Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Did something different this weekend, Rode the Rails.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Did something different this weekend, Rode the Rails. by blackrams
Started on: 10-12-2020 06:22 PM
Replies: 31 (415 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 10-14-2020 11:09 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My Brother In Law is into this, he's been trying to get me to go with him for a couple of years.

They (or he) calls it a Speeder Adventure.
There were 30 of these "motor cars" or as they call them Speeders, not all are shown. This run occurred in Central Alabama but, they travel all over the country. My BIL has two versions, a narrow gauge Speeder for the Colorado and mountainous areas and a Standard gauge version for (I guess) everywhere else. His both have two cylinder (two stroke) horizontally opposed engines, I think they are belt drive.

We rode the rails about 60 miles one way, then about 70 miles back then returned to the original starting location. Got up to a blinding speed of about 36 miles per hour.
Saw a lot of country only the train folks get to see normally. It was a nice time. Not something I would invest my money in. Too restrictive on where and when you can do it.

Yes, this was a sanctioned event, the rail road folks were there, we were all masked up and during the safety briefing we all stood at least 6 feet apart.

I did find it interesting at how close our use/timing was to a freight train rolling through on the same tracks. We dismounted the last Speeder off the tracks with a good 2 minutes to spare before a train with about 40 cars came barreling through. Was fun and will probably do it again.
Just thought I'd share my "different" adventure with you.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-12-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds like a really good time!
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty wild.. never heard of such a thing!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of these "Speeders" are retired/restored rail inspection or rail work crew transports. Similar to our Fieros, they are definitely a "niche" thing.

There was one there that was for sale. It was a much bigger version, looked like it would haul six folks. My BIL also has a rail "trailer" he could pull but, why if you're not needing to haul something.
Edited: BTW, every car is required to carry a tow/push bar with pins just in case of break down. It's up to each "crew" to keep the car behind them in sight in case of a break down but, all cars were also able to push using the bar. A car three or four cars in front of us broke down and had to be towed back in. Was fun and looking forward to my next adventure.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-13-2020).]

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2020 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen it, but didn't know you could travel that far. Sounds pretty fun.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

I've seen it, but didn't know you could travel that far. Sounds pretty fun.

My BIL has told me of rail trips of over a hundred miles one way. I assume it is dependent on how long the rail roads will let you go. Obviously, freight and work trains/crews have priority.

He has another adventure planned for next weekend in Northern Alabama and then two next month. If I remember correctly, I think he said W VA and PA.

Rams

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is like canoeing for gear heads. I like it!
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

All of these "Speeders" are retired/restored rail inspection or rail work crew transports.

I couldn't visualize what these things look like when we talked about it.

Now that I see them they look like a grungy little Tuk Tuk....only smaller.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 10-13-2020).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assume it all dependent on how long the rail roads will let you go. Obviously, freight and work trains/crews have priority.

I would guess it must've been on a quiet short line of some sort, without much traffic. The big railroads (CSX, BNSF, Norfolk Southern etc) are increasingly unwilling to let other organizations onto their tracks unless they have enormous insurance policies.

On the other hand, there are people who ride these speeders on abandoned railroad lines. Or, sometimes they use bikes with special "outriggers" with railroad wheels. No worries about opposing train traffic, but the dangers come from hitting fallen trees, washed out tracks, collapsed bridges.... Lots of interesting videos on the Youtube.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured Ron was riding the rails thusly.

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happened to see one of these "speeders" this past weekend at a trian museum. These look like a fun contraption, in that one person can lift/mount the speeder on the rails. The one I saw was powered by an Onan engine simliar to a motor home generator generator engine. The machine looked dead simple to operate, after looking it over for two minuets I bet I could have operated it with no prior knowledge or instruction.

I would venture to guess that this is actually a cheap hobby to get into after you purchase the speeder itself. It appears all you would need is light duty ( single axle) utility trailer form a box store and could tow these with a standard mid size SUV. I would doubt that there are beauty completion, so I would doubt there is much of a modification crowd for these ( and less opportunit y to spend money).
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

I happened to see one of these "speeders" this past weekend at a trian museum. These look like a fun contraption, in that one person can lift/mount the speeder on the rails. The one I saw was powered by an Onan engine simliar to a motor home generator generator engine. The machine looked dead simple to operate, after looking it over for two minuets I bet I could have operated it with no prior knowledge or instruction.

I would venture to guess that this is actually a cheap hobby to get into after you purchase the speeder itself. It appears all you would need is light duty ( single axle) utility trailer form a box store and could tow these with a standard mid size SUV. I would doubt that there are beauty completion, so I would doubt there is much of a modification crowd for these ( and less opportunit y to spend money).

I would agree.

My only issue is, this is not a hobby one can simply decide to go take a ride on. When and where you can take your Speeder is limited to these organized runs unless you happen to have access to an abandoned track. Unlike our Fieros or my Valkyrie motorcycle adventures. Once you've got a running and reliable Speeder, the biggest costs that I can see is going to the runs. Fuel, food and hotel expenses would be most of the cost. But then, just as with Fiero and motorcycle group gatherings, a lot of the fun is in being with folks of similar interests. While I didn't see any parking lot tire kicking, there was no doubt some story telling/lying going on.

Rams

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31839 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Having been asked a few questions (in this thread and by PM), I relayed those questions to my BIL. This is his response.

Ron - Feel free to forward this info on, we’re always looking for new members. A friend of mine is writing some “introduction to the hobby” information and I would be happy to get this and forward on to anyone who has interest.

Regarding the engine in my speeder – It is a Fairmont RK-B twin cylinder, 950cc, 15 HP at 2000 RPM, designed and produced by Fairmont in Minnesota, beginning in 1955. Two stoke with two speeds – flat out, and broke down. Fairmont made over 70K motorcars from 1911 – 1980’s, but only about 2000 or so had this particular two cylinder engine, which was intended for places with bigger hills or high winds. All three of my motorcars have this same engine. I like it but some hate it since they can be difficult to start and hard to manage once started. I included a couple of photos of one of my RKB engines & also one from when I was installing it (for the second time) in my narrow gage motorcar, you can see how large the engine is compared to the 36” wheelbase M19 motorcar.

Generally, from smaller to larger, Fairmont had motorcars that were as small as 32” wheelbase (M-9), up to 96” wheelbase for the largest (A-8) cars they made. Here is a link to the specifications –

http://home.pcisys.net/~gle...g/motorcartypes.html

Most two stroke powered motorcars had single cylinder engines that look like mine, but without the rear cylinder. These have 6-7 HP and are very common, there were 3 or 4 of these out of the cars on our ride the other day. The two stroke engines are made to run in either direction, simply by moving the timing lever. With its belt drive, you can reverse the car without the need for a transmission.

The other type of engine that Fairmont used was the two cylinder air cooled Onan engines, similar to the one in that RV generator that you had. These have 16-20 HP and came out sometime in the 1960’s. Fairmont sold motorcars with both the two and four stroke engines up until they ceased production in the early 1980’s. Since you can’t (easily) reverse a 4 stroke engine, the Onan powered cars have a two speed transmission plus reverse, and a chain drive to the rear axle. They use a shift levers and clutch, sometimes on the floor that your right foot engages, sometimes a hand clutch, sometimes both.

Many people have repowered the Onan engines, which are hard to find parts for (and Onan parts are getting expensive), with Honda, Briggs, Kohler, or Predator 2 cylinder engines, usually 16-24HP V-twins. This usually makes them more reliable and some companies produce adaptor kits.

The yellow Woodings car that followed us last weekend, had a single cylinder 16 HP Tecumseh engine with a variable pulley (snowmobile type) torque converter, tied to a transmission which allows you to reverse.

As far as prices go, the car in the video is what I bought at an Auction in St. Louis for $250. I used it as my “donor car” to make the orange narrow gage car pictured above. The “picnic table” M19 car was not running when I got it, but the engine was free (not locked up) and it had good wheels with hardly any wear. I put a good carburetor and a good ignition system on it, along with a battery, and it fired up on the first pull. That car had the single cylinder Fairmont RO-C two stroke engine, which I still have, and I may use at my tractor show displays if I can find a good way to skid it around. The engines are mostly aluminum (as are the vehicles) except for the crankshaft, flywheels, and a few other things.

$250 is about the minimum you’ll find a junk speeder for. On the opposite end, I’ve seen speeders sell for as much as $25,000 for larger cars that are really decked out with air ride suspension and air conditioning. Mine cost $3000, and the guy I bought it from paid $6K for it, all in $50 bills. A good running NARCOA ready 2 stroke car will cost around $2K-6K for a two stroke car, $3 - $10K for an Onan powered car. The Onan cars are heavier and many have turntables, which makes it easier to turn when you get to the end of your run. They are popular and sell quickly.

Here are the two popular websites for buying and selling motorcars, this is where I found my car in 2017. I drove to Idaho to pick it up, then turned around and drove to Albuquerque for the trailer.

https://www.narcoa.org/forsale/4sale_want.htm

http://www.railspeeders.com/wantads/wantads.asp

Should anyone wish for further information, I'll be happy to put you in contact with my BIL, Eric is a good guy and a whiz at restoring just about anything. You should see his mancave. Several Porsches, a Jaguar or three, a Range Rover, an antique Mercedes convertible, a 1940 something Indy type race car he found somewhere in Indonesia and all kinds of other stuff.

Rams

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not one of those "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" types on land, so I'd want one with torpedo safe wheels.

How long before Ron gets a speeder frame and engine and puts a Fiero/Pantera body kit on it? hewas going down the rails doing 90 miles an hour when the chain on his speeder car broke. ..
(You could almost make one out of an old garden tractor... )

My father once told me that it was pretty common for people with one of the early narrow width Ford cars, to let most of the air out of the tires at a crossing and just go driving down the tracks instead of the endless succession of muddy ruts and pot holes that passed for roads way back when.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I'm not one of those "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" types on land, so I'd want one with torpedo safe wheels.

How long before Ron gets a speeder frame and engine and puts a Fiero/Pantera body kit on it? hewas going down the rails doing 90 miles an hour when the chain on his speeder car broke. ..
(You could almost make one out of an old garden tractor... )

My father once told me that it was pretty common for people with one of the early narrow width Ford cars, to let most of the air out of the tires at a crossing and just go driving down the tracks instead of the endless succession of muddy ruts and pot holes that passed for roads way back when.

Won't be doing any Speeder conversions this life time. Maybe next.

In my younger (dumber) days, we used to deflate the tires on a couple of different cars our group had so we could get to a favorite fishing and skinny dipping hole. We pretty much knew the train schedule on that line. But, one never knows for sure.

Rams
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2020 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like fun. Around here the rail crews use regular pick-up trucks with drop down train coaster wheels, if that makes any sense. They just drive on thge track, drop these wheels down and off they go. Power still comes from the truck wheels, the drop-downs just keep it centered on the track.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Looks like fun. Around here the rail crews use regular pick-up trucks with drop down train coaster wheels, if that makes any sense. They just drive on thge track, drop these wheels down and off they go. Power still comes from the truck wheels, the drop-downs just keep it centered on the track.

All of the cars shown (I was told) are old retired rail property. I doubt there are any left in use. We had a rail equipped truck in front of us and another following the last Speeder.

Rams
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2020 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dear Sir,
In my opinion, this is the best thread of 2020!
Well done!

Really really great stuff!
More, more, more!
Viva La exploration!

Thank you!
Boondawg

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Dear Sir,
In my opinion, this is the best thread of 2020!
Well done!

Really really great stuff!
More, more, more!
Viva La exploration!

Thank you!
Boondawg

Thank you for your comments, just wanting to share the adventure. I learned a few things and had a good time.

BTW, that 2 stroke horizontal engine fires when both cylinders are Top Dead Center (at the same time). I still don't understand that concept but my BIL has rebuilt three of them and they do PUTT PUTT right along.

Rams
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW, that 2 stroke horizontal engine fires when both cylinders are Top Dead Center (at the same time). I still don't understand that concept but my BIL has rebuilt three of them and they do PUTT PUTT right along.

Rams

You have never seen the starter motor in an ME-262?

In every horizontally opposed twin that I have ever seen, the pistons reach TDC at the same time. Otherwise they would shake like a paint mixer. Think VW and BMW.
A two stroke fires (probably a few degrees before) the top, every time. (I know you know that)
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

In every horizontally opposed twin that I have ever seen, the pistons reach TDC at the same time. Otherwise they would shake like a paint mixer. Think VW and BMW.
A two stroke fires (probably a few degrees before) the top, every time. (I know you know that)

I guess not. Had to look an ME 262 up to see what it was. Was a bit before my time in a cockpit.
But, I see what you mean about the paint shaker. Makes sense now.

The only piston powered helicopter I ever flew was powered by a horizontal six with the power transferred to the rotor transmission via 6 V Belts. They said the bird would fly with as little as two in an emergency but, who really wants to find out if that's true.

Rams

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some flat sixes are boxers and some are 180o Vs. Which is the Valk?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2020 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess not. Had to look an ME 262 up to see what it was. Was a bit before my time in a cockpit.
But, I see what you mean about the paint shaker. Makes sense now.

The only piston powered helicopter I ever flew was powered by a horizontal six with the power transferred to the rotor transmission via 6 V Belts. They said the bird would fly with as little as two in an emergency but, who really wants to find out if that's true.

Rams

What they didnt tell you about belt drives, is when the first one fails, it gets sucked in and takes all the rest of them with it !
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some flat sixes are boxers and some are 180o Vs. Which is the Valk?

The Valkyrie engine is a boxer. Smoothest engine I've ever seen.

The Valkyrie Nickel Trick proves what many can't believe. I've done it myself.
Take a gander at any of the offered videos at this link.

https://www.bing.com/search...46faa9066f8a7693d2d4

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The engine being discussed is a flat plane 6 but it is not an opposed piston engine. OP engines have no cylinder heads, 2 pistons share 1 cylinder space, and the 2 pistons in each cylinder are crown to crown and are exactly opposed to each other.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The engine being discussed is a flat plane 6 but it is not an opposed piston engine. OP engines have no cylinder heads, 2 pistons share 1 cylinder space, and the 2 pistons in each cylinder are crown to crown and are exactly opposed to each other.

Seems like I learn something on this forum almost daily. As usual, maryjane being the source for much of that.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See Cummins' new ACE (advanced combat engine) or Achates engine.
https://www.trucks.com/2018...ramco-pickup-engine/

Fairbanks tho, has historically been the king of the opposed piston engine.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know you are right. I learned the term incorrectly when I was a kid and still misapply it out of habit. We discussed the Napier Deltic here recently.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-14-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009

The Valkyrie Nickel Trick proves what many can't believe. I've done it myself.
Take a gander at any of the offered videos at this link.

https://www.bing.com/search...46faa9066f8a7693d2d4

Rams

When you posted that a few years ago, I made my own video response: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-6-091547.html
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you posted that a few years ago, I made my own video response: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-6-091547.html

Yep, I got a laugh out of that. Thanks for reminding me.

Rams

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock