Started on: 04-01-2010 09:22 PM
Replies: 390 (28615 views)
Last post by: redromo on 01-11-2024 11:39 AM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2010 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you decided what you're doing for exhaust routing yet? Are you going to try and route it like the stock Fiero exhaust, or just straight out the back, as most LS4 swaps have done so far?
IP: Logged
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, at least we agree that Fiero builds are nothing like "all the same". Progressing on my swap has been like climbing a snowy mountain: I keep the summit in sight pretty easily, but I keep stubbing my toes on rocks hidden by the snow, getting delayed by blizzards, and even some backtracking around crevasses that couldn't be recognized until I was virtually atop them.
thanks for sharing, being conversational, and being good-natured.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:
Well, at least we agree that Fiero builds are nothing like "all the same". Progressing on my swap has been like climbing a snowy mountain: I keep the summit in sight pretty easily, but I keep stubbing my toes on rocks hidden by the snow, getting delayed by blizzards, and even some backtracking around crevasses that couldn't be recognized until I was virtually atop them.
thanks for sharing, being conversational, and being good-natured.

It seems like the summit keeps moving further away, because there are always new cool things one can do to one's car.

My first Fiero, I just wanted to get running again and on the road. Was an 85 GT in otherwise good shape, but was on a salvage title. Had to replace the fuel pump, and it was running then at least. But then the trans would overheat and lock up hard, probably due to the TCC lockup failing. Unfortunately didn't have the money to keep going at it, back then. So I stripped a bunch of parts off her and had to let her go, after a few months of working on her.

Second Fiero, was an 86 GT that had several problems of her own, and was running ok and driveable at least. Goal with her was to go for the Northstar swap, and fix up the body and interior, although not going all out. She served me well, but eventually had to sell her off due to repair funds too, when emissions check time came around and she kept failing. Only had her for a couple years.

Now I've got an 87 GT and she's been good to me. Have had her for 5 years, and she's not going anywhere, except maybe up in the air to drop the 2.8 out, and put the LS4 in. Started off with the original plan of Northstar swap with her, then wanted to go for an LS6, and finally settled on an LS4, and the F40 6 speed. Trans is sitting here, and engine should be here in a week or so. She'll be getting an LS2 intake, port/polish on the intake, TB, and heads, probably will get the heads milled a little, and I'm slowly but surely refining the rest of the mods that will happen, based on funds vs. benefit ratio.

As for the interior, I've already got a Caddy STS power tilt/tele column, Cobalt steering wheel (being converted to Pontiac buttons), and a Grand Prix ignition switch and keys/fobs. The ignition switch would already be in, if there was anywhere in the stock dash, or the Caddy column to mount it. Looks like I'll have to build my custom dash before I can put it in though. So I'm also looking for a cheap car to use for parts in my area. Ideally I'd find another fastback, but that probably won't happen. I don't even need the engine/trans/axles in it. So long as it rolls and has the cradle, dash, door panels, and body panels, I'd be happy. Though the only body panels I really care about if it's not a fastback, is aero nose and everything forward of the cockpit. Custom widebodies are the best, and I'll certainly be needing a wider body to keep the shoes she'll be wearing from sticking out too far.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why the LS2 intake manifold? It's no better than the LS1 version. If you're gonna upgrade, get the LS6 version. Yes, the LS6 uses a 78 mm TB, while the LS2 uses a 90 mm, but a 5.3L just doesn't need a 90 mm, even with a decent cam, and even with the difference in TBs, the LS6 version is still worth 10 horses over the LS2 version, when tested on a nearly stock LQ9 with just headers and cat-back and a tune.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 06-04-2010).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why the LS2 intake manifold? It's no better than the LS1 version. If you're gonna upgrade, get the LS6 version. Yes, the LS6 uses a 78 mm TB, while the LS2 uses a 90 mm, but a 5.3L just doesn't need a 90 mm, even with a decent cam, and even with the difference in TBs, the LS6 version is still worth 10 horses over the LS2 version, when tested on a nearly stock LQ9 with just headers and cat-back and a tune.

Because it was cheap, and anything is better than the LS4 manifold. The 90mm vs 78mm for the LS2 and LS6 argument is irrelevant, because both the LS2 and LS6 are more than the stock LS4 needs/wants.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dogcreek is one of the nicest, most "real" people that I have had the honor of calling a friend. But, his skills as an automotive technician.......eh?

There has been a lot of planning on this build before it took off. There has definately been modifications to this plan also. That is the way it works. Jeff has had this car for sometime now, and has stocked up, saved, scrounged, earned and toiled to get where he is now with her. He has a wonderful wife that supports him in this venture. There are many factors that have brought him to this point. Being born with a silver spoon is not one of them. And, even not being an expert automotive technician, he gets his hands dirty, asks questions, seeks advice, and listens to reason when it comes to this glorious build. The man works some crazy hours, but still finds time to live life. This is one of those times that you look at a man, and say to yourself, "this guys deserves this."

The support of this forum also needs to be recognized. Some great guys chiming in here to help this build. Jeff constantly thanks us all for our help. You just don't see that everyday. Hopefully others will be able to use this thread as a tool for their builds. Just nice to see so many chime in to help.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Because it was cheap, and anything is better than the LS4 manifold. The 90mm vs 78mm for the LS2 and LS6 argument is irrelevant, because both the LS2 and LS6 are more than the stock LS4 needs/wants.

The LS2 throttle body runs right into the LS4 water pump coolant passage... The LS6 and LS1 intakes have been successfully installed on the LS4's, but the LS2 probably isn't going to work if you keep the LS4 waterpump setup.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like Dogcreek, and he's changed my opinion of Mr. Kania, who I was sharp with, once, but I now regret that. Anyway, I never accused Dogcreek of being independently wealthy, just of having found a way to keep the build progressing so much more rapidly and steadily than my own. And even now that a couple of the great guys involved have told how it has proceeded, I don't see it speeding my own, but I don't mind. I count Dogcreek among my casual friends, and I tried to offer whatever little help I could.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 06-04-2010).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The LS2 throttle body runs right into the LS4 water pump coolant passage... The LS6 and LS1 intakes have been successfully installed on the LS4's, but the LS2 probably isn't going to work if you keep the LS4 waterpump setup.

Flip it around, these intake manifolds can feed from the trans. end of the engine.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flip it around, these intake manifolds can feed from the trans. end of the engine.

Ooops... yes keeping it facing the tranny is an option and since he is deleting all the DOD stuff, it should be able to fit.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Ooops... yes keeping it facing the tranny is an option and since he is deleting all the DOD stuff, it should be able to fit.

Yes, and I am going to run an RWD water pump anyway. Mainly because if I do use the LS2 ECM, I need to also use the timing cover, and the cam sensor is 180 degrees off.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Islode.... You were never sharp with me. Maybe a bit blunt, but never sharp. I can be a rough charachter to get along with at times. I know this to be true. My friends here seem to put up with me. Once again, I am truely blessed to have the support of Fiero enthusiasts that have the same passion as i when it comes to our little mid engined commuter vehicles.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Edit: If I were closer to you brother, I would be right there with you, helping where I could. Good luck on your build.

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 06-04-2010).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, and I am going to run an RWD water pump anyway. Mainly because if I do use the LS2 ECM, I need to also use the timing cover, and the cam sensor is 180 degrees off.

PM sent
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess it's about time to start my own build thread now. My truck should be good to be my primary vehicle again for a while, minus the fact that AC needs fixed in it. My LS4 should be here sometime this week or early next week. I've already been collecting some of the parts I'll be using in my build (steering wheel, column, ls2 intake/TB/valley cover, f40 trans). And it would be nice to get a clearer picture from start to finish documented somewhere other than in my head.
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Newsflash! (OK just an update)

Hello to Joe the 3rd ~ Bobbing around in some large body of water somewhere!

Dobey, glad to hear you are getting started on your swap… so…. For those who have been wondering… Finally an update…

Saturday and Sunday both went well Fiero-wise. Joe, (Fieroking) who is doing the build, had covered a lot of ground... and it was all fabricating, testing, measuring, wiring and setup for what he had planned for us which was the “test fit” for both the engine and the steering column…and final fit for the power steering system. It was a GREAT deal of progress.

But aside from the Fiero, other great things happened as well. For example my youngest son David graduated from High School!! Woo Hoo! I somehow managed to cover all the bases and meet every obligation to the family which can be tough when you are in “Fiero Mode” but we had a great party for Dave and my nephew and had a great graduation and get-together afterward. I am very proud of you Dave!

So… for those who have asked or wondered… Here is another engine bay shot… Fixing some of the last of the Maaco atrocities….

And now the car stuff… Here is a shot of the finished engine… ready to go to her new home…

And another view… Besides the size, it is imposing… Joe did an amazing job fabbing all of the changes needed… today is the final “test fit” for any mods we may need or tweaking etc….

And now… with a liberal coating of grease… to help shoe-horn ‘er in… LOL Kidding of course… we lined her up and began.

Lining her up… checking things twice… we will soon find out if we were naughty or nice! (ok .. corny, I know)
Bada Bing ~ Bada boom…. A little engine wrestling and she slid right up to where she belongs!

And from the top…. Almost…almost… wait for it…easy…. And she is in!!!!!

Now here is where the excellent planning and fabbing really show.. The wire harness is not laid out like it will be when we are done but the measurements and routing are all there!

And…..

And a view with the air filter can and mount… Looking really good! Thanks Joe!

So there you have it!! This weekend’s progress… Hope everyone has a great week!! Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-06-2012).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any of you willing to drive to SLC for '88 suspension and cradle? if so, idcsr1@aol.com the catch is, the weld nuts are spinning in the frame, and you're limited to hand tools. 1 '88 is rear only, with a little rust, but only $75 plus my fee for details. The other is front and rear, but much more $, and the right rear parallel link is bent. But virtually no rust.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I've gone and done it now.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109387.html
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dobey!!!! Go for it!!! That is really cool.... We are getting somewhere close to the end of my build and then another begins.... Great Karma.... keep the chain going! This is excellent!! Of all the LS4 builds so far everyone is a little different and that is what makes them cool...

Love to see pics and watch your build as closely as you have watched mine...

Sweet looking car and engine! Keep us posted!

Jeff

------------------

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dogcreek

478 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Double post... blame it on fumble fingers

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2010 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dogcreek:
Dobey!!!! Go for it!!! That is really cool.... We are getting somewhere close to the end of my build and then another begins.... Great Karma.... keep the chain going! This is excellent!! Of all the LS4 builds so far everyone is a little different and that is what makes them cool...

Love to see pics and watch your build as closely as you have watched mine...

Sweet looking car and engine! Keep us posted!

Thanks Jeff! I'm going to try and do a few things every few days at a minimum, even if that just means buying something else and waiting for it to get here, at times. My swap will probably happen over several months, and I'm not rushing to get it done; though I can't wait to hear the V8 running in my car. I'll also be working on other parts of the car too, so I'll be posting up electrical, body, and interior details too, when I get to working on them.

-- Rodney
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no pics, but tore out Jeff's front suspension today. All ready for the powder coater. (Except for burning out the bushings. I will let Jeff do that. ) My 87GT was a Michigan car, with about 100,000 miles less on the suspension. I struggled and fought with my suspension hardware. Dogcreek's car is so solid and rust free, that I casually just pulled the front apart. So very happy that we don't lay salt on the roads. Even the long bolts for the control arms were rust free, and came out by hand! I remember hours of a cut off wheel and a hammer and chisle.

FieroKing put the engine back in for the last time also, but I will let them comment on that. After a little swab of KY, she popped right in.

Tony
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
My 87GT was a Michigan car, with about 100,000 miles less on the suspension. I struggled and fought with my suspension hardware. Dogcreek's car is so solid and rust free, that I casually just pulled the front apart. So very happy that we don't lay salt on the roads. Even the long bolts for the control arms were rust free, and came out by hand! I remember hours of a cut off wheel and a hammer and chisle.

Hah. I know what you mean. I got my current GT while in MA. The manifold bolts and spark plugs were quite rusty. And the studs in the convertor on my S-10 were so rusted, I ended up breaking most of them off, and having to replace the convertor, and rear o2 sensor (i couldn't get it loose from the old cat).

Started taking stuff off this LS4, and the bolts break loose so easily. I pulled one of the plugs to look at it, and it barely took any effort to turn it. Came out like it was coated with butter.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jeff. I can tell from your pics that you've got the E67 ECM with your engine, and it's from a 2007. My engine is out of a 2006 Impala, though I'm not yet sure if it has the 58x reluctor or the 24x reluctor, and which ECM would have been in the car. Though, the map sensor position indicates it's likely got the 24x reluctor and was running on the E40 ECM.

However, I'm going with the LS2 intake and throttle body, but the LS2 TB has only 6 wires going to it, while the LS4 TB connector has 8. I was wondering if this might have changed for the 07 model year LS4 cars as well, and if the 07-08 LS4 throttle bodies have only 6 wires instead. Can you tell me how many wires are in the TB connector? I would just look at your pics and count, but the only one with any view of that connector on the TB is nowhere near a high enough resolution to make a reasonable count on.

Thanks!
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WEEKEND UPDATE (API and UPI)

Hi Dobey, I will look for a better pic or maybe Joe can step in and tell you the wire count on the Throttle body… I think it is 6 but don’t count on that… Not sure on the ECM… that’s is Joe’s department LOL

An abbreviated post tonight as unbeknownst to me the camera filled up and I have a number of pics that didn’t take… Oh well… such is life… Here is an update of major stuff over the last week.

ENGINE IS IN!

FRONT END OUT! (Thanks Tony!) And man did I reek like burned rubber on Sunday… had to burn out four of the bushings… or, I was batting .500 as I got four out easily… Depends on your outlook…

THE REAR SUSPENSION IN! (Schwing!!! "Wayne's World")

And... The EXHAUST SYSTEM! To answer Dobey’s earlier question we are doing this like Rickaddy did… [Minus the flex pipe…] Two cats (Magnaflow) and C6 resonators… One crossover to the rear and a dive down under the trunk… Woo Hoo!

So… what is happening now? The front suspension parts are at the powder coaters… Justin has the steering wheel making a mold for the cover… Joe is wiring the front, finishing up the connections and modding what he needs to do up in the cockpit to fit the wheel, cruise, throttle pedal, push button start with start key and accessory setting.

He shortened the shifter and once the cable was in this thing clicks like a fine watch….. Click…click…click… Oh Yeah! Smooth and precise!

So, still waiting for the reverse alternator back from WCF, lot's of progress will be made soon... till next weekend and more pictures.

Jeff

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey NW guys and gals,

Just in case you haven't seen it... Paul posted the info and registration page for FieroFest!! Woo Hoo! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081411.html

Just wanted to make sure that all of the NW oriented folks were aware.... Isolde, ManMadeChickens, thedrue, and JPH87 (Justin...sorry for being so formal..LOL) We hope to have you there!!! August 13th-15th in Richland WA.

I know Joe, Tony and Aaron will be there! Joe the 3rd...you gonna make it again this year ? Hope so!!

And.....When I made my reservation the hotel guy remembered us from last year and said they finally got the stains out of the suite Aaron, Greg and Tyler shared and stated that he hoped there wouldn't be any protesters there over the "Gummy Bear" incident..... And, yes, Gummy Bears were injured and mistreated during this event. They also want to know what was in the "big cooler."

Anyway...

Go get registered! This is a lot of fun!! And it is a "Fiero Frenzy!!"

Jeff
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Um, I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

Oh, btw, I ogled your car tonight, and stared at it lustfully.

I may or may not have hidden a gummy-bear somewhere that you may or may not find it. We'll see.
mrbeef

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbeefSend a Private Message to mrbeefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey every one i for got i had a profile on here. Any who i have been following you build and it looks amazing, from the few pics that the slow internet lets me see. Any who i am goin go tbe home from the 4 the 17 of aug, so i will be at fiero few driving the 3.4 DOHC car. well any who i am out to sea now so i will talk to you guys when i get back. LATER

MM2(SW) SOKOL
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe 3!!

Good to hear from you... Your Dad is THE MAN!!! Heard today you were going to be here for FieroFest!! Right on!!! We had quite the crew at the house today... You have some new friends to meet and it will be a great run this year~! Looking forward to seeing you again! Also, we will post some pics tomorrow from todays work!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 06-20-2010).]

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dogcreek

478 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Oh...almost forgot.... the new reverse alternator mount is on its way from Chris at WCF!! THANKS CHRIS! Tone of pics on it coming soon!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So did you get her started this weekend? Or find some place to mount the ignition switch?
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No to the starting...BUT...It came to me in a dream... I am wondering about the on/off key switch in the blank spot between the power window switches and the "push to start" below the trunk release... Not sure if they will fit.... just thinking out loud...

Jeff
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2010 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dogcreek:
No to the starting...BUT...It came to me in a dream... I am wondering about the on/off key switch in the blank spot between the power window switches and the "push to start" below the trunk release... Not sure if they will fit.... just thinking out loud...

Hehe. Are you installing a pushbutton start system? Or just a toggle switch and start button? Or are you going with the GP key and ignition switch?

I guess if you don't have power mirrors, you could put something between the window buttons. And I'm guessing you don't have defrost either. I really wish I had an extra gauge surround now, so I could see about making it a little larger, and fitting the GP ignition switch inside it.
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah... we have a basic plan.. Joe got a 2008 Pontiac key module and that thing was HUGE... About the height of a Coke can deep and almost as big around... We looked it over good and decided to go another route.. No where to put it...

So we will have a traditional key and slot required to use the car that has an acc and off/on setting. And we will be putting in a "push button start" switch... The reason being is once my wallet recovers, I would really like to put an RFID system in and eliminate the keyed method... door locks etc.....

Forgot to mention Joe did a sweet job on the exhaust... We got to BS'ing with Aaron and Don and I didn't take many pictures.. In fact I forgot my camera at home and used Joe's... I will get a good pic of the exhaust as he did a fine job routing it and it is gonna growl a little I think... We followed Ricks lead and did two cats (Magnaflow) and will be using C6 resonator tips.

Another missing set of pics is the fab work Justin did to the factory GXP wheel.. It is looking good.... In fact he is doing an LS4 next so he is working up a mold to be used... Coming right along... Oh...and I got the poly in the front susp parts.... they came back from the powder coaters....

So... the next update should be full of pics!!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 06-21-2010).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great. Exhaust with just the two cats going straight out the back is going to be really loud. I can tell how loud it is just watching Rick's videos on youtube, with the car idling. I saw blkcofy added a muffler onto his exhaust because it was too loud without it. His car definitely seems a lot less noisy, in the video he posted.

I'm going to go with pretty much stock (Fiero) routing of the exhaust, though. So I'll be mounting in the GP cat, and will use either my current muffler, or perhaps get a spintech or something, and the C6 tips as well.

BTW, they're actually not resonator tips. They're muffler tips. They do muffle the sound a little, but nowhere near enough to handle a big V8. I would really love to try and do the C6 Z06 tips, with the ecu-controlled butterfly valves, but those are definitely $$$.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It seems like the summit keeps moving further away, because there are always new cool things one can do to one's car.

My first Fiero, I just wanted to get running again and on the road. Was an 85 GT in otherwise good shape, but was on a salvage title. Had to replace the fuel pump, and it was running then at least. But then the trans would overheat and lock up hard, probably due to the TCC lockup failing. Unfortunately didn't have the money to keep going at it, back then. So I stripped a bunch of parts off her and had to let her go, after a few months of working on her.

Second Fiero, was an 86 GT that had several problems of her own, and was running ok and driveable at least. Goal with her was to go for the Northstar swap, and fix up the body and interior, although not going all out. She served me well, but eventually had to sell her off due to repair funds too, when emissions check time came around and she kept failing. Only had her for a couple years.

Now I've got an 87 GT and she's been good to me. Have had her for 5 years, and she's not going anywhere, except maybe up in the air to drop the 2.8 out, and put the LS4 in. Started off with the original plan of Northstar swap with her, then wanted to go for an LS6, and finally settled on an LS4, and the F40 6 speed. Trans is sitting here, and engine should be here in a week or so. She'll be getting an LS2 intake, port/polish on the intake, TB, and heads, probably will get the heads milled a little, and I'm slowly but surely refining the rest of the mods that will happen, based on funds vs. benefit ratio.

As for the interior, I've already got a Caddy STS power tilt/tele column, Cobalt steering wheel (being converted to Pontiac buttons), and a Grand Prix ignition switch and keys/fobs. The ignition switch would already be in, if there was anywhere in the stock dash, or the Caddy column to mount it. Looks like I'll have to build my custom dash before I can put it in though. So I'm also looking for a cheap car to use for parts in my area. Ideally I'd find another fastback, but that probably won't happen. I don't even need the engine/trans/axles in it. So long as it rolls and has the cradle, dash, door panels, and body panels, I'd be happy. Though the only body panels I really care about if it's not a fastback, is aero nose and everything forward of the cockpit. Custom widebodies are the best, and I'll certainly be needing a wider body to keep the shoes she'll be wearing from sticking out too far.

Rodney,
Hang in there. My swap took my 6 years to finish. Don't expect to get it done overnight. My advice, double the time, and triple the cost. And you always have us in the club to help. Just call. We love to wrench with someone else's money :-)

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, 1996 3.4 DOHC and a GT clip

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2010 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
Rodney,
Hang in there. My swap took my 6 years to finish. Don't expect to get it done overnight. My advice, double the time, and triple the cost. And you always have us in the club to help. Just call. We love to wrench with someone else's money :-)

Rob

Yeah. I'm not expecting to get it done overnight. I'm just expecting to get it done right. But I'll be getting a second car in a few weeks hopefully, so I can do any necessary mods to that car, and transfer them over. After I get back from London, I shouldn't have to travel any more until the fall, at least, and I hope to get the engine apart, cleaned up, and back together; ready to bolt up to the trans and cradle, and start working on the starter and clutch issues. I'm thinking that the stock dual-mass flywheel and clutch setup that came in the F40 G6 cars should work well. They just seem to be difficult to find though. Thanks!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now, I know you had to make some progress these past couple of weekends. Where's the updates?
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DATELINE 6_26_2010

Update and build status!

Ok, we are on the downhill side and picking up speed! A lot has been done and of course my posts have been slow because we have been busy working on things! I will answer a couple of questions asked earlier in this thread and give a general synopsis on where we are at...

Done:

Engine, cradle, and computer and most wiring in engine bay ~ Done
Rear Suspension and brakes ~ Done
Wheel wells cleaned and painted ready to go back in ~ Done
Power Steering upgrade ~ Done
Fuel lines and system ~ Done
Power Steering lines to front ~ Done
All engine wiring thru to the cabin ~ Done
Battery power to front bay ~ Done
Front bay repainted and ready to re-assemble ~ Done
Push button start system ~ Done
Short Shifter ~ Done
GXP column slightly modded and ready to mount ~ Done

and.... what we are doing now.. the "downhill side..."

WC high reverse mount alt bracket... Test fitted
Cabin and chassis wiring ~ Underway
Front battery mount ~ underway
Front suspension ~ Re-install
replaced broken "air dam" ~ Almost done
Custom GXP wheel pad and horn buttons ~ underway
Put all body parts back on ~ Soon
Turn the key ~ oh yes... coming soon

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So here are pics, first to answer Dobey's question about the "push start." Here is Joe's placement. I like it and it will allow for an easy RFID mod later in the year.

Push button

Next, the new WC Fiero alternator bracket has arrived and been test fitted. Only thing holding us back on Sunday was not having long enough hi-grade bolts due to spacers and bracket thickness.

WC alt bracket

Justin has been fabbing a relief for a steering wheel center cover mold for my build and his, complete with stock tap shift paddles. Joe has wired up and got all of the stalk functions ready to go with an ingenious relay setup. Everything will work but the "auto" headlight feature (by choice)

Custom GXP wheel

Stainless steel line, new rotors, this is looking good!

Finished rear susp

Getting a belt on the beast will be a tight fit but Joe fabbed up a cool tensioner tool sloy and tool to release belt tension without having to take the engine out... No kidding... it is a tight fit...

Pulley tensioner tool

We had great working weather Sunday.... Car looks like it wants to go for a ride... soon... soon....

Fine Day

Welded up splitter with 2 02 sensors and magnaflow cats...

Exhaust laid out

And here it is all tightened up and ready for the 90's and the C6 tips.

Exhaust installed

Fixing the very last of the Maaco overspray.... arrgghhh... well almost the last...

Wheel well overspray

A seriously broken center console skeleton... but not for long. Joe uses Loctite "Plastic Bonder" and this stuff is AMAZING... See next pic

Broken skeleton

Bada Bing... Bada Boom! If it breaks again it won't be at this spot!

Bonded skeleton

Cleaned and resprayed under side of the front hood... a little fresh paint covers a multitude of sin... (An old Australian Analogy I think...)

Refreshed paint under front hood

Poly in..... ball joints in or ready.... it is time!

Front suspension ready to go in

The Maestro doing one of the things he does best!! Deciphering the wiring... He has a lot of patience Joe does.... amazing

Wiring frenzy

So.... another update soon... We are getting closer every day. If I missed any earlier questions let me know ....Thanks everyone for watching the thread!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-07-2012).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeff, I have 2 skeletons, and both are in better shape than yours was I think. If you'd like a better one to start with, gimme a call.. I'll give you one for that radio you gave me.

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer Aaron... What I really need... if you have one is the padded "heater~radio vertical surround for a GT....." I think I showed you the outcome of my little disaster.... Have one of those by any chance?

PS.... Tony and Joe and I really hit it today.... really on the downhill section now! Pics later tonight....

Jeff
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock