Started on: 07-07-2017 10:21 PM
Replies: 44 (954 views)
Last post by: dratts on 10-23-2017 11:28 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I KNOW I started a similar thread a while back but I can't find it so I'll start another.

I'm about to change to a new cell phone company which means a new cell phone. I've narrowed it down to two, the iPhone 7+ (128 or 256GB) or the LG G6. Both have excellent specs and great reviews. Both are also the same monthly price (only because there's a special deal on the iPhone and the 128GB version is cheaper than the LG). With the iPhone, I also get an additional $100 back so, strictly from a monetary view, the iPhone is a better deal. However......

I've ALWAYS had an Android (other than the few months (years ago) when I had a BB). The only Apple product I've had is an iPad. I started out with a 1st gen iPad and have since moved on to my current iPad Air 2 (the generation just before the current Pro line). I like the iPad.

I like the fact that I can customize an Android phone (I currently have a Nexus 6P) to do and/or look pretty much any way I want. Assuming the iPhone is similar to the iPad, about the only thing I can customize is the location of the icons. I know everything iStuff is solidly built and gets an A in the fast and reliable categories (maybe on the Android depending on a carriers bloatware). (Does an iPhone come with a bunch of bloatware from a carrier?) My Nexus gets monthly security updates as well as a new OS as soon as it comes out. I don't know how often an iPhone gets updated. (Is it based on carrier or straight from Apple? Nexus comes straight from Google.) My iPad has never had a security update although it gets OS updates immediately. It's NOT tied to a carrier. The iPhone offers wifi calling although it's not carrier supported yet. The LG doesn't have that feature built in.

I'm going to make a decision this weekend but was hoping to get some thoughts and opinions before I choose. I've watched endless YouTube reviews of both. What I want are thoughts and opinions of YOU guys/gals. YOU aren't paid by either Apple or Google so YOUR thoughts/opinions actually count. Anyone switch from Android to Apple? Was it a good experience? Is there anything you miss about Android? Has anyone switched from Apple to Android?

Thanks, peeps.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
WBailey1041

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I KNOW I started a similar thread a while back but I can't find it so I'll start another.

I'm about to change to a new cell phone company which means a new cell phone. I've narrowed it down to two, the iPhone 7+ (128 or 256GB) or the LG G6. Both have excellent specs and great reviews. Both are also the same monthly price (only because there's a special deal on the iPhone and the 128GB version is cheaper than the LG). With the iPhone, I also get an additional $100 back so, strictly from a monetary view, the iPhone is a better deal. However......

I've ALWAYS had an Android (other than the few months (years ago) when I had a BB). The only Apple product I've had is an iPad. I started out with a 1st gen iPad and have since moved on to my current iPad Air 2 (the generation just before the current Pro line). I like the iPad.

I like the fact that I can customize an Android phone (I currently have a Nexus 6P) to do and/or look pretty much any way I want. Assuming the iPhone is similar to the iPad, about the only thing I can customize is the location of the icons. I know everything iStuff is solidly built and gets an A in the fast and reliable categories (maybe on the Android depending on a carriers bloatware). (Does an iPhone come with a bunch of bloatware from a carrier?) My Nexus gets monthly security updates as well as a new OS as soon as it comes out. I don't know how often an iPhone gets updated. (Is it based on carrier or straight from Apple? Nexus comes straight from Google.) My iPad has never had a security update although it gets OS updates immediately. It's NOT tied to a carrier. The iPhone offers wifi calling although it's not carrier supported yet. The LG doesn't have that feature built in.

I'm going to make a decision this weekend but was hoping to get some thoughts and opinions before I choose. I've watched endless YouTube reviews of both. What I want are thoughts and opinions of YOU guys/gals. YOU aren't paid by either Apple or Google so YOUR thoughts/opinions actually count. Anyone switch from Android to Apple? Was it a good experience? Is there anything you miss about Android? Has anyone switched from Apple to Android?

Thanks, peeps.

I switched from android to Apple years ago. I will not go back. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 and iPhone 7 Plus. They work together seamlessly.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never thought about the iPad working with the iPhone.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, iPhone updates come from Apple and often require the phone to be connected through your Apple ID to wifi or to your iTunes install. I have never had one require me to connect to the carriers website in some way.

My first smartphone was a Android and I loved it. I still have fond memories of that phone. Because of the first my second was again, Android. However, I began noticing somethings I did not like occurring to the Android based smartphones. When I decided to upgrade again I figured I'd give a iPhone a try. Like with my first Android, I loved the iPhone. Sadly, that phone got water damage when I was in Grand Cayman last ( my fault ) and ended up having the camera go bad along with the silent/audible switching circuit randomly changing on it's own. Having the ringer randomly turn off became very problematic for me so looking at replacement phones I thought "Well, I know i like the iPhone but I liked that Android I first got too so maybe that second was just a fluke." So I started looking at Android phones again. Not having enough to really buy another iPhone, I went ahead and bought a Android. I instantly saw things that I had forgotten had only gotten worse. I hated it so much that I couldn't wait to get a iPhone again. Thankfully one of my daughters was willing to suffer the Android and let me swap with her for her iPhone. As soon as I could I bought a new iPhone for myself. I bought the iPhone SE, which is basically the 6+ in the 5 chassis with a higher resolution screen. I prefer a smaller phone so it's easier to keep in my pocket.

Basically, I prefer iPhone over Android. Even with the iOS updates, I have not seen the issues I have seen on Androids pop up. It just works and it works well.

The main issues I noticed in my second Android was functions that "I" thought should be built in were omitted and required an App to get them. Things like a call block list for example. There was also the beginning of bloatware that annoyed me. The last Android I had took those things to new heights. Now not only did I have a massive amount of bloatware, but none of it was ad free unless I wanted to buy it. Not only was the call block no longer part of the Android software, but texting and voicemail was not either. Instead I had a app for texting and another app for voicemail that came installed on the phone but in order to use them without ads, I had to buy them. I didn't buy the phone to have to pay for every little function the phone should already have in it's software so that I could get them without ads.

I don't ever plan to own another Android. There is nothing customize-able on a Android that I miss when using my iPhone. If there was any carrier specific bloatware ( Sprint Music and such ) on the iPhones I've had, then I don't recall it because I can't find any when I check now. Is there a weather app already? Yes, but it's Apple not Accu Weather or the Weather Channel and so on. Can I install Accu Weather if I want to? Yes I can. About the only thing I find annoying from time to time is some functions are not screen position adapting. Go in to setting and it will only display in vertical screen orientation no matter how you hold your phone for example. Small price to skip the headaches I got from Android.

This is all just my opinion and I know there are others who love Android and it's "flexibility." I can understand that and respect their decision. It's just not the decision I made.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-07-2017).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

First, iPhone updates come from Apple and often require the phone to be connected through your Apple ID to wifi or to your iTunes install. I have never had one require me to connect to the carriers website in some way.

It just works and it works well.

If there was any carrier specific bloatware ( Sprint Music and such ) on the iPhones I've had, then I don't recall it because I can't find any when I check now.

Updates straight from Apple makes sense and is definitely a plus. I've had a few Samsung phones. Not only were they absolutely FILLED with bloatware but I was doing well getting 2 or 3 updates per year. Since vanilla Android had to go through Samsung, it would be months behind. When I got Android 5.x, it was almost a year after it was released. That's one of the things I like about my Nexus. Since it gets it's updates directly from Google, I get security updates monthly and I get the new OS within days or weeks of it being released.

"It just works and it works well." That has always been one of the huge advantages of Apple/iAnything.

I had/have some Apple bloatware on my iPad but since it's mine (and not tied to a carrier), I could get rid of some of them. Unfortunately, since I didn't actually root the iPad, every time I plugged into the PC via iTunes, it would reinstall most of them. I don't think any of them significantly slow down the iPad but I can't permanently remove them from the screen like I could if it was Android based. When I only use 2/3 of them, it starts to get a bit cluttered.

Thanks for the thoughts/opinion.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im happy enough with my Galaxy android. It didnt have a call blocker at all, but apparently some update it received now gives me that option called 'call reject'. It works great since telemarketers calls went from 10 a day to 'maybe' 1 a week. I do like simple things like being able to switch batteries or change the SD card without leaving it at a store for them to do for $100. My sister has an IPhone and it needs some things apparently like a youtube update to keep working properly and she says beside leaving her phone for a day or so, when she does other things go haywire. I think hers is like 2 years old. I cant see spending $800 a year just to have a newest version phone. Ive had the Galaxy III for about 3-4 years and only problem was breaking the glass once. I never broke a flip phone in 15 years of use. I had a flip Casio Boulder for over 7 years without a single problem...never even needed the battery replaced.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been using iPhones for at least eight years now and prefer them to the Android/Windows based phones. There is a limited amount of bloatware on my iPhones (six in the family on my plan) and I regularly get OS updates through my home WIFI network. You are notified of the OS upgrade availability and have a choice as to whether or not to accept it or keep your old OS in service. BTW, it is nice to note that the iPhone operating frequencies are compatible with use during international travel. My previous non iPhones were hit or miss in this area but I do not know what current Android/Windows technology offers in this area. iPhone backups to either the Cloud or a local PC are easily accomplished through iTunes.

I like most of the iPhone features and will keep purchasing them until something better comes out.

Nelson
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I do like simple things like being able to switch batteries or change the SD card without leaving it at a store for them to do for $100. My sister has an IPhone and it needs some things apparently like a youtube update to keep working properly and she says beside leaving her phone for a day or so, when she does other things go haywire. I think hers is like 2 years old. I cant see spending $800 a year just to have a newest version phone.

I've changed the battery on my kids iPhones before. It was like $8.00 or less on eBay for a kit that came with the 5 point tool to take it apart. It was pretty easy and not a $100 job. The SD card though, yes that is one thing I'd like to have but I can live without. Just don't buy a 16GB phone if you want to have a lot of apps and room for videos and such. My wife's 6S+ is 128GB and she, who has a bunch of apps ad pics and such, has not come close to running out of storage yet.

The Youtube needing a update is the same with any OS. Eventually the app gets old and in order for it to be usable in newer OS's they update it. These changes effect older versions to as changes aren't just made on the user side but also server side. If you have automatic updates turned on, you probably had app's update to newer versions without ever knowing. But the app needing a update to work is normal. The "going haywire" sounds like she did something to damage the phone like what I did with my iPhone 4 down in Grand Cayman.

$800 every year to get the newest version? I still had a iPhone 4 when the iPhone 6S+ was top of the line. That's 2 whole generations back, 4 if you count the 2 different versions of 5 and 2 different versions of 6, and it was still working fine. The only issue I really had was the internet was slow and that would be the same with that old of a Android as well if it didn't have the hardware, not software, that can take advantage of the newer faster internet connections like 4G and such. You don't have to have the "newest version" for it to work, people do that because they like iPhones that much. They WANT the newest one so they can play with the newest features the old phone doesn't have the hardware to support. Try using an induction charger on a old Galaxy S3 and see how it goes. If the phone doesn't have the hardware to support it, changes in the OS to allow using it won't mean a thing. Same with a iPhone. If a newer feature comes out that requires hardware, not just software, to work and the phone doesn't have that hardware then you have to get a newer phone with that hardware to take advantage of that new feature. You can still update the iOS and take advantage of any new features that are just software based though. That does bring up one annoyance I have with the new version of iOs on my phone though. It used to be home button and swipe to unlock the phone. Now it's home button twice to unlock and that trips me up. Eventually I will get used to it though.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-08-2017).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I never broke a flip phone in 15 years of use. I had a flip Casio Boulder for over 7 years without a single problem...never even needed the battery replaced.

I hear ya, Agent Gibbs.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by Khw:

My wife's 6S+ is 128GB and she, who has a bunch of apps ad pics and such, has not come close to running out of storage yet.

If a newer feature comes out that requires hardware, not just software, to work and the phone doesn't have that hardware then you have to get a newer phone with that hardware to take advantage of that new feature. You can still update the iOS and take advantage of any new features that are just software based though.

That does bring up one annoyance I have with the new version of iOs on my phone though. It used to be home button and swipe to unlock the phone. Now it's home button twice to unlock and that trips me up. Eventually I will get used to it though.

I miss the ability to add a microSD card to a phone. That feature is quickly going away. My current Nexus 6P doesn't have it. That's one of the pluses of the LG. It only has 32GB internal memory but it's got a microSD card slot so you could (with enough $$) add a 2TB card. If I went with the iPhone, I was planning on getting the 256GB version then I thought, I only have the 128GB version of my 6P and I probably have 80GB free. 128 is plenty.

New features needing HARDWARE. Yup. My 6P has the hardware to make wifi calls. I hadn't realized that wasn't "normal". The iPhone has the hardware and the LG doesn't. If the carrier ever decides to bring wifi calling nationwide, it just wouldn't happen with the LG, period.

Funny you should bring this up. It's all about what you're used to. I was watching one of a myriad of iPhone YouTube videos last night. One of them talked about how annoying it was that the new iPhone home button/fingerprint scanner 1) wasn't an actual button and 2) had the "odd" haptic feedback. I thought, that's exactly how the fingerprint scanner on the back of my 6P has ALWAYS been. Nothing for me to get used to or annoyed about. Just the opposite. The home button/fingerprint scanner on my iPad IS an actual button with NO haptic feedback. THAT feels odd when I use it.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by hnthomps:

...limited amount of bloatware on my iPhones...
...operating frequencies are compatible with use during international travel.
iPhone backups to either the Cloud or a local PC are easily accomplished through iTunes.

Nice to know about the limited bloatware. If it was MY phone (bought and paid for), I'd jail break it just to get rid of any residual bloat.

Regarding int'l travel...that's good as I fly a small plane down to Columbia on a regular basis to.................that doesn't matter.

Any wireless way to connect to the PC to transfer pics, etc? Android has AirDroid. Install that on both the computer (browser based) and the phone (app) and I can connect via wifi. I can't remember a time when I plugged in my phone just to d/l some pics to the computer. SUPER handy as I don't have to dick around with finding the right cable, moving stuff around to access the computer, waiting on a program to load (iTunes seems to take FOREVER to load on my computer and my computer is new and FAST...it's the program), etc.
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Nice to know about the limited bloatware. If it was MY phone (bought and paid for), I'd jail break it just to get rid of any residual bloat.

Regarding int'l travel...that's good as I fly a small plane down to Columbia on a regular basis to.................that doesn't matter.

Any wireless way to connect to the PC to transfer pics, etc? Android has AirDroid. Install that on both the computer (browser based) and the phone (app) and I can connect via wifi. I can't remember a time when I plugged in my phone just to d/l some pics to the computer. SUPER handy as I don't have to dick around with finding the right cable, moving stuff around to access the computer, waiting on a program to load (iTunes seems to take FOREVER to load on my computer and my computer is new and FAST...it's the program), etc.

I can download (automatic or manual) photos from my iPhone to Google over my home WIFI. I have just started doing that but it is a nice feature.

Nelson

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I can download (automatic or manual) photos from my iPhone to Google over my home WIFI. I have just started doing that but it is a nice feature.

Nelson

Thanks. It's looking like I'll probably join the iPhone ranks.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

For options and customization, Android wins.

Also, while apple products work with some other equipment, I've found that the poor implementation of the TCP suite, as well as hardware limitations cause all sorts of compatibility issues. Many wireless APs do not work with iphones. The iphones aren't able to use certain security algorythims. Aggregation is just a complete failure. Yeah, updates. It's gonna be a while.

Oddly, the biggest complaint from apple people about Android is the physical size. I've always found the iphone to be too small.

First sentence...I couldn't agree more. You completely lost me on the 2nd paragraph. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. As far as the physical size, my 6P has a 5.7" screen. The iPhone 7+ has a 5.5" screen. I might notice, I might not. Pretty close. You ARE referring to the new iPhones (7 & 7+), right? Not sure how much improvement Apple has made since the older phones.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2017 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2017 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've only had a blackberry, then 2 android phones.. the one I have now was bought in 2012.. Both were Motorola brand and haven't had issues with them..
Battery seems to last longer than whatever Apple uses.. As my wife's phones are apple and she goes through 2 phones to my one.. The phone battery not lasting and getting to the point that it need to be on the charger more than off..
Don't know if it's been bad luck or not.. but 4 phones.. have done the same thing.. while my First Motorola is still going, I use it as my alarm clock now.. I charge it once every 14 days or so.. not bad for a phone/unit that is 8 years old..
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2017 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apple products are meant for really stupid people, Steve Jobs had 8 yr olds test them and if/when then couldn't figure it out, he said dumb it down. BTW this was an apple ad, some how thinking this was a selling point. (fact)

So you pick what category you are in.

EDIT to add:apple went to intel CPUs as Motorola stopped making the powerPC CPUs and now apple is an intel based PC with $1000 higher price tag, so you are paying $1000 for iOS.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 07-09-2017).]

Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2017 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Apple products are meant for really stupid people, Steve Jobs had 8 yr olds test them and if/when then couldn't figure it out, he said dumb it down. BTW this was an apple ad, some how thinking this was a selling point. (fact)

So you pick what category you are in.

EDIT to add:apple went to intel CPUs as Motorola stopped making the powerPC CPUs and now apple is an intel based PC with $1000 higher price tag, so you are paying $1000 for iOS.

But I'd be shunned At starbucks if my phone/tablet/computer/notebook, doesn't have that apple logo..
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2017 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Keel:

But I'd be shunned At starbucks if my phone/tablet/computer/notebook, doesn't have that apple logo..

Sounds about right.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2017 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I know this happened with the mouse, leading to the single-button mouse.

I used to support mac people, (never again) I would tell them that I can get them a good 5 button mouse with a wheel, as mac has supported it for years, but not one of them would give up the one button mouse.

To add: Motorola made good PowerPC processors, but they said the mac market was too small, as Motorola was moving into the cell phone market.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have google photos and dropbox. Every photo, video, audio file or download goes in seconds to my phone and all my cmptrs. It will go WiFi or not, as my data plan is unlimited. Dont need an IPhone.

What Im saying about the $800 IPhone (or other) is some people MUST have the newest phone every year and I see that as stupidity. If it does what you need, just keeping the same phone till you wear it out makes a lot more sense. I can spend $800 a year on a lot better things.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

I wimped out and bought another Android. I ended up with the LG G6. I just know Android too well to switch, I guess. (I was 99% convinced to go with an iPhone but just couldn't do it.) My G6 should be here Thursday. Assuming the case, tempered glass screen protector and microSD card are here by then, I'll set up/activate the phone and let everyone know how it does.

Thanks for all the help!
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2017 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest thing that always got me was people with the top-o-line iphone sitting at a bus stop. I'll take a car anyday over a phone.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2017 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

The biggest thing that always got me was people with the top-o-line iphone sitting at a bus stop. I'll take a car anyday over a phone.

You really are hatin' on the iPhone peeps?

I had several Android phones before I switched to the iPhone. I'm not going back. Every phone maker has their own Android version and none of them seemed to work for me. I was probably just too stupid to figure it out at the bus stop.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2017 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[font=Comic Sans MS][/I dont care if an 8 year old is able to operate my phone or how many buttons are on my mouse..font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/I do hate when I have to have a PHD to use a phone or surf the web from it.. font]

I have been using an IPhone for years and never have I ever paid $800 for one...that's just stupid to me to buy a new one every time theres a new model.
I usually stay a model year or two behind And then just hit up E-bay for one.

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 07-11-2017).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2017 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

You really are hatin' on the iPhone peeps?

I had several Android phones before I switched to the iPhone. I'm not going back. Every phone maker has their own Android version and none of them seemed to work for me. I was probably just too stupid to figure it out at the bus stop.

I am not a fan of any phone os, Microsoft should have put a desktop os on phones, not the other way around, a phone os on desktops. Bit apple used to advertise "we are not big brother" now they are the biggest big brother out there
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2017 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2017 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably switching carriers yet again. I'm going to ditch the LG. I'm looking at deals on a couple of phones offered by the new carrier. It looks like the best deals (in the higher end category) are (in no particular order): Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ and iPhone 7+.

My current LG has a 5.7" screen although it's in an odd aspect ratio. The iPhone has a 5.5" screen, the S8 has a 5.8" screen and the S8+ has a 6.2" screen. I think the S8+ is just too big (total size, not screen size). The iPhone has a "normal" aspect ratio while both Samsungs have the same (or similar) odd aspect ratios like my LG.

Screen-to-body ratios on the Samsungs are about the same as my LG (~84%, which is a good thing). Screen-to-body ratio on the iPhone is 67% (NOT a good thing but not a deal breaker).

All 3 phones should be faster than my LG, cameras should be about equivalent.

The displays on all 3 phones would be better than the one on my LG but since Apple has their own technology, it's a little tougher to compare. (I think it has the same type of display as my LG.)

Storage is a wash. The Samsungs have 64GB internal storage but support microSD. The iPhone I would choose has 128GB with no expansion. That's enough for me.

The Samsungs (and my LG) all have wireless charging (which I've gotten used to) while the iPhone would need a separate wireless charging case.

The notorious bloatware on most Samsungs is an annoyance but maybe they've gotten better in the past few years? Can anyone comment on that who has a newer Samsung (preferably the 8/8+)?

Basically, I'm back to where I was when I started this thread. Anybody else want to give me their opinions? Please??
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2017 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, this is an honest opinion from a tech guy. First off, I HATE Google. They went from a search engine to an invasive company that is destroying peoples lives with their monitoring and sharing of private information that it "gathers".

Most people love the Android because it is a Google product, it can be easily tweaked, and it is a global operating system for phones as well as tablets. The downfall is that it is a Google product which is constantly updating and adding useless garbage to itself. The current version of Android 7.0 had a flaw that bricked millions of peoples wifi on their devices. Google didn't give a crap about it, set it as a low priority, and their fix was to wipe out your entire phone and then HOPEFULLY it would work although the operating system still was 7.0 even after a wipeout.

Iphone doesn't use Google unless YOU want to. It is a great phone and I have had many all the way from the start of their production. I have never had one freeze on me, never had one add bloatware from Apple, and any updates appear on the "settings" icon so you can select which ones you apply unlike Google who strongarms you into the updates. Even the Apple OS allows you to either update or not update if you like. If you don't like the OS update, you can back the phone up using Itunes, restore the phone to the original OS, and then restore your backup to the phone and you are off and running. It is a 100% more stable environment than any Android device.

Iphone apps are not allowed into their app store until they are scanned and dissected for malware or viruses. That is the reason why Itunes has less apps than Google. Google doesn't give a crap about security....just money and "hits". The perfect example of malware is a simple flashlight app. Millions of people download them but here is the issue......why does it take a 27mb program to turn on an LED? A flashlight app should be in the kilobyte size....not megabyte size. These are the types of apps that Apple is trying to keep out of their selection. Yes, you don't have a huge catalogue of apps like Google Play, but at least your phone is safe. I cannot tell you how many Android phones I have repaired that have the added bullshit ads and other features that alter the GUI of the phone and cause the user to actually lose functions that they need.

Now with that said, my company LOVES Google because it is one of our accounts so I have no choice but to use a shitty Android phone. Here is a screenshot of my phone. I have 1 game that I downloaded and it is 179mb in size, a few photos and music. The rest is all Google bloatware:

I would 1000% go with the Iphone over Android any day.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-14-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2017 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer android, apple is too restrictive and although the hardware might be great on the apple phones, you can get great hardware on android and you'll pay less.

I'm on a Samsung device now and have been for a few years, I still don't feel the need to replace it but when I do, I'll probably go with something from LG. As the hardware is getting better I've been going much longer between upgrades(I pay cash for phones and have a completely unlimited $40 plan).

As far as Google and privacy issues go, its nearly unavoidable and you should use the device appropriately. Apple gives you a false sense of security which is why people try so hard to hack them and the cloud, people are more likely to keep sedative things on an Iphone.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2017 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I was very happy with my Android. Changed to IPhone when I had family overseas so that we could "FaceTime".

That's been several years ago. Everyone in my family now uses IPhones of one version or another.

I dread getting the IPhone Updates. There's always something new I have to learn or find or, change back. I really dislike being forced to make changes just to make a damn phone call, text or take and send a pic to someone or navigate. I'll admit it, I'm getting older and don't want to put up with crap I don't need. Androids could be the same now, I don't know. What I do know is I sure get tired of carrying that damn big screen phone around. Damn thing will barely fit in my pocket and I can't stand the holsters on my belt.

I sure wish Smith & Wesson would build a weapon that communicates............ Well, you know what I mean, I hope........

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....
Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

I sincerely hope that life is never discovered on another planet because, sure as hell Progressives and Socialists will want to send them money.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2017 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, guys.

Ron --- Or Taurus, etc.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the vid but I'm not getting another LG. The phone is good but the company sucks and support is horrible.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2017 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chickened out (again) & got another Android phone. I tried to buy an iPhone but just couldn't do it. I got a Samsung Galaxy S8+ (in black, not that it matters). Ordered a tempered glass screen protector and Bear Motion case tonight (should be delivered on Monday...we'll see). I think I'll sell my iPad and LG G6 (plus about $200 worth of Apple store gift cards) and buy a very good (but used...probably) Android tablet.

Thanks again for the advice, guys!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2017 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to go back to Apple, problem is my carrier doesnt support them.

They were Wind mobile, and got bought out and changed to Freedom Mobile about 6 months or so ago, so there IS a hope for the future.....but the trade-off is I get unlimited everything for $40/mo, and in 2 years have NEVER had an overage charge or billing issue with them....I cant say that for the past carriers I have had.One in particular seemed to have the attitude "we will bill what we want, we dont explain a single thing, and if you ask questions or try to get answers or try to argue we will send you straigt to collections. SHUT UP AND PAY what we tell you to pay, or else.

The peace of mind, low price, and easy of dealing with these guys is worth the trade-off of not being able to use an iPhone.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2017 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear ya, MEM. I was 99% convinced I would stay away from the big phone companies but couldn't pass up the deal from Sprint. Family plan w/folks for $100/mo for unlimited everything (plus the cost of my phone...theirs were free). I've had Sprint before and didn't have any real issues with them.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2017 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your coverage may be better but we had Virgin Mobile (Sprint) for a while and it didn't meet our needs. The coverage is great along the Interstate Highway System and in large or coastal cities but non existent elsewhere.

I don't care for the way Verizon operates but they have the best coverage in rural areas. It all depends upon where and how you use your phone. Verizon has both types of on the network so you can choose which type you like. Of course, Verizon is pricier.

I think the most important thing is the carrier and not the phone.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 10-22-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock