87/88 GT Part out /w 88 suspension. Plus 85-86 parts by skywurz
Started on: 11-18-2020 08:29 PM
Replies: 14 (312 views)
Last post by: skywurz on 12-04-2020 08:08 PM
skywurz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 that's had a 88 engine and suspension system front and rear swapped into it. I am keeping the trans and parts needed for an auto to manual swap. Everything else is available.

Missing rear brakes.

Im keeping trans,cv, radiator, condenser, basically all the front end bits to fix my gt and eventually convert it to a manual.

I also have a bunch of parts from an 86 with an 87 v6 auto I just parted out and i have an 85 ill be parting out once the GT is done.

Things id be interested in trading for.
GT/SE Door skin with smooth molding
[strike]Radiator for an auto ( its complicated look at my build thread )[/strike]
[strike]Front fender lights[/strike]
Passenger Seat (non headrest speaker)
Fiberglass GT sail window louver style
V6 Exhaust (from the cat back)

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 12-04-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msweldon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't swap the front 88 suspension into a pre '88 model without a fair amount of cutting and rewelding and only been done 'once' maybe 'twice'. This is probably an 88.

Got any pictures of the front suspension and the mounting areas to the spaceframe?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VIN says its an 87. The vin is all over the body panels and on the fender equipment tag. Ypu can't really move that fender equipment tag without ruining it.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-19-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double check the vin tag... only the 88s had matching lower ground effects color (they could have been painted). Even if the panels are 87 and were painted, the panels could have been installed onto an 88.

What does the vin under the windshield say the car is?

There are not any holes in the frame rail from the 84-87 upper crossmember mount, so I would say this is an actual 88.

Post of picture of the top of the rear strut towers. If it is an 84-87 with an 88 rear cradle swap, the top of the strut will not be where it is supposed to be in the strut tower. I have only seen 1 person try to swap in the 88 strut towers into an 84-87 chassis but he didn't go through with it.

There are 10+ 84-87 Fieros out in the wild that have 88 suspension front & rear. It is quite a bit of work to do, but it has been done several times.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-19-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Double check the vin tag... only the 88s had matching lower ground effects color (they could have been painted). Even if the panels are 87 and were painted, the panels could have been installed onto an 88.

What does the vin under the windshield say the car is?

Post of picture of the top of the rear strut towers. If it is an 84-87 with an 88 rear cradle swap, the top of the strut will not be where it is supposed to be in the strut tower. I have only seen 1 person try to swap in the 88 strut towers into an 84-87 chassis but he didn't go through with it.

There are 10+ 84-87 Fieros out in the wild that have 88 suspension front & rear. It is quite a bit of work to do, but it has been done several times.

The window vin tag, column vin tag and the RPO tag on the fender and the drivers door tag and about every legible vin tag has the same vin and has H as the 10th digit. The car has been re sprayed there is over spray all over.

Edit: photo

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is an 88 chassis without a doubt.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-19-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That is an 88 chassis without a doubt.

Well.. that's what ive been struggling with. When I first got it i thought it was an 88. The wrecking yard i got it from said it was an 88. The engine even has a tag from the yard that says 88.. the only thing i can figure is the vin had been swapped.. but the roset rivets and fender tag are giving me a hard time with that too... Idk all the more reason to put it down.

Edit:

Maybe once i get all of the body parts off ill see some weld marks. Someone had replaced the battery tray... Maybe they took it to a new level.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also like to mention that after I purchased this car, i ran a carfax to help me decide if i was going to restore it, or the white GT i also purchased from the same yard. (This is actually when i first discovered the year difference and had to re check the vin 10 times)

In 1990 this car was sold in auction after a rear end collision. It was first sold March 88 so for a 2 year old car to be totaled out im thinking the rear damage had to be extreme. Perhaps somebody did the shady take 2 wrecked cars and glue them together approach. Doesn't account for the front end but this is what i have as far as information.

This would all be good and well if i was trying to sell this car or put it on the road but I have a Junk certificate and that's about what we have going on here.

So anyone interested in some parts? 😅

Once I have this one broken down I have another i have to break then i get to work on my keepers again. I have a good idea of what parts i need to keep for my projects and what id like to keep just in case.

But i don't need 3 sets of body panels or 2 v6 engines with 87-88 intakes, or 3 automatic transmissions or this 4spd muncie or 2 dukes... Or some engine cradles (tho i may be tempted to swap this 88 into my wife's 85se) I should have an extra 4 spd shifter 5 spd shifter auto shifter and set of auto and manual peddles. I should have extra headlight assemblies. I don't need 3 back windows or 3 sets of sunroofs. I also dont need these 84 13" wheels or 2 sets of pre 88 basket gt wheels.

Shoot me offers im reasonable. I just don't like shipping to things that don't fit in flat rate boxes.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have an 88 lumbar drivers seat id probably be willing to part with.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-20-2020).]

coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Click Here to Email coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am curious ? How much are you asking for the lumbar seat?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking $200 in person pick up.

Im working on figuring out logistics for slightly larger items like heads,intakes, wiring harnesses, a-arms.
but right now seats, dashboards, doors so on would have to be in person.
PFF
System Bot
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I have an 87 that's had a 88 engine and suspension system front and rear swapped into it. I am keeping the trans and parts needed for an auto to manual swap. Everything else is available.

PM sent
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Im not sure how i have so many 😖

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-21-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i have found some interesting welds on the interior as well as some frame damage by the rear window.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2020 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cold weather has slowed me down a little. But i still have bunches of parts.

I have an 86 cradle

Im getting ready to drop the rear cradle on this. Once i do i will try a second time to get this engine to crank so i can do a compression test. I will then have an 88 cradle and rear suspension available.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock