Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Please turn your phone 90 degrees (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Please turn your phone 90 degrees by Tony Kania
Started on: 06-10-2015 05:16 PM
Replies: 43 (1130 views)
Last post by: Khw on 06-15-2015 06:57 PM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NSFW. Extreme simulated violence.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is annoying
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vertical Video Syndrome

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thankfully, I didn't waste a whole 2 minutes and 5 seconds watching that but, I would like to know if someone can replenish the 45 seconds I did watch. My life is only so long and I hate the thought of wasting what little time I have left.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Thankfully, I didn't waste a whole 2 minutes and 5 seconds watching that but, I would like to know if someone can replenish the 45 seconds I did watch. My life is only so long and I hate the thought of wasting what little time I have left.

What a grump.

Tony, the video was great. The message needs to get out there... and the song was quite enjoyable. Two thumbs up!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-10-2015).]

jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'd think the cell phone manufactures would have added the feature to lock the orientation by now or a warning. There is probably a camera app for that but I wouldn't trade it for the app that came on this phone.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

You'd think the cell phone manufactures would have added the feature to lock the orientation by now or a warning.

It just blows me away that people don't clue in to what they're doing when they shoot images or video in the wrong orientation.

Do these same people have their televisions and computer monitors sitting on their sides?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-10-2015).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't remember "full page" monitors?

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the simulation extreme or the violence?
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess this means no more selfies.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn the phone?
I have enough trouble just getting my monitor laid down on top of my flatbed scanner to get a screenshot.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I have enough trouble just getting my monitor laid down on top of my flatbed scanner to get a screenshot.

Might be time to upgrade from that 100 lb CRT beast.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

You'd think the cell phone manufacturers would have added the feature to lock the orientation...

Um, when was the last time you upgraded your phone? You're not using a Blackberry, are you? I can't remember the last phone I had that DIDN'T allow me to lock the orientation.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Is the simulation extreme or the violence?

The act of recording vertically.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And most phones, (yeah, even BB) have a button which allows you to flip a video. Looks like a circular arrow

Just click the flip button before you upload it, ya goofs!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha! MJ scanning things...

Cows.

Trees. (No, not trees.)

Ammunition.

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Turn the phone?

You are doing it wrong. Move the scanner to the monitor, not the other way around.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If maryjane turns his phone 90o the receiver falls out of the cradle.....

then he gets a dial tone.....

then Sara comes on the line.....

"Andy? Is that you?.....
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

If maryjane turns his phone 90o the receiver falls out of the cradle.....

then he gets a dial tone.....

then Sara comes on the line.....

"Andy? Is that you?.....

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Ha! MJ scanning things...

Cows.

Trees. (No, not trees.)

Ammunition.

Biscuits
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres a time for vertical and horizontal shots. Vertical shots work great for one person subject shots, Horizontal best for landscape or groups. I like people who take car photos in vertical mode and cut off the front and rear ends.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Vertical shots work great for one person subject shots, ...

But not video or still played back on a tv or computer screen..
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like people who take car photos in vertical mode and cut off the front and rear ends.

Something like this one?

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like people who take car photos in vertical mode and cut off the front and rear ends.

PK86 does it even with horizontal shots!

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
first vid is funny. Idiot users w/ "smart phone" is a not new problem. The Problem is Millions of people doing same very dumb things. I've work w/ vid cameras for Many years. I've seen many problems cause by idiot/nube camera men and home users.

Originally posted by williegoat:
You don't remember "full page" monitors?

Called Portrait screens
First ones I know of were aftermarket units (most were Radius products) and many uses "daughter boards" for MacPlus, SE and SE30 systems.

Now many LCD screen can flip to portrait mode and you manually set that in screen properties. Many Dell LCD have/had bases with a swivel at top to do this.
A few monitors (CRT like Radius Pivot (ytube) and now LCD.) for desktop have the hardware and drivers to auto switch from landscape to portrait and back.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

But not video or still played back on a tv or computer screen..

Actually, if theyre a single person standing, it does look better. If you do a picture or video of a model standings, all the crap on the sides of a wide angle shot draw away from the subject. If its a single person, lying down or stretched out horizonally, then its fine to shoot in wide angle.

good

bad

good

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, if theyre a single person standing, it does look better.

Not if you're shooting video... unless you watch it on one of these weird monitors I suppose.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-08-2018).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats why you can set your tv screen to block out the sides that are not needed. A lot of tv shows are still shown in 4:3 format, with the bars blocking out the sides on a widescreen tv. If you stretch those out to fill the screen everyone looks fat and 3' tall. H2 shows a lot of programs in 4:3 format even now. If you zoom it to fill the screen on the sides, you cut off heads and legs. If I shoot it that way myself, its because I want you to see the subject, not the scenery or lack of it, on the sides. Most good photos of people posing are in vertical format.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-11-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats why you can set your tv screen to block out the sides that are not needed.

Roger, you can't be serious. There is no reasoning whatsoever to shoot video with a cell phone while in "Portrait" mode.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im totally serious. Just a random star with lots of photos.

All I see are photos in Portrait Mode, very few in Landscape Mode, and for the most part they look dumb.

https://www.google.com/sear...APQ&biw=1154&bih=611

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-11-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Im totally serious. Just a random star with lots of photos.

All I see are photos in Portrait Mode, very few in Landscape Mode, and for the most part they look dumb.

Umm... read again what I've posted.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Roger, you can't be serious. There is no reasoning whatsoever to shoot video with a cell phone while in "Portrait" mode.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats why you can set your tv screen to block out the sides that are not needed. A lot of tv shows are still shown in 4:3 format, with the bars blocking out the sides on a widescreen tv. If you stretch those out to fill the screen everyone looks fat and 3' tall. H2 shows a lot of programs in 4:3 format even now. If you zoom it to fill the screen on the sides, you cut off heads and legs. If I shoot it that way myself, its because I want you to see the subject, not the scenery or lack of it, on the sides. Most good photos of people posing are in vertical format.

That may be but it's still different. 4:3 is 4 horizontal to 3 vertical. Your still wider than higher. Portrait is higher than wider and I've never seen a tv show or movie shot entirely in that format. Inserts of "look at this video I caught with my phone" are different, I'm talking FULL on production in a higher than wider format in video which is what the whole point of this thread is. Photo stills and video are two entirely different things.

Challenge: Provide me to a link of a TV show that was shot higher than wider.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-11-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

That may be but it's still different. 4:3 is 4 horizontal to 3 vertical.

Exactly. Trying to compare 4:3 to 5:9 is ridiculous.

HD video is 16:9, so shooting 5:9 video and watching it on a modern wide screen 16:9 monitor or TV is silly to say the least.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

That may be but it's still different. 4:3 is 4 horizontal to 3 vertical. Your still wider than higher. Portrait is higher than wider and I've never seen a tv show or movie shot entirely in that format. Inserts of "look at this video I caught with my phone" are different, I'm talking FULL on production in a higher than wider format in video which is what the whole point of this thread is. Photo stills and video are two entirely different things.

Yep. If you are watching a vid of someone singing in a field outside on youtube (for example ) and its shot in vertical you have a ton of balck space and a seemingly wandering small vid area.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Something like this one?

Ha! I resemble that remark.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to be on the side of the people against recording video vertically. But I've changed my mind. You see, most people that record video vertically are shooting video to send to another phone. And like it or not, a phone is a portrait medium. So it makes sense shooting video vertically. I you are shooting video for watching at home on your big screen tv, then it makes more sense to shoot horizontally.

Also, you see a lot of video shot by mobile phones of crimes in progress. For identification purposes, it's best to shoot that vertically because you get the best resolution that way.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try H2. Lots of its programs are in 4:3 frame with the sides blacked/ grayed out. If you stretch it to the sides, it squashes everything. If you zoom it to fill the screen, you chop off the top and bottom. I see the same thing on a lot of channels, especially those not in HD. In the original post, the girl in the video would look better with all the useless crap on both sides of her gone. Nothing on the sides add anything of value to the picture.

What I find annoying to watch is an old cinemascope movie on tv with the bottom and top of the screen grayed out (even on a wide screen tv). Ill usually switch channels, or zoom in so I cut off the sides of the movie to fill the screen vertically and horizontally.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

If you are shooting video for watching at home on your big screen tv, then it makes more sense to shoot horizontally.

Or on youtube.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As an 'artist', I equate photos and videos...just one is moving and the other is not. Composure is still the same. If a model in a bikini is running thru a field and off to the side in landscape mode is a broke down tractor or a fat guy masturbating, and you like that, have at it. The model is my subject, not all the other crap in the field of view.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock