Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Starting NEW Body Kit from scratch (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Starting NEW Body Kit from scratch by Mailmule
Started on: 09-21-2008 10:37 AM
Replies: 135 (16881 views)
Last post by: jaredmurray88 on 08-12-2011 06:34 PM
Mailmule

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look what I picked up at work today. What do you think? It is off a 2002 Mustang. Nice thing about it is that is is all Fiberglass, so it will be easier to cut and modify.

IP: Logged
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like it !

10 times much better than that other style you were considering.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its backwards.
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
Its backwards.

Ditto... for functionality, anyway. If you reverse it and put it at the front of the hood, it'll extract heat from the radiator and help keep your front end planted at high speed.

Either way, I agree. It's much better than the T/A nostrils. IMHO, they only look good on the cars they came from.

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do understand the functionality but this particular mod is just for the eye. I may put additional vents up front but we shall see.

Thanks for the input.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mailmule:

I do understand the functionality but this particular mod is just for the eye. I may put additional vents up front but we shall see.

Thanks for the input.

Can you post a picture of it turned the other way?
Good job on the car looking forward to seeing what you do next.
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason I don't want to put it the other way is because I am going to pick up the actuall scoop that goes on top of the hood as well. So, a raised scoop facing the other way will look a little off.

Thanks

Scott

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FUNCTION IS KEY.... not just a scoop for no purpose and for looks only
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, latest pics and progress:

Cut up the Mustang hood to my liking:

The left overs:

Lining it up on the car:

And Yes, I did cut a hole in the hood to find a way of making it Functional at some point:

This is the first layer of Glass and final position:

Let me know what your thinking?

[This message has been edited by Mailmule (edited 10-25-2008).]

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would suggest trying to keep that line in the scoop.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why make a mid-engine car look like it has an engine up front? Get a comaro or firebird, it's easier. In addition a Fireo can make good use of an extractor scoop up front. Back in the 70s we use call cars with none functional or unneed scoops etc Cosmetic Cars, still fits. BTW: I'm sure your end-result will look fine workmanship-wise. Mine Fieros are too out there scoops-wise for most, but each one works 100%.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would at least mold it in flush with the hood... but as everyone else is saying.. why not turn it around and make it functional? even with a duct to it, its pointing the wrong way to be functional..
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why in gods name did you glass it on top of the hood instead of flush?
gunslinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gunslingerSend a Private Message to gunslingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rookie fabricator mistake but that is his car.
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, now that you all got that out of your systems. I know where you all stand. Thats cool, and like you said it is my car. But let me clarify a few things. The Fiero has NO hood scoop factory. So what is the difference if I add a few eye appealing body lines? I mean the mustang it came off of WAS a front engine car and this scoop wasn't even functional on that. Also, I did cut the hole in the hood so I could easily modify a tubing vent it toward the radiator for extra cooling.

And you ask why I didn't mount it flush? I have 2 reasons. First is I wanted a little bit of a raised look. Second is beacuse I couldn't cut the scoop down any more and still fit the additional inserts that go on top off the vented part. I would have literally have had to almost cut the origianl hood in Half loosing any structural integrity. I do however appreciate the comments good AND bad.

Here are some more pics (like it or not):

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad.
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, pretty much done with the hood for now. A few spots I will fix before painting, but 95% done.

Here Goes::::

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad at all!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat!!
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From a purely cosmetic standpoint, I really like it.
Do you have the black plastic cover for the "opening"?
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, you need a set of lake pipes to go with the scoop. Then ditch the spoiler and add a kickup to the back edge of rear decklid.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 10-28-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You better take a mould off the whole thing now to make a new skin for your hood because that bondo will crack. There is no avoiding it as Bondo shouldn't be used as thick as you have used it. With Bondo, 1/8" is already too thick. It appears you have it 1/2" thick. Slam the hood down a few times. Save yourself some grief before painting it.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Please don't take my suggestions wrong either as I am trying to save you some grief. The overall concept isn't bad. The execution will kill you though.
The scoop has potential to be functional with a few well placed vents..

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mailmule, I like what you did. Closing in the sides to make it raised really gives it the look. And I agree with Aus about the bondo...

Also.. Aus, you nailed it with those vents in the front. Made a good idea even better!

------------------
The 6th Annual California Coast Run
October 24-26, 2008
http://www.fiero-performance.com

vinny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks Maranello....ish. I like it, it looks good. I even like adding the front vent idea. Yeah thick bondo is bad buisness. You may have better luck with that stuff....... whats it called........ kitty hair? You know its like resin/filler with fiberglass strands in it. Your doing great work. Keep it up.

Vinny
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, I will take in the advice and see what I can come up with. Although it appears I used alot of Bondo I really didn't. I used 2 layers of Glass first, then filled in with the Bondo/Glass. The bondo itself is merely the outer shaping layer. I have done this before on my old 76 camaro and the scoop outlasted the rest of the car. I will also be glassing the bottom side to give it a little more strength. The vents do look good and could well be my next move, Thanks!!

I am far off from painting and I use the car daily, so I will see first hand what kind of stress is put and where well before it gets color. And to answer the question, I do not have the actual scoop yet. I will ask my Boss this week to check on a price for me. Should get a bit of a discount. The cheapest I can find on my own is about $150 just for the bolt on scoop. If anyone has one just laying around LOL. I am pretty sure 99-04 will all fit.

Thanks again for everyones input.

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updates?
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing just yet. The weather has been terrible and busy with work. Will get some up during the week though.

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude, you guys need to understand that 1/2 the fiero's stock frills aren't form follows function either...
Look at that spoiler.. it's plastic... look at the sunroof, I love it but it howls like a wolf when removed. It's a bondo nightmare but if it's for a mold it's be kewl
tag
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NY_FIERO:

Dude, you guys need to understand that 1/2 the fiero's stock frills aren't form follows function either...
Look at that spoiler.. it's plastic... look at the sunroof, I love it but it howls like a wolf when removed. It's a bondo nightmare but if it's for a mold it's be kewl
tag

The stock Fiero spoiler was designed to create downforce for the Indy pace car. It does work.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates ????????????
4 pages back ?
PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Please don't take my suggestions wrong either as I am trying to save you some grief. The overall concept isn't bad. The execution will kill you though.
The scoop has potential to be functional with a few well placed vents..

This is looking really nice. What about reverseing the scoop to work as an extractor?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bump for an update ?
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, pretty much done with the hood for now. A few spots I will fix before painting, but 95% done.

Here Goes::::

If you leave the hole in the front closed grill it maybe and open it up back at the window I think then it would be functional
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2008 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Mailmule,

Any updates ?
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2008 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That hood looks sweet!!
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Umm, updates? Another one bites the dust?
hagans19

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hagans19Send a Private Message to hagans19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am make the same thing but mine is raised 1.5 inch in back if some one will resize pic i can make a thread !
Galliero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GallieroSend a Private Message to GallieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll be watching this thread i'm in the middle of my own body kit build based on the lambo gallardo check out my thread "been living in a cave" it has a link to my youtube video . i'm starting fiberglass this spring. i'm building my kit out of cardboard you should try it its easy to work with.

Just a test here. If anyone is interested to see more photos of my progress, just pm me. I don't want to just start throwing pics up that nobody wants to see. I decided to go ahead and make my own body kit. I am starting with just some Construction Grade Foam and Balsa Wood for the form. Surprisingly the foam seems to be resilient to everything I have thrown at it (ie..crazy glue, resin, body filler etc...) So I am hoping when I go to actually start glassing my mold, it will hold up and I will be able to get more than 1 usable panel.

This is where I am at now. After spending hours designing this side scoop, I realized it was to low for the actuall drivers side intake, so I am trying to figure out how to keep it in place and make it functional on the other side. Any suggestions or comments?

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry All,

I haven't given up just stopped for a while. My tranny went on my everyday driver back in November, so I have been using the Fiero as my everyday car and well, I can't take it off the road to continue the kit just yet. My odometer just hit 180,000, so probably gonna need a new motoer and tranny soon. I can't see doing more work on the body until it is mechanically ok. It is still running dtrong though. I love this car.

Later

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock