NW LS4 build by Dogcreek
Started on: 04-01-2010 09:22 PM
Replies: 390 (28615 views)
Last post by: redromo on 01-11-2024 11:39 AM
DPoppelll

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet page 9 belongs to this dude!

have you dyno-ed the car since the engine swap was finished? Or perhaps have you done a more.... home-style approach (certainly not speeding on the freeway to see how fast you can take your car, no I'd never do that.)

[This message has been edited by DPoppelll (edited 04-15-2012).]

IP: Logged
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello again DPoppelll! (What me speed on the freeway? No Way! I am like you...)

Not dyno~ed at this point. Joe and I talked about adding some HP with a cam etc but we ended up focusing on the build of the entire car not so much the engine... Thus, when people ask I tell them 303HP which is what the GXP came out with factory.

I would have to say there may have been an HP gain with the short run CAT only exhaust system as well as a better than factory air intake that Joe fabricated. One thing I will say is that the HP is most satisfactory for my style which is "zero to seventy-two" as fast as it can get there. It slams you in the seat and you stay there!! LOL. The car has incredible torque and pulls like crazy at all speeds... Plus delivering 27-29 on the highway solid. It will roast the tires at 20mph with a slam on the pedal and yet is well behaved from a standing start. I will eventually get the dyno numbers... But before I do I may add a Cam, turn off DOD and have Joe do his magic with HP tuners...

This setup lopes along at 1850 rpm at 70 mph and has a unique feeling when you push the gas down hard to pass at that speed. It just flat out goes!!! Though I have no proof, It seems like it grabs about 90 mph in two or three seconds...

I would have to say that I am very partial to everything about the LS4 as it reminds me in many ways of every good car I have had in the past... PLUS handling like a go cart! (TA, GTO, and 61 Impala...)

If I had it to do over again I would do exactly the same thing... The reliability has been awesome as well...

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-14-2012).]

DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That just sounds like.... wow. I almost hate you for making me need that engine now! Where did you get it? ALSO what modifications needed to be done to the engine bay to fit that beast?
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

Got it from Morad Motors... a 2007 GXP package with tap shift transmission. They sold me the engine, tranny, computers and wiring as a package. They can be found on Ebay by searching "Morad Motors." As far as engine bay mods, very little.. The cradle that we used was an 88 and going to my 86 car needed little. Just a couple of minor mods to fit the placement such as an small cove for the oil filter and for the idler tensioner for the serpentine belt. That was it.

The column came from a 2008 GXP sourced locally. Hope that helped

Jeff
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It did, thanks.

EDIT:
I did some google-ing on the GXP and damn, that car has some cool stuff with it.

any updates?

[This message has been edited by DPoppelll (edited 04-19-2012).]

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

The spoiler project is nearly done.... drum roll please..... OK... the spoiler is from a 2004 Grand Prix.... WHAT? Stuck with the GP theme as most of the important stuff in this this car is from one... Engine, tranny, column, computers wiring etc...Found a NOS in a box with the LED stop light. So off I went...

Yes... you heard right... Now, whether or not anyone can picture it ..that is another story.... :-) It took a bit of fabricating and such but I think it looks pretty cool. Have a full set of build pics.. Installing the final product this weekend then I will post the pics... think "whale tail" Pontiac style...

Jeff
------------------

Mine = 1986/2007 LS4 Fiero GXP
Brides= All stock 1988 Formula

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-26-2012).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dogcreek:

Update:

The spoiler project is nearly done.... drum roll please..... OK... the spoiler is from a 2004 Grand Prix.... WHAT? Stuck with the GP theme as most of the important stuff in this this car is from one... Engine, tranny, column, computers wiring etc...Found a NOS in a box with the LED stop light. So off I went...

Yes... you heard right... Now, whether or not anyone can picture it ..that is another story.... :-) It took a bit of fabricating and such but I think it looks pretty cool. Have a full set of build pics.. Installing the final product this weekend then I will post the pics... think "whale tail" Pontiac style...

Jeff

What the...

you can`t just say: "Now, whether or not anyone can picture it" and then not post picutres.

What are you thinking man!

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-27-2012).]

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Nolan... I am such a dang tease.... LOL... Pics soon my friend... You and Barb coming down to the "fest" this year? We are really hoping you will... Take care, and tomorrow (or at least by Sunday) I will have pics of this "Frankenstein" spoiler mod.... LOL

Jeff
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi:

I hope that we will be able to. It's a lot of fun and you are all such great people.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Nolan
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well?

Tony
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Final touches on the spoiler are in progress. Came home from work early to work on it... almost.................

Jeff

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2012 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear. I can't wait to see the final piece.

Perhaps you can give me a hand with my Rodney slave this next weekend? I had to drive it without a clutch from Rosalia last week. I never did grind a gear though.

Tony
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good Tones.... Let me know when you want to tackle it...

Jeff
ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You made me go and look up which one that spoiler was... and I have to say, I can see a Fiero rockin' one of those pretty good. I too am looking forward to NWFF, it'll be good to be back with everyone again!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2012 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics, pics, pics, ......

Tony
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drum roll please......

OK... Finally done with this part of the project. I bought a NOS GP spoiler from a local yard that got all the Pontiac parts when Gee Pontiac closed... I had been admiring the look on the Grand Prix and since my entire swap was done with an engine/tranny/column out of a 2007 I decided to see if I could adapt one for a unique style... This was easy more or less, the exception being flattening the mounting points to match the Fiero trunk and filling the underneath area which now takes on a wing-let "look"...

Test fitting and measuring was a challenge. Tony came over and looked it over and as luck would have it, two of the mounting points were perfect as width and front to rear spacing goes. They lined up with the Fiero "coves." He helped me get over my fear of drilling a perfect trunk lid... yikes!

Had to dremel out 4 of the mount points..... and figure out how to flatten the area around the two main ones that would remain...

To do the first couple of coats of body material... I drilled 20 holes in the plastic it was laid over to make sure I got good adhesion.

Working in my "paint booth" ......

And finally a number shots of the finished product... One of the hardest things on this was to match the pinstriping on the spoiler edge with the striping on the front. Overall I did not have to add a stronger strut to hold the lid open... Working on wiring up the LED brakelight now.... anyway... here it is, several views...

Next is finishing the brakelight wiring... Trunk carpet and passenger floor carpet.. Both Black...

Thanks for watching! Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 05-19-2012).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool!, very nice.

Nolan
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say, as someone who isn't a big fan of spoilers... This is awesome. Well worth the wait. How is the sight line out the back window?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2012 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shaweet! (I know, I had already seen it. )

Hey, I had taken a ride around Hayden Lake last week, and want to do it again. We need to get a group of us together. The road was absolutely beautiful. I hear that Justin bought himself a 'Vette of the '08 variety. He can even tag along.

Tony
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! Let's do a cruise. My car is going into a body shop for some fairly minor work on Tuesday, but otherwise I'm ready on any sunny day!
PFF
System Bot
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes let's do!! You guys get registered for the "FEST?" I did and so did the bride... Just checkin'

And thank you for the kind words Dpoppelll! You buy the LS4? Morad had a couple of sweethearts on their site last week.... Join the LS4 maniacs!!! You will love it...

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 05-29-2012).]

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Jeff! Katey and I are all registered and time-offed for the Fest and looking forward to seeing you all there, and your cars of course!

Maybe I can talk you into another ride...
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looks good
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking at buying one this summer, but I'll be re-reading this thread religiously when I do the swap. Do you have a 6-speed or 5-speed?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2012 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DPoppelll:

I'm looking at buying one this summer, but I'll be re-reading this thread religiously when I do the swap. Do you have a 6-speed or 5-speed?

He's got the 4t65e that comes mated to the LS4. Nobody currently has a running LS4 swap with a manual trans. And fieroguru and myself are the only ones I know of working on such a swap.
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you trying to use? I was thinking an F40 6-speed or something. Mainly because I like the sound of a 6-speed in my fiero.

EDIT

Just looked at Fierguru's LS4/F40 thread

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The LS4 bolts directly to the F40, no adapter plate needed.

[This message has been edited by DPoppelll (edited 05-30-2012).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DPoppelll:
What are you trying to use? I was thinking an F40 6-speed or something. Mainly because I like the sound of a 6-speed in my fiero.

EDIT

Just looked at Fierguru's LS4/F40 thread

Yeah, guru and I are both using the F40 6-speed. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a project to do though.
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2012 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what's next?! I started reading for to see how you lifted the car over the cradle/engine and got caught up reading the next couple pages before I noticed I was glued to the thread.... again.
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next is the carpet and trunk redo.... also, I have the 4t65 HDe which is the 4 speed auto with Tap Shift... and Tap Shift is really the bomb once you get the hang of it... Amazing smooth shifts and faster than I personally could ever shift a manual... Others may be able to do it... me?... I just get the feel and push the paddle!

Jeff
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you having any programing problems with the trans? I'm looking at this swap as one of the options for my wifes Enterra, originally I was looking at the 3800 but she wants a V8 Auto. Are the LS4 Auto guys having any problems or have the "bugs" been worked out? If the swap was for me I would just do it and address the problems as they come up but it's for the wife and my dog doesn't like it when he has to share the dog house . Sorry to hi-jack the thread but you guys seem to have a lot of info on the topic.

Thanks in advance,
Troy

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 06-07-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:
Are you having any programing problems with the trans? I'm looking at this swap as one of the options for my wifes Enterra, originally I was looking at the 3800 but she wants a V8 Auto. Are the LS4 Auto guys having any problems or have the "bugs" been worked out? If the swap was for me I would just do it and address the problems as they come up but it's for the wife and my dog doesn't like it when he has to share the dog house . Sorry to hi-jack the thread but you guys seem to have a lot of info on the topic.

Thanks in advance,
Troy

I haven't seen anyone really complaining about the trans, in that manner. It is the same trans that the 3800 gets, with only minor differences. Only trans related complaints I've seen are that some people don't like how the DoD kicks in. But that can easily be disabled in the ECM, and those who are annoyed enough by it, do disable it. If your wife doesn't want/need the TAPshift, it can easily be bypassed/disabled as well.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2012 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Thanks in advance,
Troy

Edit: For all to see, I did not ever mean that Jeff was not 100% involved in his build. He poured out sweat and tears into his wonderful ride. I strongly believe that my writings were taken out of context, and lost in internet translation. Jeff worked his a$$ for his car. And deserves full credit.

Sorry if it was ever taken differently.

Hey there Troy. Honestly, and no disrespect towards my main man Dogcreek, but Joe (Fieroking) would be the one to PM about build questions. He really did everything from beginning to end. A real gem for the local community, and the Fiero community in general. A link to his website can be found in my sig.

Tony

------------------
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Fieroking Customs

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 06-07-2012).]

CETICARS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CETICARSSend a Private Message to CETICARSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can the DOD be turned off , using the LS2 intake an TB , TURNED AROUND TO TRANS side , could the LS2 computer be used if you change out the cam sensor ,please help answer some of these questions , i got my wiring harness in yesterday , next will be the gas peddle an ecu/pcm computer & brake booster sensor,i contact some people about doing my harness to stand alone ,who here do them an what is the price ,any one HERE selling programming software CD ....I NEED AS MUCH HELP AS I CAN GET

[This message has been edited by CETICARS (edited 06-07-2012).]

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer Troy's question, and as someone who has driven the car for two years, the answer is no... no problems at all with the tranny once Joe had it setup with HP tuners. The only hiccup was a loose shift linkage which would not allow the "M" position to engage. I simply explored the linkage setting until it locked in all position detents.

Please feel free to ask questions here as there are several followers of the thread who are in the process of this swap. And to answer Ceticars question, Yes, the DoD can be turned off with tuning software. Very easy to do.

Jeff

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 06-07-2012).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeff, thanks so much for your reply. I'm about 90% sure that this is the way I will go for the wife.

Tony thanks for your reply also but I like to talk to the customers that drive the cars and make up my mind as much as I can before I start talking to builders. But if any of them wish to give input it also would be appreciated .

Once again Thanks!

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 06-07-2012).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeff... I did not mean that you weren't 100% involved. Sorry if you took it that way.

Troy... Totally understood. If anyone would be more honest, it is Jeff. (Dogcreek.) Merely trying to help, seeing as I put more than a minute or two on that car.

Tony
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troyboy, There is a thread on LS1 tech about transmission problems with the LS4. The LS4 transmission is similar to the 3800sc except for having a beefed up differential as far as I know. I think that the LS1 guys probably beat on their cars more than your wife will. I don't think that there is a transverse transmission which can be built to handle as much torque as the 4t65e hd. So go with stock and drive it sensibly or beef it up and beat on it.
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly... what Don said!!

Jeff
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

So go with stock and drive it sensibly or beef it up and beat on it.

The 12 year old in me loves this sentence, the adult in me agrees.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock