Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  AT&T is pushing the limits of Net Neutrality...again. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
AT&T is pushing the limits of Net Neutrality...again. by Threedog
Started on: 11-29-2016 07:28 PM
Replies: 43 (527 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-03-2016 11:13 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Article link

AT&T, which owns large broadband and wireless networks, is an internet service provider, or ISP. As a result, it can leverage its infrastructure to help promote its other ventures. And so, as promised, the carrier announced that users of its internet services will be able to stream much of DirecTV Now without it counting against their data caps.

As a reminder, the core tenet of the net neutrality rules the FCC passed in 2015 is to regulate ISPs into ensuring that all data that cross over their network is treated equally. For instance, a Comcast or Verizon or AT&T (all considered ISPs) cannot force a web service such as Google or Netflix to pay a fee for access to a “fast lane” that delivers the service to consumers at a higher quality than other web services.

All data should be treated equally. This website should not count against my data cap if DirectTV does not. What happens if someone wants to start a service that would rival DirectTV? Who in their right mind would use it if it counts against the data cap?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its done all the time here...one carrier does free music one does sports one does movies...pick your carrier accordingly

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

Article link

All data should be treated equally. This website should not count against my data cap if DirectTV does not. What happens if someone wants to start a service that would rival DirectTV? Who in their right mind would use it if it counts against the data cap?

only you would complain about getting a service for free..

hint, t mobil does this also , some "services"(streaming) don't go against data limits ..

do you ***** when you sign up for a cable bundle and they throw in hbo showtime and a few other movie channels for free for the first year or two, also??

hint it's part of the bundled service.. a bonus for having both..
get over it..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 11-29-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just woke up? This is not new.
ATT T-Mobile and others are "Zero rating" services, means doesn't count under data caps, and FCC knows this.
This has been going on for 18mo or longer. Example: NYTimes 12/2015 http://bits.blogs.nytimes.c...zero-rating-services

Many claim Trump etc will to stop FCC Net Neutrality rules by pushing new laws. Trump is on record for hating Net Neutrality for years.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2016 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please let us know what else seems to bother you. There is just so much. Could you centralize the butt hurt to just one thread. Only for historical purposes.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you posted is not a problem unless Direct TV gets priority over other content. Their pricing structure is not an issue.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't get it.
Are you saying no data should be offered as a freebie?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If a business gives away free stuff that they pay for, it's unfair. If government gives away free stuff that I pay for, it is equality.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Screw net neutrality and the push for fairness. This is about competition. We are still Capitolist last I checked. I hope they make a fortune and force down telecommunication and subscriber tv prices. 100 bucks a month for 8 gigs? Net neutrality should end at ensuring one network doesn't purposely target another networks subscribers.

Aren't you sick of being screwed over minutes, and messages, and upgrades, and promotions and DATA OVERAGES?

Originally posted by maryjane:

I don't get it.
Are you saying no data should be offered as a freebie?

Imagine if the average steak was choice grade and the government restricted the giving away of Prime steaks?

[This message has been edited by WBailey1041 (edited 11-29-2016).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next time I see Ron Popeil (But wait--we're not done yet!) throw in that 2nd set of steak knives for free I'm gonna toss a table lamp thru the tv in anger yelling "That second set of knives should cost $29.95 too you imbecile!".
(Don't get me started on that damn commie Men's Warehouse place that makes ya take a 3rd suit for free if you buy 2 others at regular price)
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2016 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Next time I see Ron Popeil (But wait--we're not done yet!) throw in that 2nd set of steak knives for free I'm gonna toss a table lamp thru the tv in anger yelling "That second set of knives should cost $29.95 too you imbecile!".
(Don't get me started on that damn commie Men's Warehouse place that makes ya take a 3rd suit for free if you buy 2 others at regular price)

PFF
System Bot
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Direct TV IS getting preference over other services because their service doesn't go against the cap. By allowing this to happen, there can be no market competition. No one can create another service to compete against Direct TV because
a new service won't be able to afford to pay ATT to lift the data cap.

The issue is that it is now starting to go away from just mobile data use. When this stuff starts happening to home internet, the problem starts for those who only have one provider available. Many areas, especially rural ones, only have one "choice" of ATT or Comcast(or another), so if they decide what websites and companies get priority, they control what people see.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do realize AT&T now OWNs Directv right. They, like any company are allowed to do whatever they want within their company. I hate AT&T, but love Directv...that I had before the buyout. I have to take the bad with the good. Directv is the only choice for me because I get it in the RVs for $7.00 a month each. For a tv addict like me having a few hundred channels to watch no matter where I am is a godsend.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People still use DirecTV/Dish this day in age with options like Netflix and Hulu Plus or even a Fire TV stick? *shrug* I have no problem with my data cap of 250gb/mo and $9/mo Netflix bill.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you miss the whole net neutrality issue. You are confusing limiting bandwidth with limiting choice. AT&T cannot give bandwidth priority to DirectTV over, say, Netflix. Whether or not AT&T charges you for receiving DirectTV is NOT net neutrality.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Hulu too. It dont work without a WiFi signal which may be hard to find camping 50 miles out in the boonies. I can use my phone to bring it in with 3g/4g service if Im in cities or heavily trafficed areas, but not out in the woods by a lake. I get satellite anywhere. 250gb wouldnt get me even thru a few days (appx 3gb@hour, per show). Hulu also doesnt get a lot of shows I watch. Netflix, that I tried out, mostly has movies...90% of which I dont like. Besides watching, I usually record 6-8 hours of tv shows a day to watch when nothing is on live. A lot of specials programming I like to record on DVDs from my DVR to keep. My DVD recorders wont record YouTube or Hulu programming. I like my car racing, and mostly without satellite or cable, you dont get them. Im not interested in like Nascar.com's internet coverage from in car cameras.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2016 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

Direct TV IS getting preference over other services because their service doesn't go against the cap. By allowing this to happen, there can be no market competition. No one can create another service to compete against Direct TV because
a new service won't be able to afford to pay ATT to lift the data cap.

The issue is that it is now starting to go away from just mobile data use. When this stuff starts happening to home internet, the problem starts for those who only have one provider available. Many areas, especially rural ones, only have one "choice" of ATT or Comcast(or another), so if they decide what websites and companies get priority, they control what people see.

get back to us when you understand the issue.. as you clearly don't

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you tardanic? Cell phones with no data and limited minutes used to cost hundreds a month. Before sms was even a thing. Then sms, Sprint got it, but wasn't even sure how to charge for it, so they didn't for a long while. Then they did, now it's included. Unlimited. Data came. Same thing Sprint gave unlimited. Things changed. They went tiered. I don't pay a ton for my cell anymore. Used to be 2 lines with some 3G spots around $150. I can get unlimited data for $70 and it's 4G. Which is faster than my first home cable line. Hell DSL was only 1.6Mb forever. Att owns Direct. They are just giving it as a bonus. T-Mobile has some music service that doesn't go against data. Where is your anger there? Priority would be the problem. Unlimited data is a thing already, making this moot. Use whatever service you want if you have unlimited.

You qq a lot

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 11-30-2016).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I have Hulu too. It dont work without a WiFi signal which may be hard to find camping 50 miles out in the boonies. I can use my phone to bring it in with 3g/4g service if Im in cities or heavily trafficed areas, but not out in the woods by a lake. I get satellite anywhere. 250gb wouldnt get me even thru a few days (appx 3gb@hour, per show). Hulu also doesnt get a lot of shows I watch. Netflix, that I tried out, mostly has movies...90% of which I dont like. Besides watching, I usually record 6-8 hours of tv shows a day to watch when nothing is on live. A lot of specials programming I like to record on DVDs from my DVR to keep. My DVD recorders wont record YouTube or Hulu programming. I like my car racing, and mostly without satellite or cable, you dont get them. Im not interested in like Nascar.com's internet coverage from in car cameras.

Get a Firestock off me. Watch anything. Movies. Tv. That race thing where they make a bunch of left's.

Wait 3GB/hr with Hulu, which btw is the most garbage of the streaming services. That can't be right.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 11-30-2016).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2016 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Get a Firestock off me. Watch anything. Movies. Tv. That race thing where they make a bunch of left's.

Hey Lonzo, someone hooked me up with a regular old fire stick.
Now I just need to hack your hack!
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait 3GB/hr with Hulu, which btw is the most garbage of the streaming services. That can't be right.

Knew this was off.

How much data does Hulu use?
Fortunately, among its competitors, Hulu is one of the most economical video-streaming services when it comes to data usage. An hour of watching video on Hulu at the highest quality requires about 650 megabytes -- or 0.65 gigabytes -- of data. By comparison, Netflix requires anywhere from 1 to 3 full gigabytes of data per hour of video. Assuming that you had a 250-gigabyte monthly data cap, and the month had 30 days, that means that you could watch about 13 hours of video pe
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"How much data does Hulu use?

Fortunately, among its competitors, Hulu is one of the most economical video-streaming services when it comes to data usage. An hour of watching video on Hulu at the highest quality requires about 650 megabytes -- or 0.65 gigabytes -- of data. By comparison, Netflix requires anywhere from 1 to 3 full gigabytes of data per hour of video. Assuming that you had a 250-gigabyte monthly data cap, and the month had 30 days, that means that you could watch about 13 hours of video per day at the highest quality on Hulu! "

https://techboomers.com/t/hulu-data-usage
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

"How much data does Hulu use?

Fortunately, among its competitors, Hulu is one of the most economical video-streaming services when it comes to data usage. An hour of watching video on Hulu at the highest quality requires about 650 megabytes -- or 0.65 gigabytes -- of data. By comparison, Netflix requires anywhere from 1 to 3 full gigabytes of data per hour of video. Assuming that you had a 250-gigabyte monthly data cap, and the month had 30 days, that means that you could watch about 13 hours of video per day at the highest quality on Hulu! "

https://techboomers.com/t/hulu-data-usage

Look up!
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look up!

Look down!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2016 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jump up turn around!
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Look down!

I've logged my usage on Netflix and it was only around 300MB. In 1080P i can't recall if that was a full hour though or just half. So 20 or 40 minutes.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've logged my usage on Netflix and it was only around 300MB. In 1080P i can't recall if that was a full hour though or just half. So 20 or 40 minutes.

From Netflix's help site:
Adjust your data usage settings

Adjusting the data usage settings for your account is the easiest way to reduce the amount of bandwidth used while watching Netflix. There are four data usage settings to choose from. Each estimate below is per stream:

Low (0.3 GB per hour)
Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Watch anything with your firestick as long as you can get service where you are. Its not a magic device that will pull video out of thin air. Satellite works ANYWHERE except inside a building or cave...for $7.00 a month in the motorhome. Of course the exception is if your directly under a severe thunderstorm...then you just watch whats on the DVR.

Hulu is great to me, Netflix sucks. I quit it after the trial period. All streaming services use about 1gb for an hour of standard def, and up to 3gb for HD.

from Netflix site: "Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. This can create headaches for Netflix members who have a monthly bandwidth or data cap on their Internet service."

from Apple: "An SD movie is about 800 megabytes, an HD, about 2 Gigs, very rough estimates. If space is a concern, buy the largest you can afford. "

Yahoo answers: "Depends on the quality. A download of just OK quality will be like 800MB. A DVD rip should be like 4GB."

Playstation streaming: "alot of things effect the size, but most decent movies are anywhere from 700mb to 1.8gbs (standard/HD)

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-30-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

If a business gives away free stuff that they pay for, it's unfair. If government gives away free stuff that I pay for, it is equality.

Ah yes.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, as DirecTV is owned by ATT they should be able to stream it at zero against your bandwith.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Watch anything with your firestick as long as you can get service where you are. Its not a magic device that will pull video out of thin air. Satellite works ANYWHERE except inside a building or cave...for $7.00 a month in the motorhome. Of course the exception is if your directly under a severe thunderstorm...then you just watch whats on the DVR.

Hulu is great to me, Netflix sucks. I quit it after the trial period. All streaming services use about 1gb for an hour of standard def, and up to 3gb for HD.

from Netflix site: "Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. This can create headaches for Netflix members who have a monthly bandwidth or data cap on their Internet service."

from Apple: "An SD movie is about 800 megabytes, an HD, about 2 Gigs, very rough estimates. If space is a concern, buy the largest you can afford. "

Yahoo answers: "Depends on the quality. A download of just OK quality will be like 800MB. A DVD rip should be like 4GB."

Playstation streaming: "alot of things effect the size, but most decent movies are anywhere from 700mb to 1.8gbs (standard/HD)

You said you had a hotspot... I'm good with an 800MB dvdrip. They download in under 5-6 minutes. Streaming is my jam though. If I can't stream it, something disaster related is probably going on already and my wife will want the news. Depending on what it is I'll be busy or drinking some bourbon making jokes. I'm betting you have a 32" in the RV? Standard wide deff looks decent enough for my eyes on that size. Not sure why you'd want to get away from it all just to watch TV

Back on subject. This is hardly net neutrality.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Jump up turn around!

You die on me?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
He and a few other does have a clue...
Comcast has been use Zero Rating for their own stream service. ATT/DTV does same but Netflix YT and most everything get counted for data cap. Sprint and T-Mobile has Zero Rating services too. Zero Rated services has huge advantages over all normal services that count under cap and over charges. When you get charge for being over cap a few times or speed is cut for normal internet service, ANY service w/ Zero Rating will be viewed a lot more.

When T-Mobile etc claim "unlimited" they also put fine print that says Company can/will slow speeds after XXGB is used at any or all the time for the rest of current billing cycle.

Zero Rating data is design to have the same results done by Microsoft to kill Netscape Corp by giving away IE.
Any company big enough to pay to play can crush anyone that counts for data caps.
If big enough to pay then AT&T et al can still refuse or by put price so high you won't pay because competing service they own or others already playing. Just like Apple kill apps that competing w/ Apple's current or future offers/features.

Comcast now offers Netflex Only on X1 STB. X1 STB and Voice Remote Cost more money each month. Otherwise using Netflex still counting under the cap. Web On Demand and even Comcast Phone services also counted for data caps.

All Comcast customers have caps but currently unenforced in most markets. They increase the cap in some markets from 300GB to 1TB but still use a cap. If you want best TV from Netflix etc, watch 4K TV or have several TV you can go over 1TB and get charge for this. Overage charge is $10 per 50GB in a few markets.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or use wifi and stop with the cellular data usage for movies. My daughter does this. Sits in the house with 50 meg wifi and doesn't turn on wifi on her iPhone. Why? If you are so addicted to movies that you have to use cellular data to watch stuff when out of wifi range then it's on you and your wallet. You get no sympathy from me.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:
Or use wifi and stop with the cellular data usage for movies. My daughter does this. Sits in the house with 50 meg wifi and doesn't turn on wifi on her iPhone. Why? If you are so addicted to movies that you have to use cellular data to watch stuff when out of wifi range then it's on you and your wallet. You get no sympathy from me.
yes and better, Netflix now can DL streams and watch off line etc to avoid cell phone data capping.

but problem is Home ISPs have caps too or soon will after Comcast and AT&T Uverse settles w/ FCC or Congress write new Laws to Strip FCC of Net Neutrality rules. (ATT high speed caps is 1 TB./mo but DSL only gets 150GB/mo.)
Comcast AT&T Verizon and others are spending Many Millions of $ to Lobby Congress to kill NN fast as possible.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If these ISPs try that mess they will learn what customer dissatisfaction is all about. I will let my Senators and Congressman know my feelings on this matter though. Trying to put a data cap on home internet service is not acceptable. Ever. Thanks for the reminder.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You said you had a hotspot... I'm good with an 800MB dvdrip. They download in under 5-6 minutes. Streaming is my jam though. If I can't stream it, something disaster related is probably going on already and my wife will want the news. Depending on what it is I'll be busy or drinking some bourbon making jokes. I'm betting you have a 32" in the RV? Standard wide deff looks decent enough for my eyes on that size. Not sure why you'd want to get away from it all just to watch TV

Back on subject. This is hardly net neutrality.

I dont have a hotspot. I have used my 4g phone to send streaming video to the tvs..IF I get a signal. It still has to get a signal. Yes, I go to races and run the tv via satellite to see where I cant see visually. after the races we watch movies or whatever. A lot of times, usually every other week or so I get away to the lake or river and I dont do much outdoors when its 30* in winter. We just go to hang out where theres no other people to bother us. Maybe just to enjoy the scenery, watch movies or shows, play some uninterrupted sex . We pick a spot to park and dont even get out of the RV, maybe for the whole weekend. Its much nicer than sitting out in the yard, listening to traffic, watching all the local thugs doing whatever. It would be OK to stay at the lake house in warm weather, but their rebuilding the dam so most of the waters been drained out for the next year or so. Also people know where its at and we would always have people 'stopping by'...so its hardly a getaway. A getaway to me is just going anywhere that no one who knows you, would have any idea where we are. I could be on the Ohio River, or in the National Forest, or at a Walmart in Cincinnati. The smaller motorhome has a couple of 32s", the bigger has a couple of 24s", a 40" and a 55" outside. They both have DVRs, VCRs and DVD players.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-01-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2016 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E.Furgal:
He and a few other does have a clue...
Comcast has been use Zero Rating for their own stream service. ATT/DTV does same but Netflix YT and most everything get counted for data cap. Sprint and T-Mobile has Zero Rating services too. Zero Rated services has huge advantages over all normal services that count under cap and over charges. When you get charge for being over cap a few times or speed is cut for normal internet service, ANY service w/ Zero Rating will be viewed a lot more.

When T-Mobile etc claim "unlimited" they also put fine print that says Company can/will slow speeds after XXGB is used at any or all the time for the rest of current billing cycle.

Zero Rating data is design to have the same results done by Microsoft to kill Netscape Corp by giving away IE.
Any company big enough to pay to play can crush anyone that counts for data caps.
If big enough to pay then AT&T et al can still refuse or by put price so high you won't pay because competing service they own or others already playing. Just like Apple kill apps that competing w/ Apple's current or future offers/features.

Comcast now offers Netflex Only on X1 STB. X1 STB and Voice Remote Cost more money each month. Otherwise using Netflex still counting under the cap. Web On Demand and even Comcast Phone if I ownservices also counted for data caps.

All Comcast customers have caps but currently unenforced in most markets. They increase the cap in some markets from 300GB to 1TB but still use a cap. If you want best TV from Netflix etc, watch 4K TV or have several TV you can go over 1TB and get charge for this. Overage charge is $10 per 50GB in a few markets.[/QUOTE]
He doesn't have a clue..
there is no wrong in giving your customers something as part of the service..
They are not playing favorites.. the OWN direct tv..
now if they didn't own it and gave the service for direct tv and say not to dish network.. then he'd have a point..

If I own the company.. I can give my customers the service.. as a perk, bonus . That is MY choice ..
T mobil gives free music and movie streaming..

Why is it, people complain when a company is offering something for free.. ???
This is the same type stupid as those that complained that Microsoft o/s came with a internet brouser .. instead of filing a law suit they should've just made their product better.. so people would want it.. but no..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 12-02-2016).]

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

He doesn't have a clue..
there is no wrong in giving your customers something as part of the service..
They are not playing favorites.. the OWN direct tv..
now if they didn't own it and gave the service for direct tv and say not to dish network.. then he'd have a point..

If I own the company.. I can give my customers the service.. as a perk, bonus . That is MY choice ..
T mobil gives free music and movie streaming..

Why is it, people complain when a company is offering something for free.. ???
This is the same type stupid as those that complained that Microsoft o/s came with a internet brouser .. instead of filing a law suit they should've just made their product better.. so people would want it.. but no..

My issue is not that a company is giving something for free, my issue is what it could lead to if we allow companies to get too big.

The number of mobile providers has been shrinking since they were created. In certain areas, there is only one provider that even allows you to get service. Now if AT&T owns DirectTV and that service is provided quicker and better than any other one, those who live where only AT&T is available will only ever be able to choose DirectTV. It is a monopoly.

Now there are many places where there are two or three providers. If each of those providers has their own service, it is still impossible for any new service to break into that market.

A lot of people on this forum(rightfully) complain about the MSM, this is exactly how they become dominant. DirectTV doesn't stream any forms of alternative media, and doesn't count against the data cap. However, many sources of alternative media either use their own websites or Youtube to stream video, that DOES count against the data cap. It doesn't matter how good that source of alternative media is, if people have to pay money for it when the MSM is free, the vast majority are not going to. All of sudden the narrative is whatever 2 or 3 major telecom companies want it to be.

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 12-03-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2016 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
T-Mobile doesn't really do the free music/movie streaming any more. They have gone to a single plan structure with unlimited data.

Also net neutrality is about preventing service providers like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, etc… from paying ISPs to prioritize access to their services, and degrade access to competing services. If you have fair and equal access to all services outside the ISP's network, it becomes hard to claim that an ISP serving you data for an additional service (like TV) provided by the ISP from the ISP's internal network, is in violation of Net Neutrality. Would be interesting to see that go through court though.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock