Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Sunroof tracks Stainless and powder coated mild steel (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sunroof tracks Stainless and powder coated mild steel by silver 85 sc
Started on: 04-11-2012 05:21 PM
Replies: 274 (11771 views)
Last post by: CaptDean on 01-01-2024 07:20 PM
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New price $106 includes shipping to lower 48 states

Well here goes, I am going to officially announce that I am going to produce new stainless and mild steel sunroof tracks or channels or whatever you want to call them. I hope to have the first run complete on Saturday. Since it appears that I will have to buy a full sheet of stainless to start I would like to get some verbal orders going. (notice I said verbal) I think I can get around 30 sets out of a 48" x 120" sheet of stainless. Price will be $95.00 plus shipping. Here is the original thread that started it all:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060785.html

These will be made out of 20 ga (.036") 304 stainless steel with welded studs instead of the spot welded t-nuts (or the rivet nuts if I have problems studding them), so the channels will be flat and not have the indentations. I have the prototypes (made from powder coated mild steel) at work and if I can find a memory stick and get PIP to work I will be posting pictures. I can offer the mild steel also if anyone is interested, and the price will be $60.00 per set. Shipping will run around $10.00 per set/package.

And of course don't forget the other goodies I am putting together:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054658.html

And yes, I will be putting together the 30th anniversary goodies, and will be putting the list together as the event draws closer. (Yes there will be numbered key chains just like the 20th and the 25th just for a heads up)

Rich

[This message has been edited by silver 85 sc (edited 02-12-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll make a verbal commitment to a stainless set.

-fh
701GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 701GTSend a Private Message to 701GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i hope im on the list for a stainless set just send me a PM when you have a set ready with total to 47356
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for the stainless set.
Driver_WT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Driver_WTSend a Private Message to Driver_WTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take a stainless set. I had also responded to the earlier post.

Wade

------------------
1984 Fiero, Black notchback, 355 SBC, 4 speed

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And as I said in the original thread Ill take a stainless set! Let me know when they are available.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

wolfwolf

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wolfwolfSend a Private Message to wolfwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take a stainless set. Send me a note when available with shipping to 54302. Do you take PayPal? Thanks
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for a set of SS, already sent a PM.
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am working on Saturday. We (my brother and I he runs the CNC roller) are going to try the short material, and we will see what happens. If we can get the 48" material to work I should be able to get 10 sets! If It doesn't work I will have to buy some material and try again.

Rich
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update,

The panel bender was scheduled for production yesterday so I was unable to get the channels formed. The material is cut and waiting for bending. I will get a set bent tomorrow on break or before work, and hopefully I can get the rolling done. Will keep everyone posted. I have sheared enough material for 8 sets. So keep you fingers crossed.

Rich
fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To late for a set to zip 75762. If not please include a set for me.

Mike Parker
Flint, Texas 75762
PFF
System Bot
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroseblack:

To late for a set to zip 75762. If not please include a set for me.

Mike Parker
Flint, Texas 75762

Your on the list

Rich
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like a set of stainless, shipped to 59484.

Thanks.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, otherwise stock L36.

Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for 2

Toronto Ontario
Canada
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting closer. Got some bending done, now for the rolling and studding!! And, from the looks of things I need to get some more stainless. The bends match up perfectly to the sample set I have!

Rich
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should have 2 sets tomorrow. All I have to do is stud and drill. Have 7 sets cut out and have material for 9.
Rich
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have run into one small problem. I am having trouble lining up the rivet holes. So I can do one of 2 things, make the holes bigger and include the rivets and washers, or they can be drilled on site. Give me your opinions and we will get them into production!! I have 2 sets that I need to trim, and will make more this week!! I have a gasket that I will set up and post pictures later.

Rich
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ones the Fiero Store used to sell came without holes. You had to drill them yourself. I think leaving the holes undrilled would be fine.
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have an assembly and here are the pictures. These seem to be on the loose side, however the tracks match the samples that were sent to me. They will tighten a little bit when bolted in place due to the welded stud pulling the middle of the track. Maybe this is enough, Maybe they need some adhesive I will take suggestions. There are no holes for the rivets. I know that they look rectangular, but the windshield track does have the curve. I don't know if it is the right curve, but it is really close to what I have for a sample.

Rich

[This message has been edited by silver 85 sc (edited 04-21-2012).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put it to the test. Do you have a test mule to put it on to see how it fits?

Dave
FieroUte

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroUteSend a Private Message to FieroUteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So just to clarify, this will fix the leaky sunroof without drilling into the body of the car? I'll take a set in stainless! Also, how hard is it to install?

Thanks!
Tyler
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by silver 85 sc:
These seem to be on the loose side, Maybe this is enough, Maybe they need some adhesive I will take suggestions.

both of my cars the gasket was stuck to the tracks with some sort of adhesive. not sure if this was OEM or PO. Also the track was stuck to the roof sedection as well. Mine didn't leak, they are just rotted out.

Originally posted by FieroUte:

So just to clarify, this will fix the leaky sunroof without drilling into the body of the car? I'll take a set in stainless! Also, how hard is it to install?

Thanks!
Tyler

Not necessarily. This will fix the problem of rotted sunroof gasket tracks that you encounter when replacing the gasket. But the leak you have could be from another problem. If you have ever pulled the rear clip off a Fiero there is a rubber gasket between the clip and roof section, i suspect that if that gasket were missing or damaged that may cause a leak too.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 04-22-2012).]

silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here we go! The first set is installed on my 86 SE fastback. And here is how it went!

Here the glass is removed

Here is the gasket removal using a putty knife to delicately remove the adhesive

Here goes the gasket

Gasket removed

Yep tracks are completely shot

Cleaning the track slots

Test fit

First piece successful!!

lining up the front clips. put one rivet in on passenger side then went over and marked the drivers side. Drilled out new rivet and then finished the holes in the track

Marked the driver's clip location

looking really pretty

Really really nice

Here comes the old gasket (It's all I have)

Here is the adhesive I used putting it in the same locations that the factory did

Now the glass is back in to let the adhesive set where it needs to

Here is how the studs look in the cab

Over all I think the install went very well. I did have a little issue with one of the side pieces, it seemed a little wide. So I put it in my vice and did a little edge to edge squeeze. For those that caught it I did not install 3 rivets on the windshield side. I am not sure they are needed and are a complete pain in the you know what to get in. After I was completed I thought that maybe these can be glued in. There are plenty of good adhesives that would do just as good a job as the rivets, but I will leave that up to the installer. So it is now 100% official they are now for sale.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest a bead of gasket glue on the roof clip prior to installing the gasket rails just as an extra precaution.

Dave
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

I would suggest a bead of gasket glue on the roof clip prior to installing the gasket rails just as an extra precaution.

Dave

I did that, forgot to mention it. Thanks Dave.

Rich
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put me down for a set....stainless is my first choice, if not available then i'll take the steel ones....shipping to 07764. also do you take paypal? i'm not in a hurry so if it takes a couple weeks to get them... no problem
thanks
al
btw..way to go with the detailed instructions!!!

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 04-23-2012).]

Driver_WT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driver_WTSend a Private Message to Driver_WTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take a set of stainless asap. I have a new gasket waiting to get installed. Please quote cost shipped to River John, NS B0K 1N0 via USPS Priority Post International.

Let me know how to pay.

Thanks.

Wade

------------------

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What sort of bolts did you use to secure them to the roof? Looks like regular rivets on the top side, bolts on the bottom?
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

What sort of bolts did you use to secure them to the roof? Looks like regular rivets on the top side, bolts on the bottom?

These are welded studs. The studs are welded to the bottom side of the track. So on the bottom side all we need is a 6mm washer and nut. The rivets are 1/8" with 1/4" grip.

I have enough material cut out to make 6 sets right now. The windshield tracks are completely bent and rolled.

Rich

[This message has been edited by silver 85 sc (edited 04-23-2012).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for a set.
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, been a while since i ripped a set off....PM sent.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 04-24-2012).]

Driver_WT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Driver_WTSend a Private Message to Driver_WTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be possible for you to post a list of what you believe the production/shipping order is so that interested members can get some idea of where we stand on the production list. Also, please post payment instructions.

Thanks.

Wade

------------------

silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer pay pal since I have already had a customer lose a money order in the mail. I have one set ready to go, and have 6 sets ready to stud at work. It is on a first come first serve basis. I hope to have an answer tomorrow on when my material comes in for the next round (should be enough for 30 sets). I have been working on these every day. I also have to find some shipping tubes.

On an installation note I forgot to add when tightening the nuts only tighten until you see deflection in the track. Which reminds me I have to get some lock nuts. I am also thinking about getting rid of the rivet washers needed to install these. I think that I will make a strip that goes under the roof panel in the shape of an L. I know that this will make the installation go much smoother.

Rich
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shipping tubes will be here tomorrow. I have 6 sets ready for studding at work and the set I have ready, will ship when I get the shipping tubes. So I think by Monday I will have 6 packages ready for names and addresses. I do take paypal. Who wants to be a part of the first round?

Rich
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
like i said earlier, i am not ready for them just yet...so if there are others that need them right away i will wait for the second run. if you don't get these six sold then pm me the paypal info and total and i'll send payment. zip is 07764 and stainless is my first prefernce. i don't want to make someone wait if they really need them now, i haven't taken mine apart yet.
thanks
al
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The UPS man just dropped of a big box of tubes! I'll have 6 sets ready some time tomorrow. Who wants them?

Rich
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your wasting your money on shipping tubes. The USPS has 2 different size triangle boxes that are free. You can order them straight off of www.usps.com
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Your wasting your money on shipping tubes. The USPS has 2 different size triangle boxes that are free. You can order them straight off of www.usps.com

So how do I get a 39" part in a 37" box? Do you want your parts showing up punched through the end of the box? The tubes I bought only cost me $1.81 ea, with plastic end caps.

Rich

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by silver 85 sc:

So how do I get a 39" part in a 37" box? Do you want your parts showing up punched through the end of the box? The tubes I bought only cost me $1.81 ea, with plastic end caps.

Rich

I guess you could tape two together if they are free. I have been known to make a "frankenbox" in my day.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock