SCAN TOOL ERROR MESSAGE by eti engineer
Started on: 11-28-2021 06:47 PM
Replies: 15 (325 views)
Last post by: eti engineer on 12-05-2021 07:54 PM
eti engineer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gents,,,

I just installed the software on my laptop for using the scantool that the Fiero store sells. I had to go through steps to get beyond Windows Defender on my computer to get it done, but I figured that out. What a pain!!
But the issue I have now is that I am getting an error message with which I am unfamiliar and wonder if anyone can help me in getting beyond this so I can run the scanner on my ECM. The error message is pictured below.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats an error with Microsoft Access. Did you modify any of your Microsoft Office products?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-28-2021).]

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Thats an error with Microsoft Access. Did you modify any of your Microsoft Office products?

No I did not. The computer is fresh. There has been nothing more installed on the computer. I bought it a week ago. My other laptop is used solely for doing reports for work, getting emails, etc. When you say Microsoft Access, you are not talking the database management program, correct? I don't think that is offered as a part of the Microsoft Office suite anymore, is it? It used to be a long time ago. I used it when I was working for an engineering firm, writing queries to straighten out a messed-up Maximo database.

Do you have any suggestions? I haven't looked up this error on line, yet. But if you have any ideas how I can fix this, I would be very appreciative. I know enough about computers to be dangerous and that is about it. I always wanted to learn hacking, though...

[This message has been edited by eti engineer (edited 11-29-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eti engineer:

I just installed the software on my laptop for using the scantool that the Fiero store sells. But the issue I have now is that I am getting an error message...

I'm not familiar with the scan tool that the Fiero Store sells. Does it use a cable that connects your laptop to your ALDL port? If so, have you tried WinALDL? You could at least see if you're getting a signal into your laptop.

I know enough about computers to be dangerous and that is about it. I always wanted to learn hacking, though...https://www.fiero.nl/forum/icons/icon6.gif

Judging from the above fail with the smiley face... forget about it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-29-2021).]

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

LMAO!!!! Picked up on that, did you? My bad... I fixed it. Got rid of it...

[This message has been edited by eti engineer (edited 11-29-2021).]

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017

No, it doesn't connect directly to the laptop. The Scantool, as it is called, has a USB connector on one side, which plugs into the laptop, and the other side plugs into the ECM cable behind the console cigarette lighter cover.

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2021 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, it doesn't connect directly to the laptop. The Scantool, as it is called, has a USB connector on one side, which plugs into the laptop, and the other side plugs into the ECM cable behind the console cigarette lighter cover.

Seems like a poor design. The USB connector is attached to the adapter rather than having a 2 foot cable to allow the laptop to not be sitting sideways by your shifter while you're driving?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2021 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Seems like a poor design. The USB connector is attached to the adapter rather than having a 2 foot cable to allow the laptop to not be sitting sideways by your shifter while you're driving?

No it has a usb printer cable that plugs into the end. In the picture it looks like a usb but it is actually a printer cable port.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2021 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10273 posts
Member since Aug 2007

No I did not. The computer is fresh. There has been nothing more installed on the computer. I bought it a week ago. My other laptop is used solely for doing reports for work, getting emails, etc. When you say Microsoft Access, you are not talking the database management program, correct? I don't think that is offered as a part of the Microsoft Office suite anymore, is it? It used to be a long time ago. I used it when I was working for an engineering firm, writing queries to straighten out a messed-up Maximo database.

Do you have any suggestions? I haven't looked up this error on line, yet. But if you have any ideas how I can fix this, I would be very appreciative. I know enough about computers to be dangerous and that is about it. I always wanted to learn hacking, though...

What operating system are you running? The last time I tried to use mine was on an XP laptop. Let me know what operating system you're running and I'll load up a spare laptop and see if I get the same errors.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2021 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What operating system are you running? The last time I tried to use mine was on an XP laptop.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the issue, as the OP has stated... "The computer is fresh. There has been nothing more installed on the computer. I bought it a week ago.". It could very well be running Windows 10.

At the Fiero Store site, it states the following about their Scan Tool... "The ScanConverter hard- and software has been successfully tested on Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP." Hmmm...

This site might be of some help... Run Old Software on Windows 10 with Compatibility Mode

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-30-2021).]

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2021 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the issue, as the OP has stated... "The computer is fresh. There has been nothing more installed on the computer. I bought it a week ago.". It could very well be running Windows 10.

At the Fiero Store site, it states the following about their Scan Tool... "The ScanConverter hard- and software has been successfully tested on Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP." Hmmm...

This site might be of some help... Run Old Software on Windows 10 with Compatibility Mode

I am running WIndows 10, but there are instructions that came with it on how to use the scan tool with Windows 10. I have to defeat Windows Defender, which I have done and managed to install it on my laptop. I still get the runtime error.

I have an older laptop with XP on it and I have tried to run this with that computer. I still get the runtime error. Maybe I have defective software? I understand that this error is a Microsoft error, so maybe I need to see if I can get my money back. I wanted this scantool because supposedly it can give me "real-time" readouts, real-time being relative since there is like a 1.5 second delay (LOL -- how archaic!!!).

I will try the other program mentioned in here. I have the link and will copy it to my laptop from this computer and see what happens. Thanks so much for your input!!!
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2021 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...maybe I need to see if I can get my money back.

If you can, you should. I'm not sure why you selected that particular device, but IMO you paid twice as much as you needed to. For half of what you paid, you could buy the ALDL to USB cable that PFF member PhoneDawgz sells. Here is a link to what you need.

With this cable, you can then run free programs such as WinALDL and/or TunerPro which will be just as good (if not better) as whatever software came with the Fiero Store scan tool.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-01-2021).]

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you can, you should. I'm not sure why you selected that particular device, but IMO you paid twice as much as you needed to. For half of what you paid, you could buy the ALDL to USB cable that PFF member PhoneDawgz sells. Here is a link to what you need.

With this cable, you can then run free programs such as WinALDL and/or TunerPro which will be just as good (if not better) as whatever software came with the Fiero Store scan tool.

Thanks, Patrick. I think I will try this route. I am tired of messing around with this other stuff. Between Windows 10, Bitlocker, and archaic software, I think it is time for me to try a new path!! I appreciate your getting me headed down what appears to be the right path. Good thing I am trapped at home and can't travel or spend my money other ways right now. I'll just spend it on this. I'm 71, have no debts, live comfortably, and yet next year I am going to be forced to start taking money out of my 401K that I will most likely be just reinvesting in something, after the gubment takes their filthy lucre out of the sum. Why not Fiero stuff, huh?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2021 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI, I did try my software on my Windows 10 pc and had the exact same result. There were no errors in the system log so this may simply be a case of software that will not work on a newer machine.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2021 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just FYI, I did try my software on my Windows 10 pc and had the exact same result. There were no errors in the system log so this may simply be a case of software that will not work on a newer machine.

I think you are right. I have an older laptop, but I don't even know if it works anymore. So for $55.00 I ordered the one recommended by Patrick in here. I don't want to mess around with it.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2021 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017

Patrick, thanks for steering me straight on this. I just finally ordered the stuff that you posted. For 55 bucks, I am willing to give it a shot. I don't want to try and mess around with the stuff I got from the Fiero store. At the time, it was the only thing I had seen, but I shouldn't have been so impatient. I have an older laptop and I think XP is on it, but I don't feel like resurrecting it for something that may not work. What is the old saying for buyer beware?? Caveat Emptor? I learned. Thanks, again, Sensei..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock