Chop Top #18 G6 Install by rodneybooth
Started on: 10-28-2008 03:28 PM
Replies: 143 (10246 views)
Last post by: madcurl on 11-25-2012 12:27 AM
rodneybooth

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie built a really great car for me about three years ago. I have not shared with this group the joy I have gotten from this car or the double takes I get just about every time I drive it. Recently I decided to install a G6 F40 transmission with a Quaiffe differential. I would not have attempted this without Archie's kit. I cold not have afforded the learning curve. I think it is about I showed some pictures of the process. I hope you enjoy some of the passion I have had with this car.

This has nothing to do with the transmission install but it is the first thing I had done.

This is the template for an area I couldn't find a way to dress up

This is the finished cover

Starting the tranny swap

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rodney,

Check your PM.

The car is awesome BTW !
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

heavyRfoot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we need pics of the whole thing/ everything. motor, trans, the whole body, and inside you are just teasing me with those few pics.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm very happy that you're very happy.

However, We need more pics, don't tease us.

BTW, also tell us about your suspension & brakes.

Archie
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the RCC suspension as Archie suggested way back when. Coil overs make a world of difference. The car just lays flat in a curve. I have to tell you it makes a difference who does your work! I had the suspension work done prior to Archie transforming my car and the front end kept bottoming out. On the way back to NC from beautiful downtown Machesney Park, I stopped and bought some coffee. On the way out of the store I hit a bump and the drink came straight up out of the cup and went 360. I quickly installed 1 1/2" drop spindles to get some more play in the shocks. Works good now. I guess I need to do the Coke can challenge to see where I stand. I had RCC's big brake package on but got moochie and installed 13" Wilwoods.

Wainting in line...

]

A shot of the shock and the "round thing" electric water pump that had to come out to drop the engine

Disconnecting all the "stuff"

Coming out!

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming....

Coming...

Out!

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
A look at the beast

Anybody see a 50 watt backup light in this picture?

This is where some fun begins. With the engine out now I can clean up the engine bay. I wanted to get rid of all the extra wires and make some sense of the compartment. I never liked the way the friewall insulation looked. It just never looked clean to me. Now was the time top bring some order.

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Ummmmmm, its a possiblity......

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Relocated relays

Brackets to be moved along with a whole bunch of wires

Moved all the engine wiring to one side

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Stuff taken out so far...the trash pile gets bigger

New lid shock installed

and bigger!

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is firewall before we started. Not very nice. Reminds me of my sister's closet.

Firewall with the panel templates made

Sheet metal panels made but need to be painted and mounted

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Rerouted the wires and installed them in wire looms just like the picture says

Now we have a smooth firewall!

The engine bay is ready and now on to the tranny swap
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! The next engine swap, I too would like to have engine bay cleaned up a bit. You're providing an excellent example.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very good. I can appreciate all the work cleaning up the firewall takes. Here is stage 2 of my firewall cleaning:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083056.html

This winter I will be doing more firewall upgrades as I upgrade to the G6 6 speed along with several other engine mods.

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Curly. A complement from you goes a long way. Guru, I like the crhome look.
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Uh oh, looks like the intake is leaking at the front

Uh oh, distributor trouble. The distributor rotor button needs to be replaced. Now I understand my loss of power.

Uh oh, the distributor cap needs replacing too!!!

Nasty!!

The top of the engine all looks good

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I looked for the thread on Fieros in the Fall and couldn't find it. So these are some I took today. It is the first set since all the "current" work.

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
A look at the G6 F40. Not an expensive gearbox but newer technology the original 5 speed Getrag. I could pull stumps with first gear. I don't have a good shot of the Quaiffe LSD (which was 4 times the cost of the tranny) but it was a direct fit. We sent it out to a tranny pro to make sure it would be right

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I found one on their website

This is probably preaching to the choir since I got the idea on this forum but...

Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential for Saab GM F40 is suitable for Saab models with GM F40 gearbox. A direct replacement for the standard Saab open differential, the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential transforms your car's performance.

Unlike a conventional plate-style limited slip differential, the Saab GM F40 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential relies on gears rather than clutch plates for its operation. That means it is much smoother in operation.

The Saab GM F40 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential never locks harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the driven axle, like a conventional LSD. Rather, the Saab GM F40 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, to a constantly varying degree, and never locks.

The Saab GM F40 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential has many benefits over a standard open differential, including maximising traction and minimizing wheelspin, eliminating torque steer and snatching in front wheel drive cars compared to conventional LSD units, and a maintenance-free design which retains the standard oil lubrication.

After driving the car with the new diff, I can assure you that it is well worth the money. Troyboy will like it on his new ride.
PFF
System Bot
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Old transmission off

It would lood nice to coat the manifolds...

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney any chance you might be convinced to bring that awesome car down to the Daytona show in March ?

We are trying to rally up a group of choptops, mine included !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-31-2008).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With all the money you re spending wouldnt it be worth replacing the old exhaust manifolds with something that flows?
Keep up the good work on the rest of it. Love the Firewall and LSD
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been wanting to come to Daytona ever since Archie inducted me into what I know now to be a "elite"? group. Every year about March I start developing a tick on the right side of my face that only goes away if I look a Florida travel brochures or reread the Annual Choptop Convention thread. In truth, my schedule hasn't allowed it. There always seems to be a conflict. Or at least I make one. So 2009 may be the year, I sure hope so.
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Ok, next installment...another shot of the gearbox

All the old parts. Does this look like a bagpipe to you?

Does anybody want this stuff????

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Ausfiero--I would get new manifolds but there is a problem. They have sentimental value to me. Archie personally hand caste the units out of old left over LS1 valve stems. It almost cost him his marriage because he obsessed over it so much trying to get it perfect. You know how Archie is. He showed me pictures of how he used the "lost wax" process to caste them in his back yard.He brought them to his shop wrapped in babys blankets so not to scratch them. And...if you beleive that I have some swaampland in Oz I want to talk to you about.
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
What next...Oh yeah the tranny swap. But first more s**t to fix. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off buying a horse. Well what do you know. The RH axle bearing is bad, the seal was broken and let water into the bearing.

Finally, how about some tranny work. Cutting the clearance in the bell housing for the adapter bolts

Test fitting to see where clearance cuts need to be made in the cradle. Now this does not look like bagpipes. A nice handsome, manly (sorry ladies) gearbox. Gonna look good in the engine compartment.

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
An unrelated interior shot. I wanted to show off my new guages.

The old look

The new look

What I see

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I forgot...this is the old look. The VDO gauges just didn't do anything for me.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you are cleaning up your fire wall do something about those stupid looking hinges and mounting boxes. If you are not using the stock torque rods to prop up the deck lid why not trim them down and make it look better.
I was thinking about doing this with my car, I was thinking about using a set of front hood hinges.

Thanks for sharing
Jake
PFF
System Bot
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow...hadn't thought of that. I do need to do something different at the hinges cause I have developed a structural crack just above the right hinge. I filled it in and fiberglasseds it but it is still weak.
The member had to be channeled out slightly to make room for the breather and is a weak spot. I may do something about it next week. If so I will post pictures. Thanks, they do look rather abnormal.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

While you are cleaning up your fire wall do something about those stupid looking hinges and mounting boxes. If you are not using the stock torque rods to prop up the deck lid why not trim them down and make it look better.

Part of my winter upgrades is doing "something" with the stock hinge brackets!

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, thats two. Tomorrow I'm going to take pictures are start looking around. Maybe I can get a before and after. I hope to get to work on the "Sidewinder" next week. Currently it has bear claw door latches and they have given me some problems. Thats my next move, to find an adequate replacement. I installed door pins since its a suicide setup but I want a different latch mechanism. Here is the door pin install.

This is going to make me feel real safe!

I don't like the looks of the exposed door panels. With a suicide setup, this part of the door was not seen much and there was not a lot of care given to appearance. That definately goes on the list.
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Curly, If you check in, I kind of like the HRE 546's in black. I keep coming back to this style. Will somebody loue me in on what a "PM" is???

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Correction...will somebody please CLUE me in on what a "PM" is and how it works???
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodneybooth:

Correction...will somebody please CLUE me in on what a "PM" is and how it works???

Link on the main page at the bottom of the forum.
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/privateview.cgi
There are links on each users posts that will let you send them a Private message.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tell me about this swampland. Water is a valuable commodity here
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your car is looking great and I just love your attention to detail. It's great to see some of the choptop owners kicking it up a bit. Time to start invading the non Fiero car shows in force.
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing Car! Keep up the good work. I just pulled my old supercharged 3800 out and built a new one. I am right in the middle of some insane rewiring and firewall cleanup myself. I used front GM F-body calipers w/ 13" rotors on all 4 corners, so I have the Wilwood spot calipers for the E-brake also.

I might be interested in that Getrag, as mine is junk, as soon a you figure out PM's send me one, or an email at mobile@warpdriveonline.com. I really wanted to do the G6 6 speed this year, but with the expensive engine build, it might be next winters project!! Therefore I need another Getrag to make it through next summer.

Thanks!

MOBILE

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever
Self Installed SC3800/getrag. 4 years in Avionics & 14 years in Car Electronics Experience........ 19"s.. w/ 13" Brakes all around.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock