks love to spend a thousand or more on them, hundreds on vet bills, and about $50 every other week for food when all the little farmer really needed was a cheap rifle and $20 of 7.62. Bullets are cheaper than dog food and they stop the cycle of one person's LGD runing predators off their property and onto their neighbor's property. I'm not much on making my problem someone else's problem but there are plenty of people that do exactly that with their high dollar LGDs.

Good $$ in the sale and training of them tho.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2021 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Sheep..
They're born just looking for a way to die.

Tammy and her friends say that they're just looking for an excuse.
But yeah. She seems to know what she's getting into. Has a bunch of meds lined up on the counter. So she must have an inkling...

Me? I couldn't really care too much less. That's her thing. (She only wants sheep, to use to train the dogs.)

LGDs imo, are a racket but the little backyard herd folks love to spend a thousand or more on them, hundreds on vet bills, and about $50 every other week for food when all the little farmer really needed was a cheap rifle and $20 of 7.62. Bullets are cheaper than dog food and they stop the cycle of one person's LGD runing predators off their property and onto their neighbor's property. I'm not much on making my problem someone else's problem but there are plenty of people that do exactly that with their high dollar LGDs.

Good $$ in the sale and training of them tho.

Interesting observation. She's talked about getting one, but I don't think she's serious about it. At least not yet.
OTOH, I have a couple of rifles and a bunch of 7.62.
We have a couple of security lights that are sensitive enough even for squirrels to trigger. Figure we'll do a few of them at the barn, too.
We've got at least two different packs of coyotes down here. They freak the aussies right the hell out, when they hear them at night.
Maybe I need some night vision stuff. Haven't priced any, lately.

Thanks for your comments. No substitute for knowing what you're doing. I don't. Tammy might.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2021 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What few folks that raise sheep here have problems with predation mostly due to coyotes. Are they as big as the eastern ones we have here in the north?
That's a 150 pound buck carcass we found after season a year ago.

You gotta watch out for these guys too.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2021 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
What do I now that I'm retired? Well, having a degree in chemical engineering, I spend my days converting whiskey, beer, and wine into urine.

Heh, too funny. Isn't that how you got your degree in chemical engineering ? You don't sound like you are retired.

Opie (blackrams), do we have to figure this out for you ? I drink beer. When I get bored, I piss off the wife. The gift which keeps on giving. On my part, it easy to do, . I know which buttons to push. There are many,

Ron, volunteer. Another gift which keeps on giving.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Opie (blackrams), do we have to figure this out for you ? I drink beer. When I get bored, I piss off the wife. The gift which keeps on giving. On my part, it easy to do, . I know which buttons to push. There are many,

Ron, volunteer. Another gift which keeps on giving.

Cliffy.
I tried to help you out with one of your projects, we both know how that worked out.

Reference recycling spirited drinks, just not something I have any interest in. I don't generally go rent tools at the rental store and I sure as heck am not interested in renting a beverage that leaves me feeling worse the next morning due to what I did the night before. Different strokes for different folks.

Working on solving that "fill the day" with a major project. Just have to convince the neighbor it's in her best interest. If I can do that, we'll all be happier.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-30-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Working of solving that "fill the day" with a major project. Just have to convince the neighbor it's in her best interest. If I can do that, we'll all be happier.

Your starting to show the colors of a true dumbocrat. Be careful.

I have another idea.

Originally posted by blackrams:
Boy, do I have some stories I could tell.

Write a book. Really Ronny, I mean that. We will let you have chapter one. I have stories to tell also. We all do.

If you don't write a book, volunteer.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go ahead.
Write your books.
I think I will wait for your wives' versions to hit the press.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Go ahead.
Write your books.
I think I will wait for your wives' versions to hit the press.

What ? You don't have a copy of "50 Shades of Grey" ?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea what that is.
A song?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have no idea what that is.
A song?

Truthfully, I don't either. It is all the rage with women though. Something about sex / romance / love.

I am confused. I think it was written by a man, who actually listened to women.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2021 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I think it was written by a man, who actually listened to women.

HUH ?????

Men do that ? Since when ? I never got that memo.

railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you asked what we do......
I retired 2.5 years ago, and have had a few "adventures" as far as hobbies go.
It started out by building black powder rifle kits...... got up to 7 of them, and got bored again.... heheh.

I then moved to computers..... eh, repair one, you repaired them all lol.
At one time I had 7 iMacs and 6 laptops..... got bored again.

Decided to move to drones.... still love flying my drones, but at one time had 6 of them, and got bored, so sold 3 of them and kept the ones I truly enjoy flying....

Well drones are pretty much flying cameras, so I began doing video's and posting them for friends and family to enjoy, but..... they needed background music to make them whole, so....

I got back into creating music.
I had played keyboards in a few bands back in the late 60's and mid 70's, but just keyboards was not enough.

I THEN DISCOVERED DAW'S! (Digital Audio Workstations).

The fantastic thing about these are you do not even need to know how to play (but it does help) and you can get your musical creativity out.
Most of mine are, as my wife likes to say, "PBS background music" (she is a "disco queen" from the 70's), so no appreciation for finer music..... heheh.

I use Magix Music Maker, Air Ignite, Reaper DAW, and Garage Band from Apple (the only reason I wanted an iMac)..... I have only one iMac now just for music creation.
So, if you have music in you, and do not know yet how to play, but feel creative, try it with these!

This is a link to my SoundCloud stuff.
I create for me and only me but like to share. Not looking for fame nor fortune, I just enjoy the creation aspect.....
All of the songs in this search were "created" by me with the exception of "Quake Railshot" which I like anyways.....
If the song has a full drum beat to it, I used the "creation" software to make it. No drums, that is purely me.
Heheh, my rhythm is pathetic....

Other than that I would have to say do what you have never done but always wanted to do (within limits of course..... heheh).

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=railshot

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 01-30-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

I got back into creating music.
I had played keyboards in a few bands back in the late 60's and mid 70's, but just keyboards was not enough.

The fantastic thing about these are you do not even need to know how to play (but it does help) and you can get your musical creativity out.
Most of mine are, as my wife likes to say, "PBS background music" (she is a "disco queen" from the 70's), so no appreciation for finer music..... heheh.

I use Magix Music Maker, Air Ignite, Reaper DAW, and Garage Band from Apple (the only reason I wanted an iMac)..... I have only one iMac now just for music creation.
So, if you have music in you, and do not know yet how to play, but feel creative, try it with these!

I create for me and only me but like to share. Not looking for fame nor fortune, I just enjoy the creation aspect.....
All of the songs in this search were "created" by me with the exception of "Quake Railshot" which I like anyways.....
If the song has a full drum beat to it, I used the "creation" software to make it. No drums, that is purely me.
Heheh, my rhythm is pathetic....

Other than that I would have to say do what you have never done but always wanted to do (within limits of course..... heheh).

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=railshot

Very nice!

All done with a MIDI keyboard?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone must walk their own path. I’ve seen Ys in the road before. This one appears to be more like a spiderweb with thousands of different options. Just curious as to the direction others have taken.

Rams
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Very nice!

All done with a MIDI keyboard?

Thanks williegoat, coming from you that is a huge compliment.

Yes, all midi keyboard with some sound loops.
I still have fun with it and it lets me feel creative.

My drones and my music turned out to be a terrific combination to occupy my need to create.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice. Quite nice.
Don't feel bad about the "disco queen" thing. Back then, my wife preferred (by her own admission) lesbian folk singers.
This while I was listening to INXS, The Clash, Cramps, B52s, King Crimson (which "Back Into It" kind of reminds me of), etc. And most anything "prog".
With that said, she can listen to most anything that comes around on my iPod's playlist except Primus and ELP.

Edit - since you're into "computer managed" audio creation... Have you ever listened to "Showtime", created by forum member Savagery?
It was originally named "Paradise Lost", but was renamed and became the theme song for the 20th show. It and one of his others are also in the rotation in my playlist.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-30-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks williegoat, coming from you that is a huge compliment.

Yes, all midi keyboard with some sound loops.
I still have fun with it and it lets me feel creative.

My drones and my music turned out to be a terrific combination to occupy my need to create.

People are making 'side money' around here, making videos and still shots for real estate sales by drone. Even interior pics.

All the pics at the link below were taken by drone. It's the property immediately to the North of me. I was over there the day they did the photography.

https://www.har.com/homedet...and-tx-77328/5907905

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

People are making 'side money' around here, making videos and still shots for real estate sales by drone. Even interior pics.

All the pics at the link below were taken by drone. It's the property immediately to the North of me. I was over there the day they did the photography.

Yep, one of the contractors that came to look at my roof brought his drone with him. He didn't even climb up to look. Showed me all the problem areas from the ground.
He didn't get the job due his quote being way high compared to other contractors but, it sure was cool not having to climb up on the roof. (He did have an extension ladder on his truck rack just in case but, it wasn't needed.)
I seriously considered getting one of these drones (to play with) but after thinking about it decided it would just get me into trouble. All I would need to do is to get it in the general vicinity of my neighbor's pool and stuff would hit the fan. Decided it wasn't worth it. I don't need that kind of trouble. She's already called the sheriff on me once (or was it twice about her damn trees).

Rams

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was it her trees that got you in trouble or was it her bush?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was it her trees that got you in trouble or was it her bush?

To my knowledge, there are no bushes on her property. But, I haven't looked and am not interested in knowing. Her frigg'n trees were keeping me from accessing my easement.
That simply wasn't gonna work. Her trees have now been trimmed. Hopefully, they will soon become my trees.
One thing I have learned in life is that fences make for good neighbors. Build them on the property line, tall and do it so they stay put for a very long time.

Rams

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2021 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bushes on her property, HUH ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui-zBq-f5XA

DAMN, dude, at your age !!!!!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Bushes on her property, HUH ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui-zBq-f5XA

DAMN, dude, at your age !!!!!

That video just reinforces my belief that the only good things to come out of the '80s were Ronald Reagan and the Pontiac Fiero.
The '60s had Bubble Gum, the '70s had Disco and the '80s had MTV. And people wonder why I gave up on pop music.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One thing I have learned in life is that fences make for good neighbors. Build them on the property line, tall and do it so they stay put for a very long time.

Rams

I am a little more exacting than "Build the fence on the property line". Even if all the neighboring property is close family.

Inches and fractions of an inch count when fencing is concerned.
I want the posts and the wire (or wood) to be on my side, with the property line itself running exactly on the outside of the wire or posts, depending if you are fencung something in as opposed to fencing something out.

I don't want some jackleg neighbor coming along later saying:
'Well, I'm gonna put up a different kind of fence."

'Fine, but you cant mess with my fence. It's completely on my property"

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-30-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am a little more exacting than "Build the fence on the property line". Even if all the neighboring property is close family.

Inches and fractions of an inch count when fencing is concerned.
I want the posts and the wire (or wood) to be on my side, with the property line itself running exactly on the outside of the wire or posts, depending if you are fencung something in as opposed to fencing something out.

I don't want some jackleg neighbor coming along later saying:
'Well, I'm gonna put up a different kind of fence."

'Fine, but you cant mess with my fence. It's completely on my property"

Understood and I tend to agree but, I was once advised that once a fence is put in place, after so long, it can be claimed that the fence is the new property line. I suspect that depends on the state laws you're dealing with. Since that point, I've always tried to have a surveyed point and put my fences on top of that point. If, someone wants to debate it, they can talk to the survey company. Up to this point, I've never been challenged on where I put those fences. But, there was a time prior to that where I had to move a fence. I don't want to ever do that again. So, you may have a very valid point.

Rams

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can be, IF the survey doesn't contest it. Here anyway.
It is extremely important to always maintain the corner driven iron survey markers thru the decades.
The survey of this property has not changed since it was still done in Spanish varas. 1 vara=33 1/3" (River metes and bounds being an exception..center of channel is legal property line on my East side)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-30-2021).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as making money with my drones, the FAA is pretty strict on doing that without a part 107 license.

I have been offered jobs, but no motivation to go pro with it..... heheh, actually, it would become a "job" then, not just a hobby.
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

railshot

1310 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Nice. Quite nice.
Don't feel bad about the "disco queen" thing. Back then, my wife preferred (by her own admission) lesbian folk singers.
This while I was listening to INXS, The Clash, Cramps, B52s, King Crimson (which "Back Into It" kind of reminds me of), etc. And most anything "prog".
With that said, she can listen to most anything that comes around on my iPod's playlist except Primus and ELP.

Edit - since you're into "computer managed" audio creation... Have you ever listened to "Showtime", created by forum member Savagery?
It was originally named "Paradise Lost", but was renamed and became the theme song for the 20th show. It and one of his others are also in the rotation in my playlist.

Thanks Raydar, I will for sure check into "Showtime".
I am glad others are enjoying my stuff...... heheh, like I said, I create for me and me only, but if others like it, all the better!

Sorry to somewhat hijack this post, just showing what others can do when allowed the time to do what they love when retired......

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 01-30-2021).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find something, a hobby, a job, or "jobby" if you will that you've always been interested in, but never knew ANYTHING about.

Learn it, from the ground up. Don't have a teacher? The internet can teach you anything. (even things you don't want to know)

Can't afford the tools and equipment? Learn how to build it from scratch. Your first one stinks? Build a better one. Woodworking? Buy old tools and rebuild them. Music? Build your own instruments. Tired of them, or need more space? Sell them and recoup your expenses.

Shoot, with the collective brainpower of this forum to help, very few things are off limits.

Just try to avoid building or doing anything that will get you killed. Or arrested.

Blacksmithing? Juggling?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This while I was listening to INXS, ...

Have a listen to Kenny Wayne Sheppard.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2021 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Railshot, that's great. I like the variety of musical styles you've experimented with. I had played around with something similar ten years ago on a Windows platform. It was Mixcraft 5 (I only "remember" because I searched through an old hard drive today). I believe the latest version is now Mixcraft 9.

Back about 2011, my (now ex)girlfriend's young teenaged daughter was getting into music, so I downloaded and installed Mixcraft 5 onto the family's PC, thinking that she might be able to create backing tracks for her guitar playing. I played around with the program so that I could give her some pointers, and I was amazed with what it could do. Some knowledge of music is definitely beneficial, but as you've indicated, not absolutely necessary.

I still have the one "demonstration" song I created with that program saved as a WAV file. Maybe I should upload it and give the O/T crew here something to tease me about... although heck, it isn't terrible... IMO.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2021 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know a retired wildfire fighter that went to work part time delivering/hauling bumper pull and gooseneck trailers to different parts of the country from Va.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2021 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have enrolled in online Constitution classes from Hillsdale College. Getting a refresher coarse from my old polysci days.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock