What 3800 Series Is This? by rehoward
Started on: 10-15-2023 02:45 AM
Replies: 7 (204 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 10-26-2023 11:17 AM
rehoward

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2023 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rehowardSend a Private Message to rehowardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found this 3800 but the owner knows nothing about it. I assume it is a 3800 V6 but in my searches
at wrecking yards, I haven't seen one quite like this one. What is striking is the aluminum doghouse-style
intake and finned valve covers. Is this just an older series of 3800? See pics.

Randy

[This message has been edited by rehoward (edited 10-15-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2023 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Series I, not a terrible motor but no gain to swap that in, it's the first iteration of the fabled Series 2 and although reliable, well known for ignition issues. I would pass on it and go for a series II or Series III and have a Rock solid reliable engine.

EDIT:

that's not a 3800 if memory serves me correct, it's a 3.0L or a 3.3 L i think the Buick 3.0L made less HP than the Fiero's 2.8L

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 10-15-2023).]

rehoward

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2023 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rehowardSend a Private Message to rehowardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's a nice looking motor anyway. I thought it was an early one. What I am really looking for is an
SC motor as they are reported to have all the goodies, steel crank, sintered steel rods, hypoeutectic pistons.
Maybe other stuff I am not aware of. My plans are to drop an SC motor into the car and run the SC until I
can get a turbocharger put together. Then replace the SC with the turbo.

Is there a particular year or model of a factory supercharged engine I should be looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Randy
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2023 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything that I've ever heard suggested '98 or later. I'm sure that someone will jump in who knows the engine better than I do, however.
There are lots of variations on the Series II or Series III theme.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2023 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rehoward:

I found this 3800 but the owner knows nothing about it. I assume it is a 3800 V6 but in my searches
at wrecking yards, I haven't seen one quite like this one. What is striking is the aluminum doghouse-style
intake and finned valve covers. Is this just an older series of 3800? See pics.

Randy

That is NOT even considered a "3800" engine.

That is a 3.8L FWD V6 that predates the "3800" series of engines. Most likely a 1986-87 FWD 3.8L that won't have a roller cam or balance shaft (like 1988-newer 3800 engines received).

Since they don't have a balance shaft, they tend to run rough (read up on 90 deg V6 engines). I think these SFI 3.8L V6 FWD engines were only rated at 150hp max.

-Ryan

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 10-25-2023).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2023 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Originally posted by rehoward:

What I am really looking for is an SC motor as they are reported to have all the goodies, steel crank, sintered steel rods, hypoeutectic pistons.
Maybe other stuff I am not aware of. My plans are to drop an SC motor into the car and run the SC until I
can get a turbocharger put together. Then replace the SC with the turbo.

Is there a particular year or model of a factory supercharged engine I should be looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Randy

No 3800 SC engine ever came with a steel crank - they all received cast iron cranks.

3800 Series 1 and 2 Supercharged engines had cast connecting rods. 3800 Series 3 engines (I think) had powdered metal connecting rods.

3800 Series 1 engines have very little performance aftermarket support. Their design is based on the old 3.8L V6 which has a 1" taller deck height (making the engine taller and wider) than the Series 2 and 3 3800's.

3800 Series 2 and 3 engines are essentially the same concerning hard parts except for the aforementioned connecting rods. The only reason the 3800 Series 3 SC engine made 20 more HP than the Series 2 as due to the improved Gen5 blower.

If you are planning on doing a turbo build, you can use any Series 2 or 3 Supercharged engine. The stock internals will endure 7-13 psi of boost reliably, perhaps higher boost levels if you are running E85 or race gas. The biggest issue with these engines is the stock pistons; more precisely the placement of the top compression ring land (too close to the top of the piston - which exposes it to more heat) and a very tight factory ring gap (which was done for emissions). You need to be careful with stock pistons and ring gap specs if you plan on running a lot of boost with a turbo.

Check out my website for more info about my Turbo 3800 builds, and feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions (as I don't have time to visit this forum very often).

-Ryan

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2023 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

that's not a 3800 if memory serves me correct, it's a 3.0L or a 3.3 L i think the Buick 3.0L made less HP than the Fiero's 2.8L

GM/Buick 3.0 and 3.3L engines were all batch fire (MPFI), not Sequential. The "Sequential Fuel Injection V6" intake manifold emblem is unique to the FWD 3.8L V6's.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2023 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does look like an 86 / 87 3.8. More like the GN 3.8 than a 3800. The 1989 turbo T/A used those heads. The 3.8's were definitely a Jekyll and Hyde motor depending if it was N/A or the T-Type turbo. I wanted to see what I could do with the N/A version with common hot rodding techniques but never finished it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/107335.html

------------------
1965 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2017 BMW X3 3.0 T
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe 220K miles
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous 235K miles

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: