Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  SINISTER GT: The Official Build Thread (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
SINISTER GT: The Official Build Thread by ITALGT
Started on: 09-02-2006 11:20 AM
Replies: 301 (44814 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 06-04-2022 12:12 AM
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys... the biggest issue right now (besides money) is the blown tranny... if I can get that replaced, the project will move on nicely. Right now the car is up on stands and collecting dust, ready for a cradle drop. I sure do miss driving it!

And to answer the question about the suspension... yes, the wheels, Eibach springs and poly bushings are the only mods I currently have... would like to have it a bit lower in the front, and add coil-overs in the rear to drop it a bit more.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 01-31-2013).]

IP: Logged
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2009 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok... so, there's not much new to report, but I did want to provide everyone with a quick update. I've done some more transmission research and have concluded that the best option for the 350 small block would be the new G6 6-speed. After reading through a few other threads on the subject, it sounds to me like this tranny is beefy enough to handle the V8 torque. Gearing is also better, with the exception of the stump-pulling first gear. I also like the idea of using a brand-new transmission, as apposed to an out-dated and rather fragile 5-speed Getrag.

As of right now, I have made no time frame for getting the swap done. I just began a new job a few weeks ago but I'm only part-time, so funds are still tight. But hopefully the next time I update this build thread, I'll be posting pictures of a new transmission!

Stay tuned...

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brett, you still in Florida ?
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony, I'm still in Florida... my moving plans have been put on hold for now!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2009 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brett PMed me, he is still in Florida in the same spot. Spoke about putting in a 6 speed but I am not sure of his timeline. I would guess it is still up on stands awaiting some surgery!
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

Ok... so, not much new to report, but I did want to provide everyone with a quick update. I've done some more transimission research and have concluded that the best option at this point will be to install a new G6 6-speed. After reading through a few other threads on the subject, it sounds to me like this tranny is beefy enough to handle the V8 torque. Gearing is also better, with the exception of the stump-pulling first gear. I also like the idea of using a brand-new transmission, as apposed to an out-dated and rather fragile 5-speed Getrag.

As of right now, I have made no time frame for getting the swap done. I just began a new job a few weeks ago but I'm only part-time, so funds are still tight. But hopefully the next time I update this build thread, I'll be posting pictures of a new transmission!

Stay tuned...

Brett

Updates?
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow man the car made a classy come back. good luck with the trans though great job so far
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! Any updates? Always admired your car!
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

Bump! Any updates? Always admired your car!

Hey man, thanks! As of now, no major updates... I just wanted everyone to know that this project is still a go and that it hasn't faded into darkness. I'm now full time now at my job, so the madness can resume (slowly). Going to get that scrapped tranny out FINALLY and swap it out for the (hopefully) a G6 unit... will have my upper plenum/SLP runners ported, along with a brand new exhaust system and other mods. This car was quick before, I can't wait to see what it does when the TPI really breathes!

Updates on the way... stay "tuned!"

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Allllright !

Hey Brett, glad to see you are still around and kicking. Good to hear things are looking up.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony! Looking forward to driving over to Longwood again. I work evenings now so it will be harder for me to make it though...

I'm sure it's going to take me some time to get this Fiero back on the road, but I promise you it will be worth the wait!

PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...the latest on this project:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...110105.html#lastpost

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New update...

I'm buying a home in Port Saint John, Florida and may be moving the Fiero to a friend's shop for the transmission swap. Looks like I am going to be using a newer generation F23 Getrag 5-speed in place of the old one... I just can't afford the G6 swap right now.

As always... STAY TUNED! =)

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you seen this thread? Might be worth considering and maybe cheaper than a 282 getrag.
congrats on the new home.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083654.html
------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com 87 Gt-5spd-62k miles.

[This message has been edited by KissMySSFiero (edited 12-16-2010).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great information! Priceless, actually... I see an F23 in my future... =)
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brett,
Glad to hear you didn't give her up. Even if it was to me you would never have forgiven yourself! Of course, I would have just sold it back to you!!!!!!!!!!! Get 'er done!
John
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Brett,
Glad to hear you didn't give her up. Even if it was to me you would never have forgiven yourself! Of course, I would have just sold it back to you!!!!!!!!!!! Get 'er done!
John

She's gonna' be SICK.

I'll take you for a ride when it's ready. =)
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait!!!!
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still lingering!

The last several months have been crazy... still looking for my first home in the Titusville/Port Saint John FL area, and I'm spending most of my time house shopping. I was closing on a house until the inspection went bad.

I have nothing new to report on the project, other than I'm still planning to move the Fiero to friend's shop for the transmission swap... among other things. See, it seems that he has a ridiculous obsession with turbos... that is all I'm gonna' say right now. =)

STAY TUNED...

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITALGT

994 posts
Member since Jan 2002
*double post*

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 02-06-2011).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This page is in desperate need of a picture! Here's a quick shot of my baby as it sits waiting to be transported to it's new home:

PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's another shot of the Fiero (partially disassembled) from several weeks ago... also shown is my friend's Corvette (one of them anyways) while it was being stored in my shop.

Dis-assembly begins while I'm waiting for the new tranny:

The front end of the car is also being dis-assembled for detailing and modifications:

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 02-10-2013).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have you picked up a trans yet? What trans will you be running?
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless I'm convinced otherwise, I'm gunnin' for the F23 tranny...
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I never imagined for a moment that buying a house could be so ****'* difficult!

I've been in the house-hunting mode for over 7 months straight now and I am SOOO ready for the process to end. The Fiero is still sitting collecting dust... very regretfully it's still on the proverbial back burner until I find a new home.

THE GOOD NEWS: I've just signed the papers for a really nice house I found in Port Saint John and (if all goes well) I should close on it by June 30th. This will be my third attempt at buying a home... and they say "three time's a charm" and I hope "they" are right! So far, I have about $3K invested in this house and don't even own it yet (previous inspections, appraisals, gas money, etc...).

$3K would surely have fixed my transmission woes and then some. Sheesh.

So anyways, that's the latest update... if all goes my way, this project will soon resume. It better, 'cuz I'm getting antsy!

Stay "tuned" ya' all!

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 02-18-2013).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

Well, I never imagined for a moment that buying a house could be so ****'* difficult!

I've been in the house-hunting mode for over 7 months straight now and I am SOOO ready for the process to end. The Fiero is still sitting collecting dust... very regretfully it's still on the proverbial back burner until I find a new home.

THE GOOD NEWS: I've just signed the papers for a really nice house I found in Port Saint John and (if all goes well) I should close on it by June 30th. This will be my third attempt at buying a home... and they say "three time's a charm" and I hope "they" are right! So far, I have about $3K invested in this house and don't even own it yet (previous inspections, appraisals, gas money, etc...).

$3K would surely have fixed my transmission woes and then some. Sheesh. =)

So anyways, that's the latest update... if all goes my way, this project will soon resume. It better, 'cuz I'm getting antsy as hell. =)

Stay "tuned" ya' all!

Brett, i know your frustration ! Me and my wife have been doing the house tango for the past 2 years ! It is getting pretty ridiculous. Just when we think all is done, something crazy pops up.

Good luck to you.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bump.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The project finally gets moved to my new home in Port St. John, Florida. Of course, it didn't rain until the EXACT moment we pulled up to the house to unload it... then it down-poured... lol.... good times! Special thanks go out to Brian S. for helping me get the beast moved into it's new cave:

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 11-11-2014).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brett,

I know you may not have your car, but are you going to Daytona ?
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Tony!

Yeah, I plan to be there at Daytona amongst the other crazies... I'm sure I'll run into you at some point! Got the Fiero home now, finally have internet again so I can post some updates...

She's in the garage waiting for the trans swap. I am going to build a wooden dolly to use to set the cradle on. The plan is still to mate a low-milage F23 FY1 (3.63 ratio) to the 350... more details and pictures are on the way.

Stay "tuned" as always.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 11-11-2014).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Preparing to drop the cradle:

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking good Brett !

Man it was good to see and talk to you again at Daytona. Glad to see you still got the fire burning.

I know you are going to do something really cool.

Looking forward to all your upcoming updates.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello again Tony... it was great to get out and see some familiar faces today, including your's. My half-hour Daytona "tour" was worth (just about) every moment! Aside from the rain cutting my stay short, it was a good time. I saw a LOT of Fiero's on the road while waiting to leave the track... it was quite impressive to see so many on the road at once.

It was great to see your car in person... as with Pedro's chop-top, pictures just don't do them justice.

Needless to say... I'm fired-up to get this project back on the road. I've got some work to do, and it's going to take a bit of time... but hey, they don't call this a "build" for nothin'!

Next up for this project: build a wooden dolly to set the cradle onto.

STAY "TUNED"...
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I finally had time to build the engine-dolly... this dolly is very simple and easy to assemble. For those wanting more details on how to build one, check out the following link:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088599.html

Here is what I started with:

...and here is how it looked a few beers later:

Now on to the fun stuff!!!

All wires are disconnected, coolant tube is removed, the water pump is removed, the throttle-body is removed, strut-tower bolts removed, etc... she's ready to drop!

STAY "TUNED..."

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITALGT

994 posts
Member since Jan 2002
...and a few more beers later:

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a beautiful thing.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too much torque; sometimes it's not a beautiful thing! lol...

Obviously there was some terminal damage done at the drag-strip... a closer inspection inside the case reveals a destroyed/mangled spider-gear and the resulting carnage thrown upon the rest of the drive-train. The big hole is where the speed-sensor used to be.

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the sun was shinin' here in Florida today... beautiful weather... I could have been hangin' out at a bikini-infested beach or something... but instead I went out to the garage, did some cleaning/organizing, and set the Fiero down on jack stands. What the !$@*...

So she's up in the air so the tinkering can begin... it's going to be a slow process unless somebody around here wins the lottery!

Up next... I'm going to need to support the frame better. I won't be comfortable underneath the car until I have more jack stands with better stability and support. Also, I'm toying with the idea of building a support cradle for the car to sit on, complete with dolly's to roll it around... we shall see. I will also be cleaning up the engine bay and removing unused brackets, along with opening up the trunk area.

Stay TUNED...

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sooooo glad to see this started again!!!! I'll be watching it closely!
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small update...

Today I spent some time thoroughly labeling all wires and connections in the engine harness so that reassembly isn't such a pain... also killed a BIG Black Widow spider that was hangin' out inside the front bumper cover... I'd say that some progress was made!!!

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 04-25-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock