Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  87/88 GT Part out /w 88 suspension. Plus 85-86 parts (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87/88 GT Part out /w 88 suspension. Plus 85-86 parts by skywurz
Started on: 11-18-2020 08:29 PM
Replies: 49 (1454 views)
Last post by: skywurz on 05-10-2021 10:36 PM
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 that's had a 88 engine and suspension system front and rear swapped into it. I am keeping the trans and parts needed for an auto to manual swap. Everything else is available.

Missing rear brakes.

Im keeping trans,cv, radiator, condenser, basically all the front end bits to fix my gt and eventually convert it to a manual.

I also have a bunch of parts from an 86 with an 87 v6 auto I just parted out and i have an 85 ill be parting out once the GT is done.

Things id be interested in trading for.
GT/SE Door skin with smooth molding
[strike]Radiator for an auto ( its complicated look at my build thread )[/strike]
[strike]Front fender lights[/strike]
Passenger Seat (non headrest speaker)
Fiberglass GT sail window louver style
V6 Exhaust (from the cat back)

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 12-04-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't swap the front 88 suspension into a pre '88 model without a fair amount of cutting and rewelding and only been done 'once' maybe 'twice'. This is probably an 88.

Got any pictures of the front suspension and the mounting areas to the spaceframe?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VIN says its an 87. The vin is all over the body panels and on the fender equipment tag. Ypu can't really move that fender equipment tag without ruining it.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-19-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double check the vin tag... only the 88s had matching lower ground effects color (they could have been painted). Even if the panels are 87 and were painted, the panels could have been installed onto an 88.

What does the vin under the windshield say the car is?

There are not any holes in the frame rail from the 84-87 upper crossmember mount, so I would say this is an actual 88.

Post of picture of the top of the rear strut towers. If it is an 84-87 with an 88 rear cradle swap, the top of the strut will not be where it is supposed to be in the strut tower. I have only seen 1 person try to swap in the 88 strut towers into an 84-87 chassis but he didn't go through with it.

There are 10+ 84-87 Fieros out in the wild that have 88 suspension front & rear. It is quite a bit of work to do, but it has been done several times.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-19-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Double check the vin tag... only the 88s had matching lower ground effects color (they could have been painted). Even if the panels are 87 and were painted, the panels could have been installed onto an 88.

What does the vin under the windshield say the car is?

Post of picture of the top of the rear strut towers. If it is an 84-87 with an 88 rear cradle swap, the top of the strut will not be where it is supposed to be in the strut tower. I have only seen 1 person try to swap in the 88 strut towers into an 84-87 chassis but he didn't go through with it.

There are 10+ 84-87 Fieros out in the wild that have 88 suspension front & rear. It is quite a bit of work to do, but it has been done several times.

The window vin tag, column vin tag and the RPO tag on the fender and the drivers door tag and about every legible vin tag has the same vin and has H as the 10th digit. The car has been re sprayed there is over spray all over.

Edit: photo

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is an 88 chassis without a doubt.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-19-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That is an 88 chassis without a doubt.

Well.. that's what ive been struggling with. When I first got it i thought it was an 88. The wrecking yard i got it from said it was an 88. The engine even has a tag from the yard that says 88.. the only thing i can figure is the vin had been swapped.. but the roset rivets and fender tag are giving me a hard time with that too... Idk all the more reason to put it down.

Edit:

Maybe once i get all of the body parts off ill see some weld marks. Someone had replaced the battery tray... Maybe they took it to a new level.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

skywurz

1030 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I would also like to mention that after I purchased this car, i ran a carfax to help me decide if i was going to restore it, or the white GT i also purchased from the same yard. (This is actually when i first discovered the year difference and had to re check the vin 10 times)

In 1990 this car was sold in auction after a rear end collision. It was first sold March 88 so for a 2 year old car to be totaled out im thinking the rear damage had to be extreme. Perhaps somebody did the shady take 2 wrecked cars and glue them together approach. Doesn't account for the front end but this is what i have as far as information.

This would all be good and well if i was trying to sell this car or put it on the road but I have a Junk certificate and that's about what we have going on here.

So anyone interested in some parts? 😅

Once I have this one broken down I have another i have to break then i get to work on my keepers again. I have a good idea of what parts i need to keep for my projects and what id like to keep just in case.

But i don't need 3 sets of body panels or 2 v6 engines with 87-88 intakes, or 3 automatic transmissions or this 4spd muncie or 2 dukes... Or some engine cradles (tho i may be tempted to swap this 88 into my wife's 85se) I should have an extra 4 spd shifter 5 spd shifter auto shifter and set of auto and manual peddles. I should have extra headlight assemblies. I don't need 3 back windows or 3 sets of sunroofs. I also dont need these 84 13" wheels or 2 sets of pre 88 basket gt wheels.

Shoot me offers im reasonable. I just don't like shipping to things that don't fit in flat rate boxes.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have an 88 lumbar drivers seat id probably be willing to part with.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-20-2020).]

coolink13

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am curious ? How much are you asking for the lumbar seat?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking $200 in person pick up.

Im working on figuring out logistics for slightly larger items like heads,intakes, wiring harnesses, a-arms.
but right now seats, dashboards, doors so on would have to be in person.
PFF
System Bot
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I have an 87 that's had a 88 engine and suspension system front and rear swapped into it. I am keeping the trans and parts needed for an auto to manual swap. Everything else is available.

PM sent
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Im not sure how i have so many 😖

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-21-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i have found some interesting welds on the interior as well as some frame damage by the rear window.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2020 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cold weather has slowed me down a little. But i still have bunches of parts.

I have an 86 cradle

Im getting ready to drop the rear cradle on this. Once i do i will try a second time to get this engine to crank so i can do a compression test. I will then have an 88 cradle and rear suspension available.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2020 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent but I am also in need of the horn activation parts (pin, spring, and plastic lock). Please let me know what you want for this shipped to 29212.

Nelson
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2020 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All PMs replied to.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 cradle and rear suspension and this front suspension if someone in CA wants to do something with it.
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what was the last 6 digits in the vin number after the HP
That may help if it could have been a real late production run car.
Just a thought..

Plus the car looks like it was silver to start, then painted red??

[This message has been edited by FIERO JOHN-WI (edited 12-18-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO JOHN-WI:

what was the last 6 digits in the vin number after the HP
That may help if it could have been a real late production run car.
Just a thought..

Plus the car looks like it was silver to start, then painted red??

No, I have never heard of late 87s ending up with 88 suspension. I doubt this actually happened as they would have had to retool for 88. This retool would have happened after the 87 run was done. I found non factory welds and a lot a non factory caulking covering the non factory welds. Found a second vin in multiple places that is an 88 vin. Ran both vins both were sold at auction in the same state around the same time in 1990. the 88 vin no longer gets updated after that but the 87 vin does.

What i would guess from the welds and from the reports the 87 was in a major rear end collision and the 88 had hit something in the front and damaged the A pillars. (moose maybe) The 88 had been reported as a total loss but the 87 had not.

Someone had cut the roof off and put it back on mid b pillar at the speakers, this continued down along the whole front window frame. They did this without removing the 87 VIN tag. Im guessing because this was early 90s they were able to buy a new fender sticker. There were some other areas where sheet metal was not right but the car has since been in multiple accidents and had some strange workmanship done. It gets sold at a dealer and financed later in 90 then back to auction in 91then sold at a dealer and financed. then it goes through may owners still being financed all the way up to 2002. This whole time it bounces between Illinois and Missouri. it then turns owners a couple times then goes to a dealership in 2008 where the miles are last reported. It had last reported 110k miles on it in 2008. 2 years later it ended up in the wrecking yard in CA i picked it up from.
At any rate its been put out of its misery.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 12-18-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

skywurz

1030 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I cut the front end mounting brackets from the frame. They will go with the front end.

I think im looking for 200 for the front with the steering rack and calipers.

200 for the rear cradle with rear suspension, and v6 front engine mount bracket. Local pickup only.

Also still have that grey drivers lumbar seat local pickup on that too.

PFF
System Bot
Dsanchez214

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dsanchez214Send a Private Message to Dsanchez214Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where in Cali are you?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dsanchez214:

where in Cali are you?

Between SF and Sac
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New years bump plus i have my last parts car out of storage and ready to star pulling apart.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent regarding headlights/headlight harness.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Responded to.
ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey bud

I noticed you have an assortment of headlight parts. I am looking for one of the plastic black bushings that goes on each screw that attaches the bucket assembly to the motor assembly. Someone had “repaired” my headlights prior to me purchasing the car and they left one of the bushings out and the bucket assembly rattles around. I just need the plastic bushing, I left the bolt in the picture for reference. I’ll add some pics of what I need. Thanks!

88GT

Steve

ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I located the headlight bushing I needed. Thanks.
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the pleasure of doing business with Skywurz today, nice guy. Got me a pile of plastic parts I needed (thankfully I'm relatively local), even helped me load up the truck. Mighta been some chatting about Fieros too, so bonus points for putting up with me yapping on a bit as us old geezers are prone to doing.

-- A
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in the cooling tubes if they're not crushed. Honestly, I only need the portion about a foot before the rear as that's where they crushed mine (you could cut the pieces off and ship). LMK.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

I'd be interested in the cooling tubes if they're not crushed. Honestly, I only need the portion about a foot before the rear as that's where they crushed mine (you could cut the pieces off and ship). LMK.

If you are talking 88
The 88 tube on the drivers side was already missing the last foot. The passenger side may be ok.

If you are taking pre 88 i have a couple sets.
PFF
System Bot
cle_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cle_fieroSend a Private Message to cle_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi! I'm on the hunt for 87/8 headlight motors and/or a front lamp harness and control module. Any chance you have some you'd part with in that stack of headlight bits haha?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cle_fiero:

Hi! I'm on the hunt for 87/8 headlight motors and/or a front lamp harness and control module. Any chance you have some you'd part with in that stack of headlight bits haha?

Tech post replied to and PM sent.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you are talking 88
The 88 tube on the drivers side was already missing the last foot. The passenger side may be ok.

If you are taking pre 88 i have a couple sets.

Need 88; need the passenger side anyway
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 88 suspension is sold.

Still have pre 88 suspension. Factory spindles, pre 88 calipers. Odds and ends.
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked most of those red GT body panels yesterday, thanks again for the parts & Fiero conversation!

Forgot to get a picture of the entire rear fastback section strapped onto the roof of my wagon

------------------
Jaybeezi's 3800SC Swap

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybeezi:

Picked most of those red GT body panels yesterday, thanks again for the parts & Fiero conversation!

Forgot to get a picture of the entire rear fastback section strapped onto the roof of my wagon

MMS with photo sent
ike50701

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2021 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ike50701Send a Private Message to ike50701Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in the drivers door off the 85 if it'll work on my 84... can't remember which doors interchange
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2021 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i remember correctly; full doors swap on all years, its the door skin and door skin mounting points that are the problem. Ie the door has different holes for the skin mounting. Car-part.com says North End Auto Wrecking out there in Iowa has an 84 drivers side.
ike50701

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2021 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ike50701Send a Private Message to ike50701Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If i remember correctly; full doors swap on all years, its the door skin and door skin mounting points that are the problem. Ie the door has different holes for the skin mounting. Car-part.com says North End Auto Wrecking out there in Iowa has an 84 drivers side.

I currently have an 86 or 87 door on it and the skin catches the fender, I've done everything possible to adjust both to no avail. Thanks for the lead, didn't think of carpart. I drive semi all over so picking stuff up isn't usually a problem
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock