Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Taking a big retailer to small claims court (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Taking a big retailer to small claims court by Spektrum-87GT
Started on: 04-12-2017 04:25 PM
Replies: 44 (617 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-13-2017 11:29 PM
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go through with this, beware any of the "court" shows that try to contact you to go on them. If all you want is a quick buck and don't mind being embarrassed on national TV, then go on Judge Judy. Otherwise, ignore their requests. They are all scams IMO.
IP: Logged
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taking a big retailer to small claims court

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:
I don't even think they're going to show up.

Sure. Who do you think is not going to show up ? The store manager or the big retailer's legal team ? If word got out that they paid you off, they would have 100's of cases to defend against. The big retailer's legal team has deep pockets. How deep are yours ? Deep enough to go to appellate court ? They will wear you down with time. If you do prevail it will cost you more than 30 hours of time + -. Is ten dollars an hour a good wage for you, if you do get to collect it ?

Don't forget, you might also be libel for their attorney's fees should you lose.

Me ? I would quietly ask for a manager's discount on a reasonable amount of purchase. He will keep a customer and keep him happy.

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

If you go through with this, beware any of the "court" shows that try to contact you to go on them. If all you want is a quick buck and don't mind being embarrassed on national TV, then go on Judge Judy. Otherwise, ignore their requests. They are all scams IMO.

most of those that are 'real', pay the decision costs themselves. So if you win money, you will get it. The loser who has to pay loses nothing. Also most corporations wont have employees show up to court in any case...unless YOU subpoena them. Theyre lawyer, who works for them is who shows up.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-13-2017).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2017 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I am not saying I agree with the OP. I am just not bashing him for his asking of advice.

AND THAT IS A PROBLEM.. cases like this should be bashed, but you don't have dobey to fight with at the moment so you work down the line.
This suit is stupid.. the o/p is a clown to even bring it up..
Store only has to ask the judge, to have him prove it wasn't the cart he used that HE hit..
Anyone even entertaining supporting this is a phuckstick.. no really..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 04-13-2017).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Specktrum, I just don't see this working out well for you. Even if you could show the court that the parking lot is strewn with carts more so than the average parking lot, you would have to also show that it has in the past and still constitutes an inherent danger or hazard to the general public's navigation. IOW, that your experience there is not an isolated case. That means searching for and running down anyone else that may have had a similar problem there. Depositions, more filing, maybe even subpoenas, all on your dime.

And, if your state or locality is anything like mine, the judge has the discretion on whether to even hear the case..depending on whether he/she thinks the case has merit. Just because you file a small claims case, it doesn't mean the court will agree to go forward with it. Civil cases get throw out all the time simply because the judge (or his assistants) don't see the merit of the case you presented upon filing. If that happens, you are out your $300 repair bill + filing costs, and the time you spent getting evidence together.
I was juror on a civil case several years ago, where the plaintiff had tried several different times over the course of 5 years and several different judges before finally finding one that would agree to hear the case. Even in that instance, the judge stopped the proceeding as soon as the plaintiff's legal team was thru presenting their evidence, and the plaintiff's side had taken a week to present. Judge said they simply hadn't presented enough compelling evidence for the defendant to have to present his side of the story and have to defend himself, and the trial was over. (I assumed that was all on the plaintiff's attorneys--probably took the case on a contingency for part of the prospective settlement and the legal beagles had to eat all the cost.)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-13-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock