Turbo Ecotec build advice wanted by MattB703
Started on: 07-26-2023 12:06 PM
Replies: 5 (407 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 07-29-2023 06:48 PM
MattB703

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattB703Send a Private Message to MattB703Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, Long time lurker here.

I am in process of collecting the pieces to do a tubo Ecotec swap into an '88 coupe. In looking at potential doner cars I am faced with a choice and am looking for some community advice.

I am looking at GenII Ecotecs (LHU and variants) from cars like 2008-9 Cobalt SS or up to 2013 Regal GS. These engines have the turbo facing to the back of the car and intake tward the front. The other option is newer GenIII cars, 2014 and newer mostly, that have the turbo facing toward the front of the car and intake to the rear.

Any thoughts on advantages one way or the other?

------------------
Matt Berube

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2023 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there are guys here with a lot more experience than me, but the newer ecotec motors we see at my oil change shop ALL burn oil more than the older ones.

in regard to the turbo location, do you want more heat to the cabin or to the trunk?
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2023 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 'newer' gen Ecotec you speak of is the LTG motor, which was used in numerous vehicles, both FWD and RWD. The LTG is a pretty good motor, but if you get one to do your swap with, while the engine is out of a car I would recommend some rework on the engine to make it more reliable.
Basically those engines come with hypereutectic pistons and they can be the weakest link in the engine. I would recommend that you replace the pistons and rods with forged units. The LTG is equipped with forged rods, but it is my understanding that the aftermarket forged pistons available for this engine require new forged rods because the wrist pin diameter is different. Also if you plan to squeeze the engine for more power, you will need new camshafts that have a larger fuel high pressure pump lobe. The OE system is supposed to be reliable to 350HP, but above that you need more fuel and to get there you need to replace the camshafts with ones that have a larger high pressure pump lobe on the intake camshaft. Or you could get a Norstrum high pressure fuel pump kit, but that's about double the price of an intake camshaft.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2023 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's going to be hard to package the exhaust coming out the turbo, a muffler, and one or two tailpipes with a rear-exhaust engine. Are you looking to fit a catalyst as well? There won't be much space between the exhaust manifold and the trunk...

I'd go for a front-exhaust engine, with an exhaust line routing / muffler similar to stock Fiero. Things will be a lot more roomy.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2023 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run an LNF in my 09 Solstice GXP with 375 bhp - basically just a modified turbo that pushes more air. The engine internals are fine up into the 400 bhp range but above that forged pistons are advisable.

Your biggest issue will be packaging - will you have to move the turbo location etc. Are you looking at using the whole Cobalt engine and trans or mating the Ecotec to your stock Fiero transmission?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2023 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you need a LTG set up, I have one for sale.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/078635.html

Rob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock