Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Star Wars fans and avid science people... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Star Wars fans and avid science people... by pavo_roddy
Started on: 06-17-2014 07:08 PM
Replies: 81 (864 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-03-2014 03:15 PM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I was thinking today about the Death Stars in Ep 4 and 6. Would an object like a Death Star have a gravitational field affecting other objects in space? I am uncertain, I mean they would have to have gravity in order to move about walking.

Thanx,

Ear-ick

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

Do not walk infront of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend forever.
-unknown- found here: http://crystal-cure.com/love-quote.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If something has matter, it also has mass/gravity. Something the size of a deathstar would definitely have a comparable gravity well to a similar sized asteroid.

As for the gravity on the station itself, that is through artificial gravity (also used on nearly every spaxe vessel in Star Wars.)
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I imagine the maintenance crew would have a hell of a time trying to keep the Death Star's outer hull clean. It would naturally collect space dust and debris, due to the Death Star's gravity.
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would the Death Star have significantly less gravity than a comparably sized moon, as it is mostly hollow, and, therefore, has less mass?
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some ah y'all got all ya real problems solved I see. share how ya done that.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All mass exerts a gravitational force proportional to it's mass. If the Death Star had a mass the same as a moon, both would have the same gravitational field.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

All mass exerts a gravitational force proportional to it's mass. If the Death Star had a mass the same as a moon, both would have the same gravitational field.

True.....but pilots dont blow moons to smaithareens.... Not so true with imperial death stars...

The answer to the gravitional pull of a death star....is who cares?, a couple of topedoes makes the question irrelevant, and turns it into...........just HOW many magatons was that just got blown to hell ????

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 06-17-2014).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Some ah y'all got all ya real problems solved I see. share how ya done that.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does NOT have a gravitational field. It's NOT a planet, it's a DEATH STAR! Saying the Death Star has a gravitational field is like saying you can't successfully freeze a human in carbonite or the Force isn't real.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-18-2014).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

It does NOT have a gravitational field. It's NOT a planet, it's a DEATH STAR! Saying the Death Star has a gravitational field is like saying you can't successfully freeze a human in carbonite or the Force isn't real.

Even you have a gravitational field. It most certainly would.

Gravity is probably one of, if not the, weakest forces in the universe... but it is still a force. As big as the death star was, and with many components being high density materials, even with a lot of hollow space I'd imagine the gravitational pull to be quite noticeable.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero8Send a Private Message to Fiero8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

The Death Star would be similar to a sheet of Styrofoam vs a sheet of solid steel of the same size.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, the mass of the Death Star would make a gravity field of its own. But, no where near strong enough for walking about. So, as all other Star Wars/Star Trek/Stargate space ships, artificial gravity is deployed.

And, I would expect that, with artificial gravity, you could in fact cancel out any naturally created by the mass, if there was a reason to.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine don't want a gravitational field, there won't be one. Never underestimate the power of the dark side, young padawan.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It WONT have its own gravity. It acts like theres gravity by rotating or spinning. Down will always be towards the outside from the center. The ISS has no gravity despite its size because it DONT spin. No matter how much bigger they add on, it still will not generate gravity.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

If something has matter, it also has mass/gravity. Something the size of a deathstar would definitely have a comparable gravity well to a similar sized asteroid.

As for the gravity on the station itself, that is through artificial gravity (also used on nearly every spaxe vessel in Star Wars.)

HI all

Yep. How could I have forgotten something so simple, lol....

Thanx,

Air-eek
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

It WONT have its own gravity. It acts like theres gravity by rotating or spinning. Down will always be towards the outside from the center. The ISS has no gravity despite its size because it DONT spin.

Define "no".
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Define "no".

He has "no" idea what he's talking about?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-19-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:

Would the Death Star have significantly less gravity than a comparably sized moon, as it is mostly hollow, and, therefore, has less mass?

its also more dense, being made out of some high strength metal. And its full of 'stuff' in those hollow areas... So it might average out.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ISS has NO (none) kind of gravity at all. Everything on it or in it freefalls/ floats. To have even artificial gravity it would have to constantly rotate around an axis. Even that would not be 'gravity'...it would be centrifugal force artificially simulating gravity by making ' down' the outside of the vehicle meaning anything that falls inside it would fall toward the outside walls. It wouldnt make any difference with mass...the ISS could be 5,000 miles across and still would not have its own gravity ... unless it was rotating. For one thing, if it DID produce its own gravity, all the space junk in orbit near it would be attracted to and sticking to it.

So much for ME not knowing what Im talking about.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-19-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-19-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The ISS has NO (none) kind of gravity at all. Everything on it or in it freefalls/ floats. To have even artificial gravity it would have to constantly rotate around an axis. Even that would not be 'gravity'...it would be centrifugal force artificially simulating gravity by making ' down' the outside of the vehicle meaning anything that falls inside it would fall toward the outside walls. It wouldnt make any difference with mass...the ISS could be 5,000 miles across and still would not have its own gravity ... unless it was rotating. For one thing, if it DID produce its own gravity, all the space junk in orbit near it would be attracted to and sticking to it.

I to agree that Centrifugal force ( real science ) is not the same as artificial gravity ( science fiction ) but in reality the ISS does have *some* gravity. It may not be measurable by normal means, and you sure cant feel it as a human, but its there. Gravity is everywhere. How strong it is where you are is what is important.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I"m not sorry for hijacking this thread - GUYS! I need your help naming a force.It's not gravity, but there's some *force* out there... , Whenever I go outside without a shirt, women stick to me as if I'm magnetic. What do you call THAT?
(woa, do you talk to you mother with that mouth?!?)

AT first, I thought it might have been the "Axe effect", but it happens even when I haven't used any sort of product.

I'm starting to get a little scared. and chafed.
Can you pull a few off of me already?

Gah

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

I"m not sorry for hijacking this thread - GUYS! I need your help naming a force.It's not gravity, but there's some *force* out there... , Whenever I go outside without a shirt, women stick to me as if I'm magnetic. What do you call THAT?

AT first, I thought it might have been the "Axe effect", but it happens even when I haven't used any sort of product.

Gah

It already has a name: "bullsh*t"

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-19-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whenever I go outside without a shirt, women stick to me as if I'm magnetic. What do you call THAT?

Imagination? Delusion?
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All mass creates a gravitational pull.

All mass.

Does the ISS have mass?

What about a hypothetical Death Star? Any mass on it? Any at all?

Gah

theBDub curse... I am sorry that you have been stricken with this.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

theBDub curse... I am sorry that you have been stricken with this.

The DBCurse. Nothing at all on WebMB or Sickopedia...

God Lord, is there a way to break it? End it? It's getting annoying... not all of these ladies have bathed recently.

GAH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

Imagination? Delusion?

Hallucinations and Psoriasis?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I read a few articles on mass and gravity. According to what I understand everything, even light rays have 'mass' and everything that has mass affects everything else with some degree of gravity. So saying all mass has gravity is technically correct.. so,Ill go along with that. However they also state that most objects of mass produce such minute amounts of 'gravity', its not even measurable. So would a real Death Star have gravity to hold you to the floor, not likely. Of course the Death Star is really a fictional object...so it can have or do anything the writer wants it to. ISS does not have any MEASURABLE self sustaining gravity...not even enough to make a speck of rock be attracted to it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Black holes arent fictional, science has a great time with those.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
"Facilitating the Death Star's realspace propulsion were a network of powerful ion engines that transformed reactor power into needed thrust. In order for the Death Star to be a deadly threat, it needed to be mobile. Using linked banks of 123 hyperdrive field generators tied into a single navigational matrix, the Death Star could travel across the Galaxy at superluminal velocities. The incredible energies harnessed by the station combined with its great mass gave the Death Star magnetic and artificial gravitational fields equal to those found on orbital bodies many times greater in size.

The Death Star's interior followed two orientations. Those areas closest to the surface were built with concentric decks with gravity oriented towards the Death Star's core. Past this shell of surface "sprawls", the Death Star's interior had stacked decks with gravity pointing toward the station's southern pole. "
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
comparing the ISS to the DeathStar in mass is like comparing a rubber ducky to an aircraft carrier

the ISS has very little mass. I'd be surprised if it was heavier than a school bus. And, yes, the Death Star is smaller than our moon - which barely has enough gravity to keep you on the surface. So, in them regards - even the WIKI article falls short. The outter layers could not rely on natural gravity - unless the power system is ultra dense - which is entirely possible.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lt of sci fi shows just use "artificial gravity" and don't really explain it. sometimes, I think it's better that way. Same way they have that "universal translator" so you don't spend the whole show/movie reading subtitles...
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Not so much is this topic divided, lol. Here is another one, if you weigh more would gravity have to work less?

Thanx,

Ear-ick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

Not so much is this topic divided, lol. Here is another one, if you weigh more would gravity have to work less?

Thanx,

Ear-ick

It would only have to work weekdays, and would get 2 weeks of holiday.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

comparing the ISS to the DeathStar in mass is like comparing a rubber ducky to an aircraft carrier

the ISS has very little mass. I'd be surprised if it was heavier than a school bus. And, yes, the Death Star is smaller than our moon - which barely has enough gravity to keep you on the surface. So, in them regards - even the WIKI article falls short. The outter layers could not rely on natural gravity - unless the power system is ultra dense - which is entirely possible.

Its also comparing reality to fiction. I said no matter how big they could eventually make the ISS, it still would not have any gravity (measurable) produced by itself, even if it was 1,000 miles long. After reading up, I still stand by that. Since the Death Star is entirely fictional, it could be made of a material 10,000 times lighter than aluminum too, so maybe the moon size Death Star weighs in at 800 Earth pnds.

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-19-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A lt of sci fi shows just use "artificial gravity" and don't really explain it. sometimes, I think it's better that way. Same way they have that "universal translator" so you don't spend the whole show/movie reading subtitles...

The UT is explained in several shows.. in different ways. ( in some, its just a fish ).
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

Thanx,

Ear-ick

Would gravity have to work less? Do you possibly mean, would you have to try more to stay off the ground? Gravity is a force that will provide a (relatively) constant acceleration on earth of 9.81m/s^2. So the work being done is the negligibly the same as long as you don't start talking about the minute differences between gravity forces on different elevations...

Work is defined as Force x Displacement. Force is mass times acceleration. So if you have more mass with the same acceleration, you will need more work to go the same displacement off the ground. But if you use the same amount of work as when you had less mass, you will create less displacement.

I have to leave work and don't have time to proofread because that statement was a little confusing. Hopefully it made sense... and I was right.
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can see the the topic has shifted slightly, but I remember they had a couple runs of the "howstuffworks" shows on the science channel about Star Wars. They explained the Death Star and Lightsabers and what would and wouldn't work about them in real life. I tried to find a video, but to no success
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, I read a few articles on mass and gravity. According to what I understand everything, even light rays have 'mass' and everything that has mass affects everything else with some degree of gravity. So saying all mass has gravity is technically correct.. so,Ill go along with that. However they also state that most objects of mass produce such minute amounts of 'gravity', its not even measurable. So would a real Death Star have gravity to hold you to the floor, not likely. Of course the Death Star is really a fictional object...so it can have or do anything the writer wants it to. ISS does not have any MEASURABLE self sustaining gravity...not even enough to make a speck of rock be attracted to it.

I was in complete agreement after reading your first two posts that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Then I started reading this post and decided you do know something about what you are talking about.

But then you ****ed it up when you stated

"Of course the Death Star is really a fictional object"

So I'm back to YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock