Started on: 04-29-2011 08:56 PM
Replies: 277 (26190 views)
Last post by: jetfighterv on 01-24-2018 01:40 PM
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi!

Well, I have finally pulled the trigger and am having a swap done to my 88 GT. Here's the victim:

I had intended to do this swap in my previous 87 GT as shown in this thread: Sourmug's Decklid Vent Build

Alas, it was not to be as I bit off more than I could chew at the time. Having learned from that experience (who said an old dog can't learn new tricks? ) I started to investigate who would be qualified as a potential installer. I have had good recommendations from a number of forum members concerning fieroking (Joe Sokol) and his attention to detail so I contacted Joe last year. After a number of e-mails and phone conversations I was very impressed with what I was hearing and so my wife and I paid Joe a visit to meet him and discuss what I would like to have done. Joe is a heck of a nice person and he answered all my questions and I have decided that he is the one who will do the work.

Over the last 6 months or so I have been collecting parts and have been sending them to Joe and yesterday I drove my car down to Couer d'Alene Idaho to begin the swap. As of right now my car is sitting snug at his place and the work will commence in a week or so:

Here is the engine that will be going in:

The engine is a zero mile GM replacement engine that I purchased on E-Bay and it's been sitting at Joe's place all winter and the suspense has been killing me, it felt like winter was never going to end...

Here are the plans:

1. Engine swap, obviously, OBD II PCM
2. Engine bay clean up
3. Battery relocation to the front
4. Powder coating on the engine, cradle and suspension.
5. Ceramic coating the exhaust.
6. Rear coil overs and new front shocks - KYB
7. Power steering - I know it's blasphemy, but hey, it's my car
8. Side scoops

I will provide updates when I can as Joe's place is 7 hours away from me. (Joe this means you'll have to update me too )

I'm all giddy as a school girl.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 08-07-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is great news that your swap will begin soon. I love your arm rest and cup holders. You wouldn't happen to have a write-up on that do you?

What steering rack are you using for the power steering? I was considering the same thing on my LQ1 swap as well.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased the cup holder/armrest and console door from TXGOOD see this Thread. He's got a gread product and I recommend it!

The rack will be a 2000 +/- Camaro rack.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-29-2011).]

TiredGXP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing your progress

(I kind of regret going with a 3.1 instead of the DOHC 3.4)
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah. Thanks for the info.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-30-2011 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What? No gathering of Fiero nuts while you were in the area? Just kidding. Looking forward to see what Joe is going to do with your very nice GT.

Tony
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any plans for your stock steering rack? Keep, sell, hang curtains from?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TiredGXP: I understand. I had to think long and hard, it was very tempting to just do a regular 3.4 but I knew that I really wanted the DOHC.

Tony: Sorry, we didn't all get together. Hopefully we can when I go down to pick it up in a couple of months.

Reallybig: I hadn't actually thought about it, I am assuming you need one?

Thanks
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-30-2011).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan, that`s a great upgrade.
You will have a practically new Fiero.
Mike
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! The DOHC V6 is one of the few engine swaps I'd like to own one of these days.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice thread! if you can please post all the info you can for this swap. i have a 95 monte carlo z34 with this motor and i was thinking hmmmmmm i have a gt in the garage with a bad motor
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I'll post everything that I can.

Nolan
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan does a fantastic job of updating his threads...I am looking forward to the progress reports!

Yes, I will most likely need to eventually either rebuild my rack or replace it with a low mileage one such as yours. All things considered, it's an option for me if it is for you! I'm sure there are others who will get in line for a good rack if you plan on selling it.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Reallybig:

PM sent

Thanks
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 05-03-2011).]

sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey man congrats on another fiero plz dont part this one out. btw all your stuff looks good and your craftsmanship has been top notch
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sergioazevedo:

PM sent
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for a quick update.

The Swap is underway!! Here are a few pictures:

And the empty bay:

I'm so excited
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Oh, the complete 2.8 and exhaust are available if anyone is interested. It only has 25,000 miles on it.

Let me know if you are interested.
Nolan
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome Nolan! Going to Joe's today to pick something up so looking forward to seeing her naked engine bay!

Jeff

------------------

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Self explanitory...
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Self explanitory...

Yup

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good how will you be mounting it on your cradle just stock mounts or some thing fabed up I know there are many opinions on the matter
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe's doing the swap but it will have 4 mounts, no dogbone.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 06-12-2011).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wish i had a new engine but oh well i will be happy just to get mine in and running I all so wish my car was that nice
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sourmug:

Oh, the complete 2.8 and exhaust are available if anyone is interested. It only has 25,000 miles on it.

Let me know if you are interested.
Nolan

Nolan, I sent you a PM about this. Drop me a note and let me know.

Robert
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robert

PM back at you.

Nolan
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen this car. It is amazing! I cannot remember the exact mileage on the 2.8, but it is under 30,000. Nolan's car is easily one of the best condition 88s out there, and anyone buying this engine cannot go wrong. I thought that I had OCD issues...

Tony
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan - PM sent (obviously before I read the whole thread too).

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tim: PM replied to, thanks for your interest however the engine has been sold.

Nolan
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

The front end is all apart and the steering rack is out:

And the engine is being test fitted to the cradle:

Nolan
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure you don;t need to remove the steering rack to put a new engine in LOL.! Unless it's going up front that is
Gotta love that motor, I sure miss mine

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave:

Rack? What rack?

Your comments about the DOHC over the years are some of the reasons I chose to go with this motor. I sure hope that you will be able to get another one.

Nolan
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see you're using four mounting points, deleting the Fiero center mount. I plan to go back and do that on mine for exhaust purposes. Be sure to cut the mount plate off the cradle; it allows a straighter shot for the exhaust pipe to the muffler.

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, 3.4 DOHC crate motor with Getrag 5-speed. Finishing up Corvette power steering setup and then on to a 6-speed installation.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust routing will be similar to Joe's car and will look something like this:

From this thread: Yet another 3.4 DOHC Build

And in this thread too: My New 3.4 DOHC Exhaust

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 06-18-2011).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I see. I ran mine like stock Fiero so I could use a cat.

Another project I want to do is the decklid hinge mount modification: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085829.html As careful as I was with the cutting for the cam cover it still looks ragged. If you're not going to re-use the torsion springs, I think this is a great mod.

Neil
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it looks like all the black bits (cradle, suspension) are off to the powder coaters today or tomorrow

Nolan
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know why I even look at your thread. Your car is only 21/2 miles from my home and I can look at the real thing anytime I want. Great looking car and it reminds me of my first fiero and following Doug Chases build thread on his 3.4 dohc swap a long time ago. In all my fieros though I never had one as clean as yours.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Don

But I can't take a whole bunch of credit as I've only owned the car for a few years. The original owner was quite particular about maintaining the car and then he sold it to a local collector. The collector had it for a number of years and it was only driven occasionally. He had two 88 GTs exactly the same and decided to sell the "high mileage" one which I bought with 17,500 miles on it and he kept the "low mileage" one which only had 5600 miles on it. Go figure

Nolan
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like all the deconstruction is now complete.

A bunch of miscellaneous braketry was removed from the engine bay:

The quarter panels have been removed in preparation for the installation of the scoops:

Joe has started painting of the engine bay and the wheel wells and has color matched the paint for the scoops. The powder coating for the red and black pieces should be done by tomorrow. And the tranny has been cleaned and prepped:

Now the reassembly can begin.

I'm hoping for the end of the week. I kid! I kid!

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 06-27-2011).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping you can help me and take a pic of the top of the coil pack i cant seem to figure the wiring the guy gave me its like i am missing something i only have 2 connectors that plug into the coil pack but it takes 3 plugs thanks i dint mean to hijack but am desperate for help
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock