Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  And now for something completely different (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
And now for something completely different by artworks
Started on: 03-26-2012 08:23 AM
Replies: 204 (25378 views)
Last post by: Will on 09-10-2023 09:27 PM
artworks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 07-15-2017).]

IP: Logged
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
The back end of the car is starting to go back together. We're waiting for CHRF to finish the Northstar build and ship it back to Illinois, then the cradle can make its final installation into the car. Lots of plumbing still needed to be done.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks fantastic... absolutely love the attention to detail.
FieroFastBackL67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFastBackL67Send a Private Message to FieroFastBackL67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I like what your doing its looking great. I think you meant the Honda Pilot. The Honda Odyssey had no independent suspension in the back only in the front and the Axles are welded to the frame but... The Pilot had full front and rear independent suspension and they are a serious blast of fun and built like a tank and will take a serious beating. Any way neat to see someone doing this build.

Originally posted by artworks:

I had a dream. It started when I bought a Honda Odyssey - not the underpowered minivan with more cupholders than seats, I'm talking about the 1980's vintage single seat go kart, the one with a fully independent suspension. I found one on eBay with a 65 HP 4 cylinder motorcycle engine and front suspension off a Yamaha Banchee. I love driving this cart! It'll do 70 MPH in a cornfield, floating over the bumps. I've spent the last several years dialing it in - reworked the steering so it now has positive caster, changed the gearing for better launches, changed the clutch and shifter so a paraplegic can drive it, etc.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, I meant the Odyssey - the original Odyssey's had no rear suspension and a lousy J-Arm front suspension. However they made an Odyssey with a 350 CC engine, reverse gear and full rear suspension. They then upgraded it to the Pilot. My Odyssey has been enhanced with a 4 cylinder, 4 stroke Honda bike motor with sequential trans, widened rear suspension and front suspension off of a Yamaha Banshee quad runner. Here's a picture of me driving that toy:

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
The motor is coming together nicely. It's still at CHRF being put together by Alan Johnson. He's come up with a sweet cam and rocker cover and welded an oil filler to it.

FieroFastBackL67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFastBackL67Send a Private Message to FieroFastBackL67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very weird I have never seen that version of the Odessey. That's cool. Thanks for showing me ;-)

Nope, I meant the Odyssey - the original Odyssey's had no rear suspension and a lousy J-Arm front suspension. However they made an Odyssey with a 350 CC engine, reverse gear and full rear suspension. They then upgraded it to the Pilot. My Odyssey has been enhanced with a 4 cylinder, 4 stroke Honda bike motor with sequential trans, widened rear suspension and front suspension off of a Yamaha Banshee quad runner. Here's a picture of me driving that toy:

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New lower control arms for the rear.

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This IS something completely different. Very nice work.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is exciting - Alan Johnson at CHRF sent me a video of the Northstar running. It doesn't yet have his custom headers installed, and this is NOT a nitrous run, just proof that...IT'S ALIVE!

Sorry, Photobucket has taken down the link.

http://vid1195.photobucket....ksfree/Northstar.mp4

davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! This thing is going to be a beast. Don't know what part of IL your in but when your done I have to see this in person. I live south of St.Louis and would have no problem driving my Fiero to see this piece of automotive art. Thanks for the pics and updates
PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in NW IL - near Galena. I visited Fierorama this fall in St. Charles but not with the car (obviously). It would be great if I can have it finished for the 2016 Fierorama.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The new wheels came! 17"x8" for the rear; 17"x7" for the front. Please note that they're not done yet. They need to have a hard anodization done for a matte black finish. I'm going with a MIL-A-8625 Type III hardcoat finish with a nickel acetate seal to fill the pores.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that was an adventure. Yesterday I drove from Illinois to Detroit to drop off the wheels for the hardcoat finish. The weather was terrible and it took me over 12 hours to go 400 miles. But the wheels are going to look great!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

I will never be a great fabricator. I know a few and I am certain that I'll never be able to match their skill, much to my envy. But I have ideas, and I like to bring them to life. I've been trying to express this particular idea but don't have the CAD skills to show all that I imagine. So I built a 1/2 scale model out of plywood and 1/2" tube. And some recycled cardboard for the spare tire.

It will need some gas shocks to help lift the weight of the tire, and a good way to spread the weight across the 'glass decklid.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

I will never be a great fabricator...

Yeah riiiiiight. Very nice 1/2 scale mock up. I can see what you have done there, and can easily envision creating a full size spare carrier. Cool stuff.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor is done and ready for shipment! Alan Johnson sent this photo, with the polished cam covers.
The 4T80E trans is also being rebuilt with all good hardparts and a new converter. Interestingly, the factory converter for this engine and trans combination is a 10". Of course, Northstar's like to rev high.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard anodized wheels are finished!

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! What size tires are you going with? That Northstar is sweet!

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 01-13-2016).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the rear the tires will be BF Goodrich All Terrain T'A K02 245/65/17; fronts will be the same tire but 225/65/17. The rears are 29.5" tall and 9.8" wide. The fronts are 28.5" tall.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress!

PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's rolling on its own! Well, you still have to push it...

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work. Love the spacious shop.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the coolest Fieros out there. Great job and keep sending us updates.

Rob
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out this video. This is my kind of Fiero owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReiWG7fquzw

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 02-20-2016).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor and trans are back in the cradle and ready for fabrication of a new set of headers.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The stock exhaust never looked so good.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

guitarfreak235

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very well done so far, love the attention to detail. Hopefully I have the time and funds to do something similar someday! Love the idea of a fiero buggy thing

Don't stop!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love coming back to this thread over the years. I have really enjoyed following the build and lock forward to seeing this BAD@ss Fiero being completed.

You are getting serious close...I am Sure that Fiero can almost taste the sand!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is an awesome thread- (I love the J) - one question, though... How will you keep those coolant fins clean? Do you think they will get clogged up and bent from road crap /dirt/sand?

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 07-18-2016).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great question. The plan is to bolt an aluminum skid plate to the bottom side of the frame rails, with vent holes in the plate for air flow. That should keep the big debris out. I'm glad you like the thread. I only wish I was faster at getting this done. I'm getting old!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I asked Larry Williams of Larry Williams Design to provide me with some sketches of what the car should look like when finished. I really like his work.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2017 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really cool build. Thanx for sharing it. ++

Bob
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress!

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks to good to get dirty lol ! Looks like your on the home stretch on the heavy part of the job. Cant wait to see the paint and interior. Great job
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More pics of the tire carrier. This will also be the decklid lift mechanism

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a PITA! Photobucket blocked all of the pics on this build - I've just spent several hours reposting the photos using the Pennock app - thank you Cliff for providing that app!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock