Alternator pulley rusted and burning up belt by jaydaug2008
Started on: 01-14-2024 08:55 AM
Replies: 11 (235 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-22-2024 12:16 PM
jaydaug2008

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2024 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaydaug2008Send a Private Message to jaydaug2008Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello I have a 85 GT 2.8 4 speed and had to replace every pulley because of rust and my alternator pulley is the last one to replace.. I got anxious and skipped that pulley because 1st I couldn't find one or was unsure 2nd because its the hardest pulley to replace.. So I went and threw the belt on and ran it for a few miles brought it home and yep its being shredded...I have checked this entire forum and cant get a clear answer to where to get one or the fiero store doesnt sell alternators with the pulley......It's a 5 groove pulley...Where in the world can I get a replacement? Anybody know? Thank You

------------------
James Silver 1986 Fiero SE V6 Auto...Red 1985 GT 4 speed
Central Florida

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2024 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try a local auto electric shop. They should be able to supply either a new one or used off a core alternator. as long as it's the right size it doesn't matter what car it came from. sleek
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2024 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely the alt is "dead" & maybe other things w/ iffy bearings.
&/or you install the belt too tight or too loose...
https://web.archive.org/web...ierocave/serpent.htm

"dead" alt can be updated to CS130 that make electric power w/ less engine power.
see cave CS Alt page.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2024 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the entire alternator? If you go online to rockauto or partsgeek they sell fairly inexpensive replacements and usually come with the pulley. If the pulley is rusted to the point of eating belts, than the same water/environment that caused the rust has likely went through the alt so the bearings may fail shortly after you replace it.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2024 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me, it is a good time to upgrade.......

Upgrade to CS130 alternator by fierosound
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000035.html

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

jaydaug2008

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2024 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaydaug2008Send a Private Message to jaydaug2008Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep that's what I'm going to do is just replace the whole thing. This pulley is so rusted it has lumps and chunks of rust in the grooves...Took it around the block and my whole side of the engine is covered in rubber shavings...I'm going to have fun replacing this alternator because the top bolt is already broken off so it's going to have to come out with the bracket...Probably gonna need a bracket to...My life with this Fiero is just great lol...I'm sure there are posts about pulling the alternator out with the bracket on a 4 speed I will have to check out..

------------------
Central Florida

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2024 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was already mentioned but I would also upgrade to the CS130 alternator. You are already taking it out anyways.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2024 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaydaug2008:

I'm sure there are posts about pulling the alternator out with the bracket on a 4 speed I will have to check out..

You'll be fine. The 4-speed doesn't take up a lot of room like the automatic does, so there's plenty of space to drop it out the bottom, even with the bracket still attached.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 01-19-2024).]

jaydaug2008

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2024 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaydaug2008Send a Private Message to jaydaug2008Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually just started a new thread before I read the last comment and you just gave me hope!..been tossing and turning all night thinking about it!

------------------
Central Florida

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2024 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the reason for removing the alternator bracket? A lot more work than just removing the two bolts that hold the alternator.

If you do replace the alternator, pay attention to the bolt that is used for adjusting tension. I have found that almost every rebuilt alterntor has had that thread heli-coiled and they use a smaller bolt. The smaller bolt will easily pull through the bracket adjustment slot and break it. Maybe a washer on the bolt or get a new alternator that uses the correct flange head bolt.
jaydaug2008

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2024 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaydaug2008Send a Private Message to jaydaug2008Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool I just looked into that and your right I'll definitely add a washer...The bolt that it come with has no washer and I could totally see it spreading out the plate and cracking it...I appreciate the tip!! And Im replacing the bracket because the top bolt broke off.

------------------
Central Florida

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2024 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Washer there needs a thicker hard one or make one out scrap steel.
Or if you spare OE bolts w/ captive washers... may find good replacement there... better if washer has "teeth" sim to HL Lift Nuts w/ captive washer to mount to the "Frunk" wall.

The small bolt works w/ long bolt to tension the pulley.
If long bolt & clamp ends are loose or lube wrong then small bolt often won't hold tension & belt have a very short life.

Carefully lube the long bolt &/or inside of alt where goes thru so can't "rust" but keep all lube off faces where bracket & alt hits.
Same if use anti-seize for short bolt threads... Keep lube off of head etc that clamps the work.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock