Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  V6 Engine Rebuild -mild performance- maniac way (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
V6 Engine Rebuild -mild performance- maniac way by Fieromaniac
Started on: 08-28-2008 02:21 PM
Replies: 170 (22126 views)
Last post by: Rivethead on 01-21-2011 12:48 PM
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
started with the manifolds .
lil porting and polishing .

IP: Logged
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2009 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
polishing done

Exhaust Insulation Wrap

mounted the buddy
Katman81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2009 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Katman81Send a Private Message to Katman81Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I have a question though. Does polishing the manifolds do any good or your just picky hehe.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2nd manifold

y-pipe

egr cleaned a lil

look momy i made a mumie

Oilpriming the engine

and Oilpump works fine , engine is dry outside
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2009 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some Mounts cleaned painted and installed

removing the mounts of the old coil

wiring harness cleaned and new heat protecting foil installed

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-31-2009).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Generator refreshed:

starter cleaned and some other parts painted

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 06-21-2009).]

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Cat/exhaust is way too close the starters. Before you put that engine back in the car, cover the outer side of the starter with self-stick thermo shielding it will make it last longer.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thx for the tip , i guess ill build me some stainless steel heatshields .

The engine is still sitting in my basement while i am waiting for the duke to die or at least till we moved into our new house with a big garage for me
next month
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used that exhaust wrap in the past. I didn't notice a temperature change, but I did not take any measurements. It stayed on well for about 2-3 years and then start to disintegrate. You should look into getting the exhaust ceramic coated.

Jason
Rivethead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetheadSend a Private Message to RivetheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got any updates?!?!
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nope , engine is sitting in my basement till it will be moved to my new house on saturday .
Iam looking forward to get it installed in the end of september.
PFF
System Bot
Rivethead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetheadSend a Private Message to RivetheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

nope , engine is sitting in my basement till it will be moved to my new house on saturday .
Iam looking forward to get it installed in the end of september.

We'll be looking forward to hearing from you. Good luck on the move.
Routs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RoutsSend a Private Message to RoutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing thread man! You're inspiring me to pull apart my 2.8L and do some clean-up. It will be a while before I do any kind of engine swap in mine so it's nice to see a project I could work on in the mean time to breathe a little life into an old engine (227,000+ kms).
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and here it is sitting under my carport ,
the spedition thought of a modern engine when i hired 'em .... they came with 2 men
believe me , they earned theyr money hard

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG
*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
amazing job
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you need special valves for propane , i had a Chrysler that was working with gasoline and propane , don't think i had two sets of valves in there LOL, i could move to gasoline or propane and ( vice versa) just with a flip of a switch .
Also if it's cold over your place you will need a bypass on the heater hoses to get the coolant to heat the system or you gonna have problem with freezing .
When it is hot in summer it's ok but if you close the bypass in winter it will freeze the propane in the system leading to a stalled engine .
Don't ask me why , i decided to take the bypass and was trying to figure out why it was freezing .
Went to the place were they had installed the systemn and they found it right away .
At a garage they wanted to change the carburator , but was BO , Good thing cause the carb was modified to accept propane and gasoline .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 09-15-2009).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

I don't think you need special valves for propane , i had a Chrysler that was working with gasoline and propane , don't think i had two sets of valves in there LOL, i could move to gasoline or propane and ( vice versa) just with a flip of a switch .
Also if it's cold over your place you will need a bypass on the heater hoses to get the coolant to heat the system or you gonna have problem with freezing .
When it is hot in summer it's ok but if you close the bypass in winter it will freeze the propane in the system leading to a stalled engine .
Don't ask me why , i decided to take the bypass and was trying to figure out why it was freezing .
Went to the place were they had installed the systemn and they found it right away .
At a garage they wanted to change the carburator , but was BO , Good thing cause the carb was modified to accept propane and gasoline .

as long as u stay in low RPM ranges its true that you can use propane on almost every gasolineengine.
Propane burns hotter than gasoline and in higher rpm there is not enough time for the valves to give the temperature to the valveseats.
Plus propane is much cleaner and burns much cleaner than normal fuel .
The lack of dirt in the mixture is also a problem. This dirt normally gets to the seats and the valves and fills the small holes there.
Here in germany we also drive a lil faster = higher rpm so its the safer way to use stainless steel valves and hardened valveseats ( ok i give a try without the hardenet seatrings first but i can upgrade later if nessecary ).

Chrysler for examply our 3.3l voyager minivan has already hardened seats + valves because this engine is bifuel ( E85 ( Bioethanol ) or gasoline ) ok now its trivalent .

Our Voyager is running on propane since 07 ( 60000km ) because of the pricedifference ( propane is less than half price here than regular fuel ) its a good way to drive big engines for less money.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tomorrow it will get in the car

more pics of the swap will come soon.

so far i did:

- cradlebushings front and rear polyurethane
- tranny new bearings
- new mounts for tranny and engine
- cradle got tin and fresh color

man iam exited like dating a woman first time or hmm first time sex or hmmm birth of child .....

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 10-10-2009).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2009 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
please please please, give us a video on the start up of this project

jon
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sooo its inside but some hoses and cables need to be connected

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, the anticipation.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
01GPGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2009 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 01GPGTSend a Private Message to 01GPGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow nice build.

see it doesn't have to make a ton of power and it can still be fun to rebuild an engine.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITS RUNNING
very smooth and on all cylinders.
Ive set the ignitiontiming it was ok .

but , my aftermarket instrument reads 0 oilpressure it started with 4-9 psi but after 1 min it went down to zero ....
tomorrow i guess ill swap in another pressure sensor and test with a akkudrill if the gauge is reading something.
I guess ill check the valvelash too .

hmmm

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 10-12-2009).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like your tach filter is mounted on the wrong bolt... I belive it is supposed to go on the other coil bolt, away from the exhaust maniflod...

What is that hose attached to your crossover pipe shield?

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 10-12-2009).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ah ok ill mount the tachfilter other bolt then .

The Hose is the old main coolant hose of the L4 , it still need to be removed

its too bad that ive 3 fieros here but the others are L4 so i cant check this lil details .
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ah ok ill mount the tachfilter other bolt then .

The Hose is the old main coolant hose of the L4 , it still need to be removed

its too bad that ive 3 fieros here but the others are L4 so i cant check this lil details .

Thought that old hose was some sort of cooling device for your exhaust

I am sure you can find ANY information needed from others in here (PFF). Some of these guys know the Fiero inside & out and could probably assemble one in the dark...
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lil Video

http://www.format-service.de/images/mov01926.3gp

very kool..congrats on completing the rebuild
balprix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for balprixSend a Private Message to balprixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you ever going to get it dynoed? Im interested in what your HP ratings are.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

changed oil alrdy after first 100mls and engine is running very well.
I setup the timing for the first 1000mls conservative at exactly 10°

I still need to install the propanesystem , a new 200cell racing cat and an electrical coolant heater with 220v plug for cold nights.

Oilpressure is fine , i had a ground problem .
After adding some extra ground straps the gauge shows the exact pressure.

After the break in period and the install of the propanesystem ill guess ill go to 13°-14° ignition advance .

Iam planning an dynoday next year if i get enough ppl to join

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 10-21-2009).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice thread - I'm very impressed. Are you married? If so, are you still after this? :-)

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-08-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Nice thread - I'm very impressed. Are you married? If so, are you still after this? :-)

hehe yes i am married with children since over 10 years now .
And my wife understand my need to play with cars thats only one reason why i love her

next engine project is rebuild of an 3800 SC and then a Duke stroker i guess.

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2009 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2nd manifold

y-pipe

look momy i made a mumie

I realize you have the Y pipe wrapped and installed, but, I just noticed the Y does not appear ported. Did I miss something?

If it isn't ported it's a real good idea. Just wondering

Arn
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nah its not ported , ill build me a 2 tube system with 2 cat and 2 mufflers next year thats why i didnt invested extratime into the Pipe.

Engine has now 2000 miles on the clock and it runs great .
Next week i can install my new propane systeme , took longer till my dealer got the system.
Magnaflow 200 Cell Stainless steel cat is installed and i got no problems with it on emissions testing.

Have atm a lil problem with steering stability everything is now new on my suspension ( all poly + konis ) all new balljoints but still play in steering
Had also a computer 4 wheel allignment .
ok long talk short consequence : more then 100 mph is not good atm but car goes very quick to the 100

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 11-27-2009).]

red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2010 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice build I have done quite a few back yard builds and never had a failure. I just did the 4 cyl to 6 conversion and on the drivers side i cut the steel tube and double clamped the V6 hose to the tube. I was going to swap it for the correct tube till I realised the whole LF suspension has to come off what a pita. Did you assemble the motor in your apartment or basement? Some of the flamers are the start are your typical more is better people. They must not have had the satisfaction of handling every piece of metal that is in there motors tightening every bolt and putting some real love into a project. It took me 11 years to finally have a fiero i can drive after buying my first one ten years ago. Congrats on a great build sometimes its not the bragging rights when you blast everything away in sight but the smile on your face everytime you turn the key and it fires right up that makes it worth the time I know I am still smiling
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Incredible Thread. thanks for taking the time to document it. WHERE were you able to BUY the ALTERNATOR REBUILD KIT ?? I can't find one at advanced, NAPA, or autozone.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i remember correct that kit was from a local us car parts dealser here in germany www.kts.de or www.us-parts-online.de

I also refreshed an CS Type Alternator and had it documented
http://www.format-service.de/tips_20.htm

update on the car :

- 4200 miles now
- did a finetune 4 Wheel allignement myself using two laser equipped digital spirit levels
now car is stabil like a rock even at higher speeds .
hat it over 120 mph alrdy but regarding the bad and snowy weather here its not wise running faster atm.
- front exhaust manifold cracked now 3rd time so i guess ill start building me a new one
- iam with this engine at 26.5 mpg ( per us gallon ) / 31.33 mpg ( uk gallon )sometimes lil more
- german Tüv guy keeps telling me that the car is way to loud so i guess i refit the waterseperator / helmholzresonator i removed vs a straight pvc pipe
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2010 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Excellent writeup. You must be a teacher. I just browsed through your alternater link. Even though I do not know how to speak German, I was able to tell what you were doing by the detailed pics.

Nice to see that you are able to put a few miles on her. I know that you have put forth a lot of time and effort to get it to the stage she is in now. Very nice job.

Tony
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my front manifold was after some weldings so out of line and cracked again so i decided to make a emergency manifold by cutting a rear manifold and weld it together to a front manifold.

too bad that my new welder has big problems with the wiretransport aaaaaand
my weldingskills in electrowelding suck very bad. in fact thats my 3rd time ever i welded electric.
So dont judge me

and it fits like a charm

ok still there is the missing bolt on cylinder 6 but ill fix it next weekend

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is my new sequential LPG system
its a lot more sophisticated than the old venturisystem i had before.
It has a lot of own Sensors even a own MAP Sensor that registers positive and negative pressure
then gas temp , coolant temp , air temp and and and .
With this system the fiero has now a real sequential injection and not the ugly batchfiring .
i take the signal of injector 1 and 2 then the system knows when to fire the other injectors .
That should get me a much better mpg

btw engine has now 5700 mls on the clock and its running strong
and it passed all technical inspections
------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 02-13-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page