Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  TPI SBC refresh with G6 6 speed trany upgrade (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
TPI SBC refresh with G6 6 speed trany upgrade by Alex4mula
Started on: 10-07-2006 10:39 AM
Replies: 150 (15069 views)
Last post by: Alex4mula on 02-21-2012 10:15 PM
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sure take the saw to your car a lot but everything has turned out awesome so far. Great work! I'm interested in seeing that scoop also.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam
1993 Ford Probe 5spd

IP: Logged
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Drove it today and you can hear the hissing sound when you open it up similar to when you put a pipe in the other side in a V6. But it is much less annoying. I like it.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just cut the original panel and installed this temporary "flower pot" scoop. I think it looks less bad than the previous. I also painted it practicing with the BC/CC I have for the whole car soon. It hisses a little at partial throttle like my old one with the V6

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well to keep this around let me post the latest on this car. I committed the mistake to tackle the paintjob myslef. Bought couple books, some equipment and talked to a lot of people. A V8 swap seems like piece of cake compared to this. Too much prep and sanding when all I want to do is paint! LOL! Oh well. Here is an extreme summary.

I wanted to solve this peeling all over the top.

Then started sanding. And sanding and keep sanding. Oh well. This was just at the begining. All roof went down another layer plus I needed a new front hood to speed up as I was having some bubble primer reactions on my original

Yesterday I finished all wet sanding and almost all is ready to paint. I only need to finish sanding the interior of the rear hood as I decided to go red inside too. So bye bye my 35+ decals.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to the body shop today to complete the job. Should be ready this Saturday Ever driven one without the front hood on? Got some funny looks. Was so excited that drove over 10 miles without tag because I forgot to put it back

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So to finish this (by now) here is the final result. Later on I still need to build a passenger side scoop for the final intake. But now the yellow car needs some long due (say 2yrs down!) attention.

Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks fantastic. I have always been impressed with your cars.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 415 WHP, 11.9 @ 118
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

It looks fantastic. I have always been impressed with your cars.

Ditto!! You want to trade??
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! It is feedback like that what keeps me motivated when the going gets tough
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The paint looks great, especilly with all the moldings painted as well.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to keep this alive. Nothing too new. It went from FL to MI and back for the 25th without problems. I finally finished these and installed them. The only other thing I plan for this car are some 13" brakes and the low profile double round headlights.

PFF
System Bot
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2009 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey this is up! I only have plans for two more things. One is a set of low profile headlights (Fierofan?) and a big brake kit. But I heard Fieroaddiction is not selling more of those so will have to wait for some other to come up.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size wheels tires are those?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

What size wheels tires are those?

I receive more PMs on that question than anything else. Those are TSW Kyalami 18x7 42mm front and 18x9 35mm rear. Tires are 225-40-18 and 265-35-18.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I receive more PMs on that question than anything else. Those are TSW Kyalami 18x7 42mm front and 18x9 35mm rear. Tires are 225-40-18 and 265-35-18.

Probably because you do the best job of almost anybody on the forum in getting the right size and the right stance on both of your cars.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2010 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know this was still active. The only thing I need on this car is a brake upgrade. It really doesn't stop well.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't know this was still active. The only thing I need on this car is a brake upgrade. It really doesn't stop well.

I'll bet.

I remember the first time I drove my '88 after I got the 4.9 running, I got on the gas and it gathered speed much faster that I had anticipated, almost ran over the car in front of me when he stopped short, I'm adding 'Vette rotors be fore the Northstar swap is done.

Your car is lookin' good.

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 09-15-2010).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow so are you saying this car will actually be finished once you get the big brakes ??

i didn't think we ever reach the finish line with these cars hehehe.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Wow so are you saying this car will actually be finished once you get the big brakes ??

i didn't think we ever reach the finish line with these cars hehehe.

That's so true. But that is the key big ($$) item. The othe one I had and was finished were the low profile headlights. I need to post pics of that. So no more for this for now. The yellow one needs paint but that will have to wait too. The white GT is sucking the budget pretty fast!

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 5 speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's so true. But that is the key big ($$) item. The othe one I had and was finished were the low profile headlights. I need to post pics of that. So no more for this for now. The yellow one needs paint but that will have to wait too. The white GT is sucking the budget pretty fast!

Your yellow one is one of my favorite fieros,..you going to repaint it yellow, when the time eventually comes for new paint ?
PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Raven88

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Raven88Send a Private Message to Raven88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump...just cause it reminds me of mine.

------------------
Gary W. Patterson
Raven88
88 Fiero
86 Fiero GT

4LB21HP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4LB21HPSend a Private Message to 4LB21HPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get the intake elbow? It looks really good! Also do you have a part number and or dimensions? Thank you.

Bryan B.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4LB21HP:

Where did you get the intake elbow? It looks really good! Also do you have a part number and or dimensions? Thank you.

Bryan B.

Wow! This is still around. I haven't done anything else than just enjoying the car when I can. But haven't driven it all summer Currently I am working very hard on finishing the white GTs 3800sc swap. The yellow one was sold last March.

Regarding the intake, are you talking about this one below? If so the rubber piece I got it at Ebay if I remember correctly. The pipes are 4" single units (straight, angle, etc.) sold at PepBoys at one time. I think they may be APC. I never finished the qtr panel intake scoop so I only installed this intake for testing. Sounded pretty nice then. I will finish it some day. Just low on priority

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex,

I'm curious seeing that the motor and trans are solid mounted. How noticeable is that? Are you able to perceive it as distinct from conventional rubber mounts? Do you find it acceptable or do you find yourself wishing that you had conventional mounting? I'm presently building a TPI (TPIS Bigmouth base and runners) with a 6-speed. Solid mounting certainly appears to simplify things. The heads you have chosen are exactly what I want to add to my motor once I get everything running; Excellent choice.

Ken

Edit to add: I too am curious about your rubber intake tube. I've been able to locate an EPDM reducer elbow, 4" Ø to 3 1/2" Ø; is that what you employed? It appears both tidy and tight.

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

[This message has been edited by kennn (edited 08-08-2011).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kennn:

Alex,

I'm curious seeing that the motor and trans are solid mounted. How noticeable is that? Are you able to perceive it as distinct from conventional rubber mounts? Do you find it acceptable or do you find yourself wishing that you had conventional mounting? I'm presently building a TPI (TPIS Bigmouth base and runners) with a 6-speed. Solid mounting certainly appears to simplify things. The heads you have chosen are exactly what I want to add to my motor once I get everything running; Excellent choice.

Ken

Edit to add: I too am curious about your rubber intake tube. I've been able to locate an EPDM reducer elbow, 4" Ø to 3 1/2" Ø; is that what you employed? It appears both tidy and tight.

Solid mounting was the only way I could keep the engine from moving too much with all that torque. I started with rubber mounts which were like butter. Then I tried poly mounts which worked so so but still engine moved more than 1/4". Solid solved that. Yes you feel all the vibration but this is not a Lexus. I can deal with it ok. Some may not. I guess is all in taste. I do know how nice it feels a stock rubber mounted 2.8 and would love a V8 to be like that but it ain't going to happen.
On the elbow all I remember is I got it from Ebay long time ago. I think both sides are 4". TB gets oval just because the shape and the other round.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 08-16-2011).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally the last upgrade I wanted is coming

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to installed pics!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Details on the brakes please.

Congrats !
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got Fieroguru's 13" brake kit installed. Soon will test

Rotor comparison;

Installed;

With wheel before & after look;

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: