Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Are Harbor Freight generators junk? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are Harbor Freight generators junk? by 2.5
Started on: 10-19-2015 08:19 PM
Replies: 42 (900 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-22-2015 06:21 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Anybody have one?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything at Harbor Freight is junk.
I shop there, but I don't expect high quality.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Everything at Harbor Freight is junk.
I shop there, but I don't expect high quality.

Had one that was fine for occasional use, but don't know I would trust my life to it. However, the predator engines that the generators use, are big in kart racing. I guess its like a Fiero, if you can't turn a wrench, it isn't for you.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do they still have a 90 day warranty as opposed to the Champions from Tractor Supply with a 2 year warranty? Standing behind your product for only 90 days does not look good.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem is many to most things sold thru Lowes HD and others are no better many times.

Consumer units sold thru Lowes, Northern Tool, etc, must compete on price points. These stores have iffy products for this reason.

Example: Many think Sears Tools are junk since Kmart bought them but Sears always had many junk tools.
You had to get "Pro" grade screwdrivers or expect to return to sears w/ worn/bad tips every month or 2 for any real work.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Problem is many to most things sold thru Lowes HD and others are no better many times.

Consumer units sold thru Lowes, Northern Tool, etc, must compete on price points. These stores have iffy products for this reason.

Example: Many think Sears Tools are junk since Kmart bought them but Sears always had many junk tools.
You had to get "Pro" grade screwdrivers or expect to return to sears w/ worn/bad tips every month or 2 for any real work.

Thats kinda why I'm not sure.

I know engines by Honda are good for example. Briggs yes.
I dont know the guts of generators so much, or what is prone to problems.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What will you be doing with it?

I would look at the reviews and know that it may be a gamble. I have a $90 generator for my sump pump. It runs just fine. Do I expect it to last forever? Nope.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2015 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
like sears have service/warranty contracts, 1,2 years..
for under 3 c notes, you can't really loose..
or save for a Honda about 2200.oo
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
like sears have service/warranty contracts, 1,2 years..
for under 3 c notes, you can't really loose..
or save for a Honda about 2200.oo

HF has/had extended warranties you could buy too.

In the business their called POM, meaning Piece Of Mind, and makes 99% profit to the store. The warranties are forgotten, lost, or the terms often have a way out meaning can void the agreement for many reasons.
At Sears and other places people get/got fired for not selling enough POM.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

What will you be doing with it?

I would look at the reviews and know that it may be a gamble. I have a $90 generator for my sump pump. It runs just fine. Do I expect it to last forever? Nope.

Just in case the power goes out for a while. Mostly stored otherwise.

Run fridge and some heat to keep pipes from freezing, etc.

I guess I'd be looking for a dependable one, the warranty wouldnt do me any good probly since I may not use it for years.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-20-2015).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I guess I'd be looking for a dependable one, the warranty wouldnt do me any good probly since I may not use it for years.

That is the key. It if doesn't work when you need it... what good is it. I would look for a good brand name and spend the money. Warranty is no good if the power is out in a -20F storm

PFF
System Bot
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2015 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know what you do hobby wise, or what budget you actually have for this... but I highly recommend a Lincoln generator welder combo. With a transfer switch you can run your whole house in a pinch and when you don't need it for emergencies you can use it as a portable welder anywhere on the property. Highly reliable units, never failed me even once.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FlyinFieros:
I don't know what you do hobby wise, or what budget you actually have for this... but I highly recommend a Lincoln generator welder combo. With a transfer switch you can run your whole house in a pinch and when you don't need it for emergencies you can use it as a portable welder anywhere on the property. Highly reliable units, never failed me even once.

I havent heard of that, sounds cool. I'm sure I'd dabble in welding. Cars are my hobby.
Budget is save up for it, like most things with me. I like to hear about all options to weigh value /cost.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is also the option of a whole house generator... but $$$$
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a comparable size Honda generator. $1499.
http://www.northerntool.com..._200585437_200585437
Even if the Honda is overpriced, you're still looking at cutting a LOT of corners at that price point.
Cheaper engine, cheaper power head, and cheaper inverter/electronics.
I would not recommend running any sensitve electronics off it without a UPS (not just a surge protector). I doubt the power would be clean and stable enough.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-20-2015).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find yourself a junkyard with an old RV in it. You can usually find a decent generator in one of those dilapidated motor homes really cheap. Even if you have to replace a few things on it you may be money ahead and have better peace of mind. They will probably be way quieter than a cheapo HF generator, and last longer. I came by this idea while trying to find ways to power a huge ac unit for a bread van. A fab guy I work with suggested this idea.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Check out craigslist in your area. Look at this

http://minneapolis.craigsli.../rvs/5261171833.html
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I havent heard of that, sounds cool. I'm sure I'd dabble in welding. Cars are my hobby.
Budget is save up for it, like most things with me. I like to hear about all options to weigh value /cost.

Here's one that I was talking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/...er-K2708-2/202759398

Small enough to still be a portable welder but large enough to power a house.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Find yourself a junkyard with an old RV in it. .

Not a bad idea, thanks.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Formula88:

I would not recommend running any sensitve electronics off it without a UPS (not just a surge protector). I doubt the power would be clean and stable enough.

Good point are most generators not plug and play with "Safe" power? I suppose even some basic appliances these days would be sensitive to "unstable" power.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good point are most generators not plug and play with "Safe" power? I suppose even some basic appliances these days would be sensitive to "unstable" power.

I couldn't say, but I'd check the specs. They have Inverter Generators now as well. (sometimes just called an inverter, but it's actually a generator with an inverter added to it).
Those allow the generator to throttle up and down as needed and the inverter maintains the constant voltage output. They're smaller capacity but much quieter and more fuel efficient since the engine only has to run as hard as the load it's supplying. Regular generators run at a constant speed regardless of load and if the speed varies your voltage output varies. The down side is the Inverter Generators are much more expensive.
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

A lot of times items sold through these places are custom made for them to lower the price. Just because Lowes sells a brand name lawn mower doesn't necessarily mean it is made to the same standards as the ones sold via the manufacturers store. Many people in the repair business will tell you that they are indeed different - also why they ask you where you bought it from so they can order the correct part for it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 portable back up generators. One is Yamaha and one is Harbor Freight. The HF one starts oin 1 or 2 pulls, expensive one takes usually 30 minutes of fiddling to get running and when it does, lights constantly brighten and dim running off it. I wont connect any electronics to it. HF one is a few less watts, but it puts out steady power. Its the bargain at $100 over the other that was $300. The one in the motorhome is a 4000 watt Onan. Starts instantly and runs everything I want. Its a factory installed electric start unit.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

A lot of times items sold through these places are custom made for them to lower the price. Just because Lowes sells a brand name lawn mower doesn't necessarily mean it is made to the same standards as the ones sold via the manufacturers store. Many people in the repair business will tell you that they are indeed different - also why they ask you where you bought it from so they can order the correct part for it.

Sometimes called grey market. Farm equipment is infamous in this regard.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Transfer switches, thoughts on needing one or not...

"With a transfer switch (about $500 to $900 to install, including labor), you’ll have one connection to make—plugging one end of a cable into the generator and the other into a dedicated box connected to the transfer switch. You’ll need at least a 5,000-watt generator to use one."

Anybody heard of this alternative?

"A Cheaper Alternative
Most manufacturers of service panels and many third-party manufacturers make a small connector called an interlock device. Each is intended for a specific model of panel, but all work the same way: They let you attach your generator to your service panel without a transfer switch but without the hazards of a direct connection.

An interlock kit, $50 to $150, should also be installed by an electrician, who will tell you whether it will work with your electrical system and whether it meets code. When in place, the interlock covers your service panel’s main cutoff switch so that you can’t switch it on while the generator is running. Once utility power is back, you slide the interlock back to its usual position. Power thus flows in only one direction.

Since this route is more manual than using a transfer switch, you’ll need to follow a certain sequence to avoid getting a spike of energy from the generator. But that’s the price you pay to save hundreds on buying and installing a transfer switch."

http://www.consumerreports....ds-a-Transfer-Switch
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '78 GMC has an Onan 6K genset. Its also a backup along with a Honda generator.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Onan ftw
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Transfer switches, thoughts on needing one or not...

For doing whole house?
#1 is require by law in many places and needs code inspection too.

Unapproved methods can get power shut off by power co, you fined or arrested, etc.

Why?
Because Many people hurt or killing by morons that back feed dead power lines w/ cobbled home generator setups.

Not just local 120/250 circuits... Back feeding nearby transformers will energize high volt lines too. That can hurt/killed people miles away from the generator.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like I wont be doing whole house then
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing a job to code isn't as bad as it seems . having extension cords ready to string through the house isn't all that bad either. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Onan ftw

Onan, Deere, Cat....

Or find a MEP series genset. MEP-802 Genset would be nice, tactical quiet too.

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doing a job to code isn't as bad as it seems . Having extension cords ready to string through the house isn't all that bad either. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I suppose with the cords, since the generator is to be running outside, the interesting part would be trying to run the cords outside without creating a gap where heat escapes.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suppose with the cords, since the generator is to be running outside, the interesting part would be trying to run the cords outside without creating a gap where heat escapes.

Install an outlet (outside), specific for the generator and then you can plug in from the inside.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Install an outlet (outside), specific for the generator and then you can plug in from the inside.

Thanks
I havent done house wiring, I think its required to pay someone to do here anyway.
But how does that work, it wouldnt go thru the whole house system?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks
I havent done house wiring, I think its required to pay someone to do here anyway.

I was just thinking of an outlet on the outside, directly wired to an outlet on the inside.... that is the only connection. So you plug in the generator on the outside and you plug in what you want to run on the inside. It does not connect to any existing wiring. This would give you the ability to not have to run through a window or door, with an extension wire.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks

The stand-by power will need to be routed through a transfer switch, also called an interlock switch. Can use a manual switch or automatic switch. HD or Lowes has them, or just about any electrical supply.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleevePAPA:

The stand-by power will need to be routed through a transfer switch, also called an interlock switch. Can use a manual switch or automatic switch. HD or Lowes has them, or just about any electrical supply.

Yup... IF he is going to connect to house wiring. If it is an outside, portable generator, where you run a few cords from, I wouldn't connect into any of the existing house wiring. That is just me though.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup... IF he is going to connect to house wiring. If it is an outside, portable generator, where you run a few cords from, I wouldn't connect into any of the existing house wiring. That is just me though.

Yeah, or it would back feed the grid. A breakout box with its own bus is an option, probably a better one. Depending on the draw, certain circuits to power the bare essentials. That's about all I know about that, since Ive only calculated the draw for an entire building for backup power.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was just thinking of an outlet on the outside, directly wired to an outlet on the inside.... that is the only connection. So you plug in the generator on the outside and you plug in what you want to run on the inside. It does not connect to any existing wiring. This would give you the ability to not have to run through a window or door, with an extension wire.

I would love to do that, wonder if its "code"?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would love to do that, wonder if its "code"?

It would not be attached to any house wire... it wouldn't fall under the electrical code. There is no code I can think of to prevent this... but you could talk to your local building inspection department to see what they say.

(no different than drilling a hole in the wall and running an electrical cord through it).... in theory

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-21-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock