Clutch half disengaged by Xenoblast
Started on: 02-12-2022 06:10 PM
Replies: 6 (536 views)
Last post by: PhatMax on 02-13-2022 02:49 PM
Xenoblast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2022 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 GT 5 speed

I had this problem a while back when I was moving houses, but it never came back so I ignored it. But I drove for an hour without taking it out of 5th gear, so when I finally exitted the highway the clutch was half disengaging. I know that for sure bc reverse was grinding if i tried to put it into that and it was hard to put it into gear. The clutch pedal also felt "sticky" the best way to describe it. After using it a couple more times it returned to normal.

I was wondering if this is a symptom of a failing slave cylinder, as I know thats a common problem.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2022 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it returns to normal with use, and you see no loss of fluid, I would think that the seals in the master cylinder are going bad.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2022 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

The clutch pedal also felt "sticky" the best way to describe it.

Although my clutch was still disengaging, this sounds similar to what I was experiencing a few months ago. Turned out to indeed be a worn out clutch master cylinder.

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

The clutch pedal in my Formula started feeling and sounding weird a week ago. When I release the clutch pedal, it starts to come up normally, but then the pedal sort of "catches", then goes limp before slowly returning all the way. As this is all occurring, there's also a squawking noise coming from somewhere up front (not from the engine bay). The clutch itself seems to be engaging and releasing properly.

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are old, so if you are replacing one replace them BOTH with Rodney Dickman units, and save your clutch from further premature wear.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And check for free range of motion on the throw out bearing arm....
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

They are old, so if you are replacing one replace them BOTH with Rodney Dickman units, and save your clutch from further premature wear.

Im probably gonna wait and replace everything when I do an s10 brake booster upgrade. then i will replace them both.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just throwing this out there….. last summer I removed my v6 and trans. Then car had only been sitting for 2 years ( restoring at the moment). As I removed the trans to repair, paint etc I find that I can’t move the clutch arm to remove the clutch….. at all …. I had to put a three foot bar to get it moving finally loose enough to work on. It wasn’t really rusty but had the typical amount of dust everywhere. The grease on the clutch arm was hard as a rock…. Crazy I tell you..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock