My '88 Coupe build by HTXtremes
Started on: 09-26-2007 07:38 PM
Replies: 124 (16488 views)
Last post by: 355Fiero on 01-16-2012 06:44 PM
Jakezilla3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakezilla3Send a Private Message to Jakezilla3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updates?? I really liked where this project was going!

------------------
88 Fiero Formula V6 auto
99 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
99 Nissan Sentra 1.6L 5speed

IP: Logged
HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry no updates been real busy around here, quit my job because shipped me out of town with no extra pay and was gone for four weeks. Haven't been online much in the past couple months cause my new girl I've been seeing.

Mostly I've been gathering some parts and packing away some funds for my build. Doesn't look like the F-40 will make it to the 25th! But I will keep posting on here with all my new finds and progress as it comes.

I just want to thank everyone for their support and enthusiasm in my build.
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok for some updates!

Got a new crank in the mail the other day and some rods. Don't know how good of a brand they are, the crank is a Bryant Forged Billet, and the rods are Carrillo H-beams.

I have pictures but I guess PIP is still down.
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some progress figured out the turn signals for the front. I used the front signals found behind the front bumper and trimmed the ends down to get the right length.

Next I've carved out about an eighth of an inch into the nose to recess the nose badge in a little, I still have to fill it back in some with resin to smooth it out.

next picture is with the emblem sitting in the recess,

here are the headlight covers that came with the kit, they still need to be trimmed down to the right size. These are made from 1/4" Lexan and are form fitted to the car.

A couple more pics from my stash. next two are better pics of the Ferrari 355/360/550/F50/475..... Tail lights, bought brand new for $750

HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jumping into the next modification,

Went to a salvage yard in Joplin, MO today and bought the windshield surround from a '95 Eclipse.

Before trimming it down

Trimmed some fat off

Trimmed more and it is starting to fit better

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job on the build! Those taillights are gonna look beautiful once installed, how far forward does the eclipse glass sit? A + for you sir.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!! I love the windshield idea!!
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some new pics

and a side pic of a non stretch for comparison

[This message has been edited by HTXtremes (edited 10-26-2008).]

Fieromaineac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaineacSend a Private Message to FieromaineacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of talk by the F40 builder's group on kitcarsforum about this car, figured I better take a look. What I see is very interesting, keep up the good work!
PFF
System Bot
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2008 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did not know there were people on other sites talking about my build! Makes me feel good that people are watching.
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HTXtremes

345 posts
Member since Sep 2007
Some pics of my progress

Hey Mike I'm using that blue foam board you can get from Lowes for the shaping of the sides and for the ducting on the hood. It sands well with 80 grit sand paper, also making a mold for a third break light out of the same stuff.
mikebrnch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikebrnchSend a Private Message to mikebrnchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HTXtremes:

Some pics of my progress

Hey Mike I'm using that blue foam board you can get from Lowes for the shaping of the sides and for the ducting on the hood. It sands well with 80 grit sand paper, also making a mold for a third break light out of the same stuff.

Looks great. What do you plan to coat the foam board with? Resin, jelly etc. Or do you plan to use the foam just as a plug for a mold on the rear quarters like you are for the ducts?

michael

[This message has been edited by mikebrnch (edited 11-08-2008).]

HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey mike I plan on just using the foam as a plug and then lay fiberglass and resin over it. I've been putting clear tape over the foam to keep it from melting from the resin.
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2008 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok a couple updates, I've been posting on http://www.kitcarsforum.com/ also with the same title as here.

Cut a little over 40 lbs off the front weighed

here is my factory parts single wiper arm w/ about 126 degrees of sweep

weight lose in the rear lost allot of weight in the rear not yet weighed the fat loss for the rear

matthewc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for matthewcSend a Private Message to matthewcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait for more updates, my car should be arriving in Colorado tomorrow or Friday. I can't wait to get it here so I can start my build/rebuild. I would love to get more details on the windshield transplant. I have been looking at the Eclipse and Geo Storm windshield transplants.

Matt
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tube chassis is on its way!!

Got the base part of the frame done today!

G6 six speed is out, Audi 5 speed is in!

Will have some pics later tonight.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta see how you fit that audi transaxle.
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People over on the Kitcarsforum have done lots of research and the audi A4 trans is only 7 inches from bell housing to center line of the axle. This means with a 24" long motor (northstar), an adapter (1"), and the trans you will have a pretty tight package. The rear firewall will have to move forward a little to clear though.

[This message has been edited by HTXtremes (edited 01-18-2009).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like what you're doing. Lot's of good stuff here. I'm now interested in how you'll be mounting the power plant.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here are a few frame photos

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok a couple updates, I've been posting on http://www.kitcarsforum.com/ also with the same title as here.

Cut a little over 40 lbs off the front weighed

I like it, been pondering the same. But what about frame ridgidity...won't it flex a lot more without at least leaving the wheel wells intact? (anyone else done this and notice any difference?)
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2009 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was what I was going to do before I decided to go full tube chassis. What I had planned on doing was to run a 1 5/8" cold rolled pipe from the fire wall to the radiator support making a hoop to strengthen the front back up without the weight. By removing the inner fenders and other metal on the front I removed 40-50 lbs on the low side maybe more.
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the only update I can give at this time is that the "Tube Frame Fiero" is coming home with me!!

I've been talking to Don, the current owner and we are going to make a transfer of car to my hands in Casper,WY on the 23rd of this month. I am very excited to be bringing this work of art home with me!
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well the only update I can give at this time is that the "Tube Frame Fiero" is coming home with me!!

I've been talking to Don, the current owner and we are going to make a transfer of car to my hands in Casper,WY on the 23rd of this month. I am very excited to be bringing this work of art home with me!

Nice!

FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HTXtremes, what are the dimensions to those rear Ferrari tail lights?

Thanks
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are 6 inches to the widest point and 6 inches deep to the back of the plug base. You will just have to make sure to leave about 2.5 inches behind them to remove the back plate to access the bulbs. So if you were wondering if they would fit inside the fastback GT tail lights, they will, you just might have to cut some of the backing out of from behind the taillights so they will fit by mounting the factory way of the GT tail lights.

[This message has been edited by HTXtremes (edited 05-06-2009).]

HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a couple pics after I got the frame home

first one is of the ground clearance (it is not touching the ground, lacks about 1/4")

last one is where I removed the metal rear window

HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some updates of the motor in the tube chassis

Had to get a little color on it! lol this is with the Eclipse windscreen
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the chassis long enough for that long drivetrain? It looks like a tight squeeze.
PFF
System Bot
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is very tight, if it had not been a custom chassis it would not have been long enough.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things look tight in your garage as well.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So have you abandoned your original build i favor of the tube frame?

I noticed in your other thread you said

Last night I sat my stretched F40 panels on it, the rockers were about an inch off the ground in the middle and a 1/4 inch in the rear. The front hood was an inch off the ground in the front and sitting on the tires

Were you implying it's not square?

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave;

The frame is square but the rockers of the F40 are deeper at the back and front height wise than in the middle so they are closer to the ground at each end.

I emailed James a couple weeks back about progress and he has moved the rear suspension mounts forward the 2" needed to get to the 96.5" wheelbase and down a couple inches to get a bit more ground clearance.

With this frame setup, I had planned on cutting some height out of the door and side panels of my project panels to move the rockers ups. The frame only has about 1" of rocker under the bottom of the door frames when Doug built it way back. If you shorten the door panels and the side panels, you also get back to a more oem look of the F40 as well since the Fiero builds needed to have higher side panels to fit on the Fiero frame. With this frame, you can cut the height out of the sides for a really good looking final product.

Cheers
Don

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yessss, another F40... epic!

Ten points if you decide to get super creative with glass and build a Competizione clone
Daniel H

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel HSend a Private Message to Daniel HEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You all doing a lot of hard work, by stretching, widening, installing crazy motors and other stuffs! It's wondering me! Olny I have NOT understand: for what a hell you needed make replicas of a Ferrari's, Lambo's and other?! If you doing so lot of a work, why?? Why you don't make your own body? Don't you all want create your own design and embody it?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a very challenging project for sure.
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to build a one off body but I've gotta start somewhere. One Day I will build a car from the ground up, but I would have to say that I have always dreamed of having a F40.

[This message has been edited by HTXtremes (edited 12-27-2009).]

HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the build is kinda on hold, gotta get into a new place nearly 4 hours away from my current house.

Moving from NW Arkansas to Kansas City, for work. Gotta get rid of my 30x40 shop here and get into a duplex with a two car garage.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock