Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Star Wars fans and avid science people... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Star Wars fans and avid science people... by pavo_roddy
Started on: 06-17-2014 07:08 PM
Replies: 81 (864 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-03-2014 03:15 PM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I am sorry rogergarrison, I should have been more specific. In my initial question I was asking about 2 different figures. The gravity the object would have and the gravity you would need to produce to allow walking on a surface.

And about the second question, if I stood in the exact same spot on a concrete surface 2 different times. One weight at say 180 lbs and the second one at 220 lbs, would gravity have to work less to hold me down? I mean the going theme in this topic is mass having gravity so wouldn't weighing less be a good thing as the planet would not have to work so hard.

Yes, no, sorta, yes.

1: Yes, the second question is real.

2: No, I am not joking.

3: Sorta would like an answer as it is real.

4. Yes, I am not joking.

I am in a good mood.

Thanx,

Air-eek
IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

I am sorry rogergarrison, I should have been more specific. In my initial question I was asking about 2 different figures. The gravity the object would have and the gravity you would need to produce to allow walking on a surface.

And about the second question, if I stood in the exact same spot on a concrete surface 2 different times. One weight at say 180 lbs and the second one at 220 lbs, would gravity have to work less to hold me down? I mean the going theme in this topic is mass having gravity so wouldn't weighing less be a good thing as the planet would not have to work so hard.

Yes, no, sorta, yes.

4. Yes, I am not joking.

I am in a good mood.

Thanx,

Air-eek

Think about it like this... does a helium ballon lift a light object off the ground sooner than a heavy one? Yes it takes "more" gravity to hold a lighter person than a heavier one.

Or, can you jump higher on the moon? Yes.

When you say "work harder", maybe you mean would there need to be "more" gravity (a larger mass / gravitational pull?) Unless you are referring to a synthetic manufactured gravity in chich case you would need more power, which in a sense "work harder" applies.

So...are you building a death star?

Where's Marvin?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-20-2014).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, no, sorta, yes.

4. Yes, I am not joking.

I am in a good mood.

Thanx,

Air-eek

I already answered that...

Originally posted by theBDub:

Gravity is a force that will provide a (relatively) constant acceleration on earth of 9.81m/s^2. So the work being done is the negligibly the same as long as you don't start talking about the minute differences between gravity forces on different elevations...

Work is defined as Force x Displacement. Force is mass times acceleration. So if you have more mass with the same acceleration, you will need more work to go the same displacement off the ground. But if you use the same amount of work as when you had less mass, you will create less displacement.

I have to leave work and don't have time to proofread because that statement was a little confusing. Hopefully it made sense... and I was right.

The acceleration due to gravity is going to provide a constant acceleration towards the planet regardless of your mass. The acceleration is constant under a vacuum. The only different between a feather and a rock when it comes to falling towards the ground is wind pushing it around.

So let's say you're falling towards Earth as a 180 lb man, and the guy next to you is 220 lbs. The guy next to you will be falling at the same rate as you are, but more force is created with his mass and acceleration compared to yours.

The question comes in your definition of "work." Gravity doesn't work. It's an acceleration that is relatively constant on the planet. In other words, gravity doesn't need to work harder to pull anything towards it. But to combat the effects of gravity, you would need more force to lift off the ground as a heavier man because F = ma. "a" in this instance can be substitutes for "g"ravity. So F = mg. More mass means more Force is pressing against the ground as a heavier man, meaning more Force would be required to overcome that Force.

Does that make sense?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The question comes in your definition of "work." Gravity doesn't work. It's an acceleration that is relatively constant on the planet. In other words, gravity doesn't need to work harder to pull anything towards it. But to combat the effects of gravity, you would need more force to lift off the ground as a heavier man because F = ma. "a" in this instance can be substitutes for "g"ravity. So F = mg. More mass means more Force is pressing against the ground as a heavier man, meaning more Force would be required to overcome that Force.

Does that make sense?

Think about a 50 lb kid and a 300 lb man standing on earth, now imagine you could turn down earths gravity like a big volume knob. As you turned it down the kid would leave the ground first right?
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Think about a 50 lb kid and a 300 lb man standing on earth, now imagine you could turn down earths gravity like a big volume knob. As you turned it down the kid would leave the ground first right?

Not unless a force acted upon them. If you turned the gravity down, and all else remained constant, they would just sit there on the ground...
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't think so. Bdub's quote.."The acceleration due to gravity is going to provide a constant acceleration towards the planet regardless of your mass. The acceleration is constant under a vacuum. The only different between a feather and a rock when it comes to falling towards the ground is wind pushing it around."

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1720 posts
Member since Oct 2009

Not unless a force acted upon them. If you turned the gravity down, and all else remained constant, they would just sit there on the ground...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If all mass has gravity other "forces" would. Ok when a force did, the lighter would first correct? That is my point.

The acceleration is constant under a vacuum.

But we are not in a vacuum. Too if you are already on the ground you have no acceleration, though there is a force tugging on you.
I'm not the expert here, just trying to clarify.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If all mass has gravity other "forces" would. Ok when a force did, the lighter would first correct? That is my point.

In a vacuum or 0G "weight" is relative. A planet would "weigh" the same as a person. Unless a force is inacted on it.

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 06-20-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

In a vacuum or 0G "weight" is relative. A planet would "weigh" the same as a person. Unless a force is inacted on it.

Sorry you replied before I edited. See edit.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting a headache!
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm getting a headache!

But its a good headache
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But we are not in a vacuum. Too if you are already on the ground you have no acceleration, thought there is a force tugging on you.
I'm not the expert here, just trying to clarify.

See but now we're talking about momentum though, and not gravity at all!

So when you push something, you are not only acting upon that object. That object is also putting that same force on you! Let's say we are floating in space. Next to you is a semi truck. The other side of you floats a needle. You flick the needle and the needle goes flying. That needle actually put the exact same amount of force on you as you did on it, but because you have higher mass, your momentum is going to transfer to the needle and keep you from speeding off. Lets say you then turn and try and push the semi. Now YOU will go flying! Because the semi had higher mass.

If that's the point of the question, does that make sense?

Let's say we're at regular earth gravity. The difference between a refrigerator and a cardboard box is its mass, right? So you try and push a refrigerator, but the fridge can push back with the same force before it will move because the mass with the gravity is exerting a force on the ground (F=mg remember) and that force is acting with the stationary frictional coefficient of the ground surface. While a cardboard box has lower mass so lower force acting on the ground, easier to overcome the friction. I want to draw a diagram and show you but I'm at work.

I have no idea if this is making any sense to anyone who hasn't taken any courses. Hopefully it makes some.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HI all

Yes, no, sorta, yes.

Thanx,

Air-eek

sorta.
The lighter person requiring less work holds true just so long as one only considers the Earth's gravitational "pull". All things with mass also have their own gravitational pull. We each, excert our own pull on the earth, just as it excerts it's 'pull' on us. Any object with a larger (heavier weight in this case) mass exerts more pull on the earth than a lighter object does. The 2 forces are cumulative.

So I suppose one could say the Earth's gravity doesn't have to "work" as hard to hold a lighter person down, but that is really kind of moot, since the Earth's gravitational pull is there regardless of whether a light (less mass) object occupies the space or a heavier (more mass) occupies the space. Even if nothing at all is there, the gravitational pull still is--there's just nothing present to feel the effect. The pull is constant, but the effect may appear not to be the same, tho the gases that surround the lighter person also contain mass so they are going to feel the effect.

Large quantities of lighter gases escape Earth's gravitational pull every year (helium and hydrogen for example) . They are simply too light for our planet's gravity to hold them as they move into the upper atmosphere. Not a problem with hydrogen, but Helium, on the other hand, is a different matter. It represents 0.00052% of the volume in our atmosphere, but it's mainly harvested from natural gas using a process called fractional distillation. Helium is becoming scarce in our planet. In fact, Cornell University physicist and Nobel Prize-winner Robert Richardson once said that each floating party balloon should have a $100 price tag, as he campaigned against the US Government decision to sell the country's helium stockpile by 2015 to keep prices down.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-20-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So when you push something, you are not only acting upon that object. That object is also putting that same force on you! Let's say we are floating in space. Next to you is a semi truck. The other side of you floats a needle. You flick the needle and the needle goes flying. That needle actually put the exact same amount of force on you as you did on it, but because you have higher mass, your momentum is going to transfer to the needle and keep you from speeding off. Lets say you then turn and try and push the semi. Now YOU will go flying! Because the semi had higher mass.

Let's say we're at regular earth gravity. The difference between a refrigerator and a cardboard box is its mass, right? So you try and push a refrigerator, but the fridge can push back with the same force before it will move because the mass with the gravity is exerting a force on the ground (F=mg remember) and that force is acting with the stationary frictional coefficient of the ground surface. While a cardboard box has lower mass so lower force acting on the ground, easier to overcome the friction. I want to draw a diagram and show you but I'm at work.

I have no idea if this is making any sense to anyone who hasn't taken any courses. Hopefully it makes some.

It totally makes sense, you explain well and I understand and knew it. My problem is I think it is extraneous data..
I was like this in science class too, I was always thinking ok you are giving me lots of data, but it all seems irrelevant.
I guess I am saying no matter what force may make the person want to move it will take less to move the 50 pounder. Or in another way of saying it the gravity is more effective on keeping the heavier fella in place?

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess I am saying no matter what force may make the person want to move it will take less to move the 50 pounder. Or in another way of saying it the gravity is more effective on keeping the heavier fella in place?

Yes. But the gravity doesn't "work" harder, which is I guess the source of my confusion. Sorry about that.

Gravity is more effective at keeping a heavier fella in place, yes.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

+++ to you Bdub. This subject totally facinates me. Do you and Michio Kaku have beers after work or something?

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
...... Same way they have that "universal translator" so you don't spend the whole show/movie reading subtitles...

I always wondered about those......do they come with a "shut the frack up" option ?????

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007

But......you are the pilot of a Starlifter and need to calculate your take off weight.....your limit is 323,100 lbs ----but you have 500,000 lbs of budgies in the back.

If you can fire a flare and get them all flying inside the plane at once, can you take off or will you be a fireball at the end of a runway ?

Is the downforce of thier wings in flight equal to the weight of them sitting on the deck ? Is it more ? Is it less ?

Better figgure it out before you hit Vr
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

But......you are the pilot of a Starlifter and need to calculate your take off weight.....your limit is 323,100 lbs ----but you have 500,000 lbs of budgies in the back.

If you can fire a flare and get them all flying inside the plane at once, can you take off or will you be a fireball at the end of a runway ?

Is the downforce of thier wings in flight equal to the weight of them sitting on the deck ? Is it more ? Is it less ?

Better figgure it out before you hit Vr

Oh, thats easy! YES.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. But the gravity doesn't "work" harder, which is I guess the source of my confusion. Sorry about that.

Gravity is more effective at keeping a heavier fella in place, yes.

Hence my attempt at humor implying Gravity will work weekdays only.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

+++ to you Bdub. This subject totally facinates me. Do you and Michio Kaku have beers after work or something?

No man. I know enough about physics to know that I know nothing about physics.

Just enough to impress the ladies is all

Hello ladies.

Hence my attempt at humor implying Gravity will work weekdays only.

Haha I think I missed that one. Whoops
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like this discussion.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yeah, I imagine the maintenance crew would have a hell of a time trying to keep the Death Star's outer hull clean. It would naturally collect space dust and debris, due to the Death Star's gravity.

The death star has some sort of a magnetic field that was strong enough to disrupt radio communications of the rebel fighters attacking it. Further, they do have some advanced force fields (as demonstrated by people standing in the landing bays as ships come and go). It's reasonable to assume that the magnetic field also helps to flow junk to specific collection points (at the poles?). I mean, we're talking about a universe where a person can just "will" a ship out of a swamp and through the air using the "force". I'm sure they have a way of keeping their ships clean that doesn't require a million squeegee kids.

To jump franchises to Babylon 5, when security was looking for missing people they thought may have been killed, they begin to check the outer surface of the station, as bodies would be pulled in due to the station's gravitational pull. (Note -- this has nothing to do with it rotating to simulate gravity via centrifugal force)

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didnt Newtons Law sort of prove that an objects weight didnt affect how gravity would act on it ...... ? If you have 1 or 2 Gs pulling on you, like say on a roller coaster, it remains 1 or 2 Gs whether you weigh 150 pnds or 250 pnds.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Weight is actually a measure of the force of gravity. So if one object weighs 180 lb and the other weighs 220 lb, the 220 lb object is being pulled harder by gravity. However, if both objects were dropped from the same height, they would both fall at the same rate (wind resistance notwithstanding). Because while gravity's pull changes depending on an object's mass, the acceleration caused by gravity remains the same. This distinction between the force of gravity and the acceleration due to gravity often confuses people.

I'd also like to note that a planet doesn't really "work" to pull stuff down. Gravity is an intrinsic property of the planet, created by the planet's mass. The planet doesn't have to "do anything" so to speak to make the gravity that holds you down. The gravity is just there.

Try to envision it this way: the fabric of space and time is like a trampoline, and a planet (or a star, or whatever) is like a bowling ball sitting in the middle. The mass of the bowling ball causes the trampoline to sag in the middle. So if you put a marble on the trampoline, it will naturally roll to the middle (i.e. toward the bowling ball). The bowling ball didn't have to do anything to make that happen. It just sat there on the trampoline. That's sort of how gravity works.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-21-2014).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's sort of how gravity works.

Sez the Helicopter guy--he knows everything there IS to know about gravity----but I am gonna one-upman-ship THIS time .....(no, not jumping out of a plane or free-jumpimg.......worse, a tethered edge=walk ....who wants in next weekend ? ... law of gravity, <psshhtt > yeh, I'll show ya how to break that law...(again )

http://www.edgewalkcntower.ca/

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-21-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

I mean, we're talking about a universe where a person can just "will" a ship out of a swamp and through the air using the "force".

It doesn't work that way here too? Darn.

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-21-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

User00013170

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Didnt Newtons Law sort of prove that an objects weight didnt affect how gravity would act on it ...... ? If you have 1 or 2 Gs pulling on you, like say on a roller coaster, it remains 1 or 2 Gs whether you weigh 150 pnds or 250 pnds.

Well the law was just a theory in newtons time. They proved ( in one example ) it on the moon when they dropped the hammer ( or wrench.. whatever ) and a feather.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac: Sez the Helicopter guy

I think you confused me with Ron (again). He's the better looking one.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-21-2014).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/ they explain how artifical gravity (at least in the NCC-1701 Enterprise) is made.

I'd imagine in the Death Star something moresinister similar is working in there perhaps plasma or some liquid metal through all those large tubes that Luke Skywalker fell down into (or towards) in the closing scenes of the Empire Strikes Back.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 06-21-2014).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think you confused me with Ron (again). He's the better looking one.

DOH !! I GOTTA learn to read the entire username...<sigh> Its only been 7 almost 8 years and I STILL aint figgured that one out !!

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gravity is measured as an acceleration. Drop two objects of different mass from the same height and neglecting wind resistance, they'll fall at exactly the same rate. Naturally, the impact of a pebble will be less than the impact of a boulder. That's where the proportional force comes into play. Acceleration due to gravity is a constant, but the force due to gravity is proportional to mass.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-21-2014).]

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. If these two men are on a roller coaster, and they are on a 2G turn, then the 150lb man would feel like he was 300lbs, while the 250lb man would feel 500lbs. The G-force would be the same, the apparent weight would be different, based on their weight under 1G. Similarly, if these men were on the moon, the 150lb man would weigh 25lbs, while the 250lb man would be 43lbs.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

I"m not sorry for hijacking this thread - GUYS! I need your help naming a force.It's not gravity, but there's some *force* out there... , Whenever I go outside without a shirt, women stick to me as if I'm magnetic. What do you call THAT?
(woa, do you talk to you mother with that mouth?!?)

that's "animal magnetism". it also explains why dogs gravitate to your leg.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again though arent we talking about vacuums vs earths atmosphere.
If that were true on earth it would be as easy to carry a 400 lb person as it would a 50 lb person.
But maybe it is true in the sense that gravity doesnt act on it differently, but it is in a sense more effective. Like I meant when I said the lighter person would float away first.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-23-2014).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again though arent we talking about vacuums vs earths atmosphere.
If that were true on earth it would be as easy to carry a 400 lb person as it would a 50 lb person.
But maybe it is true in the sense that gravity doesnt act on it differently, but it is in a sense more effective. Like I meant when I said the lighter person would float away first.

Roger's right. Gravity acts the same. The force due to gravity is proportional to mass, which is why 400lb feels heavier than 50lb.
The acceleration due to gravity is constant.
Force = mass * acceleration
Acceleration in this case is due to gravity. On earth, that's 1g.

F = mass * g

It should be obvious if the mass is higher, the Force will be higher - but gravity has not changed.

Also, don't confuse mass with weight. An object in space may be "weightless" but it's mass hasn't changed. The Force is lower because the acceleration due to gravity is close to zero. And no, the lighter person wouldn't float away first. As you reduce "g" closer to zero, the force acting on both people, though different, is still greater than zero - so they don't float away. The force reaches zero when g reaches zero - so it would happen at the same time. Even then, they wouldn't float away. Some force would have to give them a slight nudge to get them moving.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-23-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Roger's right.

Oh no. This is a can of worms bub.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Roger's right. Gravity acts the same. The force due to gravity is proportional to mass, which is why 400lb feels heavier than 50lb.
The acceleration due to gravity is constant.
Force = mass * acceleration
Acceleration in this case is due to gravity. On earth, that's 1g.

F = mass * g

It should be obvious if the mass is higher, the Force will be higher - but gravity has not changed.

Also, don't confuse mass with weight. An object in space may be "weightless" but it's mass hasn't changed. The Force is lower because the acceleration due to gravity is close to zero. And no, the lighter person wouldn't float away first. As you reduce "g" closer to zero, the force acting on both people, though different, is still greater than zero - so they don't float away. The force reaches zero when g reaches zero - so it would happen at the same time. Even then, they wouldn't float away. Some force would have to give them a slight nudge to get them moving.

Yes it seems we are all talking about the same thing just looking at it differently. Kind of story of my life.
Kinda sad the OP doesnt give opinion.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you ever wanted to know about gravity:

http://www.johnkharms.com/gravitation/
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

All you ever wanted to know about gravity:

Except why there seems to be a large portion of it missing...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock