Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Temp. Gauge Pegging. Tested Sensor & it's OK. No to power at Sensor Harness connector

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Temp. Gauge Pegging. Tested Sensor & it's OK. No to power at Sensor Harness connector by hdryder
Started on: 09-26-2021 08:27 PM
Replies: 6 (287 views)
Last post by: Forrest on 12-08-2021 06:42 AM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2021 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to trouble shoot my pegged Temp. Gauge. With a search, I saw a fix for this, but the link is no longer available.
In the meantime, I tested the sensor Cold and Hot, and am getting a continuity reading after it was heated up. I used a test light, with the key ON, at the wire harness connector for the Temp. Sensor, but could not get the test light to go on. So I am guessing that I am not getting power to the Sensor.

Is there a more common area where the wire may tend to have a break?
Which Fuse handles the circuit for the Temp. Gauge?

Thank you for the help with this issue.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2021 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the temp gauge stay pegged or go back to something normal when the car is running?
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2021 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2021 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do Not do any version of Temp Fix right now. That only solves pegging when starting.

Gauge pegged other times means most sender line is open same as sender not connected.

Sender wire can be open anywhere for many reasons.
Sender goes thru C500 Pin C2 for most years. Check there next. Also Ω test engine side to sender plug.

Gauge and Dash back often have problems.
Common examples:
Dash back "baord" looses "glue" holding copper where Big plug(s) go in and copper moves even shorted out.
Gauge "bolts" have loose/corroded nuts. When tighten, barely finger tight w/ nut driver shaft or if use a wreck fingers only near the head.
SS Clips between Gauge bolts and Dash back can get crap connection. Back plastic warp some over decades of use and clip get little/no tension to copper on back

Correct Light and Gauge layout for dash is here... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138175.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-05-2021).]

Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2021 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestion Ogre.
Mine is pegging so bad that it gets stuck. Ill check all the connection points and clean them up. Maybe slap some dielectric grease on them.
In addition I replaced the fan switch sensor. When I ground out the wire it works....its still not kicking on the fan though. Will check from the plug.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2021 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Forrest:

In addition I replaced the fan switch sensor. When I ground out the wire it works....its still not kicking on the fan though. Will check from the plug.

If you used a replacement stock fan switch, the fan won't kick on until engine reaches 235F.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2021 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the gauges. Used a wire brush on the fuel/temp posts as well as the pins that connect to the cluster. Reinstalled...no more pegging.

@FieroSound
I pulled the connector and tested directly where it connects to the sensor...grounded it out and the fan does come on so this seems to be an issue with the sensor.
At least according to the gauge it was almost in the red. On my sons 88 the fan kicks on when the temp needle gets just past the middle. Might need to order the one from Rodney Dickman. For now I am going to have to just ground it out. I live in SE Texas so the motor being too cold is not an issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock