Started on: 04-19-2017 08:56 AM
Replies: 51 (794 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 05-31-2017 02:02 AM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These things are all over the place, especially in school.

Can't learn how to sit still still? Here, Johnny- don't take notes, just spin this thing all day long.

If you are among those lucky enough not to know what I'm talkin' about:

http://www.popularmechanics...are-fidget-spinners/

Guess I'm just irked because of the way it's being promoted as a FANTASTICALLY WONDERFUL thing.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FANTASTICALLY WONDERFUL! FANTASTICALLY EXPENSIVE! FANTASTICALLY STUPID!

I can't believe people are paying $250 for these things. Grow the heck up, and stop playing with yourself. Just knowing these people are out there diminishes my hope for humanity.

Except you, TDA. If you've got one, fine. Enjoy it.
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As ADHD cases rise, so do the use of these things. There are many cheap ones, and some you can build yourself.

Many students have huge issues keeping still, its a compulsion. Especially being at a school that only offers one or two sports, no gym class, and a lunch that is 50% sugar, there is almost no way for them to get energy out. They don't fidget consciously, and it is physically painful not to(if I don't workout every day, I have to shake my leg). On top of that, a third of them are on medication that ups their heart rate, again increasing energy levels.

As a teacher, if they want to use one I have zero problem with it. It is better than tapping the desk with their fingers or scribbling instead of paying attention.

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to take one to the next meeting at work!
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my oldest son just asked me if he could buy one of these with his own money from amazon, when I asked him why he said he gets bored in class and the work doesn't challenge him. My reply was you are in school to learn not play, and if you need something to do with your hands twirl a pencil, if the school work doesn't challenge you ask your teacher for something that will and gain extra credit.

dan
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30 years ago a coworker had a large bearing that he would spin the outer race with a hand inserted into the inner race.
Kinda annoying but it made you want to try it too.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

30 years ago a coworker had a large bearing that he would spin the outer race with a hand inserted into the inner race.
Kinda annoying but it made you want to try it too.

Oh yeah, that's how they get you hooked...
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Did he get paid for that ? I did.

The sucky part of it was that I had to pack wheel bearing grease in it.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's another fad that will slowly die away and be replaced by something else. Just like Pokemon Cards, Pogs, Digital Pets and heck even marbles that had their year or so of popularity when I was young. We had a yo-yo craze for awhile as well when I was a kid and every kid wanted the Duncan yo-yo that looked like a mag wheel. Not to mention, 9 or so months ago when Pokemon Go was the rage.

That said, we bought one for my son but he doesn't go to traditional school anymore. He knows it is a toy he will only be able to use between classes and assignments, and our son is autistic. We had issues with his former school that exploded just before Christmas and when the reality came to light, we yanked him out of traditional school and enrolled him in Utah Virtual Academy ( a on-line school with off-line assignments as well ). My wife is a stay at home mom and also his learning coach so she is here with him, keeping him on task and making sure he doesn't ignore his class work. He has been student of the week in various classes several times since we enrolled him and is frequently called on to read in class or provide answers and how those answers were gotten if needed. It's been a 180o turn from him being scared to go to school to loving school and wanting to go. We figure, if he wants one of the latest fad toys that are less than $10.00, with as good as he is doing he can have one. A $250.00 one on the other hand... No. Heck, we looked on eBay and there are much better ones than the one he has that can be gotten for less than $15.00. Some that even my wife and I wouldn't mind having just for the novelty. We are thinking of getting one of these for our daughters just to see if the school will let them keep it with them there. It could make a nice improvised defensive tool if the need arose.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-14-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Fidget Spinners" makes me think of this song (not necessarily this version):

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in my day, when men were men, we might play with a ...

Click to show
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Zeb:
I can't believe people are paying $250 for these things.

I guess a Fidget Spinner is special.

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Click to show

A fidget spinner is basically just a un-shelled or shall we say frame-less one of those.

Oh and I remember saving up my allowance when I was in grade school to buy one of those.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-14-2017).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh fiddlesticks!

The school here allows the spinning of fidgets if out of sight.
Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm all for anything that gets kids off of their cell phones.

Getting upset about a new toy is kind of pointless.

New ones come out every year. Kids buy them. Old people get mad that they're nothing like their old pick-up-sticks or red ryder bb gun. Repeat.

[This message has been edited by Spektrum-87GT (edited 05-15-2017).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:

I'm all for anything that gets kids off of their cell phones.

Getting upset about a new toy is kind of pointless.

New ones come out every year. Kids buy them. Old people get mad that they're nothing like their old pick-up-sticks or red ryder bb gun. Repeat.

I get what you're saying about the "generational" stuff, but what I don't like is when these things are used in classrooms and other places by "normal" kids and it DOESNT help them to "focus". You tell them something, And they're like "whuuuut?" And its antisocial, they don't interact with each other when they use them.
I know, ya see kids like this with cell phones and lego and before that, game boys and (insert toy here)
At least with lego, you're building stuff.
These spinners don't make you smarter. It can help kids that have issues, and I LOVE toys, there's just something about these things that irks me.

I'm overreacting, it's not like they are slumped over lying on the ground drooling with eyes all akimbo, endlessly spinning...

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 05-15-2017).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

I get what you're saying about the "generational" stuff, but what I don't like is when these things are used in classrooms and other places by "normal" kids and it DOESNT help them to "focus". You tell them something, And they're like "whuuuut?" And its antisocial, they don't interact with each other when they use them.
I know, ya see kids like this with cell phones and lego and before that, game boys and (insert toy here)
At least with lego, you're building stuff.
These spinners don't make you smarter. It can help kids that have issues, and I LOVE toys, there's just something about these things that irks me.

I'm overreacting, it's not like they are slumped over lying on the ground drooling with eyes all akimbo, endlessly spinning...

I agree. People that cannot focus sometimes need someone to teach them how to focus. Focus is important. Distractions are nice, but does nothing to help the kid learn how to deal with real world stuff.. Like focusing and problem solving. There are people that would benefit from spinner like toys... But most of them don't have spinners.

Brad
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

I agree. People that cannot focus sometimes need someone to teach them how to focus. Focus is important. Distractions are nice, but does nothing to help the kid learn how to deal with real world stuff.. Like focusing and problem solving. There are people that would benefit from spinner like toys... But most of them don't have spinners.

Brad

That's it - thanks Brad. seems like its "Behavioral Therapy < DRUGS" it's "Here Johnny-take this pill once a day and here's your fidget spinner and cellphone. Not let me get back to my little screen here."

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2017 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever happened to just twirling a pencil? (and putting bobbies eye out with it )
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Click to show

My grandfather worked on the Manhattan project and figured out how to guide bombs with that bad boy. Now kids need a spinner thing to guide the brain? Somebody has things backward dont ya think?
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a superball I'd roll through my fingers..
It helped.. until I found girls then..
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

As ADHD cases rise, so do the use of these things. There are many cheap ones, and some you can build yourself.

Many students have huge issues keeping still, its a compulsion. Especially being at a school that only offers one or two sports, no gym class, and a lunch that is 50% sugar, there is almost no way for them to get energy out. They don't fidget consciously, and it is physically painful not to(if I don't workout every day, I have to shake my leg). On top of that, a third of them are on medication that ups their heart rate, again increasing energy levels.

As a teacher, if they want to use one I have zero problem with it. It is better than tapping the desk with their fingers or scribbling instead of paying attention.

"As ADHD cases rise". Interesting, what do you attribute this increase to?

Has the human race evolved? Somehow, I'm doubtful. Won't suggest the doctors aren't diagnosing more of it.
It will be interesting to see how these kids do later in life when they bring their toys to work with them.

Employers are not so sympathetic. Pandering to a child and not letting them learn hard lessons in life only sets them up for greater failure later on.

"As a teacher, if they want to use one I have zero problem with it."

This I understand, makes your job a lot easier. Personally, I'd prefer you send my kid to the "office" and call me.
Self-Control is something every child needs to learn early on.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

If you wish to upset a Conservative, lie to him.
If you wish to upset a Liberal, tell him the truth.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2017 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its NOT ADHD, dammit...

I just dont give a **** about the subject you keep yammering on about, thats all.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2017 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting question Ron.

Why is that now we have so many fights in classroom, not paying attention, and blatant disorderly conduct? It spans past races. In the late eighties we had to at least pay attention in class. Sit appropriately. You know, learn. I picture kids with "feelings" stopping class because they forgot their fidget spinners, cell phone, or what ever else they need to concentrate.

Geez folks, we had to learn in school. It seems now indoctrination is preceding schooling. More of a preschool atmosphere. Young adults? They will never become adults.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Probably over stimulation.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Interesting question Ron.

Why is that now we have so many fights in classroom, not paying attention, and blatant disorderly conduct? It spans past races. In the late eighties we had to at least pay attention in class. Sit appropriately. You know, learn. I picture kids with "feelings" stopping class because they forgot their fidget spinners, cell phone, or what ever else they need to concentrate.

Geez folks, we had to learn in school. It seems now indoctrination is preceding schooling. More of a preschool atmosphere. Young adults? They will never become adults.

Still hoping to get a response but, that may or may not happen.................
------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …

Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 05-15-2017).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has the human race evolved?

Well yes it has to an extent.

If you mean in the context of physiology, not so much. Our bodies still operate the same way in that our heart still pumps blood, our lungs still breath air and we still consume food and eliminate the waste.

However, the environment in which we are nurtured in has drastically change over the last 100 years. When you were a child, how many mothers breastfed verses cow/goat milk or formula? How many homes had air conditioning? How many homes had a TV? How many of the vaccines that are administered today were being administered then? How much processed food did you consume in comparison to what kids in modern society consume? What kind of challenges did kids face then verses now? The Great Depression with young kids doing whatever they could to contribute fiscally to their family, how would the children of today cope?

I'm curious as to what the rates of ADHD and ADD would be in places where people still exist in tribes? Where people still live with the real possibility of famine?

So yes, we have evolved and it's not an evolution un-witnessed by many of the older generation. After all, how many times have we seen "Kids these days don't know how good they got it" type of comments?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-16-2017 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

This really is a fascinating concept. One that you and I may agree on.

Factors determine results. One factor, the air we breath, is different from the air that those took in 100 years ago. The air now is vastly more composed of different elements than ever in human history. What we take in determines who we are. I believe that has to change the way a person grows. Environmental factors mold creation. Change factors, and creation changes.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

This really is a fascinating concept. One that you and I may agree on.

We have actually agreed on a great many things over the years.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And just think..I wasted my early youth trying to get a peek down girls' blouses in class...I coulda been playing with one of these gadgets instead.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

And just think..I wasted my early youth trying to get a peek down girls' blouses in class...I coulda been playing with one of these gadgets instead.

In my "early" youth, I didn't have to peek down their blouses. Fill up the little plastic pool, turn on the sprinkler in the yard and all the little girls and boys playing in the water didn't have a shirt on. It wasn't until my "older" youth that trying to peek down blouses became a thing.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

If you mean in the context of physiology, not so much. Our bodies still operate the same way in that our heart still pumps blood, our lungs still breath air and we still consume food and eliminate the waste.

However, the environment in which we are nurtured in has drastically change over the last 100 years. When you were a child, how many mothers breastfed verses cow/goat milk or formula? How many homes had air conditioning? How many homes had a TV? How many of the vaccines that are administered today were being administered then? How much processed food did you consume in comparison to what kids in modern society consume? What kind of challenges did kids face then verses now? The Great Depression with young kids doing whatever they could to contribute fiscally to their family, how would the children of today cope?

I'm curious as to what the rates of ADHD and ADD would be in places where people still exist in tribes? Where people still live with the real possibility of famine?

So yes, we have evolved and it's not an evolution un-witnessed by many of the older generation. After all, how many times have we seen "Kids these days don't know how good they got it" type of comments?

Won't disagree with you, I'm not qualified in that area. But, my contention still stands. They, must learn to deal with it.

I can just see some 18 year old bringing his spinner with him as he/she clocks in for work.

Originally posted by maryjane:

So, you were the guy that was always spoiling my view. Being honest, the back of your head ain't all that attractive.

------------------
Ron

james9937

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for james9937Send a Private Message to james9937Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonaduce:

my oldest son just asked me if he could buy one of these with his own money from amazon, when I asked him why he said he gets bored in class and the work doesn't challenge him. My reply was you are in school to learn not play, and if you need something to do with your hands twirl a pencil, if the school work doesn't challenge you ask your teacher for something that will and gain extra credit.

dan

I had an IEP when I was in school. Basically just needed more time on tests. But I was grouped into a class that wasn't challenging enough for me. As time went on the gap just got bigger and bigger. I couldn't get out of it when I would ask them during meetings. I don't know anything about Math, Science or History. But my report card showed A's and B's. They thought I was doing great. While in reality I could see the problem. I don't know what the situation is. But in my case I'd hate to have this happen to someone else. Even my parents didn't know it was a problem until I was in high school.
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2017 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Up until a week ago I had never heard of a fidget spinner, then one day as I was being trained on a new route my trainer pulled one out and started playing with it. Since then, I've seen it plastered all over Facebook, youtube and everywhere else around here.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Warning: Fidget Spinners and cheap knockoffs sold @ many stores, flea markets, etc, can be dangerous.

Texas girl chokes on fidget spinner part CNN USA Today and others.

While the Learning Express Toys and maybe others have "CHOKING HAZARD - Small parts. Not for children under 3 years." on their web site, Retail packages may not show the warning or warning is on back etc.

Big Problem here Girl is 10 and put into mouth to "clean" it and part came loose.

Joniec said her daughter was able to tell her she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and accidentally swallowed it.
USA Today

If it was in the car etc... Plastic may get hot and make it weak then easily release the bearings. Heat and stress can do that even after cooled down later. Just bending forces and many plastics can make them weak too. Then add spit and bearings can pop out easy.

And if anyone can eat any parts... Likely dogs and other pets can eat them too.
But dogs won't eat bearing... Don't could on that. Even If they won't, eat the plastic parts can be dangerous for them. I've seen dogs eat Nylabones and other tough toys that you much watch and take away before having problems. Just have a dog ate small plastic "rubber bands" cause problems thus week and Finally barf them back up.
Some spinners are made w/ only 1 bearing and rest only plastic and dead weight(s) made from anything.

China and others have a long history iffy plastics etc on cheap things. Many in just last few years had to recall toys w/ bad plastic, screws getting loose, etc. Example: McD's recalled their "Step It!" watch last summer for "burning" cause by plastic case and band.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-22-2017).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My daughter was given a "fidget ring". Same thing, just you wear it. It's a glorified bearing. (with no grease)

It might end up having an accident and going in the garbage; I don't want my kid to have a crutch she doesn't need.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has the human race evolved? Somehow, I'm doubtful. Won't suggest the doctors aren't diagnosing more of it.
It will be interesting to see how these kids do later in life when they bring their toys to work with them.

Employers are not so sympathetic. Pandering to a child and not letting them learn hard lessons in life only sets them up for greater failure later on.

"As a teacher, if they want to use one I have zero problem with it."

This I understand, makes your job a lot easier. Personally, I'd prefer you send my kid to the "office" and call me.
Self-Control is something every child needs to learn early on.

It's not about making my job easier, it's about allowing the kids to focus.

I do believe that cases are on the rise, because of the technological stimulation kids are constantly under. TV, smart phones, ads, multiple devices..it really takes a mental toll. If a figet spinner helps, it helps. The only issue I'm seeing is kids who really dont need it. However, that's not my judgement to make. If kids can use one and pay attention, so be it.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:
It's not about making my job easier, it's about allowing the kids to focus.

... because of the technological stimulation kids are constantly under. TV, smart phones, ads, multiple devices..it really takes a mental toll. If a figet spinner helps, it helps.

They allow you to teach ?
Add fidget spinners to your technological stimulation list.
How can they possibly help anybody focus ? They look and play and think about their fidget spinners.

C'mon man !

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock