Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  fitting digital gauge in original speedo or. when iam bored part II (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
fitting digital gauge in original speedo or. when iam bored part II by Fieromaniac
Started on: 04-11-2007 05:22 AM
Replies: 70 (5063 views)
Last post by: Fieromaniac on 05-27-2009 01:21 PM
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2007 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ask because I have an '87 Duke also and the local service station has E85 (85% Ethanol summer, 70% winter) I want to try running as much as I can get away with on a stock engine.
IP: Logged
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2007 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you run more Ethanol than E50 you will get problems on cold mornings .
Car will start normal but try to stall wenn u try to accellerate. It will do this for 2-4 minutes then it runs normal .
It will also drink more than normal if u go over the E50 concentration and it will smell like a alcoholic in coldstart.
sometimes i think iam able to recognise what alcohol i burn , smell changes from whiskey like to fruity smell
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2nd cluster progress

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-09-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

2nd cluster progress

That looks very nice!! I think you could sell these kits if you wanted to.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think iam getting better with the quality
doing this cluster with digital watertemp. and digital Voltage
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Led Backlights

fits like the stock

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2007 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the digi gauges for Voltage and watertemp arrived .

rdy to get into the cluster (after stripping them )
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is freakin cool!
lord_gufi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lord_gufiSend a Private Message to lord_gufiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so im interested in doing this but does this specific BC use a wireless magnetic sensor? that way i dont have to rout wires through my cab and such? Also, the back light for the BC does it turn on also? I noticed that it would be fairly hard to read at night if not.

On other notes if it doesn't. would you be able to pull it apart and use the EL foil in the back to match the rest of the gauges?

Uhmmm lets see. pretty much i'm looking for flexible options for when i start doing a custom dash, I plan on making it some what like the GTO cluster, big tach and big mph, however if i can use this in the center that would be cool also.

Which also makes me curious to know if there would be anyway we could ingegrate all of this and make a HUD like the c4/5 corvettes had. i always liked that mainly because it ment i didn't have tomove my eyes away from the road and the fiero's gauge cluster is horrible.

Ive never pulled one apart but is there any real circuitry in it or are all of the bulbs just wired directly. if they are just wired in that opens up the ease of making a new gauge cluster and keeping all of the stock dummy lights.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the BC with the wireless sensors wont work well on cars , i tested a sigma 1601 but it only showed speeds up to 70 kph
i use the wired BC with the original bike sensor.
i had no problems getting that thin cable through my cab

this specific BC is not backlighted from factory , i backlighted or better sidelighted the 1st cluster with 2 LED ,
2nd Instrumentcluster display will be frontlighted by a micro LED

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-26-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome, very clean work! I have an idea? What about finding needles that are clear from a diff car so they light up blue with your LED's or even newer Pontiac needles, they look cool also.

------------------

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
i needed to put the fuel gauge up because digi watertempgauge was bigger than i thought

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
volt gauge

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

24 blue LED (will be much brighter in car , tested only with 9 V )

wires ??? i dont see any wires

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-30-2007).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any night PicS?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not yet , hey iam married with children = old !! -> so i sleep when sun sinks below the horizon :=)

but i testfitted the cluster

ignition on

engine on

no coolant sensor attached , thats why it shows 0 °C

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 06-01-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
day and night illumination of the display (here 1st instrumentcluster in my car)
4 10000mcd LED

very good readability now (better than in photo because of the automatically brightness corecture of the camera)
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for an update??
PineyCreek

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm in love. Any chance of you posting a step by step instruction thread?

------------------
1986 SE V6, stock, auto, fastback. GT Trim and Body panels.

PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything new?
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow, i just found this. bumpin it back up!

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp at the motor

chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
while I know you're still in the process of building it, it still doesn't have that "it truly fits in" look... but I can't judge still i see the end product of course!

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget to click on the ads!
http://educatorstop15.we.bs/fieropage.htm

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:[B]

any chance i could get this but with the MPH instead of K/HP?

[B]Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

i think ill integrate more digital stuff
digital water and volt gauge is already ordered . thats the way it could look

----photoshop----

could i get the top tach in the bottom cluster white and all? mines the oil gauge?
i like this idea looks good man

[This message has been edited by BabyVet (edited 10-23-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrismclubm:

while I know you're still in the process of building it, it still doesn't have that "it truly fits in" look... but I can't judge still i see the end product of course!

nope its working 1 1/2 year now only the soldering of the LED went bad , need to fix this .

Iam fine with the "homeprinted" Overlays there is no bleaching out oder white turning into yellow

dont have a pic of the 2nd cluster installed ( i gave it to a friend in exchange for a cylinderhead )

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

Fierotaz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear an update on how this has lasted. I would love to see a picture of the second one installed it you can get one from your friend.

------------------

Chop Top 13 Revitalization

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
took this pic today , after 30000mls it works perfect like on first day

only my coolant Temp gauge went bad .....

sry got no pic of the 2nd cluster because i lost contact with the guy
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK Thats It, we need to get a German exchange group. Let the Americans go play in Germany for a Summer and let the Germans come to America for a summer. I am sure they would have a blast playing on the Beach's in California, and then head top Vegas for at least 2 weeks. Go to the Fiero Wrecking yard in Vegas and I am sure you will find a ton of parts you would use.

O/T how is the work over their, to housing prices, could a Fiero mechanic make money over there.? Would they even let me drive my Fiero over there or would it have to be inspected all to hell? Just really curious.

You gauge thread is so awesome on here. We do have a guy here in BC that is working with a Metric 240 factory stock looking setup. I would really like to read more about the type of printer yoused and such. We even tossed around the idea or taking his 240kpg cluster and dong it has 240mph cluster with just a different crystal. I am sure there would be a demand from a few Yankees that wanted it just for the Novelty of it.

To be able to take my Fiero out to do a 200kph run on a regular basis without the possibility of going to jail would be heaven for me. It would really get me off my butt to setup a Fiero to do that mythical 165mph pass. I think the closest there was, was Calid Kid at 158mph (IIRC that was the top) may have changed since I read it years ago

I know this is going V/O/T but aside from the Autobahn, what other cool things are there, the Nirenberg Ring. (SP) Do you have anything like Las Vegas. Lastly what is the job market for car guys and computer techs. One last question are there "English Speaking community's over there" I knew here in BC we have normal White people area's then we Chine Town, Little India, even getting a small amount of Mexicans.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 05-27-2009).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

OK Thats It, we need to get a German exchange group. Let the Americans go play in Germany for a Summer and let the Germans come to America for a summer. I am sure they would have a blast playing on the Beach's in California, and then head top Vegas for at least 2 weeks. Go to the Fiero Wrecking yard in Vegas and I am sure you will find a ton of parts you would use.

O/T how is the work over their, to housing prices, could a Fiero mechanic make money over there.? Would they even let me drive my Fiero over there or would it have to be inspected all to hell? Just really curious.

You gauge thread is so awesome on here. We do have a guy here in BC that is working with a Metric 240 factory stock looking setup. I would really like to read more about the type of printer yoused and such. We even tossed around the idea or taking his 240kpg cluster and dong it has 240mph cluster with just a different crystal. I am sure there would be a demand from a few Yankees that wanted it just for the Novelty of it.

To be able to take my Fiero out to do a 200kph run on a regular basis without the possibility of going to jail would be heaven for me. It would really get me off my butt to setup a Fiero to do that mythical 165mph pass. I think the closest there was, was Calid Kid at 158mph (IIRC that was the top) may have changed since I read it years ago

I know this is going V/O/T but aside from the Autobahn, what other cool things are there, the Nirenberg Ring. (SP) Do you have anything like Las Vegas. Lastly what is the job market for car guys and computer techs. One last question are there "English Speaking community's over there" I knew here in BC we have normal White people area's then we Chine Town, Little India, even getting a small amount of Mexicans.

how about that , if your decide to make a week or two vacation here give me a skype call, i bet we can arrange a good time for you in different citys with some german fiero owners. ( Timo a.k.a Santa pffname: fiero1fan would also be a good contact , he lives near Frankfurt )

Living :

food : much cheaper than in america or canada ( u need to spend low percentage of your income for food )
houses : cheap in east not cheap in west.
east : 300-400 euro per month warm for a 70m² in citis , cheaper on the "flat land "
west : we pay 850 for 99 m² in Hamburg and thats a low price . houseprices are at 150.000 - open end

job : much easier to get in western germany and better paied than in east .
everybody here has healthcare even if ure unemployed you have the same healthcare like a working person . Only private insured ppl get
a better care in some points .

driving: i think its possible that you drive your car here with your licence , your plates and ur insurance when your not longer in germany than 3 month.
Autobahn: as fast as you or your car can drive ( not on all parts of it ).
But my Fiero with its 87 brakes is fun to drive at speeds greater 180kmh but i dont want to use the Brakes for hard
stops . They are not made for this speeds i guess.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay